Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I will do this! As soon as I find myself a good picture of boxbot.

It's impossible to find a good anything of boxbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
One thing I don't like about this page was the first panel. The page before that was a fluid and dynamic fight, that excellently communicated the movement and danger of the situation. Then the first panel of this page is them standing motionless. I was under the impression that they wouldn't have time to stand ramrod straight and perfectly still with Jeanne slashing at them. Other than that, this page is par the course, and by that I mean excellent.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The 19th Person posted:

One thing I don't like about this page was the first panel. The page before that was a fluid and dynamic fight, that excellently communicated the movement and danger of the situation. Then the first panel of this page is them standing motionless. I was under the impression that they wouldn't have time to stand ramrod straight and perfectly still with Jeanne slashing at them. Other than that, this page is par the course, and by that I mean excellent.

You're misreading the panel, that's them returning to their bodies, which were standing ramrod straight the whole time.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
That is a definite possibility and probably what happened.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The 19th Person posted:

Then the first panel of this page is them standing motionless. I was under the impression that they wouldn't have time to stand ramrod straight and perfectly still with Jeanne slashing at them.

Judging from the white lines in the background, it looks like they're in the middle of being transported out of the ethereal realm. I have to imagine that it isn't instant.

edit: beaten, I shouldn't leave tabs open.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Elysiume posted:

I will do this! As soon as I find myself a good picture of boxbot.

Conveniently, that's the exact image I used. I trimmed it down to an exact square because I am like that, but there you go.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

This page is sad. It needs more Coyote. Here is the Coyote you need.
Coyote is always fun, but sometimes fun comes at different times.

He may be big but you've got spirit, you can take him Kat. Oh and this came during a fairly big plot chapter that directly relates to the current chapter.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

CannonFodder posted:

Coyote is always fun, but sometimes fun comes at different times.

He may be big but you've got spirit, you can take him Kat. Oh and this came during a fairly big plot chapter that directly relates to the current chapter.

Yes! That is also fun. Lots of ways to have fun in the ol' GC.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
That picture of boxbot just makes me want to give him a hug. Poor loving boxbot, will his day never come?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Wong Dongson posted:

That picture of boxbot just makes me want to give him a hug. Poor loving boxbot, will his day never come?

Not when the world is full of people who want to keep the Boxbot down. You know who you are. People who want to pretend they've never been a Boxbot, everyone calling them terrible...

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Not when the world is full of people who want to keep the Boxbot down. You know who you are. People who want to pretend they've never been a Boxbot, everyone calling them terrible...
^^^^^
Boxbot alt account found.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Pester posted:

More to the point then whether this experience will lead to make outs, I wonder if Parley will still be interested in becoming a medium after an angry ghost tried to take her heart.
Not just her heart, her whole life. Straight up murder (and potentially more)!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Mike McC posted:

Not just her heart, her whole life. Straight up murder (and potentially more)!

I think wanting to take someone's heart implies you also want them to die :v:

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

You never know in etheric mode. Best to be as unambiguous as possible.

Broad Squad GO
Jul 20, 2004

You know, for all this talk of "robotic corpse extraction devices" and whatnot, it did strike me that the robots may yet and up playing a role in "rescuing" Jeanne somehow. It'd be nice if they could, y'know, finally do something for her.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Broad Squad GO posted:

You know, for all this talk of "robotic corpse extraction devices" and whatnot, it did strike me that the robots may yet and up playing a role in "rescuing" Jeanne somehow. It'd be nice if they could, y'know, finally do something for her.

No. That would be bad. Bad in "Constructicons, merge for the kill!" bad.

They would come to her, and that's what she'd say. Adding "but not you, boxbot" just to make sure. You gotta make sure before you merge for the kill.

Then the resident not-really-stuffed-animal takes over the school and turns it into a giant robot to fight the ... other robots that made a giant robot.

This sounds familiar somehow. I'm not sure why.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I bet Jeane would love the chance to wreck the product of Diego's work with an etheric sword.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
But I don't think robots are easily affected by etheric phenomena since they don't have etheric projections. (At least, I don't think they do. Correct me if I'm wrong.) Robots have been shown to have minds and consciousness but not what could be called a functional "soul." They're technology-based and therefore firmly planted in the physical world.

Jeanne, on the other hand, is pretty much a purely-etheric being and can only manipulate the world as it projects into that plane. She could pick up the blinker stone and cut Annie's cheek because they intersected with the ether. I don't think robots would have any such intersection and therefore couldn't be harmed by her directly.

Robots can be manipulated by magical beings, obviously. Annie's Robot grew a nice tree arm and was possessed by a shadow-person, but since they have a physical presence as well as an etheric presence, I think that makes total sense.

I could be wrong. It would be interesting to see how a "Jeanne vs. the robots" scene would play itself out though I doubt it'll ever happen in the comic.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only answer is to make a device that can't be enchanted or hacked. Kat needs to make a robot run by steam engines and vacuum tubes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChairMaster posted:

He didn't have that goal in mind at all, they just told him to throw it.

