Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I've scored 174 on 10 of the 12 practice tests I've done so far (170/175 for the other two), but for whatever reason I'm convinced that I'll barely score over 160 when it comes to the actual test. I figure practice tests don't mean too much, since you're not facing the pressure of writing an actual test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Low Ping Gentleman posted:

I've scored 174 on 10 of the 12 practice tests I've done so far (170/175 for the other two), but for whatever reason I'm convinced that I'll barely score over 160 when it comes to the actual test. I figure practice tests don't mean too much, since you're not facing the pressure of writing an actual test.
If you're diligently taking practice exams in the proper manner (obeying strict time limits in an unfamiliar environment) then your real LSAT score ought to be in the same range.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Enigma89 posted:

Just coming in here to tell everyone that I am excited for the law school exam this week. I first posted in here when I was worried about my initial 141 practice LSAT score. In true Goon legal fashion, everyone told me to kill myself or change professions, I kept at it and now am scoring a constant 170-173 in my practice LSATs.

Then you must be the snowflake the prophecy foretold. I see a bright future ahead of you...For you are the quisatz hadrach

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enigma89 posted:

Just coming in here to tell everyone that I am excited for the law school exam this week. I first posted in here when I was worried about my initial 141 practice LSAT score. In true Goon legal fashion, everyone told me to kill myself or change professions, I kept at it and now am scoring a constant 170-173 in my practice LSATs.

Godspeed goon. Best of luck, honestly. As much as we badmouth people who want to go to law school, there's really nothing wrong with studying hard and taking the LSAT. You still have plenty of time to decide not to pursue law school.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 17, 2011

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Omerta posted:

My rule that I told people who told me their practice scores is, if they are actually obeying test conditions (no longer break, no peeking at answers in the back, no courtesy 1 minute extra because this is a weird game) then you should get whatever you're getting on practice tests -4 to -6 points. The highest score I got was a 176 a week before the LSAT and I got exactly five points lower. I consider myself a pretty good test taker too so I guess if you have severe test anxiety knock a few more points off.

This is about right. My 173 average on my practice tests turned into a 168. (NOTE: I did not study for the 3 months before my test. I stayed up all night the night before watching Battlestar Galactica. I really only have myself to blame but I choose to blame others).

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

This is about right. My 173 average on my practice tests turned into a 168. (NOTE: I did not study for the 3 months before my test. I stayed up all night the night before watching Battlestar Galactica. I really only have myself to blame but I choose to blame others).
If you were watching Crossroads Pt. 1 and 2, you only have yourself to blame for not learning what you needed to know by osmosis.

I'm going to law school to practice space law. That is to say, I want to get genocidal and morally ambiguous yet incredibly charismatic and well dressed men off the hook for wrongful conduct... in space!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I tested 168-172, got a 169, was happy until I found out that I got a perfect score on 3 of the 4 sections, and like 15 logic game questions wrong. Took it again, got 5 points higher than my highest practice score (177).

Linguica posted:

If you're diligently taking practice exams in the proper manner (obeying strict time limits in an unfamiliar environment) then your real LSAT score ought to be in the same range.
Yes - don't not time your tests because you think that you are a super-fast test-taker and you will never ever have time issues.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Linguica posted:

Except for the pressure and all the annoying want to be lawyers around you. I was a mid-low 170 who became a 168 (which then was good enough for top 20, now wouldn't be)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

Except for the pressure and all the annoying want to be lawyers around you. I was a mid-low 170 who became a 168 (which then was good enough for top 20, now wouldn't be)

It was good enough last year for the "top 20" that's about to lose the axe to Wisconsin yet again.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JudicialRestraints posted:

It was good enough last year for the "top 20" that's about to lose the axe to Wisconsin yet again.
Top 20 and large scholarships ;)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

nm posted:

Top 20 and large scholarships ;)

You may have our jobs, but Bucky has your Axe (pretty sure that Bucky has your Axe is our homecoming motto).

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Omerta posted:

My rule that I told people who told me their practice scores is, if they are actually obeying test conditions (no longer break, no peeking at answers in the back, no courtesy 1 minute extra because this is a weird game) then you should get whatever you're getting on practice tests -4 to -6 points. The highest score I got was a 176 a week before the LSAT and I got exactly five points lower. I consider myself a pretty good test taker too so I guess if you have severe test anxiety knock a few more points off.

