Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Ziir posted:

Oktoberfest is extremely overrated and I don't see why people would spend hundreds of dollars flying to Germany just to go.
I'd say neither do most germans. I guess you would've been warned, but in your last post you said you don't give a gently caress what it's like...

Oktoberfest is like a Michael Bay movie: big, loud and awful - and millions of people flock to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ziir posted:

Oktoberfest is extremely overrated and I don't see why people would spend hundreds of dollars flying to Germany just to go. Plus I got forcefully thrown out of an outdoor seating area outside of a tent for some unexplained reason so gently caress Oktoberfest. No seriously, I finished drinking my first liter of beer and left the area to go piss, walked back into the area and then some douchebag security guy grabbed me by the arm and threw me out. I called a friend to come tell the rear end in a top hat that my poo poo (jacket and beer) was inside and that I just went to take a piss and was gone for maybe two minutes. He got thrown out too.

Well, everyone living in Munich for more than a few years agrees with you.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm just upset because I got to drink exactly one liter of beer before they wouldn't let me back in for whatever unexplained reason. Munich was fun other than not actually being able to do what I went there to do.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Where did you go to piss? Usually there are toilets within each beergarden area. Once you go past security they won't let you back in.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
A few friends of mine went last weekend. As a bigger group they had to book well in advance (months) to get a table. They had to order food in advance and they all had to order the same food. gently caress that poo poo. Next time just go to Stuttgart.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
There was a piss trough right next to the Biergarten I was in, like maybe 30m away from my table. When I walked out there were no guards stamping people or anything. I didn't even see any guards at all until one grabbed me and told me to loving leave.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Ok, I don't see anything you did wrong.

... except going to the Wiesn. :smug:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Around that time of the year you probably would have real chances to find a beer festival simply by driving around the countryside at random.

What was a nice surprise the first time I came to Munich was the Hofbräuhaus. Fully expecting an overpriced tourist trap it turned out that the prices are actually reasonable, and the inebriated asian tourists mesmerized by Blasmusik make for quite an unique atmosphere.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
I say this every year but:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannstatter_Wasen

Do it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't know about the rest of germany but in Berlin it's been overcast for three days and a German friend says this typically lasts until April, please explain how you all manage to get through this without comitting suicide?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It involves drugs and a whole lot of denial.

Just wait until snow season starts, last year winter services broke down almost entirely and the pavements were iced over inches thick for weeks.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

freebooter posted:

I don't know about the rest of germany but in Berlin it's been overcast for three days and a German friend says this typically lasts until April, please explain how you all manage to get through this without comitting suicide?

I'm not in Berlin but it's been overcast and cloudy and light rains for the past weeks or so and I'm loving it and wouldn't have it any other way. But then again I come from a place where it's sunny and ranges between the temperatures of it's hot as gently caress and holy poo poo it's hot as gently caress. I think living in those kinds of conditions are more apt to causing suicide because you are confined inside a building/car the entire day and night unless you really like melting.

Edit: I think I'm just some kind of weird exception though. I walked into my room every day and think it's "too hot" even though it's something like 72 F (22 C) change into shorts. None of my friends have ever understood me. Some people just like the cold and "gloomy" weather okay? :(.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 27, 2010

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

freebooter posted:

It doesn't stay like this until April. We usually have distinct seasons so expect low temps and a bit of snow during the winter (might be different in Berlin). I like fall weather, so I really don't mind. I can do without constant rain, but love the wind.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I thought I did too but that was back when I got 10 days of it per year (Western Australia). It's not so much the cold and gloom, it's the drizzle. I was walking around in the rain for two hours the other day before it even occurred to me to buy an umbrella.

But snow would actually rock. ESPECIALLY if it messed up all the services. There's nothing a provincial Australian lad likes more than exciting weather that disrupts society.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

freebooter posted:

ESPECIALLY if it messed up all the services. There's nothing a provincial Australian lad likes more than exciting weather that disrupts society.

Last winter was the first time our Autobahn (or any Autobahn for that matter) had to be closed for a day or two because they ran out of salt. I think I haven't shoveled that much snow from my driveway in years either.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah, the last winter was the worst by a long stretch, particularly in Berlin. I think we had so much loving ice on the streets that we dreaded above-zero temperatures because that would mean that the snow'd melt and then freeze again instantly, creating a freshly smoothened and slippery as gently caress surface.

I don't think Berlin is that bad during fall/winter/spring, though - it's just a bit harder to socialize outdoors.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah as another aussie who went through winter in Berlin last year you get used to it. Lots of subzero days, I still remember this:

I had never really seen it snow before heh. Just stay active, there is a big swimming pool at landsberger allee (schwimmhalle) and I would try go 3x a week. The worst time is around christmas cause everyone stops work/school so are just sitting round with their thoughts in the crappy weather.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Winter/late fall sucks though if you use public transportation.

"Sorry, the train is late because of snow"
"Sorry, the train is late because there are wet leaves on the tracks"
"Sorry, the train is late because some rear end in a top hat offed himself by jumping in front of a train"

Missed 2 exams because of that last year...and I already left an hour earlier to be sure :v:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Can anyone tell me about Wolfenbuttel?

