Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, panic mode's over now. I got the phone message like 15 minutes after their offices closed for the night, and I went into "oh god how do I get to Alexandria on no notice whatsoever" mode.

All better now. :)

I'm going to have to push for the phone interview, regardless of whether I can afford the trip. I checked over my work schedule, and I'm slated to give a research update presentation on the same day as the interview, so I can't go down there for it. At least, not on that day.

Now that panic mode's over, I believe 'woohoo' is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

CherryCola posted:

Welp, this is going to take like a month to fill out.

edit: oh thank god, they don't ask for addresses or phone numbers. That makes my life SO much easier.
I'd wager a guess that the investigator is going to want to know what's up with an ex-boyfriend.

In short, you'll still probably have to have contact info for the person, and if you don't, it might cause more problems.

And yes, they wanted contact info from me for the people I put down. Even if it doesn't say so, they'll want a starting point other then a possible fictitious name.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

11b1p posted:

Has anyone ever taken the CBT for TSA. I giggle thinking what this test is going to entail next week.

I started working for TSA like a month ago. Everything about the hiring process is easy (tests, interviews) but it can take a ridiculously long time to actually get hired.

PirateJim
Sep 27, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Oh man, security clearance is such a pain. I can't remember the dates I worked every pithy little job over the last 10 years. Halp.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/72/~/obtaining-information-from-the-form-ssa-7050-f4.

That my help. I know I was going to fill one out when I was thinking about applying for a law enforcement job.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eddain posted:

I started working for TSA like a month ago. Everything about the hiring process is easy (tests, interviews) but it can take a ridiculously long time to actually get hired.

How long did it take for you? I've been thinking about applying for some random podunk town in Alaska or out west if/when I exhaust my more college-degree-y type options.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How long did it take for you? I've been thinking about applying for some random podunk town in Alaska or out west if/when I exhaust my more college-degree-y type options.

I sent in my application late March and was hired mid August.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I'm former Air Force. My discharge is honorable, but I did not complete my enlistment. How will the government sector look at this? Also, I interned with the FAA back in the spring for Information Security and I want to get a job with the Government. I have made a few contacts during my time.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Now that my fiance has a job with the IRS in DC, I'm trying even harder to get any job in the area so I can get out of my parent's house in Philly (working a temp job at $10.hr with no benefits). I've only had three federal job referrals in the last year, and all announcements were canceled. At least I'm able to use his address in the DC area on my job apps. I would love to have a federal job, but at this point I want anything since I see my student loans coming due next month. :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eddain posted:

I sent in my application late March and was hired mid August.

That actually seems lightning fast compared to a lot of these jobs :v: By hired do you mean started working and getting paid, or just got a confirmed, written offer?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Want to hear something funny? I'm working as a delivery driver for a pizza place near NASA. Had an order late at night, brought it to them, with my resume.

"New special tonight, a free copy of my resume with each order".

The guy was sort of amused at first, but he was reading it when I left.

That is likely the 3/100+ resumes/applications I have sent to the govt. that has ever been seen by human eyes.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

seo posted:

whats a programming job like? the area I want to move to is near an AFB and has a whole bunch of listings on use jobs. just wondering what the hours and stress load are. seems like in the private sector 45 hours/week is an expected minimum

If you would be an actual Fed and not a contractor, then 40 hours is the normal. I can get credit hours if I ever need/want to work more than 40 hours in a week, but there is no expectation for me to do so. Stress is pretty low to non-existent as well. It's probably going to vary based on what agency the programming job is for, but in general it's nothing at all like the private sector.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

They put me in the section with the web programming guys. They didn't have it stressful like the information security people. Most were pretty happy at their jobs.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Gravel Gravy posted:

Want to hear something funny? I'm working as a delivery driver for a pizza place near NASA. Had an order late at night, brought it to them, with my resume.

"New special tonight, a free copy of my resume with each order".

The guy was sort of amused at first, but he was reading it when I left.

That is likely the 3/100+ resumes/applications I have sent to the govt. that has ever been seen by human eyes.

