Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just went to the Lego outlet here in ATL, GA for my son's first Lego's. I got him a big cup (which I packed), a little green carrying case, 3 mini bags packed to the gills with everything I could put on them for 10 bucks, and a couple little 1.99 holiday packages.

It's pretty expensive.

What's the best way to get a lot of 'general' bricks? Also, the cooler stuff you can make things boys like out of like struts, weapons, cables, landing gear, etc? The pack your own cup thing sucked rear end. There were only about 20-30 different bricks to choose from. I went to that auction site, but the amount of sets you have to go through is loving huge, and I really don't know the names of anything to search for. I just want a cheap grab bag of bricks.

It is awesome as a dad to see that he has already built a tank with a spinning missile launcher and a Willy Wonka style candy store, though.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

What the hell is that even made of!?

THOUSANDS of those little control stick pieces. Seriously.

The Dregs posted:

I just went to the Lego outlet here in ATL, GA for my son's first Lego's. I got him a big cup (which I packed), a little green carrying case, 3 mini fags packed to the gills with everything I could put on them for 10 bucks, and a couple little 1.99 holiday packages.

It's pretty expensive.

What's the best way to get a lot of 'general' bricks? Also, the cooler stuff you can make things boys like out of like struts, weapons, cables, landing gear, etc? The pack your own cup thing sucked rear end. There were only about 20-30 different bricks to choose from. I went to that auction site, but the amount of sets you have to go through is loving huge, and I really don't know the names of anything to search for. I just want a cheap grab bag of bricks.

It is awesome as a dad to see that he has already built a tank with a spinning missile launcher and a Willy Wonka style candy store, though.

what the hell is a "mini fag"? :raise:

The pick-a-bricks aren't really good for mass random bricks. For that, you'll want to hit up Ebay or hunt for yard sales. Or Goodwill's site. Shipping's gonna be expensive.

If you want some suggestions for specific sets, hit the little "?" under my avatar and peruse some of the posts where I give advice for sets to buy, one post links to plenty of animal sets if he like those types, and another links to a bunch of really, really awesome Classic Space sets that any young boy should love forever. Especially the Space Police sets, they're cheap(you can get both for under a hundred, and they're HUGE), and they can be built by son and dad together, which I remember doing with mine on Christmas morning.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Captain Invictus posted:

what the hell is a "mini fag"? :raise:

Mini bags.
What a typo.

It's a little plastic bag with about 20 bricks in it and instructions to make a bat, pumpkin, or ghost. Lame as hell and the money would have been better spent on another half cup. The wife and kids all disagreed, though.

I am going to dig up the Space Police thing and peruse EBAY. It sounds like the pick-a-brick option is useless for anything here, since the selection is so small.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here are the links to my two posts with links to various items that may be just the thing for your son depending on his preference of animals or sci-fi.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381557721
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381560636

I've done a bit of search. It seems that Ebay has slim pickings for the Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper. This is what I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-6984-Galactic-Mediator-Space-Police-100-/250704722987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f2a7c2b
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-Space-Police-Galactic-Mediator-/220676905982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33615e5bfe

No Solar Snoopers, really. None that aren't far more expensive than Bricklink, anyways. You should probably grab one of those Galactic Mediators from Ebay, and get the Solar Snooper off Bricklink.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=5445

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 3, 2010

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
I wonder how many antennas that spider used.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At least a thousand if they go all the way around each leg.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

e: I'm retarded

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The upcoming Diagon Alley set looks amazing.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Gringo Tits Bank?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

InfinEight posted:

Also, this thing is drat cool- a giant sea plane in the old technic style. Looks like it has working everything.