I heard 3-5 points off and that held true for me. I was testing 180 for about 2 weeks before the test and ended up with a 175, so beware of any and all optimism.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized I "billed" 2485 hours last year as a patent examiner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I just realized I "billed" 2485 hours last year as a patent examiner.
Is that counting all of your hours as "billable" though?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

Is that counting all of your hours as "billable" though?

Doesn't count non-production hours, so no.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Doesn't count non-production hours, so no.

We're also on a production system where I, for instance have about 17 hours to produce an Office Action, and I hit 115%, so I got something like a 2% bonus yay

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

OptimistPrime posted:

Also, hours in prosecution are brutal in their own way because of how tightly budgeted most applications are.
For our trademark prosecution people, we do most of it fixed fee, and to handle the timekeeping, there are billable hour amounts assigned to given tasks. It's actually pretty easy for our trademark prosecution people to bill crazy hours, as the billable hour amounts are typically greater than what it actually takes to complete the task. So, work 1.5 hours on an office action, but get billing credit for the assigned 2.5 hour number or whatever.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I treated the LSAT like a football game, pumped myself up, and the "game-day" adrenaline carried me to a 173. My practice average was 171.

So you could also score a little higher than your average.

Of course you could also say I blew it getting so hyped up. 6 of my 7 wrong answers were right out of the gate on the 1st section of the test.

Reading Comprehension. Ugh.

p.s. I'm now a 2L as WashingTTTon & Lee, and have had one single call-back interview from OCI and a metric poo poo-ton of rejections. Last 2 interviews in 2 days. Journal, prior work experience (management), MBA, etc. Don't go, no jobs, etc. etc.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Boosted_C5 posted:

I treated the LSAT like a football game, pumped myself up, and the "game-day" adrenaline carried me to a 173. My practice average was 171.

So you could also score a little higher than your average.

Of course you could also say I blew it getting so hyped up. 6 of my 7 wrong answers were right out of the gate on the 1st section of the test.

Reading Comprehension. Ugh.

p.s. I'm now a 2L as WashingTTTon & Lee, and have had one single call-back interview from OCI and a metric poo poo-ton of rejections. Last 2 interviews in 2 days. Journal, prior work experience (management), MBA, etc. Don't go, no jobs, etc. etc.

Yeah not saying that you can't do better. There was a running joke about Sigma Nus at my undergrad doing way better on the LSAT than their scores would predict. Every year just one out of the Sigma Nus (out of 2-4) would test mid to low 160s then blow out a 174+ for no reason while having a sub-3.0 gpa. It happened all four years I was at my undergrad. I think the dude my year had a 175/3.05 or something and got in ED at G-Town. I'll have to ask around in a few weeks to see if the streak continues.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 5, 2010

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Green Crayons posted:

If you were watching Crossroads Pt. 1 and 2, you only have yourself to blame for not learning what you needed to know by osmosis.

I'm going to law school to practice space law. That is to say, I want to get genocidal and morally ambiguous yet incredibly charismatic and well dressed men off the hook for wrongful conduct... in space!
Really, wrongful conduct? That's what they were charging him with? I was under the impression it was Treason.

PS. SPOILERSSSSSS

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

chinchilla posted:

Nothing a blow dryer won't fix. They don't like it but it saves that precious, precious fur.

Correction: some chinchillas actually enjoy the blow dryer. Weirdos. It's more the being-held-in-one-spot thing that bothers them.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

chinchilla posted:

Correction: some chinchillas actually enjoy the blow dryer. Weirdos. It's more the being-held-in-one-spot thing that bothers them.

lovin dis

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 30, 2013

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Then you must be the snowflake the prophecy foretold. I see a bright future ahead of you...For you are the quisatz hadrach
it's kwisatz you fuckin scrub

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Stop posted:

I got into law school.

Beginning of the end...

What one and is it Cal/Stanford like you wanted?

