Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks guys, those were exactly what I was looking for!

*retches*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

WillieWestwood posted:

In 2006's ULTRAVIOLET. Violet (Milla Jovovich) says it in both the ads and the opening narration.

Awesome, thanks. That's been driving me crazy.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000579861

Am I reading this right? I buy a $500 amazon gift card (for example) with my Amazon Visa credit card, and I will receive an additional $25 gift card? Is this a crazy awesome deal?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone have any experience working at buffalo wild wings/ know someone that has?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

change my name posted:

Does anyone have any experience working at buffalo wild wings/ know someone that has?

It sucks unless you're a hot girl.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

change my name posted:

I may be able to help you, I know a handful of people who work there including a GM.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Did they ever produce a soundtrack of Nip Tuck with the episode by episode songs rather than the OST?

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
Can the government "tap" your internet in the same way they tap your phone? I know they can read emails, but what about instant messaging? Or messaging in MMO games like WoW? Seems like putting codes in like trade chat in WoW would be an easy way for spies to communicate.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

fredor posted:

Can the government "tap" your internet in the same way they tap your phone? I know they can read emails, but what about instant messaging? Or messaging in MMO games like WoW? Seems like putting codes in like trade chat in WoW would be an easy way for spies to communicate.

Yes, they can. Due to a 1994 law called the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, all ISPs must have the technical capacity to wiretap an individual customer's internet connection, in case they are served with a warrant to do so. You can encrypt your online communications, but anything less than 256-bit is going to be torn to shreds by those NSA weenies in minutes. There is legislation in progress that would mandate that any communications software capable of encryption install a backdoor for government officials to use. This is a bad idea, will be used by hackers to gain access to your encrypted data, and won't prevent terrorists from owning and using illegally encrypted P2P communications programs.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When should I give a call back to someone after I give them my resume? I usually aim for 3-4 days, but I'm not sure if I should be doing it sooner or later.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Loopyface posted:

It sucks unless you're a hot girl.

Uh, it's awesome if you're a reasonably good looking dude and you like working with hot girls.

If you're like, thirty though, then it's probably not a great idea.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Can anyone suggest some puns for a movember team? I want it to include either Michigan or Wolverines. Combine either of those with Mo or Mustache and we got gold.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Uh, it's awesome if you're a reasonably good looking dude and you like working with hot girls.

If you're like, thirty though, then it's probably not a great idea.

Haha thank god then, try 20. Just trying to pay my way through school/ move out and they're opening a new one in a fairly high trafficked area. I have an interview on Tuesday and just wanted to see if there was anything I should know.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey so my monitor keeps doing this thing where the screen suddenly shrinks horizontally, just a little, and then expands back. It does it every 30 seconds or so. It is annoying as gently caress. Degaussing doesn't fix, nor does adjusting screen size. I'm guessing my monitor is just hosed? It's one of those fatass glass screen ones, obviously.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3: What the hell does this mean? There are two different versions of American Gangster available for Best Buy's 2-for-$20 sale, one with this label, and one without. I speak english, and while I wouldn't mind having alternate languages available, I want it to be English as the main language.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3: What the hell does this mean? There are two different versions of American Gangster available for Best Buy's 2-for-$20 sale, one with this label, and one without. I speak english, and while I wouldn't mind having alternate languages available, I want it to be English as the main language.
They'll both be in English. Here's how "Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3" breaks down

Widescreen format
Dubbed, (usually Eng/Fre/Spa): you can hear the movie in French or Spanish if you wish
Subtitle Languages: Spanish, for Spanish-speaking viewers who'd rather hear the original English but read what's going on in Spanish
AC3 = Dolby Digital = 5.1 surround sound, made for home theaters with 5.1 (five speakers, one subwoofer) sound.

As noted below, stores want to point out the main features quickly when advertising a DVD or Blu-ray.

