Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Andrigaar posted:

Though it's up to debate if you want a roller coaster ride of up and down, and, what most of you guys want, Silent Hill 2's descent into the abyss until the credits role.

Berserk is quite a bit longer than Silent Hill 2. I don't think that it would be palatable to most people without some sort of comic relief. In a story this long, you really need a break from the bleakness every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Berserk is quite a bit longer than Silent Hill 2. I don't think that it would be palatable to most people without some sort of comic relief. In a story this long, you really need a break from the bleakness every now and then.

:ssh: We're the only two with that opinion right now

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Andrigaar posted:

Count me in. If Berserk were shorter, or the bleakness started out in really low amounts and got progressively worse, it'd be a different story; but Guts' life is pretty much poo poo day 1.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Puck, and the lighter elements of Berserk in general, serve an incredibly important purpose; it's easy to just ladle on the horror and despair until it eventually becomes meaningless to the reader. It's not a question of comic relief so much as contrast, something to snap us out of the mundane grotesquerie, make us take a step back and go holy poo poo this is hosed up.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Andrigaar posted:

I don't think anyone except x-treme teenagers and grim dark people for whom the future is only war want Berserk to jettison it's comedic elements. Lighter characters like Judeau and that one prostitute (the one that isn't an insane pathetic weenie) from the Tower of Sacrifice are pretty beloved.

Puck, on the other hand, it's like, hey man, how about fewer Doraemon referencs? Saint Seiya is oaky though.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think anyone except x-treme teenagers and grim dark people for whom the future is only war want Berserk to jettison it's comedic elements.

Don't lump me in with these :saddowns:

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
At this point in the story, Guts is starting to soften up quite a bit. He's got companions again, and he actually seems to care about their well being. I think that Puck was the blunt object that Miura used to hammer him into this new shape.

In Guts's (is that correct?) past, he was given every possible reason to refuse human contact. Every single person that he's been close to has either died, tried to kill him, or gone insane.

Honestly, I think that the story of Guts trying to reclaim his humanity is one of the best parts of Berserk.

LordMune posted:

Puck, and the lighter elements of Berserk in general, serve an incredibly important purpose; it's easy to just ladle on the horror and despair until it eventually becomes meaningless to the reader. It's not a question of comic relief so much as contrast, something to snap us out of the mundane grotesquerie, make us take a step back and go holy poo poo this is hosed up.

This is an excellent point.

Edit: Proofreading is good!

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 30, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Honestly, I think that the story of Guts trying to reclaim his humanity is one of the best parts of Berserk.

Additionally, the fact that Puck is in fact not human, and in a way a kin of the monsters he's slaying (a product of the realm of the unconscious, the spiritual) further emphasizes the growth and changes in him. His return to humanity is brought in part by something not human at all, and yet a thing that shows far more humanity and, often times, thoughtfulness than him.

TheStupidOne
Apr 7, 2007

by angerbot
A second trailer aired on Fuji TV about two hours ago. It should be up somewhere within the next few hours.

The second trailer is also in 2.35:1, which lends further credence to this Berserk project being a movie. That makes sense, since there's a very strong chance that Studio 4C has been working on it for over two years. The second trailer has a Zodd shot that's exactly the same as last year's leaked screencaps.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

TheStupidOne posted:

A second trailer aired on Fuji TV about two hours ago. It should be up somewhere within the next few hours.

The second trailer is also in 2.35:1, which lends further credence to this Berserk project being a movie. That makes sense, since there's a very strong chance that Studio 4C has been working on it for over two years. The second trailer has a Zodd shot that's exactly the same as last year's leaked screencaps.

There's also a chance that the studio is being incredibly misleading about this, and that the new "animation project" is nothing but these commercials promoting Vol. 35.
It could be that they just decided to finally use some test footage they had lying around for a couple of years.
It would be an incredibly dickish move on their part, but we haven't actually had confirmation of a new anime series yet. Just the commercials.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaJjunb3kw

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Oh my god a berserk movie. I think this is the culmination of my entire life.

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!

Not quite sure how i feel about this one compared to the first little clip we had.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If it's a movie...

...Well I'm sure it'll look very nice :smith:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

LordMune posted:

It's like Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. The good things that happen to people are there so you can take them away and crush them into the ground. Casca, Puck trying to lighten the mood, the entire Band of the Hawks thing. It's all about having something to destroy.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
was that scene in the second trailer manga specific? I don't remember.

Also, sucks if it's a movie. I want a series or extended ova.

edit:
or a movie series like Kara no Kyoukai!

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 1, 2010

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

GoldenNugget posted:

was that scene in the second trailer manga specific? I don't remember.

It was from the scene where the Band of the Hawk encounters Zodd for the first time

TheStupidOne
Apr 7, 2007

by angerbot
There's a third trailer up, featuring Caska.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhVxZaBl_pQ

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

TheStupidOne posted:

There's a third trailer up, featuring Caska.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhVxZaBl_pQ

It almost looks like they're only advertising that latest Berserk volume. Unless there's really a new movie coming and they're only selecting flashback scenes... it looks like it will be the Band of the Hawk saga again.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Well, that's terrible news. Why would they not do something new? It's just like a remastering, which is cool, but sort of sucks.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.

hog wizard posted:

Well, that's terrible news. Why would they not do something new? It's just like a remastering, which is cool, but sort of sucks.

