Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]Killed the guy and got a Besi word. Claims it will make my spells and weapon level 2 if I equip it, but in the weapon menu it's still showing as level 1. Oh well, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mug posted:

Just finished and got the first ending, fantastic, going straight back in for more.

The second playthrough is the best part of the game. Enjoy it :allears:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think I'm gonna pick it up for real once I get another 360. I rented it before and I loved it. It has a great soundtrack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fuzz posted:

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]Killed the guy and got a Besi word. Claims it will make my spells and weapon level 2 if I equip it, but in the weapon menu it's still showing as level 1. Oh well, whatever.

It means the status effects you can attach to weapons and magic. Lv2 Poison, Paralyze, etc.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
The main reason the fishing is so harrowing in this game is the absolutely terrible way they explain it. Once I read an FAQ which actually explained it to me it becomes entirely bearable and I managed to do all the Fisherman's Gambit sidequests with ease.

Although I did make the ubiquitous mistake of trying to fish for the Shaman Fish in the wrong place, too, until I actually looked at my map. :I

I've been reading Grimoire Nier, and I'm almost annoyed about how little of what I'd consider vital backstory was put into the game.

Also ending D is the ultimate troll of OCD gamers. I applaud you, Cavia.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Frankosity posted:

Also ending D is the ultimate troll of OCD gamers. I applaud you, Cavia.

I didn't understand the ending at all. I knew what happened, but the why made no sense, even after reading all of Grimoire Nier

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LorneReams posted:

I didn't understand the ending at all. I knew what happened, but the why made no sense, even after reading all of Grimoire Nier

I doubt the mechanics behind it are anything other than a deus ex machina, but it does work pretty well on two levels, one of them meta.

As the second half of the game went on, I got the feeling that Nier was becoming increasingly aware that his wholesale Shade slaughter might not be 100% kosher, but he simply didn't care - his "never look back" comment in the Aerie pretty much indicated that he was choking back his doubts and pressing on to save Yonah. At the end of the game, with Yonah safe and his one remaining companion about to snuff it, Tyrann starts talking to Nier directly, which is undeniable proof that at least some Shades were sapient and not totally malevolent. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if he erased himself just as penance for all the evil poo poo he's done.

As for the meta part, personally, I really, really wanted Nier to just go away by the time I'd worked through the last three endings. The game is exhausting. You have seen the world go wrong in every possible way because of your stone-headed good intentions. Ending D essentially closes the book on the whole matter.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Oxxidation posted:

I doubt the mechanics behind it are anything other than a deus ex machina, but it does work pretty well on two levels, one of them meta.

I could understand if you were giving up your shell for Kaine, but that wouldn't explain why she wouldn't know you anymore.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
It's magic. Magic did it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, thanks for the tip on the fishing pot being wrong, I went to the other beach and caught the shaman fish on my first try. :doh: Pretty annoying after spending almost half an hour near that dock trying to do it.

Been at work all day with the Plains music stuck in my head... it's so soothing!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

As the second half of the game went on, I got the feeling that Nier was becoming increasingly aware that his wholesale Shade slaughter might not be 100% kosher, but he simply didn't care - his "never look back" comment in the Aerie pretty much indicated that he was choking back his doubts and pressing on to save Yonah. At the end of the game, with Yonah safe and his one remaining companion about to snuff it, Tyrann starts talking to Nier directly, which is undeniable proof that at least some Shades were sapient and not totally malevolent. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if he erased himself just as penance for all the evil poo poo he's done.

The moment I realised Nier might have an innnate understanding of shades speak was during the final battle on ending B where he pretty much has a dialogue with the original Nier

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So I just marathoned this whole thing, and just got ending D.

Jesus christ this game. I just don't know what to say. It's like the guys at Cavia looked at Kingdom Hearts and said "Let's take out the Disney and make the most depressing thing on earth with what's left.Also robots."

I don't know what to do with myself, Nier has completely defeated me.

Brook
Jul 7, 2010
Played through this game, beat it twice. Loved it. I totally agree that although it is flawed (by god it is flawed), it has soul and it's one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in a while.

