Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Batham posted:

GoG, if you're going to post screenshots of your IWD characters with cheat stats you should at least know that 18/99 strength is worse than 18/00 :argh:

It randomly assigns the percentile score when you go from 18 to 18/xx, so it probably just so happens that the cheat stats gave him 18/99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Batham posted:

GoG, if you're going to post screenshots of your IWD characters with cheat stats you should at least know that 18/99 strength is worse than 18/00 :argh:

They want to make it look more legit. I'm sure of it.

Also the remaining games are going to be BG2 and ID2, yes? And here I was trying to buy less stuff...

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Saki posted:

So I bought and downloaded freespace 2 without a hitch, and the whole file integrity check thing goes fine, but afterwards nothing happens. I've checked task manager and setup seems to be running for it, and ym computer slows down as if something was going on, but no window comes up with installation options or anything like that. Anyone else have similar issues?

Try running it as administrator. UAC may be trying to pop up but it's not working properly. I had this issue with Planescape.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't dick you over that much if you're prepared for the idea that sometimes the best option is just to RUN AWAY. Plus missile weapons.

That doesn't help when the random encounter consists entirely of archers and mages who paste your entire party on the first round of combat. :argh:

I never finished BG1, largely because every attempt at doing so ended with a different, but no less aggravating or lethal, heaping plate of bullshit.

The constant CD-swapping didn't help either.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nanpa posted:

There's also a Lowtax reference in IWD2 if my memory serves me correctly

edit: drat this was IWD1 they released

I do not know about Lowtax in IWD2 but the first game had a cheat code that would let you summon JEFF K the cyclops. JEFF K was friendly and would assist you in battle, but outside of combat JEFF K would go on about "whre si my magic hatt" claiming he was promised a magic hat in exchange for appearing in the game.

Trying to figure out what the hell that was back in the day led me here. :3:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah I think Lowtax is on a gravestone in one of the IE games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not to be smug, but what's the difference between Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale? I believe they're good if this many people recommend them but all I see is the same game in three different settings. What are each game's strengths and weaknesses compared to each other? I'm not really in the mood to buy all three, at least right now...

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
gently caress yes, I love this game. I've only managed to fully clock it once, but I intend to do so again.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

C-Euro posted:

Not to be smug, but what's the difference between Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale? I believe they're good if this many people recommend them but all I see is the same game in three different settings. What are each game's strengths and weaknesses compared to each other? I'm not really in the mood to buy all three, at least right now...

Baldur's Gate: Huge world with tons of open maps, lots of side-quests, pretty story-driven, balanced between combat and role-playing.

Torment: Light on combat, lots of text, very story-driven, pretty open but becoming more linear toward the end, and the least "traditional fantasy" of the lot by far.

Icewind Dale: Linear dungeon-crawler, light on story but still atmospheric as hell, most balanced combat of the three; really more of a tactical strategy game with RPG-like character advancement and loot than an RPG.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

This is like saying that "all CRPGs are identical," and is really dumb.

Torment is a game about introspection, self-discovery and really weird poo poo where you spend most of your time talking to NPCs via text.

IWD is in mostly the same engine, a different setting, and is focused on combat. The plot is thread-bare, there are practically no NPCs and it's about killing poo poo.

BG1 is sort of halfway between the two, in yet another setting (-ish, it's the same campaign setting as IWD but a totally different part of the world) and is mostly a traditional CRPG done in the same engine. It's about equal parts combat and plot and it's about the main character's rise from a sheltered orphan to a demigod.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Basically

Planescape: Torment - Interactive book with some combat, some inter-party banter, great overall story

Icewind Dale - Heavy emphasis on combat, good overall story, no inter-party banter

Baldur's Gate series - medium tactical combat, medium inter-party banter, very good overall story

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How IWD compares to its sequel? This is one of those games where the sequel is better in every way or both are worth playing?

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Both are worth playing. Also the inter-dialogue banter is in your head.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 6, 2010

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

C-Euro posted:

Baldur's Gate is a semi-open ended RPG, Planescape is story-based, and Icewind Dale is a dungeon crawler. They all run on the same engine but it's used in three very different ways.

