Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Cool, the lighting and the water idea is inspired - it looks awesome. I just thought it was a bit of a shame that he doesn't seem that happy to be sponsored by Respira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
A smile for the solos would have been good, but I think the pictures of him hitting it are just fine. But I may be in the minority on that.

Copout: Besides, he's a metal drummer. You don't smile in metal. :black101:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
For promotional photos about music I think a little emotion might be a good thing, as is he kind of looks like a drum machine personified.

Yet another picture of the same person.

There are time, like this, that I really like my Kiev, but it can be a handful on occasion.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Reichstag posted:

For promotional photos about music I think a little emotion might be a good thing, as is he kind of looks like a drum machine personified.

Yet another picture of the same person.

There are time, like this, that I really like my Kiev, but it can be a handful on occasion.

drat. You can definitely tell this was taken through old glass onto film.

cheese783
May 8, 2006
whoops
I'm such a newbie I hate criticizing anything I see here, but I think that guy looks really awkward and unhappy all scrunched up like that. It makes me feel uncomfortable just looking at him.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
He is awkward and scrunched up, and I'm glad it makes you uncomfortable. :)

I promise this is my last picture for at least a page and a half.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Reichstag posted:

He is awkward and scrunched up, and I'm glad it makes you uncomfortable. :)

I promise this is my last picture for at least a page and a half.

This is the gooniest man I have ever seen.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

More from me. A wrestler with a "posh brat" sort of gimmick. Two in gimmick, one as herself.

PollyAnna2 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

PollyAnna1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Polly by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Gazmachine posted:

More from me. A wrestler with a "posh brat" sort of gimmick. Two in gimmick, one as herself.

PollyAnna2 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

PollyAnna1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

In both of the shots the cigarette isn't lit and that bothers me a whole lot for some dumb reason. Other than that they look pretty sweet.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

drat! My photoshop skillz didn't trick you!

I'm not sure she actually smoked and this was a home studio shoot, so I'll be damned if I'm making my place smell of cigs :) but yeah, I hear ya on the cigarette.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
My wife gave me the whole evening to work on some personal projects, so I put together a self portrait I had been wanting to do.

Happy with the results, and learned a lot, but there is still some things I would have liked to change.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Elemeno^P posted:

My wife gave me the whole evening to work on some personal projects, so I put together a self portrait I had been wanting to do.

Happy with the results, and learned a lot, but there is still some things I would have liked to change.

I think it casts you in a great light, but that piece in the foreground is super distracting to me.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Elemeno^P posted:

There is way too much going on in the foreground - the canvas/lid/whatever on the left and the picture growing out of your head are very distracting. Are the paintings your work?

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

Elemeno^P posted:

Yeah love the color palette and lighting, but the friggin thing jutting up diagonally...I hate that thing.

I also think you could stand to be positioned juuuuust a bit to the right (our right).

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Here's some people I shot.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Tighter crop on the last one would be nice.
3rd one is the best though its a little centered... rule of thirds!

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

mediaphage posted:

I think it casts you in a great light, but that piece in the foreground is super distracting to me.

Thanks. I agree about the silkscreen being distracting. I kept trying to convince myself that it wasn't so bad, but obviously it needs to change. Ill look at rearranging the foreground, and reshoot.

Whitezombi posted:

There is way too much going on in the foreground - the canvas/lid/whatever on the left and the picture growing out of your head are very distracting. Are the paintings your work?

Thanks for the comment. I didn't really feel the frame behind me was awful, thought it added a bit of framing, instead of just having a blank wall back there. Maybe I pulling my table out and getting a bit less depth of field back there, and throwing that wall more into shadow would help? Yeah, the paintings are my work.

Cannister posted:

Yeah love the color palette and lighting, but the friggin thing jutting up diagonally...I hate that thing.

I also think you could stand to be positioned juuuuust a bit to the right (our right).

Word. Half way through setting up the shot, I realized I was positioning myself directly in the center, and tried to readjust. Unfortunately, as I tried to position more to the right, my softbox kept getting in the shot on the left (very narrow area to work). It's obvious I need to rethink the foreground composition, so I will be sure to address that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Elemeno^P posted:

Others have said it but just to reiterate:
- remove the white frame behind your head
- remove the diagonal in the foreground, or keep the silkscreen pointing at you, but move it so that it stops at a much lower point and does not cover you at all
- a touch more exposure or fill light might be nice

Other than that it's a very pleasant portrait.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
Just for discussion sake, would the framing behind me in this shot, be preferable over that of the original photo? This was my second choice, as my body position is better as well, however, I went with the other one because I felt the catch lights in my eyes added a touch of life to the shot.

Thanks again!

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places
This is a shot I grabbed during a non-credit photography class I'm taking.