Also Sigma Nu = Sigma Nuisance

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 30, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yay!
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prosecutorial-misconduct-20101005,0,6016828.story

quote:

The researchers discovered 707 cases in which state and federal courts and appellate courts found prosecutorial misconduct in opinions issued between 1997 and 2009. Of those, 67 prosecutors committed misconduct in more than one case, including three who committed misconduct four times and two who did so five times.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

it's kwisatz you fuckin scrub

I don't read those loving nerd bibles, what's wrong with you. The little girl yelled that at Sting and then the dude from Twin Peaks blew up a bunch of storm troopers in trash bags with those fake guns

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Low Ping Gentleman posted:

I took the LSAT three times and for my third and best try, what made the difference was approaching it like a practice test. The previous two, I was thinking that I had to get every question right and overthought my answers. When I relaxed the last time, I got exactly where I was practicing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't read those loving nerd bibles, what's wrong with you. The little girl yelled that at Sting and then the dude from Twin Peaks blew up a bunch of storm troopers in trash bags with those fake guns

Are you two talking about a real thing

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Holland Oats posted:

I took the LSAT three times and for my third and best try, what made the difference was approaching it like a practice test. The previous two, I was thinking that I had to get every question right and overthought my answers. When I relaxed the last time, I got exactly where I was practicing.

Basically same here. Stressed stressed stressed for December, got a 166 when I'd been practicing 169. Didn't look at an LSAT for all of January, did one practice the first week of February, got a 171; took the real thing, got a 173.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

You know how some OBGYNs become OBGYNs just so they can dissuade and/or kill women who want abortions? Some prosecutors become prosecutors just so they can put poor black/brown people in jail, and to hell with the law. It's so crazy these stories of the crazy rear end people who purport to be on the same intellectual level as us. These guys are the Tea Party of lawyers. Even penniless paupers who will die alone and young (from liver failure) (all of us) know these guys are insane :smith:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 6, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

You know how some OBGYNs become OBGYNs just so they can dissuade and/or kill women who want abortions? Some prosecutors become prosecutors just so they can put poor black/brown people in jail, and to hell with the law. It's so crazy these stories of the crazy rear end people who purport to be on the same intellectual level as us. These guys are the Tea Party of lawyers. Even penniless paupers who will die alone and young (from liver failure) (all of us) know these guys are insane :smith:
Ok, so you see that Mike Flory guy from Orange County. Not even his elected likes him:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/name-200589-site-pierce.html

quote:

In his letter to Flory, Rackauckas wrote: "As you are well aware, I explicitly explained in my meeting with you that I would not be endorsing any deputy district attorneys until the time for candidates to file has run. I further explained that I did not want to endorse one deputy district attorney over another should more than one deputy run for the same office.

"Your understanding of this was confirmed by your conversation with Senior District Attorney Bill Feccia.

"It is distressing to me to see one of my deputy district attorneys running for judge make such a patently false representation when you are sworn to do justice and uphold the law. I am disappointed in this breach of ethics."
Jesus.

Also check this out:
http://www.metnews.com/articles/flor103103.htm

quote:

A prosecutor engaged in “outrageous misconduct” when he told a judge he intended to violate the judge’s order limiting his closing argument, and proceeded to do so, the Fourth District Court of Appeal said yesterday. . . .
"we direct the clerk of the court to forward a copy of this opinion to the California State Bar for review and further proceedings."

He has a job still.

edit: this site is awesome: http://www.veritasinitiative.org/our-work/cases/

edit2: Oh poo poo
http://www.veritasinitiative.org/state-cases/?county=Humboldt

quote:

He referred to one woman as "dark skinned," claimed that Native Americans are "resistive of the criminal justice system," and said that he had heard "child molesting is okay in certain [N]ative American cultures.
Man is still a DA.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 6, 2010

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BigHead posted:

Fair prosecutors get hung out to dry and don't last in a judicial system bent on splitting babies and a political system encouraging a blind jihad against crime regardless of circumstances.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Fair prosecutors get hung out to dry and don't last in a judicial system bent on splitting babies and a political system encouraging a blind jihad against crime regardless of circumstances.
I need to move back to Minnesota.
The just about the fairest lawyer I know ran the office.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

To be fair, fair prosecutors aren't elected. And if they aren't elected, they don't give a gently caress what some hick from the sticks thinks. And by "hick from the sticks" I mean hick from the sticks and elected official.

Edit: in my limited experience.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 6, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What they got against white folk where you all are from? Every prosecutor I know is fair

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
[redacted]

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What they got against white folk where you all are from? Every prosecutor I know is fair