It's been 12+ years since the original aired. I look at it as a chance to redo Berserk properly with the glaring omissions back in, such as Wyald, SK, Puck and more. There's a lot more material now too. We might get more of the first 3 volumes that were missing, the Godo storyline expanded, Lost Children, the Iron Chain Knights, all of that.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I'm now hoping that if this does well enough that they'll make more of them, assuming they use the this reboot of sorts to throw back in some of the missing plot points from the original.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Cronus posted:

It's been 12+ years since the original aired. I look at it as a chance to redo Berserk properly with the glaring omissions back in, such as Wyald, SK, Puck and more. There's a lot more material now too. We might get more of the first 3 volumes that were missing, the Godo storyline expanded, Lost Children, the Iron Chain Knights, all of that.

I may be a heretic for saying this, but I could do without Puck.

Berserk worked really well as an anime without having a silly joke mascot. What small rays of humor and happiness that surface are quickly beaten down, usually with a sword.

From the trailers it looks more and more like a re-image then just pushing on with the story. That's a pity, there are so many chapters that would be awesome to see animated. Even with Puck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Puck was an absolutely necessary element when he was first introduced, it's just that he's kind of superceded by human characters in Guts's new quasi-family.

That said I still find it kind of interesting that he's so possessive of the Behelit, and hopefully Elf Island will give him more relevance.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Kalas posted:

I may be a heretic for saying this, but I could do without Puck.

Berserk worked really well as an anime without having a silly joke mascot. What small rays of humor and happiness that surface are quickly beaten down, usually with a sword.

Even beyond his status as comic relief, Puck has an invaluable role in that

1) Guts would be dead dozens of times over without his help
2) He, Zodd, and the Apostles provide the hooks for the Fantasy part of "Dark fantasy" that becomes more and more prominent. If Puck hadn't been around, it would've made the presence of Flora and Schierke relatively harder to swallow, because we would've been presented with no evidence that anything good can come of the supernatural, ever. Hell, Guts probably would hate magic worse than Conan if it wasn't for Puck

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I must be the only one who actually really likes Puck. He's one of my favorite parts of the manga, and I love seeing him flit around as a Gundam training Isidoro. His cute SD sight gags make me smile just about every time.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

tsob posted:

I must be the only one who actually really likes Puck.

At least you aren't the only one who appreciates his presence in the story.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Puck is unironically one of my favorite characters in the manga, easily tied with Isidoro as my favorites in Guts' "party"

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Zorak posted:

Puck is unironically one of my favorite characters in the manga, easily tied with Isidoro as my favorites in Guts' "party"

Puck is also a great bridge to the audience by being able to provide references that no one in the Berserk universe should.

Posting this again cause it makes me chuckle every time.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Cronus posted:

It makes sense to incorporate Puck and Skull Knight into the series, since they're integral to the plot; Wyald and Rosine the fairy apostle are pretty much filler.
I certainly like their arcs, and I don't wanna be one of those "mere filler :rolleyes:" but there's so much real story to cover. I'd rather they just skip to the important stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

It makes sense to incorporate Puck and Skull Knight into the series, since they're integral to the plot; Wyald and Rosine the fairy apostle are pretty much filler.
I certainly like their arcs, and I don't wanna be one of those "mere filler :rolleyes:" but there's so much real story to cover. I'd rather they just skip to the important stuff.

Guts as a murderous wanderer isn't pointless! Keep in mind the main story arc ongoing is largely him redeeming himself from being a mindless monster, You're basically saying "ok, remove the berserk from Berserk".

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Zorak posted:

Guts as a murderous wanderer isn't pointless! Keep in mind the main story arc ongoing is largely him redeeming himself from being a mindless monster, You're basically saying "ok, remove the berserk from Berserk".

I get what you're saying. And those arcs make sense when you consider Miura's long-form storytelling. I just feel that unless the animation company is committing to a 100+ episode ongoing series, any new anime should focus on the "meat" of the story, or at least elements of the story most relevant to where the manga currently is.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
Puck is awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 3, 2010

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!

Hatter106 posted:

To bad then that the fairy apostle was one of the best arcs.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Commercial 4 is just the same animation we've seen in the previous three plus the words "Berserk comes alive."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

badOrigo posted:

To bad then that the fairy apostle was one of the best arcs.

And probably the absolute least likely to get animated, what with the vast amounts of child murder.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

dis astranagant posted:

And probably the absolute least likely to get animated, what with the vast amounts of child murder.

This is Japan. There's a show about an elementary school teacher falling in love with his student. Trust me, they'll have no problem animating this.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So did nothing come out of those animation bits in the end? Were they really just for the commercials?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
There's supposed to be more news in the next issue of, uh, whatever that Japanese magazine that Berserk is in, Young Animal? Along with a new chapter. So we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobracommander
Oct 6, 2010
I'm really looking forward to this, especially with the way the visuals in the trailers look, especially Skull Knight and Zodd. The original was pretty fun and I don't see how they could make a poor job with the manga providing such a solid base.

If/when it gets dubbed I'd like to see some of the previous cast used again. It was one of the better dubs, for the most part.