It's pretty hilarious that you're using the same tactics to get yourself hired in DC that aspiring screenwriters use in Hollywood to get themselves noticed.

On another note, I'm moving to DC in about a week and a half to try to make it out there and find something. Anyone want to meet up at some point or another and share "it sucks being unemployed" stories? Perhaps a few of you gainfully employed folks can show up and assuage us with "don't worry, you'll get a job....someday" pats on the back.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That actually seems lightning fast compared to a lot of these jobs :v: By hired do you mean started working and getting paid, or just got a confirmed, written offer?

My official hire date was August 15th. I started working on the 16th.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

You need to grow a pair and request a telephone interview. That's what I did. I told them I didn't have time to go to Alexandria, and they didnt seem to mind. We set up a phone interview, and after a 30 minute phone call in my boxers I virtually had an offer.

I wish I had your luck on that. I just got off the phone with them explaining the presentation, and I got an "absolutely not" as a reply to the phone-interview request. In-person or nothing. I got them to bump it back to Thursday, which is a start. At least I don't have to cancel the interview entirely, though. If they couldn't move it off of Wednesday, it was dead in the water right there.

Bolt Bus looks remarkably cheap - thanks!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

suboptimal posted:

It's pretty hilarious that you're using the same tactics to get yourself hired in DC that aspiring screenwriters use in Hollywood to get themselves noticed.

On another note, I'm moving to DC in about a week and a half to try to make it out there and find something. Anyone want to meet up at some point or another and share "it sucks being unemployed" stories? Perhaps a few of you gainfully employed folks can show up and assuage us with "don't worry, you'll get a job....someday" pats on the back.

Gravel Gravy and I have had a few of these, they help...I think.

But seriously check the goon meets thread, one goon has a movie night at his house every month that always ends up being a good time.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
CherryCola, don't worry about it - if you miss something, they'll follow up with you and asked why you missed it. You're not expected to remember everything, but as long as you're honest about it they'll let it slide due to a memory disrespecancy. If you even DO have a call-out/follow-up interview, expect it to be at ease, but pretty thorough.

For names, yeah. You want something. Even if it's only a last-known. They're proficient at following up, mind you.

It doesn't matter how many international people you know, just whether or not you put them down, and how you know them. If you have any contact info, then put it down. If not, put down the reason why you don't have contact info. (I.E. I met them in school, same class, study group, etc, but did not use email). If they want to know more say 'sorry i've been out of touch with that person'. Worst case, they'll make you prove how you've been out of touch with that person.

The #1 thing is to be honest. Like "imagine they're hooking you up to a polygraph honest" or "i am swearing this before a federal judge in federal court honest", because either one is always a possibility to happen as you move on (the latter is pretty likely FYI) If you honestly can't recall any of the information, not much they can do about it but take your word.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Skandiaavity posted:

CherryCola, don't worry about it - if you miss something, they'll follow up with you and asked why you missed it. You're not expected to remember everything, but as long as you're honest about it they'll let it slide due to a memory disrespecancy. If you even DO have a call-out/follow-up interview, expect it to be at ease, but pretty thorough.

For names, yeah. You want something. Even if it's only a last-known. They're proficient at following up, mind you.

It doesn't matter how many international people you know, just whether or not you put them down, and how you know them. If you have any contact info, then put it down. If not, put down the reason why you don't have contact info. (I.E. I met them in school, same class, study group, etc, but did not use email). If they want to know more say 'sorry i've been out of touch with that person'. Worst case, they'll make you prove how you've been out of touch with that person.

The #1 thing is to be honest. Like "imagine they're hooking you up to a polygraph honest" or "i am swearing this before a federal judge in federal court honest", because either one is always a possibility to happen as you move on (the latter is pretty likely FYI) If you honestly can't recall any of the information, not much they can do about it but take your word.

