Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

What is the actual term for top-down learning? I mean taking a large completed project and deconstructing it to learn how the elements work together, like taking an engine apart to see how it works. The opposite would be learning elementary concepts and slowly learning to put them together.

Reverse engineering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not sure if this is the best thread in which to ask this, feel free to direct me to another.

I use Thunderbird 3.1 on OS X. One guy keeps sending me stupid chain emails that he also sends to others. Does anyone know how I'd create a filter that will match messages that a) are from him and b) are to multiple people (I don't think it's using the CC field). Part a) is easy, not sure how to accomplish part b). I tried matching when the to field contains a comma, but this didn't work.

christovsky
Mar 31, 2007

It's called multitasking ya jerk
I don't want to mess up the thread with this boring and specific question but I really want to buy these timberlands off ebay and for some reason the seller won't answer my question. I've googled and I can't find anything and even found the exact same pair on the official timberland ebay seller and asked them and they say my answer will come in 2 to 3 business days :'( I can't find the exact same pair to ask any other vendors. I live in Australia and I can't find an actual store that sells timberlands.

so: the question. Does anyone know if these boots are steel capped? I don't want them to be. They are "# 15130 Waterproof Chocorua Trail Hiker Gore-Tex Membrane Boot" and look like http://www.shoe-store.net/timberland-15130-waterproof-chocorua-trail-hiker-gore-tex-membrane-boot-mens

I thought maybe in all the posters here someone has the exact same pair

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Does a program exist that levels the audio in a group of audio files? I burn a lot of mp3 CDs, and I'm really loving sick of having all the songs peak at around the same volume level, except a few obscenely louder ones and several really quiet ones.

Is there such a thing as a program that will level the audio of a bunch of files at once? I don't want to have to open each one individually in a sound editing program and have to do it by hand if I don't have to.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Huntersoninski posted:

Does a program exist that levels the audio in a group of audio files? I burn a lot of mp3 CDs, and I'm really loving sick of having all the songs peak at around the same volume level, except a few obscenely louder ones and several really quiet ones.

Is there such a thing as a program that will level the audio of a bunch of files at once? I don't want to have to open each one individually in a sound editing program and have to do it by hand if I don't have to.

This guy: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Are there any legal hoops to jump through if a band wants to put a cover song on their CD? Like, does Led Zeppelin get a cut of the profits for every band that's recorded a version of "Whole Lotta Love"?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Binowru posted:

Are there any legal hoops to jump through if a band wants to put a cover song on their CD? Like, does Led Zeppelin get a cut of the profits for every band that's recorded a version of "Whole Lotta Love"?

Yes, Lots of legal hoops depending on who the artist is that you're planning on covering; Provided you're doing a small run (under 2,500), You've gotta cut a licensing deal with their publisher or the person controlling the mechanical rights (in most major label cases that'd be Harry Fox), and pay them a set fee plus a percent of profit made from the song, generally hovering around 50%. Interestingly, you don't pay based on how many units are sold, but on how many you press. The minimum royalty amounts are set by Congress, and are about 9.1 cents a copy.

So long as the band covering the song is recording and selling it, they're liable for a lot of stuff and there's a bunch of legal wrangling where certain artists and labels are concerned. If you're dealing with an indie artist or label (Non ASCAP/BMI/SESAC), these can often be handshake deals.

Interestingly, if you're doing over 2,500 units andif the laws are still the same as they were about 5 years ago, artists and publishers are *required* to give you a quote on rights. It may be astronomically high, but they must provide one.

Edit: accuracy

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 3, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/music_copyright_law.html

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Thanks for the great info, guys.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Binowru posted:

One specific interesting case is that the Beastie Boys did a version of 'I'm Down' that they wanted to put on record, but Michael Jackson (who owned the rights) would not allow them to release it as a record. (though he could not stop them from performing it live if they had wanted to).

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Today I was thinking about how to save on my electricity bill. Would leaving the blinds/curtains closed to block out heat but turn on the lights be better than leaving the blinds open to let in light while leaving the lights off?

Central Texas area if it matters.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
My apartment has carpet, not too deep but not berber either. I have an area rug that is in the living room. It moves around and bunches up a lot, though. Is there anything I can put under it to keep it in place? I know, "don't put carpet on carpet, idiot," but it really ties the room together.

