Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Whitezombi posted:

Did you notice the yellow umbrella when framing or was it a happy accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Couple of pics from the Oakland protest of the Meserhle murder verdict. Light was pretty bad and there were a few points where power was lost so not the greatest images. It was peaceful up until it got dark and the protest had ended, when a bunch of anarchists showed up and tried to agitate the remaining crowd and police. Fortunately it seemed like the community groups & cops were prepared this time and not much happened (at least compared to the actual riot that happened last year).

Anarchist black blocs attempting to incite violence with graffiti and smashing windows:

Most people don't take the bait and get the gently caress out, OPD comes in arrests some hippies.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 10, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Looks like it could get pretty intense. Were you with a group of people? How did the police react to being filmed?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Haven't posted anything in forever.

What a cast...

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Looks like it could get pretty intense. Were you with a group of people? How did the police react to being filmed?

It was pretty tame compared to the actual riot that happened last year. This time it was just a handful of Berkeley anarchist idiots unsuccessfully trying to agitate the crowd + some idiots looting one store. I thought this was probably the first instance I have ever seen of a police force handling a protest without pulling any poo poo (last year at the actual riot it was basically a free for all with cops beating & arresting whoever was closest to them).

I wasn't with anyone but I also left right before they sealed off downtown and fired tear gas so I'm not sure what happened after that.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Did you notice the yellow umbrella when framing or was it a happy accident?

Yes I did - I sat there hoping he didnt move and waiting for them to walk behind him.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From the 4th.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Random stuff, any tips to postprocessing?

Hate the busy background on this one.

Not sure about the leaves, too distracting?

Edit: I like that pictures of people taking pictures :)

Greybone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 1, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Greybone posted:

Edit: I like that pictures of people taking pictures :)

Seems to me more like a picture of a man taking a picture of a man taking a picture.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Just wandering around the city of sails. I like street photography, as creepy as it might sound, wandering for a walk looking for cool moments to catch with a camera is fun and relaxing. (yes technically the first one isn't "street", it's but it's in the spirit of it

IMG_6290 by trambopaline, on Flickr

IMG_6298 by trambopaline, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't do street much, but this came out nicely I think

A serious commute for a serious man. by Steve takes pictures, on Flickr

Also totally testing flickr's new bbcode generator.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Here are a few that I took in Japan a few years back. Photography seemed a lot easier there.

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
Took a day trip to Boston yesterday. First time ever doing street photography. I wish there were more big cities in my area, because nobody there paid me any attention and taking random pictures of people isn't something I can get away with in my own immediate area.

Cross-posted to SAD.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Main street, Hope, Alaska-this girl caught this fish and wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I couldn't resist the opportunity.

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
More from my trip. Not as fond of them as my last batch though.

Black Betty
Jul 30, 2008

My Cakes are LOL posted:

Took a day trip to Boston yesterday. First time ever doing street photography. I wish there were more big cities in my area, because nobody there paid me any attention and taking random pictures of people isn't something I can get away with in my own immediate area.

Cross-posted to SAD.

Love this area, love this photo, especially love watching kids get hit in the face with columns of water.

Content:
I kinda love this one. (it counts even if my focus was on the graffiti, right?)

Edit: For more 'street' people.

I kinda hate this one.

Choosebary
Oct 23, 2003

I decided to try and take pictures of people last time I was in London, unfortunately the only way I had the testicles to try it was with a longer lens and pretending that wasn't what I was doing. My personal favourite was pointing it at people, taking the picture and then holding the same position as they moved away as if I was taking a picture of something behind them! Genius right.

As a first attempt at taking random stranger photos I was okay with exactly 3 of about 200.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I like 'em. There's some sloppy exposure comp on the last one (the coat).

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Choosebary posted:

Wide crops :swoon:

All 3 are great. They could probably use a slight bump up in exposure, but my only real complaint is that if you're going to set the clarity to a million at least mask out the background.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

I think #4 is the worst one, but you tell me.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Mannequin posted:

Are these all Full Frame? I want Full Frame.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Full Frame with two capital f's.

CUBEANGLE
Nov 30, 2006

Mannequin posted:

I disagree, I think #4 is the best. Nice 3D and dynamic feel. Quick thoughts:

1 - feels like a movie frame, as if the phone conversation is the subject and so the narrative is perhaps lacking in a still. I suppose it'd be goonesque to point out the slightly unflattering double chin (obviously not a chubby girl) and arm-hair. I'd clone out the innoculation mark.
2 - I'd rather see more buildings than sidewalk. Perhaps get closer and use the wideangle and buildings to push the dog's feeling of isolation.
3 - I think the fact that the security guards are identifiable in silouette makes the image, I like the framing idea though the black pillar on the right is just dead space.
5 - no strong feelings about this image.

Please don't take my comments to heart, I'm hardly qualified to crit. I like your style, I've added you as a contact as I'd like to see more.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
No, glad to have the feedback, thanks dude.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mannequin posted:

For some reason, I really, really like this one. Don't know why, but I think the ethereal quality that appeals to me wouldn't appeal to say, oh, poopinmymouth.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Greybone posted:

I like that pictures of people taking pictures :)

While on vacation a few years ago I took a picture of my sister taking a picture of the Berlin Wall which had a picture on it of a woman taking a picture of the Berlin Wall.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Dicking around at the Des Moines Farmer's Market yesterday:

The last one's my coworker who apparently works for a farm on the weekends.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 6, 2010

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mannequin posted:

Nikon should pay you money to be the entire marketing campaign for the 85mm f/1.4.