For my money, Baldur's Gate is the most natural feeling of the three. Everything just fits together nicely and you can tell the game and its engine were designed for each other. Planescape is a fantastic story that's kind of shoehorned into the Infinity Engine, but it's still a must-play. Icewind Dale is nice and all, but for isometric D&D dungeon crawlers I greatly prefer The Temple of Elemental Evil with the latest fan patches.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do any of those games have a pause button?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Yeah Space works as pause in the Infinity engine games.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes. :confused: All the infinity engine games can be paused by simply pressing space.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Default feature of the engine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cool, cause last time I tried playing IWD2? I was overwhelmed with goblins at the start of the game and ragequit. :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you don't use the pause button you die, because the game is designed around you using it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh my god, all those Infinity Engine games, don't know which one to buy. I don't buy games left and right like some you guys here do. I at least try to finish each game I buy before buying another one. I was planning on buying Torment, but with the release of Icewind Dale, I might get that instead. I'm more of a "kill poo poo, take loot" kind of guy, and I like making my own characters.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2010

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh my god, all those Infinity Engine games, don't know which one to buy. I don't buy games left and right like some you guys here do. I at least try to finish each game I buy before buying another one. I was planning on buying Torment, but with the release of Icewind Dale, I might get that instead. I'm more of a "kill poo poo, take loot" kind of guy and to me, and I like making my own characters.

Planescape is the best of the lot (IMO), but if you want action IWD will leave you least frustrated. Honestly, its really hard to go wrong.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh my god, all those Infinity Engine games, don't know which one to buy. I don't buy games left and right like some you guys here do. I at least try to finish each game I buy before buying another one. I was planning on buying Torment, but with the release of Icewind Dale, I might get that instead. I'm more of a "kill poo poo, take loot" kind of guy, and I like making my own characters.

If you're interested in combat the IWD combat interface is infinitely better than the PS:T combat interface. In PS:T combat is kind of an afterthought, the game is very plot-driven and you can talk your way out of a lot of fights. IWD is basically all combat; the story is there, and it isn't bad, particularly for fantasy stories, but the game is primarily a 2nd ed. D&D combat sim. IWD also has a fairly well-executed NG+ if that sort of thing interests you.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Goddamn I can't figure out #15 and #17 in that crossword puzzle. I know which game 17 refers to but I have absolutely no clue about 15. :( All others were pretty easy or googlable.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Mug posted:

Yeah I think Lowtax is on a gravestone in one of the IE games.

He is on a gravestone in the Kuldahar Graveyard in IWDII.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait, are you calling Baldurs Gate difficult?

Are we having a dick waving competition over our Baldur's Gate mastery? :awesome:

I'd call it random, not difficult. Baldur's Gate keeps you at low levels where combat is more chance than tactics and it keeps you there for way too long. To compound this, the main character's death forces a reload. I don't recall many total party wipes but I've reloaded countless times because the main character drew the attention of the wrong baddie. 2nd edition D&D loved random poo poo that the human DM was supposed to fudge to keep things fun. The computer didn't give a gently caress if your first level mage encountered five longbow armed bandits.

IWD is better balanced in the sense that the encounters are challenging but not random. There are far fewer situations where you either make your saving throw or die. You can usually do things to give yourself an edge and you spend more of the game at medium levels with some staying power and actual tactical options at your disposal. You also aren't forced to reload if a specific character goes down. It makes for much more interesting combat.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Are we having a dick waving competition over our Baldur's Gate mastery? :awesome:

I just Ironmanned a solo character on the first attempt so I'm at least passable at the game.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Okay so GoG kind of owns. I'm probably going to buy a scary amount of games from this site.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I just Ironmanned a solo character on the first attempt so I'm at least passable at the game.

When I asked if we were having a dick waving contest about Baldur's Gate I really didn't mean to imply that we should.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:bravo: Have a cookie. You'll have to bake it yourself.