I love the old Technic style. The new Technic beams without studs piss me off because they're so much less multi-purpose and make mixing Technic with other themes more difficult. I've never really bonded with studless construction anyway. The bumps are part of the character of Lego sets :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

3 posted:

The sculpted goblin heads look odd when compared to the standard logo head with painted expression and hair (or hat) on top.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

3 posted:

Wow, that is a parts goldmine. I'm even tempted to get it, and I loathe anything Harry Potter. I bet its price will be through the roof, though.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Indolent Bastard posted:

The sculpted goblin heads look odd when compared to the standard logo head with painted expression and hair (or hat) on top.
They do. And it's not like all the sculpted heads look odd - some of the Star Wars and Space Police ones work fine - but the goblins, Dobby and Yoda all look wrong. Something to do with being so wide, when the Lego minifigs are already proportionally wide, I think.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Dame Cook posted:

They do. And it's not like all the sculpted heads look odd - some of the Star Wars and Space Police ones work fine - but the goblins, Dobby and Yoda all look wrong. Something to do with being so wide, when the Lego minifigs are already proportionally wide, I think.

Plus no paint. The Space Police heads have painted expressions and such.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Flavor Bear posted:

Wow, that is a parts goldmine. I'm even tempted to get it, and I loathe anything Harry Potter. I bet its price will be through the roof, though.

$150 or £132 for 2,025 pieces and 11 minifigures. Surprisingly good for a licensed set.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Loving the :smug: on the Weasly twins.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

3 posted:

Why do I have to be broke? :(

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Dame Cook posted:

$150 or £132 for 2,025 pieces and 11 minifigures. Surprisingly good for a licensed set.

Not bad a tall.
I could probably make a quarter of that back by selling the minifigs.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Flavor Bear posted:

Not bad a tall.
I could probably make a quarter of that back by selling the minifigs.

I expect Brinklink to be flooded with Harry Potter minifigs as that is what I will be doing as well.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
:siren: All Lego is on sale at Toys R Us for October! :siren:

It says including 30% off on "the hottest" Lego construction sets and games. Not sure what constitutes some Lego being hotter than others but whatever.

I wound up ordering a bunch of stuff of Lego's shop anyway for the double VIP points. Can't wait to have the winter bakery and toy shop. :neckbeard:

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
So I finally broke down and bought the Imperial Flagship set today. Spent 9 hours sitting on the living room floor with a pile of pieces putting it together. I must say, it was quite an awesome build and has a ton of detail. Now I just need to dig out the directions and build my Black Seas Barracuda from 1989 to sit next to it. The double VIP points I got from it didn't hurt.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is from one of the first themed MOC sites I ever found, years ago. They mainly deal with tanks and related vehicles. Someone in Japan is a big ELP fan apparently:

LEGOTarkus!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Both my local TRU and Fred Meyer had the new Harry Potter sets out. Hogwarts and Hogwarts Express are a must.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
So I got inspired and bought the 5892 Sonic Boom 3-in-1 kit. I built all three, but got bored. . .

Coolest thing I ever made.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I'd actually love to get my hands on that Diagon Alley, those buildings are just really nicely made and attractive. Maybe I'll win the lottery this year! :woop:

interwhat posted:

So I got inspired and bought the 5892 Sonic Boom 3-in-1 kit. I built all three, but got bored. . .

Coolest thing I ever made.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It's neat for the limited parts in that set, you could easily expand on it if you wanted.

Chris Knight posted:

This is from one of the first themed MOC sites I ever found, years ago. They mainly deal with tanks and related vehicles. Someone in Japan is a big ELP fan apparently:

LEGOTarkus!

And I don't know what this is, but I like it. Anyway I wanted to share a few more pics of my little Viper since I'm pleased with my light-tent/box thing, and also put a link to the MOCpage if you wanna see more and read my ramblings: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/229385

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2010

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
Well, I decided to LEGO set today just to play around a little and have some childhood nostalgia - I bought this thing:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7775_Aquabase_Invasion

Ans seriously, what the hell? My LEGO back in 1994 were nowhere near as cool as this thing. I spent like 20 minutes assembling the giant octopus, and this thing is over one foot long, has like 40 different joints, ball-and-socket eyes and it glows in the dark.

Of course, I'm missing one part, so I can't finish assembling it :smith: I guess that hasn't changed...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I ordered sixteen minifigs from Lego, and the first nine had three Skiers, two Baywatch chicks, a Pop Singer, and three Pharaohs. :smith:

Followed by a Surfer, Spartan, Mime, Kung Fu Dude, Witch, Vampire, and the one I REALLY wanted, the Mexican.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I ordered sixteen minifigs from Lego, and the first nine had three Skiers, two Baywatch chicks, a Pop Singer, and three Pharaohs. :smith:

Followed by a Surfer, Spartan, Mime, Kung Fu Dude, Witch, Vampire, and the one I REALLY wanted, the Mexican.