Original:
DSC_6047.jpg by downtown_man, on Flickr

Edit:
DSC_6047-Edit.jpg by downtown_man, on Flickr

This was my first stab at using photoshop after reading and watching a few tutorials. Looking for any thoughts on how I could improve? both post processing wise and picture taking wise.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

downtown_man posted:

DSC_6047.jpg
Step 1: Put some light on her. While your idea of shooting in the shade is marginally better than shooting in harsh direct lighting, you've underexposed by at probably a full stop and that lighting is really flat even for being in the shade. Better yet, put her under the sun and use that diffuser as it's intended instead of as a cheap backdrop. While your at it, move her away from the background, her shadow says she's about 2 inches off the wall and you'll never get any separation like that.

Once you've done that get someone who knows makeup, replace that awful sweater, and do some close ups because those eyes deserve a lot more attention.

Forget about photoshop until you can fix your mistakes in camera.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

quote:

Given that canvas that juts out the framing is better on the second photo, however if it hadn't been there I would have preferred the former. The slightly off center pose seems more natural and you actually seem to command more of the frame in that photo. The peewee, skull, hand, and figure are nice touches. Despite the large number of elements in the photo your lighting and gorgeous color work definitely hold you as the the subject. I have to agree that I probably would have preferred the picture behind your head not be there, but the shallow dof at least keeps you separated from it. It's a great photo even with that canvas there.

Also that painting on the right is awesome.
ps. On your about section the commas before 'and', 'in', and 'everyday' are superfluous and the last bit contains an awkward tense change. It would be better suited as 'but my photography gets better everyday that I am out shooting'.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 2, 2010

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places

TheLastManStanding posted:

Step 1: Put some light on her. While your idea of shooting in the shade is marginally better than shooting in harsh direct lighting, you've underexposed by at probably a full stop and that lighting is really flat even for being in the shade. Better yet, put her under the sun and use that diffuser as it's intended instead of as a cheap backdrop. While your at it, move her away from the background, her shadow says she's about 2 inches off the wall and you'll never get any separation like that.

Once you've done that get someone who knows makeup, replace that awful sweater, and do some close ups because those eyes deserve a lot more attention.

Forget about photoshop until you can fix your mistakes in camera.

Fair enough. although in my defense the sun fell behind a dark cloud a moment before I pressed the shutter. I do understand proper exposure, hence the brightening and trying to rescue in post. There was a ~42" reflector and a ~32" on her for the shot but the sun disappeared. That probably made the light even more flat :(

I was just trying to see what she'd look like in front of a white background.

Clothing and makeup are beyond my control, she was just another student in the class.

All the points will be good things to keep in mind when we get two sessions with actual models at the end of the month. Thanks!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
ahhh panic mode. I need to do a maternity shoot later today or tomorrow. This is very last minute and the first time I do this.

Shooting will be in an outdoor location I've never been to. It will start at ~16:30 (sun sets at 18:30) and it will be loving cold outside (about 10 Celsius). She'd like some pictures with her boyfriend. I do not own a flash (ok, I do have an old vivitar that I don't know how to use correctly) so this will have to be natural light only. Weather for today and tomorrow should alternate between sunny and cloudy. This is for a good friend of my girlfriend so it's no official gig and I won't really get paid for that but I'd still like to do as best as I can. Oh and the girl is very shy so even if it was warm there would be no "hide your boobies with your hands" type of shot. She'll probably be slightly uncomfortable if we do belly shots.

I'd like any tips, stuff I could read, example of stuff I could try to do. I need to be prepared because we will need to move fast. I'll have about 1 hour to do this before it gets too dark to do anything worth the hassle.

help goons!

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

TheLastManStanding posted:

Given that canvas that juts out the framing is better on the second photo, however if it hadn't been there I would have preferred the former. The slightly off center pose seems more natural and you actually seem to command more of the frame in that photo. The peewee, skull, hand, and figure are nice touches. Despite the large number of elements in the photo your lighting and gorgeous color work definitely hold you as the the subject. I have to agree that I probably would have preferred the picture behind your head not be there, but the shallow dof at least keeps you separated from it. It's a great photo even with that canvas there.

Also that painting on the right is awesome.
ps. On your about section the commas before 'and', 'in', and 'everyday' are superfluous and the last bit contains an awkward tense change. It would be better suited as 'but my photography gets better everyday that I am out shooting'.

Thanks for the heads up on the page content!

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Criticize me please? This is my first experimentation with portraiture.

Click here for the full 600x881 image.

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

With the first girl, I'm not sure if she's looking at me - she seems to be looking just to the left of the lens. This feels like either an early shot in a series, as there's a touch of uneasiness about her. The exposure is soft and pleasant but it all feels a touch awkward for me.

I think what it is, is that her body is facing right of camera, her head is facing the camera and her eyes are looking just to the left of camera. This makes it a bit weird.

I think you should have her back, a few times in fact. She would certainly make a great subject for a series of shots. The more you use her, the more relaxed she'll feel and you'll get a great shot out of her. Remember to make sure she's looking at you - some people I shoot look in completely random directions sometimes - it's most bizarre - so keep an eye out for that and correct it. It's usually a subconscious display of shyness / nervousness.