Thanks for the advice. On the form itself there was nowhere to put contact info, but I just put how I knew the person in the additional info box. I should be able to find contact info for most of them pretty easily, though. I just sent all my stuff out today, so here's hoping the process is quick and painless! I'd even be okay with some pain as long as it's quick. hurrr

edit: I JUST GOT A TEMP JOB FOR TWO MONTHS! Thank god, I'm not going to starve while I wait for this stuff.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2010

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

suboptimal posted:

This is no joke, before I started to try getting into the government I wastrying to become a screenwriter, but gave up because I heard about the bs they had to do to get noticed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
:lol:

I sent an e-mail to the HR rep asking whether the agency reimbursed interview travel expenses, and received back both a 'no' and an interview cancellation.

I guess they don't much care for applicants asking questions.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sundae posted:

I sent an e-mail to the HR rep asking whether the agency reimbursed interview travel expenses, and received back both a 'no' and an interview cancellation.

Haha, holy poo poo, gently caress this job market.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Sundae posted:

Wow.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

Thanks for the advice. On the form itself there was nowhere to put contact info, but I just put how I knew the person in the additional info box. I should be able to find contact info for most of them pretty easily, though. I just sent all my stuff out today, so here's hoping the process is quick and painless! I'd even be okay with some pain as long as it's quick. hurrr

edit: I JUST GOT A TEMP JOB FOR TWO MONTHS! Thank god, I'm not going to starve while I wait for this stuff.

Congrats on the temp job! You're still in DC, right?

Anyway, if you already mailed your forms, then it's literally out of your hands. But they operate on their own time.

Sundae - I believe they're authorized to reimburse your expenses for it at least under GSA Schedules. USPTO doesn't seem to be having budget issues this year so :iiam: why they'd both say no and cancel your interview. Did you rub off in the wrong way or something?

edit: Yes

Pre-employment Interview Travel posted:

The law (5 U.S.C. 5706b), authorizes agencies to reimburse certain pre-employment interview travel expenses of interviewees. Reimbursable expenses include most of the expenses payable to a federal employee traveling on official business. Specific information is contained in Subpart C of Part 301-75 of the FTR.

FTR is Federal Travel Regulation, that is published in Chapters 300 through 304 of Title 41 of the Code of Federal Regulations if anyone asks.

It includes (GSA determines the $; it varies by state. but each will be capped at a per-day. Like meals, you'd have a $70 meal allowance per day, including all 3 meals... anything over that and you'd have to submit a reciept and go through a rather long process, and $120? or so lodging, etc.)

* meals and incidental expenses covered by the per diem allowance or actual expenses allowance;

* miscellaneous transportation expenses such as local transportation system and taxi fares; parking fees; ferry fees; bridge, road, and tunnel fees; and aircraft parking, landing, and tie-down fees;

* gasoline and other variable expenses covered by the mileage allowance for advantageous use of a privately owned automobile for official business;

* lodging, hotels, motels, etc. ** - special restrictions apply for foreign travel or frequent travelling, DoD, and Department of State

* Milage;
- 36.5 cents per mile for privately owned automobile;
- 97.5 cents per mile for privately owned airplane; and
- 28 cents per mile for privately owned motorcycle.

also extensively applies to those under the ADA -

quote:

Travel Expenses of Federal Employees with Disabilities—The FTR authorizes payment of certain additional travel expenses necessarily incurred by an employee as a result of the employee’s disability. Reimbursable expenses include travel and transportation of an attendant; cost of specialized transportation to, from, and/or at the temporary duty location; cost of specialized services provided by a commercial carrier; cost of baggage handling; and cost of transporting or renting a wheelchair.

source: GSA(.gov), http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/content/policies_content.jsp?contentOID=115105&contentType=1006&PMTT=1/

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 5, 2010

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Skandiaavity posted:

Sundae - I believe they're authorized to reimburse your expenses for it at least under GSA Schedules. USPTO doesn't seem to be having budget issues this year so :iiam: why they'd both say no and cancel your interview. Did you rub off in the wrong way or something?

It wouldn't be the first time I'd rubbed someone the wrong way, but this would be a new record for the smallest number of words needed in order to do it.