You all are making Icewind Dale sound pretty cool. After my first play-through of Baldur's Gate and BG2, I spent a ton of time setting up my own parties using multi-player options, so this is right up my alley!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I'd call it random, not difficult. Baldur's Gate keeps you at low levels where combat is more chance than tactics and it keeps you there for way too long. To compound this, the main character's death forces a reload. I don't recall many total party wipes but I've reloaded countless times because the main character drew the attention of the wrong baddie. 2nd edition D&D loved random poo poo that the human DM was supposed to fudge to keep things fun. The computer didn't give a gently caress if your first level mage encountered five longbow armed bandits.

IWD is better balanced in the sense that the encounters are challenging but not random. There are far fewer situations where you either make your saving throw or die. You can usually do things to give yourself an edge and you spend more of the game at medium levels with some staying power and actual tactical options at your disposal. You also aren't forced to reload if a specific character goes down. It makes for much more interesting combat.

I just started BG1. I went to that inn that looks like a castle, in the way Ive recruited some NPCs, inside I recruited another pair of then.

Then I had to go to some mines. On my way there, a bunch of green humanoids with bows started shooting at us, one shot one kill. Tried a bunch of times, I cant even get near then before losing half of my party. I gave up.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just started BG1. I went to that inn that looks like a castle, in the way Ive recruited some NPCs, inside I recruited another pair of then.

Then I had to go to some mines. On my way there, a bunch of green humanoids with bows started shooting at us, one shot one kill. Tried a bunch of times, I cant even get near then before losing half of my party. I gave up.

Oh yeah. Doing what the plot tells you to do in Baldur's Gate is one of those rookie mistakes. You're better off making it to the inn, filling out your party and then dicking around a bit exploring the wilderness. Some areas will stone cold loving kill you but others will give you enough experience to get to third level or so. There are probably 10+ areas of wilderness that you should explore before hitting the mines.

Also, cast sleep on every archer you encounter at the start of the game. With luck they'll nod off before they completely murder your group.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The thing I hated the most in Baldur's Gate was that at certain points the game basically requires you to have knownledge of what's ahead to survive.

For example, after a while you head up one of the stairs in the Iron Throne HQ and on the next level, right besides the stairs, there are these motherfucking mages that are capable of tearing your entire party a new one in one round. The only way you could defeat those motherfuckers was by casting an anti-tearing spell or using anti-tearing potions before you went up the stairs. You then steamrolled over the said mages ofcourse.

Those moment were rare, but annoying to say the least.

And yes, I had to reload that part a lot of times when I first got there. I earned the right to call those mages motherfuckers. :tizzy:

Batham fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 6, 2010

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Batham posted:

The thing I hated the most in Baldur's Gate was that at certain points in the game basically requires you to have knowledge of what's ahead to survive.
Yeah, I actually recall in my first playthrough (years before I could just find a character editor online) essentially having to reload a save from an hour ago on two occasions because the spells my mage learned and my lack of a specific potion meant an enemy I was facing was literally impossible to defeat.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I just realized something...

When are we going to get Nox on gog.com? :stare:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Sometimes, in my sleep, all I hear is my warrior's song.

"HAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

If they update Nox, they'd better update the multiplayer too!

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
EasyTutu is telling me to insert an expansion disc when I start it up. Does it mean the ToB disc?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I never did beat that game. For some reason I always got really bored after about 2 hours.

Was it worthwhile to wrap it up, did I miss out on something amazing?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

When I asked if we were having a dick waving contest about Baldur's Gate I really didn't mean to imply that we should.

Baldur's Gate (like a lot of RPGs) is not inherently difficult. It's almost like a puzzle game, where the puzzle is the rules. If it's your first IE D&D game, you'll find it impossibly difficult at first. I know I did. If it's not, then it'll be straightforward except for Durlag's and WW Island.

On a side point, one of the reasons I think BG1 -> BG2 is the right progression is that early level BG1 is easier and there's less you can do which will put you in a dangerous post-point of no return situation. The character arc of the player character matches the skill of the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Never. Nox is a Westwood game whom got asorbed into EA. The no-DRM model doesn't really sit well with EA.

It's really sad because every Westwood game and every Bullfrog game is tied up in EA land.