Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

Actually, TNA is using the nWo Theme. For Hogan.

It's not the exact same theme. It just sounds really really similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

Actually, TNA is using the nWo Theme. For Hogan.
They're using an nWo theme from the Playstation version of WCW Thunder that wasn't really ever used on television. Rockhouse hasn't been used.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's not the exact same theme. It just sounds really really similar.

Well, sure. But that's more my point. If they did want to use the exact nWo theme, it would be for Hogan and not the "TNA Wolfpack"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

Well, sure. But that's more my point. If they did want to use the exact nWo theme, it would be for Hogan and not the "TNA Wolfpack"

Oh, I got ya.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well the Wolfpack already has the Wolfpac music.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

Well the Wolfpack already has the Wolfpac music.

Prior to it, Hogan had the modified nWo music.

ANYWAY :downs:

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Gonzo McFee posted:

How? He busts himself open on the way to the ring.

This was drunken surfer dude Sandman not drunken self-caning Sandman. Paul E. clearly hadnt convinced him "busting self open = babes and $$$" yet.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Why are people so condemning about Mike Awesome leaving ECW? I know fans don't like it when a star leaves a struggling organization, but he seemed liuke thge type of guy who had really payed his dues in the indies and really deserved some home grown financial security, normally most fans understand this and will excuse such actions. Why is everyone so harsh on Awesome?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Why are people so condemning about Mike Awesome leaving ECW? I know fans don't like it when a star leaves a struggling organization, but he seemed liuke thge type of guy who had really payed his dues in the indies and really deserved some home grown financial security, normally most fans understand this and will excuse such actions. Why is everyone so harsh on Awesome?

ECW fans were for the most part short sighted douchebags.

And on top of that, he WASN'T BEING PAID. Why the gently caress would you not want to leave a promotion when they are not paying you. He was totally right to try to get out.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Wow, I've never even heard that said in his defence, that changes things a lot.

I just watched One Night Stand 2005, I find it hard to begrudge a performer like Awesome, who really seems to care about putting on a good match and giving the crowd somethihng to remember. Even in WCW when he stuck the lovely gimmicks, he still seemd really happy to just have an audience to perform infront of.

That and being a musician I always have kind of a soft spot of the troubadours of the wrestling world.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 8, 2010

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

Why are people so condemning about Mike Awesome leaving ECW?

By "people" at this point you would at best mean Joey Styles on-air. Paul Heyman was notorious, especially as the years dragged on, for not paying guys on time or the amount agreed upon.

I mean if you're not paying your champion, gently caress you really. But at any rate it was turned into an angle, probably mainly so that ECW wouldn't get egg completely all over its face.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Basically, people were so angry because he went to WCW when still ECW Champion.

They really didn't care about Tazz jobbing out to Triple H while being ECW Champion working for the WWF, but being an ECW talent and ECW Champion infuriated fans. Which is rightfully so, since they didn't know the story of why Awesome would do such a thing. Honestly, it's Paul Heyman who deserves 100% of the blame. It's not like every ECW fan was connected to dirt sheets.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sue Denim posted:

Because Paul Heyman is a cult of personality. ECW succeeded as long as it did because one man managed to convince people that they were a part of something special. Not just the wrestlers, mind. The crowd. They all felt they were a part of the show and were just as involved as anybody else. It was THEIR promotion and THEIR show and that gave them so much positive word-of-mouth that it kept them alive. The same people paid to go to literally every show. They'd talk about how awesome it was to their non-wrestling buddies, who'd go and then get caught up in that cult atmosphere.

That kind of environment was absolutely crucial for ECW's survival but it led to people resenting anybody who left for a time. Then, after the real anger subsided, they'd just chant ECW at them at the competitor's show and love them again.

Mike Awesome, however, left with the belt. He was run down by Joey Styles constantly. Not only did he leave, but he left for WCW, who was the enemy. Meanwhile, Taz, who worked for the WWF, came back for no money and took the belt from him.

It was a whole perception thing about WCW being the evil empire and WWF being supportive of ECW whilst stealing its product wholesale.

Mike Awesome did absolutely nothing wrong. He wasn't paid for over a month. He left and made a pile of money.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
There was a question in another thread a couple of weeks ago that I don't think got answered. When and why did Scott Steiner start wearing his chain-mail headgear?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I think 1999. He was given the chain-mail by a female fan during an Australian tour (not on TV, in real life), loved it, and started wearing it to the ring.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What ever happened to that hot chick that would go to the ring with him in 2000 WCW? Is she still involved in wrestling?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

What ever happened to that hot chick that would go to the ring with him in 2000 WCW? Is she still involved in wrestling?

Midajah?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melinda_O'Hearn

Apparently she left wrestling.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I remember hearing somewhere that Rey Mysterio had to get permission from wrestling authorities in Mexico before he could wear his mask again. Is this true? And if it is, why didn't other masked wrestlers who were demasked in WCW do the same thing?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Spikeguy posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that Rey Mysterio had to get permission from wrestling authorities in Mexico before he could wear his mask again. Is this true? And if it is, why didn't other masked wrestlers who were demasked in WCW do the same thing?

To my knowledge, there aren't wrestling authorities like that. It is tradition to stay unmasked once you do so. I can think of twenty other guys that put their mask back on.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

I think 1999. He was given the chain-mail by a female fan during an Australian tour (not on TV, in real life), loved it, and started wearing it to the ring.