I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that they maybe their thinking was "Eh, we needed to reschedule his interview AND he's asking about reimbursement? Screw that, we've got 900 other applicants for the job who are easier."

That's all I've got. Oh well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well you were being pretty ridiculous. Why would someone applying for a job have money concerns? And why would you need time to travel to DC from your home just because they insisted on an in-person interview? God, man, don't be such a dick.

But seriously that sucks. It's sad that there are so many applicants for every job that employers can pretty much do whatever the gently caress they want to us.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Sundae posted:

It wouldn't be the first time I'd rubbed someone the wrong way, but this would be a new record for the smallest number of words needed in order to do it.

I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that they maybe their thinking was "Eh, we needed to reschedule his interview AND he's asking about reimbursement? Screw that, we've got 900 other applicants for the job who are easier."

That's all I've got. Oh well.

Well, I had no specifics of your case. Try and keep dialogue open, shoot them an e-mail and ask why, since they obviously invested so much time in you in the first place. was there a misunderstanding and they thought you were local? or.. (the sneaky way to do it, is to go to the interview and then submit reimbursement claims after, or ask the secretary it as a last question or something - by GSA, I believe they have to follow that)

Reimbursement shouldn't be a big deal at all for them, is what I was trying to say. Re-scheduling an interview is nothing special either. If you're at the interview stage you already bypassed 90% of the other candidates, it hardly makes any sense. Heck I know someone who just postponed their DOJ interview an entire month without a problem, and they called him for a follow up interview. (edit: Milage Varies, I suppose!)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 5, 2010

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
I'm pretty sure on my State interview, it mentioned that all this was on the applicant and no expenses would be reimbursed.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
I feel like this is kind of a longshot, but here it goes.

Does anybody have any idea what type of seasonal resource management jobs exist with the National Park Service (or even Forest service)? I'm looking at stuff in the area of Teton, Badlands, Glacier, etc. I worked interpretation at Wind Cave National Park last summer, and while it was a lot of fun, I'd rather try and do something pertaining to the degree I'm working on(Geosciences). The only type of resourse summer job at Wind Cave is invasive plant management, but it is also a really small park and I'm holding out hope that something might exist at one of the larger ones.

Secondly, does anybody have any idea when summer season jobs for NPS start to get posted? I know for interp it is around December, not so sure for resource management.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Skandiaavity posted:

Congrats on the temp job! You're still in DC, right?

Anyway, if you already mailed your forms, then it's literally out of your hands. But they operate on their own time.

Yup! In fact, this job is pretty much the deciding factor on whether or not I get to stay here. So I'm pretty drat happy. I'm working at the same law firm as John Edwards' daughter, so that's pretty neat. AND the attorney I'm working with said that they could potentially keep me there until my clearance goes through. drat, it took a month and a half, but things seem to be really falling into place finally!

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
The TSA test was a joke. If anyone actually took 2-2.5 hrs to complete that then they probably couldn't even tie their own shoe.

I got there late because of the rain. When I finished some guy went on break and asked how I did on the first part. I told him I finished he laughs and asked how I think I did. My phone beeps, with the contingent offer email, lol. "I think I passed" I say

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Sundae posted:

As an FYI for future jobs, agencies usually only pay if they are doing a one week "megahire" in regional locations. And with an interview request that they reimburse for travel, they will usually send you a package asking for your bank account info, preferred airport and lodging information.

I wouldn't necessarily read one as anything having to do with the other. You could also ask for a FOIA or Privacy Act request for your applicant package as to why your interview was canceled. It's a new Fiscal Year, so maybe your FTE was eliminated and the announcement canceled.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sundae posted:

Wow, that sucks! I can't help but think the interview cancellation was a coincidence; they cancel interviews for a number of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with anything you did. The HR agent might simply not have yet informed you about the cancellation and figured replying to your question was a good time to do it. If you reply and ask why, they might tell you.

