Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

gwar3k1 posted:

I want to use Wordpress as a CMS for a site that is part blog, part static information. Static pages shouldn't have links to blog articles and all that stuff in the widgets but instead may contain other static meta data.

e.g.: An about page has a few paragraphs about the author as its content. On the side bar is dob, home town and email address.

A quick google tells me I can't have specific widgets on specific pages, its all or nothing. So how can I customize my wordpress-powered site in this way?

Read up a few posts about XWidgets. I installed it but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but it sounds like it might do what you want.

Or you can create specific templates for different page layouts where some display the widget areas and others don't, or that display different widget fields. So for example you could create three widget areas, two sidebars and a footer. For some pages you show sidebar one, some pages you show sidebar two, and on others the only widgets you display are in the footer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

gwar3k1 posted:

A quick google tells me I can't have specific widgets on specific pages, its all or nothing. So how can I customize my wordpress-powered site in this way?

You want Widget Logic

Basically adds a field to every widget in which you write rules controlling if it displays or not.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Thanks, I'll look at both methods.

Edit: XWidgets requires zero thought. Need a widget on a particular page? Add an Xwidget. Brilliant!

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 23, 2010

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

cocteau posted:

I know some people (including myself) have used Twenty Ten as a basis for development. I've also used Starkers (ugh) and played around with Thematic, but wasn't happy with how it handled a few things. I've also played around with other blank themes as well as modifying existing themes that weren't designed for bottom up development.

A couple people I respect in the WP world have recommended StudioPress' Genesis framework to me, but I haven't made the leap to purchasing it yet. I think I might do so soon, though, because it looks sweet.

Starkers is Twentyten. Just with all the markup and css stripped out.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Midnight- posted:

Starkers is Twentyten. Just with all the markup and css stripped out.

Hmm, maybe. I haven't looked at the newer Starkers. I just know the pre 3.0 version had some issues with the code.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First, thanks to those that helped me with my custom fields question earlier in this thread.

General WordPress category related question:

I am using the WooThemes 'FreshNews' theme for my site. I have the following categories:

UFC News
Not UFC News
Hot Hot Juicy

Hot Hot Juicy is a featured category, which means the theme displays any child posts on the front page of my site. I would like to have select articles from 'UFC News' and 'Not UFC News' published to 'Hot Hot Juicy' as well. I know I can publish stuff to more than one category, but isn't this not such a good idea due to duplicate content being displayed/indexed, or is this practice perfectly acceptable, and I'm just out of the loop?

TL;DR: Is it generally an accepted practice to have a 'featured' category which contains posts that are also categorized elsewhere on the same site? To be clear: the same article is found under categories News and Featured.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Figure I'll ask here before seeking services somewhere else.

I am looking to redo my blog (one final time - at least for a long long time), and am looking to hire someone to do it for me.

I have some great ideas and examples of how I would like for it to look, but the person would need to be able to do graphics and some other small web design/codings odds and ends as well.

If you are interested, please PM me or contact me David at Genesis-AP dot com.

If you want to see what the current blog looks like, it is https://www.genesis-ap.com (if you couldn't guess).

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
:psypop:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/hosted/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227500807&subSection=Hosted+Software

Microsoft announced they are going to migrate their Windows Live Spaces users over to WordPress.com:

quote:

For the 30 million individuals currently using Windows Live Spaces, Mehta said Microsoft is offering tools that are designed to easily port their Live Spaces blogs to the WordPress environment. Microsoft will also provide a URL redirect service so traffic heading for a Windows Live blog is automatically rerouted to its WordPress counterpart.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
http://edgetrainingsystem.com/

this is the site I recently built for my boss. He would like it if I could take out the Date Stamp on each post.

Any help?

also, for the photos in the top post, is there something I'm missing to get the images to line up correctly? I had little square thumbnails, but the boss didn't want thumbnails.

thanks

edit: found it, but any thoughts on the site/layout/etc?

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 28, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a Wordpress site with a store. When I put something in my cart and checkout, the state in the shipping area is static text instead of a field I can fill out. Any ideas about why this is happening?