I was massively creeped out at one of the diary entries when the dad's birthday was casually revealed as September 11. I decided to name the character after myself for some reason, and I was very alarmed at that reveal because September 11 happens to be my birthday. It took a few internet searches to confirm it wasn't just me before I calmed down.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Just got ending B then completed World of Recycled Vessel. Can you buy the soundtrack for the DLC anywhere? Someone has uploaded it all to youtube and I wanna know where they got it from.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Ok, I've done pretty much everything in this game. I got Ending D, I did all of the sidequests (except for the one where you have to collect 15 super-rare seeds or whatever, because gently caress that,) I played through the DLC... I mean, I really saw it all, and while I thought that the game was pretty good, if a bit (overwhelmingly) depressing, it really felt like that twist at the end came out of nowhere. Devola and Popola went from helping you the entire loving time to fighting you to try to keep you out of the Shadowlord's castle. There was never any indication that the characters in the game weren't humans or that they were just shells. It just felt like it came straight out of left field, and didn't have much bearing on anything. I mean, regardless of who was really human, I was still playing as a character fighting a boss and so I was going to kick his rear end without thinking twice about it.
I don't know, maybe somebody can explain it to me, but I really thought that it detracted from the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

THE CHORSE posted:

Ok, I've done pretty much everything in this game. I got Ending D, I did all of the sidequests (except for the one where you have to collect 15 super-rare seeds or whatever, because gently caress that,) I played through the DLC... I mean, I really saw it all, and while I thought that the game was pretty good, if a bit (overwhelmingly) depressing, it really felt like that twist at the end came out of nowhere. Devola and Popola went from helping you the entire loving time to fighting you to try to keep you out of the Shadowlord's castle. There was never any indication that the characters in the game weren't humans or that they were just shells. It just felt like it came straight out of left field, and didn't have much bearing on anything. I mean, regardless of who was really human, I was still playing as a character fighting a boss and so I was going to kick his rear end without thinking twice about it.
I don't know, maybe somebody can explain it to me, but I really thought that it detracted from the game.

No, it made plenty of sense.

Their "help" was a pack of lies from the beginning. The story about Grimoire Weiss was a total fabrication, and they kept sending you on errands in the hopes that Nier would get killed like he presumably did on the last several "cycles." After the Shadowlord decided to make his appearance, they instead started directing him to the keys for the same reason, and when he made it to the castle anyway, then they finally had to intervene, either to kill him outright or incapacitate him and use his body for the Shadowlord's own Gestalt.

As for why they didn't just take him out themselves, they still liked him. Like Weiss said, getting close to people and watching them die for a millennium or so probably left them both a little twisted.

As for the humans/shells thing, you probably had suspicions that there was something a little unusual about the Shades long before the endgame. Weiss's password to enter the Castle also foreshadows it, though that comes pretty late.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Is the DLC any good? I don't have access to PSN anymore, but am really curious.

Also I just got to 5 years later on my first playthrough, and I feel like all the poo poo leading up to now was apparently a tutorial since I now have access to all the weapons and such. Am I far off?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Is the DLC any good? I don't have access to PSN anymore, but am really curious.

Also I just got to 5 years later on my first playthrough, and I feel like all the poo poo leading up to now was apparently a tutorial since I now have access to all the weapons and such. Am I far off?

That's about the halfway point, and the point the plot picks up again from on the second loop. And yes, the game has just switched up into high gear.

As for the DLC, it's a series of increasingly psychadelic pure-arcade battles (very bullet hell for the most part) with a little bit of backstory tying the game into Drakengard a little more. It also has amazing music. I'm kinda on the fence as to whether it was worth the few bucks, but the music makes me lean towards 'yes'.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 3, 2010

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mug posted:

Can you buy the soundtrack for the DLC anywhere? Someone has uploaded it all to youtube and I wanna know where they got it from.

Last time I checked, it was upon iTunes. Don't know if it's still there though.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The gameplay is magnificent, so's the music. Glad to own both.

I do NOT like ending D though, as it makes almost no sense for the character. Why would Nier sacrifice himself after fighting so long to get his daughter back? It just seems out of character for his father persona. Maybe I'm just hurt because I love Jamieson Price too much.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The gameplay is magnificent, so's the music. Glad to own both.

I do NOT like ending D though, as it makes almost no sense for the character. Why would Nier sacrifice himself after fighting so long to get his daughter back? It just seems out of character for his father persona. Maybe I'm just hurt because I love Jamieson Price too much.

Because he wasn't fighting to have her back - he was fighting to save her. She's safe now, but Kaine - who he practically thinks of as family by now - is going to die. So he sacrifices himself, so that the two of them can live on. Dude is just plain heroic.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dominic White posted:

Dude is just plain heroic.

Dude damned the entire human race to extinction in less than a generation, and murdered countless innocent women and children in cold blood to do it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Veotax posted:

Last time I checked, it was upon iTunes. Don't know if it's still there though.

