Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BigHead posted:

To be fair, fair prosecutors aren't elected. And if they aren't elected, they don't give a gently caress what some hick from the sticks thinks. And by "hick from the sticks" I mean hick from the sticks and elected official.

Edit: in my limited experience.

Doesn't really matter. Just an additional link in the chain. If it's an appointment, it's still open to political interference from an elected official. If your office gets poo poo on by the press, that elected official will think he's making himself look good by loving with the office.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What they got against white folk where you all are from?

They got a lot against white folk here. White folk get convicted. Not as much as Chuukese, but more than average.

Edit: It's really not helping that the White Folk are trying to take a lot more of their land at the moment, either.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

Doesn't really matter. Just an additional link in the chain. If it's an appointment, it's still open to political interference from an elected official. If your office gets poo poo on by the press, that elected official will think he's making himself look good by loving with the office.

I totally agree. Alaska, being the best state notwithstanding the Palins, however, has the best appointment system. It's up to 1 rep from the DA, 1 rep from the PD, 1 rep from Civil, 1 judge, and the fifth (tiebreaking) vote is the Chief Justice. The governor just sort of signs off on their pick. Appointment without the moron.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't read those loving nerd bibles, what's wrong with you. The little girl yelled that at Sting and then the dude from Twin Peaks blew up a bunch of storm troopers in trash bags with those fake guns
scrub please, we both know you jerk off to your autographed daguerreotype of frank herbert every night

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are you two talking about a real thing
don't front ainsley, don't front

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hey struggling goon lawyers, want to help out another struggling goon lawyer on a pretty cut-and-dry unfair debt collection case, on contingency? PM Me.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

nm posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Phil with it

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
If an Attorney General files suit against a company for Deceptive Trade Practices violations, does that preempt private claims?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

If an Attorney General files suit against a company for Deceptive Trade Practices violations, does that preempt private claims?

no privity

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

BigHead posted:

no privity

Privity isn't needed?

I guess what trips me up is that the AG can collect on behalf of citizens, but only actual damages. So does the citizen still have a claim for exemplary damages or is the claim not barred but the jury award is reduced by the amount received or does the citizen get to double dip?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

Privity isn't needed?

Oh I got confused between preemption and, um, that other thing. Not release and res judicata, but the other one. You know. What your CivPro professor spent half a day trying to teach you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

claissprmmtmm preclusion

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Defenestration posted:

Really, wrongful conduct? That's what they were charging him with? I was under the impression it was Treason.

PS. SPOILERSSSSSS
This post certifies that Defenestration knows something about television.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

My girlfriend passed the DE bar :woop:

Now to wait for 4 pm tomorrow to see the PA results :suicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^
Don't be too happy, she now has to be a lawyer

BigHead posted:

Oh I got confused between preemption and, um, that other thing. Not release and res judicata, but the other one. You know. What your CivPro professor spent half a day trying to teach you.
Please stop talking about law here, this is the lawyer & law school thread, um k?

I'm getting a carnitas burrito for lunch today. WOOO!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

I'm getting a carnitas burrito for lunch today. WOOO!

I got a panko crusted schnitzel with red cabbage, homemade sauerkraut, curry ketchup, spicy mustard and mushroom gravy.

$5.

:love:

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I got a panko crusted schnitzel with red cabbage, homemade sauerkraut, curry ketchup, spicy mustard and mushroom gravy.

$5.

:love:

I'm going down to my school's cafeteria, to eat what can only loosely be categorized as food.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I may or may not have made 40 lbs of macaroni and cheese last night

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Linguica posted:

My girlfriend passed the DE bar :woop:

Now to wait for 4 pm tomorrow to see the PA results :suicide:

Is she a UVA grad who works as a corporate lawyer in Wilmington, per chance?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I hate IP so much. SO. loving. MUCH.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Stunt Rock posted:

Is she a UVA grad who works as a corporate lawyer in Wilmington, per chance?
Ummm no...

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Linguica posted:

Ummm no...

Just curious since I had a friend post about passing the DE bar today.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Incredulous Red posted:

I may or may not have made 40 lbs of macaroni and cheese last night
Can I come over?

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
I ate two cold turkey hot dogs because i can't be hosed to do dishes atm. Read this posts, marvel in my coolness.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

nm posted:

Can I come over?

Sure

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Five Guys. Every day last week. Green curry chicken today.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Five Guys. Every day last week. Green curry chicken today.

Green diarrhea tomorrow

dividebyzero posted:

I ate two cold turkey hot dogs because i can't be hosed to do dishes atm. Read this posts, marvel in my coolness.

My lowest point was blowing my nose with a chiptole receipt because I didn't have any tissues

This was after I graduated and passed the bar btw

Also I never heard back from that job application. I was apparently not a lucky dog

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So while I've given up on law school (going the CS route instead), still been keeping up with the thread.