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
I want to use Wordpress for a CMS. I have a fairly complex homepage design so all of that content doesn't fill well inside one post or page. I do want to make all content editable. For example: I have 160 characters of a guarantee in a single absolute positioned div, I want to make that editable too.

What is it called in Wordpress? Adding these editable "chunks" of content to a page and managing them through a back-end would be very nice.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

pixelpusherbot posted:

I want to use Wordpress for a CMS. I have a fairly complex homepage design so all of that content doesn't fill well inside one post or page. I do want to make all content editable. For example: I have 160 characters of a guarantee in a single absolute positioned div, I want to make that editable too.

What is it called in Wordpress? Adding these editable "chunks" of content to a page and managing them through a back-end would be very nice.

I'm a little out of date, so there may be easier ways of doing this, but I use Pods CMS - it's a plugin that lets you add whatever the heck fields you want to your templates using PHP and then edit them in the back end.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Two weeks ago I volunteered my time to help two friends with their project. Since then I've made quite a few changes, both cosmetically and structurally, to nearly everything on the page via CSS and some HTML changes within the posts. I think I've done pretty well given that I haven't used HTML in 5 years and have only really picked up CSS in these past two weeks.

But now I'm responsible for adding a two-tiered, horizontal menu below the header and I am lost. I found this particular tutorial: http://www.darrenhoyt.com/2008/02/12/creating-two-tiered-conditional-navigation-in-wordpress/ , but I don't even know where to put the PHP code. It also appears to have trouble incorporating categories into the menu, which is something my friends wanted as well.

So all in all, I'm lost and sending out a flare. If you could nudge me in the right direction I'd be most thankful.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 1, 2010

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

pixelpusherbot posted:

See the PBox plugin I linked to a page or so ago.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

tonelok posted:

:psypop:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/hosted/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227500807&subSection=Hosted+Software

Microsoft announced they are going to migrate their Windows Live Spaces users over to WordPress.com:

It's an amazing achievement for Automatic, Matt has to be running around smiling right now. Microsoft in the last year had already done a bunch of Wordpress specific things (themes, plugins, heavier integration with Live) so it's not a HUGE shock but it's still an extremely significant moment for Wordpress. It really shows how authoritative an open source project can become when it's dev team is managed well and public contribution is heavily encouraged and vetted.

It's also a huge win for GPL, and that's probably the most surprising part of this relationship.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

gwar3k1 posted:

Thanks, I'll look at both methods.

Edit: XWidgets requires zero thought. Need a widget on a particular page? Add an Xwidget. Brilliant!

The Genesis framework also just released a system for managing widget logic that is super clean and functionally similar to the ease of using the 3.0 menu system (developed by WooThemes).

I would go out on a limb and guess that the Genesis widget system makes it into core at some point.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Ned or anybody that knows their way around WP want to make some easy money for what's probably not more than an hour's work?

I got boned by GoDaddy. My boss has the work website through godaddy and wanted me to redesign using WP, which is great, because I have experience with WP as a backend for content. I have no experience or understanding of the coding/technical side of WP and GoDaddy provides no support whatsoever. They installed WP and something got boned and the site is broken. If somebody is interested, we can talk and I'll let you at it.

It's like a foreign language to me. I could spend days tearing my hair out or I could get somebody that is fluent who can get through it in no time.

even better if there's somebody in the New Orleans area that could come by the office and do it

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think it is probably best to switch hosting but I can help you out a little if you don't mind a huge time difference.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Guy LeDouche posted:

Ned or anybody that knows their way around WP want to make some easy money for what's probably not more than an hour's work?
Make sure that the server itself has the right database and PHP versions. I had something with GD several years back that I inherited and it was amazing how behind the server software was. It was on a shared server with a lot of other websites on it and my guess is that they didn't want to gently caress with upgrading, but it really screwed with trying to load newer versions. Could not wait to move off from there.