Finally, someone else who appreciates the Mexican minifig - I was so excited to find two of them at Target. Even with the Spartan, the Mexican guy is by far my favorite in the second series.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
After not seeing series 2 at all, we randomly got a box in at work. Thus, I pulled two full sets (one for myself and one for one of my manager's granddaughter), then put it on the salesfloor.

A half-hour later, a Harry Knowles-sized monstrosity bought what was left and tried to offer me money to hold any future cases for him. Then he threatened to call our corporate office when I refused. Almost, but not as bad as the two separate scalpers we've had wander into our stock room on delivery days looking for cases of Hot Wheels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He is just so happy. And his hat is so huge.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
And the Mexican comes with an extra maraca. I only need the Pharaoh, Spartan, and pop singer to have a full set. I have tons of skiiers, weightlifters, lion tamers, Dracula's, karate masters, and surfers to trade if someone would be so kind...

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Friends and family 20% coupon code for Toys R Us. Activates when you spend $75 or more:

Valid 10/03-10/09

Code: 940710

Works on sale sets, which is pretty much every set, most discounted already at 10% but a couple at 30% off....and a free minifig with magnetic stand. Toys R Us did push up the prices a little bit on some sets it seems, but certainly not all of them, so there are definitely deals to be found.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Was that Diagon Alley set the only official thing to be announced at BrickCon?
Namely, was the next Modular model mentioned?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

I'd actually love to get my hands on that Diagon Alley, those buildings are just really nicely made and attractive. Maybe I'll win the lottery this year! :woop:

It's neat for the limited parts in that set, you could easily expand on it if you wanted.

And I don't know what this is, but I like it. Anyway I wanted to share a few more pics of my little Viper since I'm pleased with my light-tent/box thing, and also put a link to the MOCpage if you wanna see more and read my ramblings: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/229385

I'm not gonna lie, it's a slightly rubbish shape for a vic viper...

But it's an awesome transforming robot thing and I love the way it unpacks :D
I think in spaceship mode if you had the wings canted down at about a 12.5 degree angle it would look a lot better than them being straight out like that.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

King Faraday posted:

Was that Diagon Alley set the only official thing to be announced at BrickCon?
Namely, was the next Modular model mentioned?

Yup, it was only official announcement. Nothing on a new modular building, and the leak from last week didn't show one either.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ireladd posted:

Friends and family 20% coupon code for Toys R Us. Activates when you spend $75 or more:

Valid 10/03-10/09

Code: 940710

Just combined with free shipping over 100 bucks and saved 50 dollars on stuff before the 10-30% off even went into effect. Thanks!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

3 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, it's a slightly rubbish shape for a vic viper...

But it's an awesome transforming robot thing and I love the way it unpacks :D
I think in spaceship mode if you had the wings canted down at about a 12.5 degree angle it would look a lot better than them being straight out like that.

I definitely agree on the wing angle, and was able to get that with this type of click-joint:

The problem was I didn't like how far the legs/wings stuck out in walking mode, so I switched to shoter, brick-type pieces that don't really allow for that angle without looking shoddy. This way I could also use a half-pin to help keep the wings in position, so it has some advantages. It wasn't entirely intentional for it to be similar to a Vic Viper, it just occurred to me that if it had a tailfin, it wouldn't be far off. I had fun with it anyway, and thanks :)

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

It's 11pm out here on the West Coast. Just about the time when the fatigue from a long day's work settles in and a man's resolve starts to break. Someone, convince me I shouldn't get this:

It is a drat fine LEGO bridge.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I was digging through the minifig box at a Target today looking for a Dracula when a Target employee walked by and said (jokingly) "No, I won't help you find a Spartan". They're on to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Click here for the full 1249x1120 image.

Click here for the full 735x980 image.

Click here for the full 551x411 image.

From here