Give her a window to look out of for a few shots, then ask her to look across at the lens after a few minutes. You might get something a little more relaxed.

for the second girl, I'm personally not a big fan of the cross-processed thing it's a personal thing (and I do use it sometimes). Framing is good, interesting pose. I kind of find the tongue a bit...gross. Possibly too much detail! Makes me feel slightly ill the longer I look at it, especially with the slightly green cross-processed colour!

Sorry, I'm not sure how to critique that one properly! I'll let someone else have a do.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for your critique. :)

I should probably add that these girls are actually close friends of mine, and neither of the shots are studio shots. In fact, they're snapshots, entirely naturally lit. I think the reason it looks like the first girl's looking left is due to the highlights on the right of her irises and the lack of a visible pupil, maybe? I can certainly take more shots of her, and possibly get her to relax in front of the camera a little more. It's strange, because she's the most outgoing, loud, and maybe even attention-seeking person I know.

As for the second one, the gross tongue detail is my favorite part. She's a thrift-shopping, dreadlocked art student, so I think it suits her. I'm unsure about the green processing too, so here's the alternative.

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yeah, see, I like it better like that. I figured these weren't studio shots - I can see the window light on the right of her face in the first one.

People react in various ways in front of camera, even the most confident and outgoing people - it's strange, but one reason why I love taking people's portraits more than anything else.

Definitely do more of the top girl. Do some silly ones (but don't necessarily use them) and then chuck in a more "straight faced" one all of a sudden. I like doing that. I tend to go "oh wait, one sec, that light's really nice blah blah blah, just turn to face me and do this, yeah, cool *snap*" and just do like 2 or 3 like this.

It's like catching them off-guard. Basically, you have to be a sneaky son of a gun.

It really is different from person to person, so you'll know the best what to do with her. Looking forward to seeing more :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
For something completely different, I've started taking portraits of the dudes at the trap and skeet club. I figure I spend so much of my time there, I might as well document it.

Herb

Jimmy

These are the first shots to come out of my new camera (Contax G1). Shot on Kodak Ektar 100, which I must say is quite nice.
I'll keep posting these as I get more.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

A portrait of my sister, because she left for another city that day.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

So that's pretty awesome.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Penpal posted:

In addition to your sister, I see you've managed to catch a picture of the elusive, near-mythical, Floating Canon.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

squidflakes posted:

In addition to your sister, I see you've managed to catch a picture of the elusive, near-mythical, Floating Canon.

haha, I just noticed that.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Paragon8 posted:

haha, I just noticed that.

It's hanging on a branch!

e: Forgot my camera bag and it had to go SOMEWHERE, why not, you know, in the frame?

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 6, 2010

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Penpal posted:

This is cool. Is all the light natural? How much post did you do? It almost feels like multiple exposures.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I've got around four months off coming up (No exams, so go me) and I'm going to be really looking to improve my portrait skills through constant practise. Unfortunately everyone I know is either boring or camera shy and I can't find anyone of interest willing to let me shoot them.

I'm thinking of maybe hanging out in pubs and offering beers for photos. Or maybe just doing street poo poo. Sound like a half decent idea?

I also need to spend my spare time learning some post, as I have no post skills.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Tshirt Ninja posted:

This is cool. Is all the light natural? How much post did you do? It almost feels like multiple exposures.

Not really. You might be thinking so because of how well the face is exposed, but that's bounce light from her arms onto her face from the blown out sun. If you look most things in the scene are either near overexposed or underexposed, but because human eyes are drawn to faces and that's properly exposed, everything else falls into place as looking "right" to us.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Schofferhofer posted:

I've got around four months off coming up (No exams, so go me) and I'm going to be really looking to improve my portrait skills through constant practise. Unfortunately everyone I know is either boring or camera shy and I can't find anyone of interest willing to let me shoot them.

I'm thinking of maybe hanging out in pubs and offering beers for photos. Or maybe just doing street poo poo. Sound like a half decent idea?

I also need to spend my spare time learning some post, as I have no post skills.

How comfortable are you in front of the camera? Getting people to sit for you takes confidence behind the lens. If I can't connect with the person, then the photos come out terrible. You say they are boring, but I think you are projecting your thoughts onto them. I have a hard time believing that you have no immediate friends or family that you can't connect with for 30 minutes to sit down and bring their personality out. When you're hanging out talk about a relevant interest, point the camera at yourself, get them to make silly faces, make it easy and relaxed. Once they know that you're not trying to snipe them, they will forget about the camera and appreciate the nice photos you begin to take.

Don't hang out in pubs to start, you gotta have the personality of a pickup artist to get strangers to sit for you. And bars have difficult lighting situations.

You're overlooking a lot of opportunities that you just don't realize. Don't be so down on what you have to work with, be positive and things will turn up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Senior portraits!

I'm so bad at posing :smithicide:

e: noticed some artifacts on the first one.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 12, 2010