My roommate won't let me nail it in :mad:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know of any 360 controllers that can stand up to a bit more abuse than the standard Microsoft ones?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It depends on if you need a transformer or just a plug adapter. You need a transformer for a device that only accepts 120v input and an adapter for a device that accepts 110-250v which a lot of newer electronic devices do. All electronic devices in the US have a tag that shows the required input voltage and amperage.

If you need a transformer you will have to get one that has the load capacity for the amount of devices you are connecting. Again the "UL" label will specify the maximum amperage for each device that you can add together to come up with a good floor to work from when buying a transformer.

Unless you have hair dryers and that kind of thing you probably only need a plug adapter and most decent hotels offer a ~120v outlet, although it's usually in the bathroom and fused for a few amps.
This is great stuff, thanks. We'll be bringing the usual things - laptop and cell phone chargers, curling iron...that's probably it, actually. I'll check the labels on our things and then see where we stand.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My apartment has carpet, not too deep but not berber either. I have an area rug that is in the living room. It moves around and bunches up a lot, though. Is there anything I can put under it to keep it in place? I know, "don't put carpet on carpet, idiot," but it really ties the room together.

My roommate won't let me nail it in :mad:

THere are products that designed to handle that. Go to a place that handles 'Oriental' Rugs for instance, because people do put them over already installed carpeting. Best to take pictures that give them some idea of the loft of the underlying rug, and the backing of the upper rug.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 3, 2010

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Travakian posted:

This guy: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

This is the best and you are the best. Thank you!

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

hooah posted:

Does anyone know of any 360 controllers that can stand up to a bit more abuse than the standard Microsoft ones?

They seem pretty tough to me from what I've handled. At least better than Wii and PS3. Built like them 'murican cars.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dudebro posted:

They seem pretty tough to me from what I've handled. At least better than Wii and PS3. Built like them 'murican cars.

Yeah, they don't stand up to the floor so well. Even just dropping mine a few times onto linoleum seems too much for them.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a way to have firefox open a pile of in a new window with a bunch of tabs in it?

There are a bunch of sites I don't always need but when I need them, I need all of them. They are filled with Flash and Animated Gifs, and they wear down my battery and make my lap hot when I just leave them open.

SO I would like to have a one button press to open these ten tabs.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
What browser are you using? It looks like in Chrome you can right-click on a bookmarks folder and click "Open all bookmarks." It looks like FF has something similar, "Open all in tabs". If you're using IE, er, stop it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

What browser are you using? It looks like in Chrome you can right-click on a bookmarks folder and click "Open all bookmarks." It looks like FF has something similar, "Open all in tabs". If you're using IE, er, stop it.

Thank you for pointing out something that apparently I never noticed, even though I saw it a couple hundred times.

It is built right into Firefox as you say. (Safari lets you turn it into a one click button, but a drop down in good enough.)

Thanks again.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Where does "I come from a world you may not understand" come from? When I google it mostly get that picture of the dog with a sock on its head, or other macros.

Edit: Huh, there was not an attachment there when I originally posted this so I uploaded it to a image site. And that's why there were two dog macros.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 3, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
edit: No, that's not right. Nevermind

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

drat Bananas posted:

Today I was thinking about how to save on my electricity bill. Would leaving the blinds/curtains closed to block out heat but turn on the lights be better than leaving the blinds open to let in light while leaving the lights off?

Central Texas area if it matters.

Assuming the lights are CFL, closing the blinds and using the lights is probably a better choice.

Somewhat obvious question: what temp do you set your AC to when you leave during the day?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Last night i partially tore off my toenail. It hurt and bled a decent amount. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide, and let the nail sit down back onto the nail bed. this morning, the nail was still bleeding and oozing around the edges, and the nail seemed to be stuck back down on the bed. how should i proceed with first aid from here?

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
So my wife turned on our house heater for the first time this year. This lead to two things happening, one a good awful burning smell came out of the vents (My experience with radiators and space heaters tells me this is normal) how the second thing I've never had happen before. The unit started periodically beeping. For reference it went like this BEEP BEEP BEEP *2second pause* BEEP BEEP BEEP *repeat* It stopped for a few minutes but when it happened again I just shut the unit off for fear of something going wrong.

I tried to find out what type of units it is, but unfortunately it's either really old, or some previous tenet took off any identifying information.

Any one have an idea as the what the deal is? Should I be worried? I'll happily call the land lord if I'm sure there's an issue, but we've had him out to the house several times over the last week and I don't want to bother him any more than I have to. (He has had two mini strokes of late)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

SIHappiness posted:

Assuming the lights are CFL, closing the blinds and using the lights is probably a better choice.