Anyone care to lawyerly insight into the legal issues mentioned in this Wired article? If the FBI plants a bug on my car without so much as a warrant, am I within my rights to sell it on craigslist? I plugged "Finders v. Keepers" into Google Scholar and got nothing...

A summary for the lazy:

quote:

A California student got a visit from the FBI this week after he found a secret GPS tracking device on his car, and a friend posted photos of it online. The post prompted wide speculation about whether the device was real, whether the young Arab-American was being targeted in a terrorism investigation and what the authorities would do.

It took just 24 hours to find out: The device was real, the student was being secretly tracked and the FBI wanted their expensive device back, the student told Wired.com in an interview Wednesday...

His discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals saying it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly place a tracking device on a suspect’s car without getting a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway...

Afifi considered selling the device on Craigslist before the FBI showed up. He was in his apartment Tuesday afternoon when a roommate told him “two sneaky-looking people” were near his car. Afifi, already heading out for an appointment, encountered a man and woman looking his vehicle outside. The man asked if Afifi knew his registration tag was expired. When Afifi asked if it bothered him, the man just smiled. Afifi got into his car and headed for the parking lot exit when two SUVs pulled up with flashing lights carrying four police officers in bullet-proof vests.

The agent who initially spoke with Afifi identified himself then as Vincent and told Afifi, “We’re here to recover the device you found on your vehicle. It’s federal property. It’s an expensive piece, and we need it right now.”

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 8, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

GregNorc posted:

So while I've given up on law school (going the CS route instead), still been keeping up with the thread.

Anyone care to lawyerly insight into the legal issues mentioned in this Wired article? If the FBI plants a bug on my car without so much as a warrant, am I within my rights to sell it on craigslist? I plugged "Finders v. Keepers" into Google Scholar and got nothing...

A summary for the lazy:

I'd argue abandonment because gently caress the po-lice comin' straight from tha underground

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GregNorc posted:

A summary for the lazy:

There was an episode of the Wire about basically this fact pattern, check that out I guess

Wavelet
Jun 1, 2009
Anyone know anything about CA biglaw? The good firms? The bad firms? The TTTs?

Wavelet fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 8, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Incredulous Red posted:

I'd argue abandonment because gently caress the po-lice comin' straight from tha underground

Young nigga got it bad cause he's brown

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wavelet posted:

Anyone know anything about CA biglaw? The good firms? The bad firms? The TTTs?
That's a pretty ridiculously broad question there

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Linguica posted:

That's a pretty ridiculously broad question there

Yup. For example, if you wanted to do real estate work, Allen Matkins is one of the biggest names in the business in California. But God help you if you go there for anything else.

So who wants to bet we get a response that is "I want to make NY level pay, bill 1900 hours a year, work only with nice people on interesting tasks, and have tons of prestige?"

In other words, law student dreamin'.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I would settle for New York level pay, 1900 billables as more of a suggestion than a requirement, and my work being limited to performing opening and closings for the really interesting cases (hand me bullet points on flashcards ten minutes before showtime).

Oh, and I get invited to the team lunches/dinners whenever we're ordering from some place good.

Is that asking too much?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Green Crayons posted:

I would settle for New York level pay, 1900 billables as more of a suggestion than a requirement, and my work being limited to performing opening and closings for the really interesting cases (hand me bullet points on flashcards ten minutes before showtime).

Oh, and I get invited to the team lunches/dinners whenever we're ordering from some place good.

Is that asking too much?
No way, if you ask real nice you can probably get a personal butler to open and close your office door for you too. :)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mookie posted:

1. I want to make NY level pay,
2. bill 1900 hours a year,
3. work only with nice people
4. on interesting tasks, and
5. have tons of prestige?

Hey, I've got 1 out of 5!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Incredulous Red posted:

I want to read the brief from the government that says that dude is a bailee or something. I wish the dude had smashed it just to see if there would be some kind of dumbass malicious destruction of government property case or something.

Oh wait though the dude would probably lose because he's brown and has a weird name.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I can't get over just how ridiculous the New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners website is

Wavelet
Jun 1, 2009

Mookie posted:

Yup. For example, if you wanted to do real estate work, Allen Matkins is one of the biggest names in the business in California. But God help you if you go there for anything else.

So who wants to bet we get a response that is "I want to make NY level pay, bill 1900 hours a year, work only with nice people on interesting tasks, and have tons of prestige?"

In other words, law student dreamin'.

You're 2 for 4: I want to make NY level pay and have tons of prestige. In California. Doing litigation. Hopefully my question is not too broad to answer now?

Wavelet fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 8, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Linguica posted:

I can't get over just how ridiculous the New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners website is

They are apparently all space-lawyers practicing Space law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Wavelet posted:

You're 2 for 4: I want to make NY level pay and have tons of prestige. In California. Doing litigation. Hopefully my question is not too broad to answer now?
Irell or Quinn Emannuel? I've been co or opposing counsel to them in some cases recently, and they have been quite impressive.