In your case, the difference between the two versions is the features you get with the AC3-labeled one:

American Gangster[Widescreen] - Blu-ray Disc
Sound Digital Theater Systems (akin to 5.1)
Languages/Sound Eng/Fre
Screen Formats Enhanced Widescreen for 16x9 TV
Subtitle Languages Eng/Fre/Spa
Additional Features Public Enemies sneak peek download

American Gangster[Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle] - Blu-ray Disc
Sound Digital Theater Systems (akin to 5.1)
Languages/Sound Eng/Fre
Screen Formats Enhanced Widescreen for 16x9 TV
Subtitle Languages Eng/Fre/Spa
Additional Features Feature commentary with director Ridley Scott and writer Steven Zaillian Deleted scenes including an alternate opening Fallen Empire: Making American Gangster Case files Hip-Hop Infusion, Featuring Common and T.I. The BET Special: The Making of American Gangster Dateline NBC: American Gangster First Look Music videos

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 4, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GobiasIndustries posted:

Best Buy has a weird habit of listing things with the "dubbed" or "subtitled" keyword even when it's completely irrelevant. Either of those discs should be the normal US release with English audio.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

When I use a message client like Pidgin and I sign into Gchat it works perfectly, but the entire time my phone is blowing up because I have "new emails" because it is logging all of my chats. When I actually log into my gmail account I have like a million emails with the chat logs.

Is there any way to turn this off?

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
My girlfriends' housemate has come back to the flat a bit giddy. He's found a large amount of money in notes on the pavement (three figures) and is rather excited. However, without wanting to piss off any Karma Gods, we've all agreed he should notify the local police that he has found it. Am I correct in assuming there's a set time for it to be claimed before it becomes finders keepers? Any help or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

We're in the UK, so answers might be different internationally.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Rankine Over Gash posted:

My girlfriends' housemate has come back to the flat a bit giddy. He's found a large amount of money in notes on the pavement (three figures) and is rather excited. However, without wanting to piss off any Karma Gods, we've all agreed he should notify the local police that he has found it. Am I correct in assuming there's a set time for it to be claimed before it becomes finders keepers? Any help or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

My thought has always been if you find cash its yours. Turning it into someone will almost inevitably turn into that person keeping the cash. I suppose you could put up a sign that says "found cash on X street, if you lost it what is the amount" but that sounds like a lot of work to me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Well first things first you should take it to a bank or something and ask them to check if they're counterfeit.

Additionally though, if it's just loose money on the ground there's no real way for the police to find whose it is (unless the person who lost it meticulously recorded all the serial numbers). Turning in a wallet is expected since there can be secondary identification and all that, but loose money on the ground belongs to whoever finds it.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Best I can find is:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q245.htm

If found property is unclaimed in 28 days, it's yours unless it's a mobile phone or other 'unsuitable' item. I'm guessing unsuitable would be weapons or drugs....

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

He should just keep it. There's no "bad Karma" involved in random chance like that, it isn't as if he stole it. If anything, the Universe has obviously just tossed that stuff into his lap..."Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

If it were a wallet, or on the steps to someone's house, then it might be a different story.

Edit; I say this because once I found over a hundred bucks in an envelope and yeah, I spent that money (gave some away as well). :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brigadier Sockface posted:

There're these cooking videos on youtube.

First one is of a really nasty fat girl making the most disgusting thing - I think it's pasta salad and she uses a whole tub of mayonnaise and tons of sugar.

The other is a series of videos by some guy who lives in a terrible disgusting filthy house and he is cooking omelettes or something with nasty utensils.

Does anyone remember any of these videos and could you give me the links? Much appreciated!

Second guy is Masaokis, and there's an active GBS thread about him.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
There's a style of lego type blocks that people use to make NES sprites. I think the preferred ones are PixelBlocks, is this true? If so, what's a good number of them to buy if you want to make a decent sized NES character?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I'm making a lazy-assed crockpot curry that's basically a step + Golden Curry blocks. Toss potatoes, carrots, celery, peanuts, curry-blocks, and meat in, and leave it for a day. Is chicken and beef in there together going to work, at all, or is it just going to be kinda gross?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

HaroldofTheRock posted:

There's a style of lego type blocks that people use to make NES sprites. I think the preferred ones are PixelBlocks, is this true? If so, what's a good number of them to buy if you want to make a decent sized NES character?

Not sure about the size, but I have heard that it's pretty expensive to build much and a lot of the time you'll be using a lot of certain colours. I haven't used these, but I want to.