Somewhat obvious question: what temp do you set your AC to when you leave during the day?
There's pretty much always someone in the house and we keep it between 76-79 in the summer. When it gets cold we'll open the blinds primarily, obviously :)
I don't think they're CFL (those are the curly ones right?) but I'll look into them when these burn out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

There's pretty much always someone in the house and we keep it between 76-79 in the summer. When it gets cold we'll open the blinds primarily, obviously :)
I don't think they're CFL (those are the curly ones right?) but I'll look into them when these burn out.

Nice stuff about CFLs: way more energy efficient, way less heat produced, last 4 or five times as long.

Bad stuff about CFLs: big time toxic waste when they do finally die.

At some point we will get to LEDs which last forever.

CFLS will save you on your A/C because they really do make less heat.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

kapalama posted:

Nice stuff about CFLs: way more energy efficient, way less heat produced, last 4 or five times as long.

At some point we will get to LEDs which last forever.

CFLS will save you on your A/C because they really do make less heat.

Cool, I googled information about them and I'll definitely switch to them when I'm living in a place long enough for their lifespan, but I'm only here through December. I guess I could take the expensive-ish things with me when I leave but that seems like a dick move to my landlord since when I moved in all bulbs were included.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Skadi posted:

Where does "I come from a world you may not understand" come from? When I google it mostly get that picture of the dog with a sock on its head, or other macros.

Edit: Huh, there was not an attachment there when I originally posted this so I uploaded it to a image site. And that's why there were two dog macros.

In 2006's ULTRAVIOLET. Violet (Milla Jovovich) says it in both the ads and the opening narration.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 3, 2010

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

drat Bananas posted:

Cool, I googled information about them and I'll definitely switch to them when I'm living in a place long enough for their lifespan, but I'm only here through December. I guess I could take the expensive-ish things with me when I leave but that seems like a dick move to my landlord since when I moved in all bulbs were included.

Take the bulbs you have now and put them in a box and put it in a cabinet in your kitchen or bathroom. Then just swap them back when you move out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eyeball posted:

Take the bulbs you have now and put them in a box and put it in a cabinet in your kitchen or bathroom. Then just swap them back when you move out.

Seconding this. CFLs last so long that you probably want to take them with you anyway. Light bulbs rarely last the length of a lease. CFLs do.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Trans-Angeles posted:

....Should I be worried? I'll happily call the land lord if I'm sure there's an issue, but we've had him out to the house several times over the last week and I don't want to bother him any more than I have to. (He has had two mini strokes of late)

Yes, and don't feel bad about calling the property owner/landlord unless you're just making things up. ;)

Especially when it comes to potential fire hazards or carbon monoxide poisoning.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Speaking of CFLs and landlords, has anyone else noticed that the new Futurama episodes look a lot more like The Simpsons than they used to?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a name for the situation in which someone performs a task so poorly it motivates others, who were previously unwilling, to do that task?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Not really. It is a small amount of mercury in the base - less than they used in old thermometers. All you have to is find a proper disposal site which can usually be done by calling your city or county government. Usually they can be recycled into new CFL bulbs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

As little as 1mg of mercury per bulb is not "big time toxic waste." True, you should not throw them in the trash, but Home Depot for example will take old bulb off your hands for no charge.

Find a CFL recycler near you: http://earth911.com/

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
There're these cooking videos on youtube.

First one is of a really nasty fat girl making the most disgusting thing - I think it's pasta salad and she uses a whole tub of mayonnaise and tons of sugar.

The other is a series of videos by some guy who lives in a terrible disgusting filthy house and he is cooking omelettes or something with nasty utensils.

Does anyone remember any of these videos and could you give me the links? Much appreciated!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brigadier Sockface posted:

First one is of a really nasty fat girl making the most disgusting thing - I think it's pasta salad and she uses a whole tub of mayonnaise and tons of sugar.

The other is a series of videos by some guy who lives in a terrible disgusting filthy house and he is cooking omelettes or something with nasty utensils.

Does anyone remember any of these videos and could you give me the links? Much appreciated!

I know what you mean with the first one, but I don't know her name or anything. I think she took them off youtube, but there are some copies from other people available I think. The other is a fellow named Masaokis, who is an alcoholic. There is a thread about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Brigadier Sockface posted:

The first one is Simply Sarah, or Simply Sara. She did take down the video but there're plenty of copies.

Why do you hate yourself?