Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Scientist!
I told my friend, who is a Scotch afficianado, that liquor does not "age" or improve once bottled. He claims anecdotal evidence otherwise.
There was a chemist there who started sperging about esther or something. Anyway, the distilleries all say that the cask to the bottle is the end of it -unless something evaporates due to poor bottling or some such.
Can someone drop some basic, dumbed-down science on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There is some technique that Scientologists use where they take something simple and say it in a really confusing way and this apparently makes it make sense in your head or something. I have heard the name of this technique before but I can't remember it. What is it called?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

change my name posted:

Is it a common thing for a young person to have the shakes? Do some people just naturally have rock solid hands and some have shaky ones?

How shaky are we talking about? Do you have trouble doing things that require fine motor skills like typing or tying your shoes?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

haveblue posted:

How shaky are we talking about? Do you have trouble doing things that require fine motor skills like typing or tying your shoes?

Nah but if I can't hold a camera still/ hold something delicate still like a leaf or whatever. It's not a big thing, more like minor tremors.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Toadofsky posted:

There is some technique that Scientologists use where they take something simple and say it in a really confusing way and this apparently makes it make sense in your head or something. I have heard the name of this technique before but I can't remember it. What is it called?

I think you're thinking of Straw Man argument. That might not be it, but it's one they definitely use.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Within reason. If you come across a sack that fell off an armored car or an ATM spitting out cash, no, you can't legally keep that.

Well in that case its pretty obvious where the money is coming from.

If its just a few notes sitting on the ground with nothing else then its probably some schmuch whos dropped it from his wallet/pocket. I doubt they would even notice straight away and even then they probably wouldn't go do much about it. So I would definitely keep the money :D

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
My brother is looking for a free program that makes graphical visualisations to go with music, similar to those found in Windows Media Player/iTunes etc. Can anyone recommend a good program for this?

EDIT: He's using a Mac, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 6, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's the name of the semi-solid foam found in cases for expensive equipment and guns? The kind that has the shape of the object cut out in it so it rests in the case securely without moving.

Also, where would I find this stuff and how would I cut out a shape neatly? I want to make a few of these type of cases for some equipment.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Danger Mahoney posted:

What's the name of the semi-solid foam found in cases for expensive equipment and guns? The kind that has the shape of the object cut out in it so it rests in the case securely without moving.

Also, where would I find this stuff and how would I cut out a shape neatly? I want to make a few of these type of cases for some equipment.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html

For my purposes I got 3 sheets (bottom of that page). One thick for the base, one thick for the top/lid, and one mid to cut my shape into (using trace/exacto). They have other types like the pick&pluck at the top of the page and other sites that sell the cases with the pick&pluck foam already int them.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

change my name posted:

Nah but if I can't hold a camera still/ hold something delicate still like a leaf or whatever. It's not a big thing, more like minor tremors.

I think that's normal, but if it gets any worse with time then consult a doctor. Some people can't be surgeons because they "don't have the hands" for it. I don't know if that's Hollywood bullshit, but it makes sense. I don't know how strict they are though.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Very Strange Things posted:

Scientist!
I told my friend, who is a Scotch afficianado, that liquor does not "age" or improve once bottled. He claims anecdotal evidence otherwise.
There was a chemist there who started sperging about esther or something. Anyway, the distilleries all say that the cask to the bottle is the end of it -unless something evaporates due to poor bottling or some such.
Can someone drop some basic, dumbed-down science on it?

I found this study about wine (PDF, 143 kb) which seems to contradict you. In it they look at a series of wines over 20 years with and without exposure to oxygen (ie some have corks that breathe a bit and others have screw-on lids). Using spectral analysis and such (not just tastings) they found differences over time in BOTH sets of wine, leading them to the conclusion that while oxygen exposure while in the bottle does expedite aging, it is not the only factor.

I realize that wine and liquor can be very different, and I'm no expert, but the mechanisms they cite as possible aging factors seem like they would affect any bottled liquid with enough time. Mostly they mention condensation, polymerization, and distillation of certain chemicals. Basically, if it sits still long enough, the various molecular bits tend to clump together and/or break apart.

HOWEVER, with all that said, the paper ends with, "...the low levels recorded in this instance are not considered to be commercially unacceptable." So, in anaerobic (air tight) bottles it happens, but its minor and possibly commercially insignificant.

Edit: I should add the study held light exposure and temperature constant. Changing levels of those 2 things may also have an impact.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 6, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone actually drink 20+ year old wine, or is it pretty much a decoration at that point?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Pogo the Clown posted:

I found this study about wine (PDF, 143 kb) which seems to contradict you. In it they look at a series of wines over 20 years with and without exposure to oxygen (ie some have corks that breathe a bit and others have screw-on lids). Using spectral analysis and such (not just tastings) they found differences over time in BOTH sets of wine, leading them to the conclusion that while oxygen exposure while in the bottle does expedite aging, it is not the only factor.