Since then they may have changed that policy and maybe a lot more current these days.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crossposted from the Goons For Hire thread, but would love to find someone who does know Wordpress well as a lot of my work revolves around it:

Looking for someone with a flexible schedule who can help with occasional HTML, CSS, and (preferably) Wordpress work at my consulting company. Fairly straightforward stuff, there just sometimes gets to be a bit too much to handle.

If interested, please send any examples of work and your hourly rate to jon @ hellertechnology.com. Thanks!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
turns out GoDaddy's installer is borked.

will be switching hosting soon

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

The main guy behind turning bbPress into a plugin has posted an update about the October 15 deadline:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

There was a little drama here and there recently over whether or not bbPress would be neglected in favor of buddyPress and how things were going to play out in regards to whether they were going to be independent of each other, etc. but it seems to have sorted itself out.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Isn't buddypress becoming a core plugin? I really wish they'd get all that business sorted out, I've tried every forums solution for Wordpress there is and they all blow.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Isn't buddypress becoming a core plugin? I really wish they'd get all that business sorted out, I've tried every forums solution for Wordpress there is and they all blow.
I think that stuff is now sorting itself out finally. I'm trying to avoid some of the drama/angst that was going on around it, because it sounded really stupid for a bit. I think it came down to some people on the dev side of bbPress/WordPress weren't clear enough about what was going on, and toss in a bunch of angry end-users who were confused and felt their uses were more important or whatever.

Ultimately, I think both will become core plugins that people can just activate if they want, at least that's what it sounds like. They are both going to be using a lot of core WordPress code, and once the bbPress plugin is released in the next few weeks and then refined later on, the core WP devs will help with tighter integration, performance, theming, etc.

bbPress is picking up another developer or two later this month in addition to the lead BuddyPress developer. The previous bbPress lead left a while back and so the bbPress lead is pulling double duty. They are working on other projects that are finishing up. I wish this had happened a year or two ago, but oh well, it's finally happening.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 5, 2010

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Just out of curiousity, what did you not like about SimplePress?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Is there an easier way to move 20+ blog posts from one blog to another without having to copy/paste/fix links etc? I have access to both blogs, ftp, and hosting control panels.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Alfalfa posted:

Is there an easier way to move 20+ blog posts from one blog to another without having to copy/paste/fix links etc? I have access to both blogs, ftp, and hosting control panels.

There is an import/export feature in Wordpress. Have you tried that?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Twiin posted:

There is an import/export feature in Wordpress. Have you tried that?

That is exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe I never even noticed those options. thanks

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I know Aweber does this, but is there any other way where when a new post gets posted, it posts the link and a short message about it onto Facebook & Twitter?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

Two weeks ago I volunteered my time to help two friends with their project. Since then I've made quite a few changes, both cosmetically and structurally, to nearly everything on the page via CSS and some HTML changes within the posts. I think I've done pretty well given that I haven't used HTML in 5 years and have only really picked up CSS in these past two weeks.

But now I'm responsible for adding a two-tiered, horizontal menu below the header and I am lost. I found this particular tutorial: http://www.darrenhoyt.com/2008/02/12/creating-two-tiered-conditional-navigation-in-wordpress/ , but I don't even know where to put the PHP code. It also appears to have trouble incorporating categories into the menu, which is something my friends wanted as well.

So all in all, I'm lost and sending out a flare. If you could nudge me in the right direction I'd be most thankful.

I hate to rehash an older post but I'm still at sea. I have learned from a few hours of research that WordPress is incredibly powerful and used by a large portion of sites. Given that, I feel like I'm missing something very basic to WordPress which may be the key to me finding the answer and unlocking a whole bevy of options I didn't know about that probably would have made this whole experience a lot easier.

As I said before, I'm not looking for someone else to do this--just a nudge.

Thanks in advance.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Header menus will go in the header.php file, which should be in every single Wordpress theme out there.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

excidium posted:

Header menus will go in the header.php file, which should be in every single Wordpress theme out there.

This is something I have yet to understand and have seen a lot of. Where are all these editable .php files? I've honestly looked through the entire dashboard and can't find anything. The only things in 'Themes' are Widgets, Menus, Extras, Typekit Fonts, and Edit CSS--none of which have anything to do with .php files.

