Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Note the lack of a director's cut, which Sly has said is definitely in the works, so expect another release somewhere down the line.

During the Rambo Director's Cut promotion, he said the Rambo DC was an idea he had after it was too late to get it on the initial disc, but the Expendables DC was already done so that wouldn't be an issue again. What the heck happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Thanks for this, ordered both of em!

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

quote:

-- D-BOX Motion Control Enabled

What the hell is this?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

ProfessorClumsy posted:

What the hell is this?
If you have an incredibly expensive d-box chair/system you this movie supports it. Think rumble in video games, but it also moves in directions and motions synced to whats happening onscreen. Pretty much nobody has it in their home theater unless they're a millionaire but it costs probably a dollar total to throw the file on the disc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interesting... I borrowed A Clockwork Orange from my friend and was immediately disappointed in the picture quality. Read up on it and found that Kubrick was dicking around with experimental lenses at the time, so everything is blurry and no amount of restoration is going to fix that. Still better than the DVD though, and for $12 on Amazon I might get it anyways.

What do you call it when strong sources of light have a red edge on one side and blue edge on the other side? Because the movie is completely lousy with those.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting... I borrowed A Clockwork Orange from my friend and was immediately disappointed in the picture quality. Read up on it and found that Kubrick was dicking around with experimental lenses at the time, so everything is blurry and no amount of restoration is going to fix that. Still better than the DVD though, and for $12 on Amazon I might get it anyways.

What do you call it when strong sources of light have a red edge on one side and blue edge on the other side? Because the movie is completely lousy with those.

Chromatic abberation. You read a lot about it in astronomy. Basically, the wide-angle lenses distort the edges because the edges act as a semi-prism.

ACO was meant to be a low-tech film. Wheelchairs were used for camera dollies, Kubrick himself shot a few parts with a handheld, and a student-level Lowel lighting kit was the most complex lighting source. Basically, a complete opposite of the tech used for 2001.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino announced their next silent BluRay, after the upcoming Sherlock Jr./Three Ages double feature and Metropolis:
http://www.classicflix.com/kino-black-pirate-bluray-december-a-832.html?osCsid=ce15fc9eeef87e17a2f73a42e4cb4de0

The Black Pirate was not only shot in 2-strip Technicolor, but it's one of the few 2-strip features with a complete camera negative. This should look fantastic.

Looks like it's including 49 minutes of outtakes (!), the 1930s re-release version, and a commentary by Rudy Behlmer. It will have two music scores: Original 1926 orchestral (conducted by Robert Israel) and organ by Lee Erwin.

They must be doing really well considering this makes five silent HD releases in one year.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 5, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

The Black Pirate

This is so awesome. I've never seen anything by Albert Parker, but I'll watch anything with the thief of Baghdad in it.

Got home today and found two Metropolis t-shirts waiting in my mailbox, even though I only pre-ordered one steelbook.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Got The Thin Red Line today in the mail. Just chipping in to say that it is every bit as good you've heard. Top notch picture and audio quality. Criterion really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Space_Butler posted:

If you have an incredibly expensive d-box chair/system you this movie supports it. Think rumble in video games, but it also moves in directions and motions synced to whats happening onscreen. Pretty much nobody has it in their home theater unless they're a millionaire but it costs probably a dollar total to throw the file on the disc.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

AceO
Sep 23, 2010

Pierce, I can see you're really upset about this. I think you ought to sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over.
With the magic of modern technology, YOU at home can turn boring ol' Citizen Kane into That-one-universal-studios-honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-ride-where-the-dog-licks-the-screen-and-they-spray-you-with-water-or-whatever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

I may want to get this since I play a lot of racing sims; http://www.d-box.com/gaming/en/supported-games/ Except it sounds like it probably costs more then $50 which is more then what I could afford currently.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 5, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I said come in! posted:

Where would one buy something like this anyways?

According to their site, there are at least 10 dealers within 250 miles of where I'm at.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

According to their site, there are at least 10 dealers within 250 miles of where I'm at.

None of the ones in my area list any actual prices but that makes sense. It probably depends a lot on your home theater room.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

picked up the ironpack steelbook of Beauty and the Beast this morning for $19.99.. as expected it looks absolutely beautiful... the case as well as the movie! gotta love future shop in Canada..

was gonna buy a couple more to sell, but it seems there's more than a dozen already on eBay.. hmmmm.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wal-Mart has an exclusive regular-case version of The Exorcist (same as they did for Se7en) - however, it only contains the extended director's cut, and not the theatrical version. Suck it, digibook haters.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheDigitalBits posted:

The big announcement news this morning is that Fox has JUST unveiled its new Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition for release on 3-disc DVD and 3-disc Blu-ray on 11/16 (SRPs are still TBA - International street dates begin on 11/15). Both versions will include the original theatrical edition of the film, the special edition re-release version (9 minutes longer) and also the new extended cut (16 minutes longer, with an exclusive alternate opening), an optional "family audio track" with all the "objectionable" dialogue removed, the Capturing Avatar feature-length production documentary and a whopping 45 minutes of additional deleted scenes. To this, the Blu-ray will add an interactive Pandora's Box "master class", including an elaborate Scene Deconstruction offering a look at the FULL film in three different stages of completion - Performance Capture, Template and Final - along with a composite of all three. You'll also get 17 additional featurettes on various aspects of the production, a loaded Avatar Archives (featuring the original scriptment, the full 300-page screenplay, the Pandorapedia and more) and a BD-Live portal to even more online bonus content, and additional production materials (trailers, etc). All told, the Blu-ray set includes more than 8 hours of all-new bonus content. Says director James Cameron of the release: "I told our team --- let's do the ultimate box set of Avatar, with everything in it the fans could possibly want. There's an extended length cut that's sixteen minutes longer, plus documentaries, behind the scenes featurettes, artwork and over 45 minutes of deleted scenes. Everything worth putting into a special edition is in this set."