I realize that wine and liquor can be very different, and I'm no expert, but the mechanisms they cite as possible aging factors seem like they would affect any bottled liquid with enough time. Mostly they mention condensation, polymerization, and distillation of certain chemicals. Basically, if it sits still long enough, the various molecular bits tend to clump together and/or break apart.

HOWEVER, with all that said, the paper ends with, "...the low levels recorded in this instance are not considered to be commercially unacceptable." So, in anaerobic (air tight) bottles it happens, but its minor and possibly commercially insignificant.

Edit: I should add the study held light exposure and temperature constant. Changing levels of those 2 things may also have an impact.
Thanks, that's actually good news. He can still stick to his guns now if he wants to; I didn't necessarily want him to be wrong and feel foolish. I also thought that aged (in the bottle) liquor was a sought-after thing until quite recently.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Zero Star posted:

My brother is looking for a free program that makes graphical visualisations to go with music, similar to those found in Windows Media Player/iTunes etc. Can anyone recommend a good program for this?

EDIT: He's using a Mac, I should have mentioned that earlier.

I'd start with Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_visualization#List_of_music_visualization_software but id depends on the needs of the software by the look of it: what type of vis does he want and does he want it as a plugin, framework or dedicated application?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This may be a bit of an ignorant question.

I'm taking an evening class and I think the tutor is a Muslim. He has an iPhone 4 and every session, at 18:30, it plays what sounds like some Arabic man speaking/singing. The tutor then says "excuse me a moment" and stands quietly until it finishes, whereupon he continues the lesson. Now, the sound is too long for a text alert and if it was a call I assume he'd cancel it or have the phone on silent. This combined with the praying 5 times a day makes me wonder is this some way of fulfilling that requirement?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anjow posted:

This may be a bit of an ignorant question.

I'm taking an evening class and I think the tutor is a Muslim. He has an iPhone 4 and every session, at 18:30, it plays what sounds like some Arabic man speaking/singing. The tutor then says "excuse me a moment" and stands quietly until it finishes, whereupon he continues the lesson. Now, the sound is too long for a text alert and if it was a call I assume he'd cancel it or have the phone on silent. This combined with the praying 5 times a day makes me wonder is this some way of fulfilling that requirement?

Very likely he is making a compromise in observing a moment of silence instead of the traditional evening prayer in order to not disrupt his class too much.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Or he's receiving orders from his cell leader.

I'm kidding!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Very likely he is making a compromise in observing a moment of silence instead of the traditional evening prayer in order to not disrupt his class too much.

This is what I was thinking, but didn't know enough about the religion to know if this would be done. Thanks.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I'm very close to paying off my CC debt. Discover (my existing CC is Visa) keeps sending me mail to sign up for their card. Usually I just shred it but something on the one I received a few days ago caught my eye. It said that there would be 0% APR on balance transfers for one year with a balance transfer fee of 3%. I owe about 2500 on my current CC that I've been slowly but diligently paying off. 3% amounts to about $75. I currently pay about 40 dollars a month in interest so my potential savings amount to about 400 dollars over the next year, if I can pay it off in a year.

My question is, what am I missing? I realize that my interest rate goes way up on what remains of my balance if I fail to pay it all off in a year but is there any other negative aspect of doing this? Does it negatively affect my credit? Just seeing if anyone else has encountered/leveraged something like this.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
It's pretty common for people to take advantage of those teaser rates for that purpose. Although they are banking on you making the minimum and getting stuck for a whole world of hurt on the back end.

Read the truth in lending stuff from beginning to end and understand it. No one will be able to tell you what exactly the specifics are without reading the insert for it.

Also if your are paying 40$ interest and plan on making ~225$ a month payments on the new card, what would your real savings be?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Yeah, it's not really a scam. It's just that most people won't manage to get everything paid off in time. And even if they do, they now have your future business.

And yes, your savings will be less because you're paying down the principle on your existing card over the year. Still, it could be a good deal.

Edit: Quick number crunching - Your interest will be roughly $248 if you pay off your balance in the next 12 months on your current card.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 6, 2010

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It's pretty common for people to take advantage of those teaser rates for that purpose. Although they are banking on you making the minimum and getting stuck for a whole world of hurt on the back end.

Read the truth in lending stuff from beginning to end and understand it. No one will be able to tell you what exactly the specifics are without reading the insert for it.

Also if your are paying 40$ interest and plan on making ~225$ a month payments on the new card, what would your real savings be?