Could be something as simple as a mistake on position announcement and having to readvertise the position for legal reasons.

galvetron
Jul 1, 2007

Does anybody have experience with public trust security clearances? I found this job on craigslist at the National Visa Processing Center in Portsmouth, NH and have been working with the recruiting agency that's doing the hiring. My clearance application was sent to the visa center a month ago, i know that it can take a month or so just to get the preliminary and the OPM works on its own schedule and nobody can speed it up. The recruiter has told me that i can get into the next training class as soon as my preliminary check clears, i'm just beginning to get anxious.

I've pasted some info the recruiter sent me, and if anybody's interested i can post a link to the agency i've been working with. She's told me they're always looking for more second shift people so maybe they're still hiring?

quote:

Visa Processing Specialist Duties:
o SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Visa Processing Specialists provide data entry of VISA Petition information received from Consulates around the world. Data is input to the IVIS as completely and accurately as possible based upon the submitted documents. Employees are required to maintain minimum performance standards of production and quality. Reviews for completeness and accuracy of various forms and supporting documents in accordance with Department of State guidelines and procedures are conducted.

o MINIMUM SKILL SETS
Basic Computer Skills (Ability to type 30 WPM and data entry of 6200 ksh)
Good Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Ability to work Independently
Strong attention to detail while working in a fast paced environment
Knowledge of World Geography desirable
Analytical Skills
Demonstrate a professional work ethic

· Type of Clearance: MRPT - Moderate Risk Public Trust Clearance -

Eddain
May 6, 2007

11b1p posted:

The TSA test was a joke. If anyone actually took 2-2.5 hrs to complete that then they probably couldn't even tie their own shoe.

I got there late because of the rain. When I finished some guy went on break and asked how I did on the first part. I told him I finished he laughs and asked how I think I did. My phone beeps, with the contingent offer email, lol. "I think I passed" I say

I actually know of some people who couldn't pass the x-ray portion. Some people just can't make anything of the images.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
CherryCola - Congrats! D.C. law firms are always a fun place to hang around. They'll never be out of business, that's for sure.

TCD - Note I said "special exceptions for DoS" - that's actually written in the law. State are the lucky guys, seems they get to do whatever...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How many of you have had success with getting paid internships? I was talking to a recruiting federal jobs recruiting representative and she said that most of them aren't listed on the USA jobs website.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

psydude posted:

How many of you have had success with getting paid internships? I was talking to a recruiting federal jobs recruiting representative and she said that most of them aren't listed on the USA jobs website.

I've a paid internship as a GS-11. Job hunters should search using the term FCIP (Federal Career Intern Program). It's a controversial program as it gives greater higher flexibility to agencies and bring in quality talent from outside the Fed expeditiously. After the expiration of the internship one has a good chance of converting to permanent. As far as I know these positions aren't typically listed on USAJOBS, but you can find some there. I found out about mine through a university announcement and word of mouth. Having contacts to get you in the door helps.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Rip Testes posted:

I've a paid internship as a GS-11. Job hunters should search using the term FCIP (Federal Career Intern Program). It's a controversial program as it gives greater higher flexibility to agencies and bring in quality talent from outside the Fed expeditiously. After the expiration of the internship one has a good chance of converting to permanent. As far as I know these positions aren't typically listed on USAJOBS, but you can find some there. I found out about mine through a university announcement and word of mouth. Having contacts to get you in the door helps.

To be fair not all of FCIP are really internships; You really work the full job while being in FCIP to give it more of a probationary status more than anything.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Homie S posted:

To be fair not all of FCIP are really internships; You really work the full job while being in FCIP to give it more of a probationary status more than anything.

True, but that's the beauty of it. A full paying job advertised as an internship. One can quibble about whether it's an internship or not, but if the goal is to end up with a job in the Fed this is an excellent route to pursue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Rip Testes posted:

True, but that's the beauty of it. A full paying job advertised as an internship. One can quibble about whether it's an internship or not, but if the goal is to end up with a job in the Fed this is an excellent route to pursue.

Totally agree. I just consider a funny way of going about giving people jobs.