Everything he touches turns to boring, that is precisely what his power is.

Boring isn't hitting the bird. Boring is missing the bird and maintaining the status quo. Hitting the bird is progressing the plot, and resolving the imbalance Jeanne's presence has created in the Court - which I think is much closer to what Smitty's power actually is. Also getting a tearful Parley in his arms is another bonus, that will hopefully be far from boring....

As I predicted, this situation has resolved safely, unnaturally quickly (how much subjective time has passed with Kat and Smitty? A few seconds?), through the occurances of fortitous happenings. Just like the Fangs of Summertime, and Terror Castle of the Jupiter Moon Martians.

In summary, Smitty is soooo god. What more do you want from him, to offer a molar to Annie? (And anyway it has never made sense to me that there isn't an Order opposite to Coyote's chaos, given the theme of duality in the comic.)

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Smitty's power is deus ex machina. Who cares? You're all over thinking it.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Smitty's power is comforting :smith:

I'm guessing this is going to lead into a chapter on Annie learning to defend herself. Time to see what that tooth can do.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I figured I'd add my words of praise about this comic. I started reading it a couple of days ago after seeing it mentioned in another thread. The first couple of chapters didn't really grab me but once I got a few chapters in I pretty much got glued to the computer reading it.

I especially love the different art styles with Coyotes stories and the etheric stuff.

I'm wondering what Jeanne is up to though, as Parley pointed out she could have killed them instantly if that's what she wanted. My feeling is that she was trying to scare them into doing something to free her from being trapped at the waters.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Hey, the website is down :(

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fangz posted:

Boring isn't hitting the bird. Boring is missing the bird and maintaining the status quo.

I'm fairly sure ChairMaster was referencing Parley's comment when his power was first introduced.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Been reading GC for a while and I can't believe I didn't see the thread. I get the feeling that Jeanne is trying to tell both Annie and Parley something, something buried in her wording. Now we'll have to wait another couple of weeks before we see resolution. :ohdear: I hope it all goes well.

Also buy the printed books, they're hardbound and really nice quality. Easily worth the cost on Amazon. I have both of them on my shelf and I don't regret getting either of them.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Revolver Bunker posted:

Been reading GC for a while and I can't believe I didn't see the thread.

Thread was started on Sept 23, 2010. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Revolver Bunker posted:

Also buy the printed books, they're hardbound and really nice quality. Easily worth the cost on Amazon. I have both of them on my shelf and I don't regret getting either of them.

This cannot be stressed enough. They're gorgeous.

Also, the pigeon stories fom the 2nd book are hilarious.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 6, 2010

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

Fecha posted:

Smitty's power is comforting :smith:

I'm guessing this is going to lead into a chapter on Annie learning to defend herself. Time to see what that tooth can do.

I hope that Coyote's tooth turns into a laser sword in the etheric realm so that gunnerkrigg can stop being about boring people and their stupid school and more about 4 month long fight scenes and power levels.

"Smitty can read your every move before it happens!"

"Unbelieveable! Jones Blocked the Blinker Stone fire with her bare hands! LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE!"

"It's time for the court's bi-yearly fighting tournament that we have had for the entire history of the court always!"

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 6, 2010

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

The 19th Person posted:

I hope that Coyote's tooth turns into a laser sword in the etheric realm so that gunnerkrigg can stop being about boring people and their stupid school and more about 4 month long fight scenes and power levels.

"Smitty can read your every move before it happens!"

"Unbelieveable! Jones Blocked the Blinker Stone fire with her bare hands! LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE!"

"It's time for the court's bi-yearly fighting tournament that we have had for the entire history of the court always!"

They already did that comic.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

(That is the joke. :ssh:)

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Jeanne isn't even fighting with 10% of her true power. Kat will have to design an intense training room that has 100 times normal gravity and compresses 10 years into an hour.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Get your filthy Dragon Balls out of my Court.
EDIT: This is the only acceptable reference to DBZ, please and thank you.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 7, 2010

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Get your filthy Dragon Balls out of my Court.

The ball is in.. In your Court now?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Mido posted:

The ball is in.. In your Court now?

I would... like to... Court your... Ba-- DAMNIT.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
Not strictly Gunnerkrigg Court but Tea-san did the guest strip for today's Bad Machinery.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Not gonna lie, before I read the author's credit I was thinking "That is way too similar to the GC fairy's 'hair go up' joke"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Look, hair is very important to girls.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Another random theory: someone mentioned that there wasn't an "order" deity to serve as a mirror to Coyote. I'm going to postulate that the mechanical birds either were made by or are collectively said deity. If you believe Ms Donlan, the court doesn't know anything about them and have NEVER been able to catch one.

Plus a whole bunch saved Annie, which means either they're really nice or they consider her important.

EDIT: More support

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Annie has to sword fight Jeanne in a duel to win her respect or alliance or something before she can help her, using the Coyote tooth sword, of course. That'd be pretty bad-rear end, actually.