All the shots are great, btw. Your trademark processing is great, but seeing you do some standard color and B&W shots really highlights that you don't need it as a crutch.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks. Any feedback is helpful so I really appreciate it! Yeah, I'm trying to step away from all that horrible processing I did in the past. We'll see how it goes.

torgeaux posted:

For some reason, I really, really like this one. Don't know why, but I think the ethereal quality that appeals to me wouldn't appeal to say, oh, poopinmymouth.

Ah yes, I could talk about the hidden/deeper meanings for hours.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mannequin posted:

I too think 4 is the best. I think the perspective really conveys the enormity and busyness of the city.

I have to say that the image of the girl makes me a little uncomfortable in that I feel like she probably didn't want her picture taken and it feels a little bit like you stole her soul, but that's just a personal thing and is very much within the domain of street shooting.

You've got your b&w conversion down.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

I have to say that the image of the girl makes me a little uncomfortable in that I feel like she probably didn't want her picture taken and it feels a little bit like you stole her soul, but that's just a personal thing and is very much within the domain of street shooting.

Actually, you're right. It makes me feel uncomfortable too for the same reason now that you mention it. I think I should delete it.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Been a bit since I've actively been in the dorkroom - here's a couple shots from the CTA?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I finally bought a rangefinder camera last weekend and now I'm forcing myself to go out and shoot street with it. We'll see how the shots look when I develop them, but I'm not excited about anything yet. I am SO not used to shooting people who don't actively want to be on camera. This should be a good thing for me to get me out of my comfort zone.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
If this has been covered and beat to death, I apologize and you can feel free to beat me to death.

I'm envious of you guys doing street photography. To me it captures people being spontaneous and in most cases, people not attempting to pose for a camera - people just being well... people, and I absolutely love that.

As for my question - It seems like quiet a few of you are shooting in fairly metropolitan areas where someone snapping pictures of the surrounding area may not seem incredibly out of the norm. If you don't live in one of those metro/downtown areas do you feel nervous about taking photos of people? How often do you get confronted by people you've taken pictures of, asking what/why? Do people get irate and demand that you stop or delete any pictures taken with them?

I would love to try my hand at street photography using my Canon T1i - I just don't want to piss people off, seem like a creeper, etc.

Thanks

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

WildFoxMedia posted:

If this has been covered and beat to death, I apologize and you can feel free to beat me to death.

I'm envious of you guys doing street photography. To me it captures people being spontaneous and in most cases, people not attempting to pose for a camera - people just being well... people, and I absolutely love that.

As for my question - It seems like quiet a few of you are shooting in fairly metropolitan areas where someone snapping pictures of the surrounding area may not seem incredibly out of the norm. If you don't live in one of those metro/downtown areas do you feel nervous about taking photos of people? How often do you get confronted by people you've taken pictures of, asking what/why? Do people get irate and demand that you stop or delete any pictures taken with them?

I would love to try my hand at street photography using my Canon T1i - I just don't want to piss people off, seem like a creeper, etc.

Thanks

In built up areas its alot easier to fire away without being noticed, but its much harder to get good photographs.

Start by shooting from the hip, even in areas with not much going on people wont notice, then your confidence will slowly build and if you felt like could start raising the camera to your face, some people make eye contact others just take the picture and walk away. All depends on your demeanor and reading the other person.

This was taken in Poland and it was pretty obvious I was taking his picture, but its very rare people will complain, most people just think "oh well hes obviously not taking a picture of me".

Polish Fisherman by chrisdhegarty, on Flickr

Sometimes its a better picture if they notice

Untitled by chrisdhegarty, on Flickr

But sometimes people just hate getting there picture taken, understandably, and make a big fuss. I had a pretty heated discussion with this man and in the end it came down to him saying I shouldn't taken pictures without me asking and me saying why not?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I live in a little town that barely has people walking the streets, so street photography kind of sucks. I have pretty good luck going to larger events and taking photos though. Try a local festival day, or a local fair. I recently got to go to a NASCAR event and got to shoot street the whole time. It was awesome.

Some people are just pissed off at having their photo taken and there's not much you can do about it besides not care.

The Gooniest Goon
Jul 10, 2010
I'm a raw rookie at this - this is some of the first street photography I've ever shot. Feel free to roast me alive!

Tri-X 400/Pentax Spotmatic, in downtown Vancouver.

The Gooniest Goon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 6, 2010

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
There seems to be alot of talk, and a fair amount of disagreement on lenses in here. For someone looking to branch out from a kit lense and wanting to try something that would serve me well for street photography - would this be a decent starter? http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
Street photography is generally done with "normal" or wide-angle lenses.

That 50mm would be a "normal" lens on a full-frame sensor or film camera, but would be a bit long for street photography, at least as conventionally practised, on a crop sensor DSLR.

Honestly, a kit lens, somewhere on its wide end should be fine. Consider setting a tightish aperture (something like f/8) and pre-focussing so as not to lose shots to waiting for auto-focus, you'd be surprised how deep a depth of field you can easily manage in daylight.

dunno fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 7, 2010