They should offer a track with all the horribly written dialogue removed, but I guess that would just be an isolated score.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

Wal-Mart has an exclusive regular-case version of The Exorcist (same as they did for Se7en) - however, it only contains the extended director's cut, and not the theatrical version. Suck it, digibook haters.

Dont related sites get preview material? The movie's out and I've only seen two or three screencaps.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
There was bad language in Avatar? :confused: Is there a "family video track" where they resolve their differences with a hug?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

frumpsnake posted:

There was bad language in Avatar? :confused: Is there a "family video track" where they resolve their differences with a hug?

Some of that Na'vi talk was pretty racy, the subtitles for non-Na'vi speakers toned it down a little so you may have missed it. :eng101:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don't want my children hearing the f word while they enjoy men getting shot with 5 foot long arrows

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honest Thief posted:

Dont related sites get preview material? The movie's out and I've only seen two or three screencaps.

Apprently they had some production issues that prevented them from sending out screener copies for review sites. I'll be popping mine in tonight.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Troll 2 looks amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Avatar should have been rated R.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

frumpsnake posted:

They say "poo poo" a whole lot. I only know this because it is enough for my boss to not let me put it on the TV in the movie store...that being said, I never wanted to anyways so I guess that is a non-issue.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The Last of the Mohicans just dropped to $14.99 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Mohicans-Directors-Definitive-Blu-ray/dp/B000Y5CHIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286304282&sr=8-1

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fat Lou posted:

They say "poo poo" a whole lot. I only know this because it is enough for my boss to not let me put it on the TV in the movie store...that being said, I never wanted to anyways so I guess that is a non-issue.

My Best Buy gave no gently caress.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I don't remember who I was talking to about the Ken Burns doc on The National Parks, but it's on sale for $39.99 at Best Buy today only (the SRP is $130, so this is a pretty darn good deal).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nationa...arks&lp=13&cp=1

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

I don't remember who I was talking to about the Ken Burns doc on The National Parks, but it's on sale for $39.99 at Best Buy today only (the SRP is $130, so this is a pretty darn good deal).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nationa...arks&lp=13&cp=1

That whole series is available on Netflix Instant in HD if you want to preview it before buying.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Ken-Bu..._0&trkid=222336

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 5, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The moronic sperglords over at AVS are predictably flipping out over this, saying it's as bad as Gladiator and needs to be recalled, all because it's a couple shades darker than the DVD (which was probably artificially contrast-boosted in the first place). It's really quite pathetic.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I gotta stop reading this thread. I've spent over $250 in the past 2 weeks because of this goddamn thread.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Received my $14 Grindhouse from Amazon today. It also included a thick cardboard booklet, in the case, with the theatrical posters on the outside and a full break down on the extras on the inside.

Shame I can't watch the thing because of Arcsoft's cocksucking software :argh:

- edit Crossposting from the coupons thread.

The Hannibal Lecter Anthology (Manhunter/Silence Of The Lambs/Hannibal) - $27.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BE7JGQ?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002BE7JGQ

- edit 2 Amazon pricematched Best Buy with The Evil Dead - $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IY48PS?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003IY48PS

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 6, 2010

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I almost got the non-digibook Se7en and I am glad I didn't. It was in my hands at wal-mart and I just couldn't handle the thought that I was missing out on whatever was in the booklet. Sounds like they are really raping people who get the non digibook Exorcist.

I actually saw The Exorcist in the theater as it was playing in town last weekend. They showed the extended directors cut as a Fathom Event and it was loving beautiful on the big screen. Jackasses didn't turn up the sound loud enough though. Loud scenes were OK, but quiet scenes could be disrupted if someone started coughing. They had a short doc on the movie after the credits, but I am assuming it will also be on the blu ray.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hey everyone who's buying Beauty and the Beast on Blu-ray (which should be everybody), there is a coupon for $10 off right here http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/batblptw-coupon

e: Oh poo poo both Fantasias are being released on blu-ray. I can't believe I didn't hear about this.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 6, 2010

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Yawgmoft posted:

e: Oh poo poo both Fantasias are being released on blu-ray. I can't believe I didn't hear about this.

I've had the Amazon page for it open for weeks now, all I need is the spare cash to buy it. I cannot loving wait.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Futurama: Volume 5 - December 21

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

doctor thodt posted:

Troll 2 looks amazing.

BOUGHT

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Universal has applied quite a bit of digital manipulation to the Back to the Future Trilogy, but I suppose it could be a lot worse than it looks.

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screenshot-gallery-back-future-trilogy-06-10-10

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
People are posting HDTV cap comparisons on AVS and what we're getting seems to be a big improvement. Still, any DNR being used means we'll be seeing plenty of e-petitions and 1 star ratings on Amazon over the next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Baseball: The Tenth Inning reviewed
The Exorcist reviewed
How to Train your Dragon reviewed
The Last of the Mohicans reviewed
Make Way for Tomorrow reviewed
Psycho reviewed
Sex and Lucia reviewed