Amazon has it $5-6 cheaper than the "official" online retailer. On closer inspection, only the 1200-piece box is cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=pixelblocks&tag=mycroft02-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
How on earth would one fix a hole in one's bucket with straw????

This has been driving me crazy every time my toddler requires me to sing There's A Hole In My Bucket for 40 minutes at bedtime.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eia posted:

How on earth would one fix a hole in one's bucket with straw????

This has been driving me crazy every time my toddler requires me to sing There's A Hole In My Bucket for 40 minutes at bedtime.

Not particularly well with just straw, but well enough to reduce the leak to a drip and carry out small tasks with it. You could make a weave out of it as well, depending on the type of hole you have. If you have some more time and other materials there's wattle and daub.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Straw expands when it get wets. So you find an about right sized piece, stick it in the hole, and then trim the ends off. It'll do a pretty decent job so long as it isn't a very large bucket.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm making a lazy-assed crockpot curry that's basically a step + Golden Curry blocks. Toss potatoes, carrots, celery, peanuts, curry-blocks, and meat in, and leave it for a day. Is chicken and beef in there together going to work, at all, or is it just going to be kinda gross?

It'll be a hell of a lot better if you brown the meat first, I'd think. I don't know how well chicken & beef would go together but it sounds like overkill to me. Repeat this question in the GWS small questions thread and you'll get better answers. You'll also get yelled at about "curry blocks," whatever those are.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

fishmech posted:

Additionally though, if it's just loose money on the ground there's no real way for the police to find whose it is (unless the person who lost it meticulously recorded all the serial numbers). Turning in a wallet is expected since there can be secondary identification and all that, but loose money on the ground belongs to whoever finds it.

Within reason. If you come across a sack that fell off an armored car or an ATM spitting out cash, no, you can't legally keep that.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How would you phrase a question that ended with a quote, when the quote doesn't contain a question mark?

For example, say I wanted to ask who the historical figure was who said the famous quote, "Eureka!"

Clearly if I phrased that in the form of a question, I would have to end the sentence with a question mark.

But the quote has an exclamation point. How do I reconcile this?

I certainly couldn't write something like:

Which famous historical figure said the famous quote, "Eureka!"?

This can also get confusing with other things as well.

Example:

Which character on The Matrix said the famous line, "Whoa?"

This implies that a character may have said "Whoa?" When in reality the character just said, "Whoa."

the fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 5, 2010

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the posted:

How would you phrase a question that ended with a quote, when the quote doesn't contain a question mark?

For example, say I wanted to ask who the historical figure was who said the famous quote, "Eureka!"

Clearly if I phrased that in the form of a question, I would have to end the sentence with a question mark.

But the quote has an exclamation point. How do I reconcile this?

I certainly couldn't write something like:

Which famous historical figure said the famous quote, "Eureka!"?

This can also get confusing with other things as well.

Example:

Which character on The Matrix said the famous line, "Whoa?"

This implies that a character may have said "Whoa?" When in reality the character just said, "Whoa."

I believe you can just leave out the punctuation on the quote:

Which character in "The Matrix" said the famous line "Whoa"?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

the posted:

Punctuation stuff

I think this covers everything: http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Rule #2 suggests that in your Eureka example, you should leave out the exclamation point. However, I would give equal weight to an exclamation point and a question mark. I would use both of them in that case. A period simply ends a sentence, but an exclamation mark adds meaning to the sentence, so I think you still need it.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 5, 2010

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Are you talking about inflection or punctuation? For punctuation, the question mark goes outside the quote. For inflection you should stress the "Which character" and say the quote as it was said originally.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What's the best client to manage multiple twitter accounts?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it a common thing for a young person to have the shakes? Do some people just naturally have rock solid hands and some have shaky ones?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What's the best client to manage multiple twitter accounts?

TweetDeck is good.

http://www.tweetdeck.com/desktop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

change my name posted:

Is it a common thing for a young person to have the shakes? Do some people just naturally have rock solid hands and some have shaky ones?

Common? I don't know but I have always had shaky hands to one degree or another, and no medical reason why although later in life it seems like it my have just been anxiety although that's not a doctors advice, just hindsight.