None of the Nier soundtrack is on the Austrlaian iTunes store. Can you check if it's on your local one for me?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Dude damned the entire human race to extinction in less than a generation, and murdered countless innocent women and children in cold blood to do it.

And was completely ignorant of all of this. Kaine knew what was going on, but specifically didn't tell him. He remained a hero in a world of tragedies.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dominic White posted:

And was completely ignorant of all of this. Kaine knew what was going on, but specifically didn't tell him. He remained a hero in a world of tragedies.

Oh, okay. He just inadvertently wiped out the entire human race and murdered innocent babies. That's cool, then. He should get a medal. Except, you know, that everybody's dead.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Dominic White posted:

Because he wasn't fighting to have her back - he was fighting to save her. She's safe now, but Kaine - who he practically thinks of as family by now - is going to die. So he sacrifices himself, so that the two of them can live on. Dude is just plain heroic.

I guess I would appreciate Ending D more if I played as Brother Nier.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nier's director believes that Ending C makes more sense for Father Nier and that Ending D makes more sense for Brother Nier. After playing both to Platinum, I'm about ready to agree with him.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mug posted:

None of the Nier soundtrack is on the Austrlaian iTunes store. Can you check if it's on your local one for me?

It's up on the UK iTunes store. Must be some regional bullshit.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

The moment I realised Nier might have an innnate understanding of shades speak was during the final battle on ending B where he pretty much has a dialogue with the original Nier

He still doesn't know what they're saying, but he kind of has a general idea of the conversation that took place between gestalt Nier and Yonah because of what gestalt Yonah says. Basically, it's like what would happen if your daughter died and you decided to take somebody else's.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Was anyone else really dissapointed that none of the endings touched on the fact that Nier hesitates to kill the Shadowlord? I fully expected Ending D to erase everything because he stops halfway through and lets him reunite with his daughter, didn't like that C and D focused entirely on Kaine.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Was anyone else really dissapointed that none of the endings touched on the fact that Nier hesitates to kill the Shadowlord? I fully expected Ending D to erase everything because he stops halfway through and lets him reunite with his daughter, didn't like that C and D focused entirely on Kaine.

Well, when he's about to finish off the Shadowlord, Shadowlord's daughter is already dead. Hell, the only reason he kept fighting was because he wanted to die after losing his daughter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dominic White posted:

That's about the halfway point, and the point the plot picks up again from on the second loop. And yes, the game has just switched up into high gear.

To be more precise, the game picks up again on the second loop after you complete the first story dungeon after that point. (Which I'm glad because that dungeon blows.)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Veotax posted:

It's up on the UK iTunes store. Must be some regional bullshit.

Wait, is the DLC soundtrack on UK iTunes? Can you buy it for me and email me the MP3s or something if I PayPal you some dollars? Can you even do that with iTunes?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
In regards to Kaine Is there any point in the game where it is revealed she has a dick? Other than the bully saying "Why you acting like a girl?"

Also, is your character's name ever actually revealed to be Nier by any default sense? I was confused as to why everyone in this thread was calling him Nier, I thought that was just a random word for the name of the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mug posted:

In regards to Kaine Is there any point in the game where it is revealed she has a dick? Other than the bully saying "Why you acting like a girl?"

Also, is your character's name ever actually revealed to be Nier by any default sense? I was confused as to why everyone in this thread was calling him Nier, I thought that was just a random word for the name of the game.

They never flat out say it, no, but they make enough allusions to it that it's hard to take it as anything else. Also, I thought Nier was the default when you're entering your name. Aside from that, no, it's Tidus syndrome, where nobody refers to him by name in case you change it to something else.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
You know, before I read the stuff about Kaine from the extra director's stuff, I always assumed everyone gave her a hard time because she was a ghestalt without a shade while the whole vilage were already shade/gestault pairs. I assumed this was how she was partially possessed, and why she was an outcast...as a sentient ghestalt.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LorneReams posted:

You know, before I read the stuff about Kaine from the extra director's stuff, I always assumed everyone gave her a hard time because she was a ghestalt without a shade while the whole vilage were already shade/gestault pairs. I assumed this was how she was partially possessed, and why she was an outcast...as a sentient ghestalt.

Everyone gave her a hard time for both reasons. First because She was a transvestite, which led to her leaving the city, which led to her getting possessed, which led to her being even more hated

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Mug posted:

Yes, use the Kabuki costume from the DLC. It's really obvious.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Mug posted:

Not ingame, but it calls him that on the official website and the back of the game box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In Replicant at the very end during Emil's final scene, I swear he says "Nia"

• Locked thread