Apparently my great-great-great-etcetera grandfather came from Wolfenbuttel, but was brought to North America to help fight against the Americans during the American Revolution, and then settled in what would become Canada after that.

just another fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 29, 2010

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Small town with an intact historic center. 50.000 people. Probably boring as gently caress.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I asked in the general Europe megatread but I guess I'll ask here too.

Is there any type of packaged food from the US that you guys wish you could buy here? Or if you could ask an American to send you something edible, what would it be? My mom is sending me my glasses that I forgot to bring with me this week and there's some extra room in the box to throw in something small, but I can't think of what to ask her to send. Something that's "American" but isn't available in Germany is what I was thinking. For example a Russian friend of mine is having his mom send some caviar, and a Spanish guy I know had some jamón sent to him.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Ziir posted:

Is there any type of packaged food from the US that you guys wish you could buy here? Or if you could ask an American to send you something edible, what would it be? My mom is sending me my glasses that I forgot to bring with me this week and there's some extra room in the box to throw in something small, but I can't think of what to ask her to send. Something that's "American" but isn't available in Germany is what I was thinking. For example a Russian friend of mine is having his mom send some caviar, and a Spanish guy I know had some jamón sent to him.

Beef jerky and spray cheese :haw:

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Ziir posted:

American pancake mix.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

FLX posted:

Beef jerky and spray cheese :haw:

Beef jerky sounds amazing right now. Does it not exist here in Germany? Now that I think about it I've never seen it at any grocery stores. I think I'll go with beef jerky and some seasoning/dry rub that I can use to make some good grilled meat unless there's another good suggestion.

Edit: Pancake- I've always made them from scratch.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
If you can even find beef jerky here it's usually way overpriced (a few € for 25g).

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elwood posted:

If you can even find beef jerky here it's usually way overpriced (a few € for 25g).

poo poo, beef jerky it is. Now to find that thread on SA-Mart.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Ziir posted:

Beef jerky sounds amazing right now. Does it not exist here in Germany?
Landjäger is fairly close (semi-dried sausage), but is far superior to beef jerky.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Präteritum gegen Perfekt

Ich lernte, dass ich mit dem Präteritum schreiben soll, aber ich soll mit dem Perfekt sprechen. Ist das immer so? Warum? It's much "easier" to say "ich war in ..." than "ich bin in ... gegangen." or something like that.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 5, 2010

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Ziir posted:

Präteritum gegen Perfekt

Ich lernte, dass ich mit dem Präteritum schreiben soll, aber ich soll mit dem Perfekt sprechen. Ist das wirklich? Warum? It's much "easier" to say "ich war in ..." than "ich bin in ... gegangen." or something like that.
Das Präteritum wäre hier "ich ging in (den Zoo)". Das würdest du so im Sprachgebrauch nicht finden.
"War" ist hier ein Ersatz für das eigentliche Verb (gehen) und zusammen mit "wollte" ein Ausnahmefall.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Remember always use the Dativ instead of the Genitiv. Only then you will sound like a true German.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Ziir posted:

Präteritum gegen Perfekt

Ich lernte, dass ich mit dem Präteritum schreiben soll, aber ich soll mit dem Perfekt sprechen. Ist das immer so? Warum? It's much "easier" to say "ich war in ..." than "ich bin in ... gegangen." or something like that.

Das war für mich auch ein bisschen verwirrend. Alle haben gemeint, das Präteritum sei etwas schriftliches. Darum habe ich gedacht, man muss das immer gebrauchen, wenn man schreibt. Allerdings habe ich schnell herausgefunden, "Schrift" in dem Sinne bedeutet eigentlich nur Romane/Erzählungen.

Hier eine Liste von Verben, die häufig im Präteritum in der (gesprochenen) Sprache verwendet werden. Häufiger im Perfekt verwendete Verben sind oben auf der Liste.

sein
gelten
wollen
kennen
stehen
denken
finden
sagen
geben
sehen/aussehen
gehen
meinen
dauern
anfangen

Allen anderen Verben wirst du wahrscheinlich nur im Perfekt begegnen.

Liface fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 6, 2010

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Zumindest in Bayern und Österreich werden bis auf "sein" und "wollen" alle Verben sprachlich nur im Perfekt gebraucht (kommt natürlich drauf an, wie "hochdeutsch" der Sprecher auftreten will).

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Thanks! It's more clear to me now. I'm still confused but I guess it'll come in time. I asked because on Facebook, a German friend from writes to me in perfect when it comes up. Another friend though who's Russian but learned German in Germany (and is at a C+ level or something like that) writes to me in the simple past.

Can someone help me translate one of my favorite quotes from The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo? In English, it goes, “I’m an adventurer, looking for treasure.” The first part should be something like "Ich bin Abenteurer," but I'm not sure how to write the second part.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I guess "Ich bin ein Abenteurer auf der Suche nach Schätzen." works but it sounds kinda lame.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd probably go with "auf Schatzsuche." Sounds nicely natural.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Why does it sound lame?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ziir posted:

Why does it sound lame?

It doesn't.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That's why I said "kinda". With "auf Schatzsuche" it does sound better though, but you got to remember that it's a translation of a translation - isn't it?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
After some googling the official translation seems to be ›Ich bin ein Abenteurer auf dem Weg zu meinem Schatz.‹

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Thanks guys. Yes, the original novel is in Portuguese.

Edit: Why is there an article in front of Abenteurer?