Sorry for the stupidity.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 8, 2010

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Abel Wingnut posted:

This is something I have yet to understand and have seen a lot of. Where are all these editable .php files? I've honestly looked through the entire dashboard and can't find anything. The only things in 'Themes' are Widgets, Menus, Extras, Typekit Fonts, and Edit CSS--none of which have anything to do with .php files.

Sorry for the stupidity.

They're in your theme folder, and you can access them in the Editor in the admin panel or via FTP. I sent you a message with some additional info that might help as well.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Abel Wingnut posted:

Sorry for the stupidity.

Appearance, Edit.

Or just edit them locally and upload to your server, that's what I do most of the time. The Wordpress backend GUI editor is really poor* compared to using something like Notepad++. Dreamweaver CS5 actually supports Wordpress now too if you're so inclined.

*Seriously they need to do something about this. How hard is it to keep formatting and have syntax highlighting?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

tonelok posted:

Just out of curiousity, what did you not like about SimplePress?

I couldn't find an example of it running live that I was impressed by, as shallow as that is. I've tabled the projects I had in mind that had forums for the time being, sort of hoping a Core solution is figured out while I pursue the million other ideas I'm working on.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

mcsuede posted:

I couldn't find an example of it running live that I was impressed by, as shallow as that is. I've tabled the projects I had in mind that had forums for the time being, sort of hoping a Core solution is figured out while I pursue the million other ideas I'm working on.
I can understand that. The SimplePress users seem to be the non-technical types and I haven't seen much customization outside of the themes that are available from their site. Unfortunately where I've used it, it's private so I can't show you any examples, but it's not too bad if you're willing to spend a few hours putzing around with the themes.

We're less than a week away from a bbPress plugin. I'm in the process of rolling out a new site for somebody, and we've got SimplePress setup now, but it's not open to the public and won't be for a few weeks, so I can yank it out and pop in the bbPress plugin next week if it looks good.

I flirted with bbPress's "deep integration" in the past, but it's a helluva performance hit if you have a busy site. Moving to a plugin that uses core WP functions as a foundation is going to fix the performance issues.

I wish this had been done a year or two ago, but then again it is taking up core WP developers' time, so probably better to get WP to where it's at now, and then work on BuddyPress/bbPress. I'm just glad they've finally worked out where bbPress fits into everything.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
I'm also looking forward to the fact (hopefully) that once it's core it'll play nicer with multiuser installs.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Is there a <br /> plugin?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

revmoo posted:

Is there a <br /> plugin?

I'm sure I must not be understanding you. You're not actually asking if there's a plug-in to insert line breaks?

I suppose there could be, but you'd still have to enter a short code like [br] which wouldn't save any time but would take up additional server resources to generate the HTML.

Maybe you meant something else though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
So I'm working on customizing some pages in Wordpress, and for some reason, I want to list the child pages, but the border of my content area is blocking off the bullet, but only for firefox:

http://eugenebike.com/tips/

Would my best option be to add a margin to the #content or is there actually an error I'm not catching?
Here's the code in question, it's mostly copy-pasted, as I don't know much about php(obviously).
code:
<div id="container">
<div id="content" role="main">
<?php if ( have_posts() ) while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
                    <?php if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
                        <h2 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>
                    <?php } else { ?>
                        <h1 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>
                    <?php } ?>

<div class="entry-content">
                        <?php the_content(); ?>
                        <?php wp_list_pages('title_li=&child_of='.$post->ID.'&echo=1'); ?>
<?php wp_link_pages( array( 'before' => '<div class="page-link">' . __( 'Pages:', 'twentyten' ), 'after' => '</div>' ) ); ?>
<?php edit_post_link( __( 'Edit', 'twentyten' ), '<span class="edit-link">', '</span>' ); ?>
                    </div><!-- .entry-content -->
                </div><!-- #post-## -->

<?php endwhile; ?>
</div>
</div>

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 12, 2010