That's a good point. I was looking at my previous balances and it looks like my interest was about $20 higher a month when i owed 1k more. Extrapolating that means I might only save 170 dollars. I guess not that much after all.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Anyone have any advice on getting personal health insurance? (In the state of Washington, if it matters.) I work for a small (tiny!) business - about 4 people on payroll right now. My boss told me that he's not going to get a company plan, but is willing to reimburse me up to $250/mo to get a personal plan. I've never been on anything except the plan that my father got from his work; I have no idea where to even start looking. Anyone have any advice?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It's pretty simple. Find an insurance agent, call them for a quote. I've got a pretty great policy and it's only about $140/month. I have zero health problems and I'm 28 with no family, so YMMV.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Gravity Pike posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting personal health insurance? (In the state of Washington, if it matters.) I work for a small (tiny!) business - about 4 people on payroll right now. My boss told me that he's not going to get a company plan, but is willing to reimburse me up to $250/mo to get a personal plan. I've never been on anything except the plan that my father got from his work; I have no idea where to even start looking. Anyone have any advice?

I also have personal insurance, as well as my fiance and our baby. I pay $200 a month for me and our baby and my fiance's is about $150 just for her. I have Anthem and she has Golden Rule (which is a subsidiary of United Healthcare I believe.)

Links:

http://www.goldenrule.com/

http://www.anthem.com/health-insurance/plans-and-benefits/pb-overview

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Gravity Pike posted:

How old are you? If you're under 27 and your parents still have insurance, the recent health reform allows you to be covered under their plan.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
In Excel 2007, is there any way to lock a sheet from having it's cells' values changed if they derive those values from a different sheet? I.E, sheet 2 has a value calculated from a cell in sheet 1, but say now I want sheet 2 to stay the same forever but still be able to change the values in sheet 1 without changing sheet 2. I mean technically I could just erase the formula but I would like a less tedious way to do it.

I know I didn't do a good job explaining that, I can provide visuals if needed.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

DarthJeebus posted:

In Excel 2007, is there any way to lock a sheet from having it's cells' values changed if they derive those values from a different sheet? I.E, sheet 2 has a value calculated from a cell in sheet 1, but say now I want sheet 2 to stay the same forever but still be able to change the values in sheet 1 without changing sheet 2. I mean technically I could just erase the formula but I would like a less tedious way to do it.

I know I didn't do a good job explaining that, I can provide visuals if needed.

I am not an excel genius by any means, but I believe that you could "select all", then "paste values".

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

I am not an excel genius by any means, but I believe that you could "select all", then "paste values".

Does the trick perfectly, cheers :cheers:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

I got my insurance from http://www.ehealthinsurance.com

They're legit, they just act as a broker basically. I'm insured through Anthem, but they have many different providers as well.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

I got my insurance from http://www.ehealthinsurance.com

They're legit, they just act as a broker basically. I'm insured through Anthem, but they have many different providers as well.

Holy crap, this website is awesome. I'm switching to Kaiser Permanente thanks to it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Holy crap, this website is awesome. I'm switching to Kaiser Permanente thanks to it.

I advise against that. I had Kaiser when I was under my parents insurance and it is the biggest nightmare ever. It seems great to be able to go to a building that has a ton of doctors but it is the biggest pain in the rear end ever, you need a referal for EVERYTHING. You literally cannot get a cold checked out without going to ten doctors first.

Apparently a few people on the Internet also agree with me:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...e+sucks&spell=1

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
When asking how to do something which phrase is correct: "How do I..." or "How can I..."

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

When asking how to do something which phrase is correct: "How do I..." or "How can I..."

How can I is asking how to approach a problem.
How do I is asking how to perform the solution.

How can I find out how to get to London?
How do I use the internet to find train times?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Banking question.

A person is depositing a check from me on Saturday. Columbus Day, a banking day, is also coming on Monday. Since the check was deposited on Saturday, will Columbus Day affect the processing time? Should I add an extra day to the normal timeframe, or will the computers do their thing and treat Monday as any other day?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abel Wingnut posted:

Banking question.

A person is depositing a check from me on Saturday. Columbus Day, a banking day, is also coming on Monday. Since the check was deposited on Saturday, will Columbus Day affect the processing time? Should I add an extra day to the normal timeframe, or will the computers do their thing and treat Monday as any other day?

The deposit time is usually measured in "business days" which do not count national holidays, so add the extra day.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Abel Wingnut posted:

Banking question.

Depends on what you are looking for as far as what will happen. When it comes out of your account? When the check will clear for him? Etc.

But yes the above is correct, only business days (mon-fri non holidays) count toward processing days. Keep in mind the debiting process is usually tweaked to the shorter end and the crediting towards the longer. ;)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know where I can find information or footage related to the making of the UK comedy series Peep Show? I've looked on google and youtube but just find unrelated things. I'd be interested to see how the scenes were done with views from each actor's perspective.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know where I can find information or footage related to the making of the UK comedy series Peep Show? I've looked on google and youtube but just find unrelated things. I'd be interested to see how the scenes were done with views from each actor's perspective.

I'd imagine that its nothing fancy: re shoot the scene with the camera at actor's head-height, have on screen cast look down the lens.

Your best bet would be to buy or rent the series on DVD, seeing if they have making of documentaries as special features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

What video or animated gif was the source for the :parrot: smilie/emoticon? I've seen variations of this in avatars as well but I can't seem to track down the original source via Google or otherwise.