That's awesome. I figured it was one of Steiner's crazy ideas but knowing that a fan just randomly gave it to him and he liked it enough to just start wearing it is even better.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Spikeguy posted:

The whole 'Rey can't wear his mask again thing!' is really overblown. In general, Mexican wrestling makes a big deal about getting unmasked but plenty of guys either get unmasked and then later show up with a different masked gimmick or just go back to wearing their mask eventually. I'm sure there were some people that were mad that Rey went back to the mask without any kind of angle supporting it but it wasn't like he was going to get shot in TJ if he showed up down there.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Even if such an authority existed, surely they would be very leniant and sympathetic towards anyone who lost their mask during either a Russo or Bischoff administration.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sue Denim posted:

Even if such an authority existed, surely they would be very leniant and sympathetic towards anyone who lost their mask during either a Russo or Bischoff administration.

Or that looked like a 12 year old boy without it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My problem with Awesome isn't that he left. ECW was a tough place to work and the reward wasn't great enough. It's that he didn't tell Heyman he was done with the company. And I seem to recall he WAS getting paid (there's a list of people Heyman owes money to, and Awesome's name is absent, and it's a list that includes Corino, Storm and The Dudleys, who were man enough to lose on the way out, as was Storm), he just felt he deserved more because he was ECW champion.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wrestling is a lovely business. People do lovely things to each other. It sucks at the time but what ever we move on. It was lovely what Vince did to Bret, but it was a lovely situation to begin with. With Awesome I was mad at the time, but by next week the only thing I was mad about was that WCW was doing nothing with this wonderful athlete. To this day I think Mike Awesome was one of the best big man athletes ever.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And I seem to recall he WAS getting paid (there's a list of people Heyman owes money to, and Awesome's name is absent, and it's a list that includes Corino, Storm and The Dudleys, who were man enough to lose on the way out, as was Storm)

Actually, the way Awesome got paid was agreeing to come back to ECW to drop the title to Taz. That was one of the stipulations. He would return and drop the belt if Paul paid him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

^^ Didn't WCW wind up hiring an outside security firm for Awesome's last ECW match, because they were so worried abut his safety?

My problem with Awesome isn't that he left. ECW was a tough place to work and the reward wasn't great enough. It's that he didn't tell Heyman he was done with the company. And I seem to recall he WAS getting paid (there's a list of people Heyman owes money to, and Awesome's name is absent, and it's a list that includes Corino, Storm and The Dudleys, who were man enough to lose on the way out, as was Storm), he just felt he deserved more because he was ECW champion.

I think Awesome did eventually get his money, because I imagine he would have murdered Heyman otherwise while both were working for WWE, but he had yet to be paid at the time he left ECW. Since you bring up Storm, here's what he says about Awesome:

Lance Storm posted:

Mike got a lot of heat for the way he left ECW, but a lot of that was unjustified. The true story is that Mike was owed a significant amount of money from ECW and he refused to sign his contract until he received all money due him. After repeatedly not receiving money promised him Mike accepted an offer from WCW that offered his family financial security. I’m not sure there is anyone in the business that would have done differently.

To amend that last sentence, I'm not sure there's anyone in any business that would have done differently. poo poo, when I was in Iowa and money was tight at our firm, the other owners and I sat on our paychecks so everyone else could get their cash dollars. I sure wouldn't expect someone to come in and work for free, with the promise of "oh, you'll get paid when we can pay you."

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fair enough, but he still left ECW holding their dicks in a way that in m yopinion helped kill the company. He could have just vacated the belt and signed the contract. He doesn't have to do a job (which I think WCW requested), ECW gets to build some interest with a world title tourney, and Awesome gets the money he deserves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leaving with the belt may have been something of a dick move, but it was the only leverage Awesome had. If he had just tossed the belt to Heyman and said, "See you, I'm going to work for Turner," there would have been no reason whatsoever for Heyman to make paying him a priority.

The only thing about the Awesome situation that helped kill the company was Heyman having to write out a big check when he probably wasn't planning on it, and therefore having more financial woes.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He could have sued for breach of contract. Then again, Sabu sued Paul for the same thing and it didn't work, although that may have had something to do with Heyman having proof that Sabu was gonna be part of an invasion angle headed by Alfonzo. That said, the people who cheered or were happy when Awesome passed away can blow me. I was angry at Awesome for a while too, but at this point my feeling is more that he could have just handled things differently.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2010

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Fair enough, but he still left ECW holding their dicks in a way that in m yopinion helped kill the company. He could have just vacated the belt and signed the contract. He doesn't have to do a job (which I think WCW requested), ECW gets to build some interest with a world title tourney, and Awesome gets the money he deserves.

The champion leaving because he wasn't getting paid killed the company more than not being able to pay its champion?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

That said, the people who cheered or were happy when Awesome passed away can blow me. I was angry at Awesome for a while too, but at this point my feeling is more that he could have just handled things differently.

Yeah, when a guy hangs himself I'm more sad for him and his surviving family than angry about what he did with a fake wrestling title while he was alive.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The champion leaving because he wasn't getting paid killed the company more than not being able to pay its champion?

Yes, because up until then, everyone KNEW that ECW had money problems, but it had never caused anybody to flat out walk. The coffin was already built, this was the nail.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

LividLiquid posted:

I have a feeling if the nWo theme were up for grabs, TNA would be using it like they are the Wolfpac theme.

Just to compare Hogan't theme and the original nWo theme:

Hogan theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOqLtqWF_U
nWo theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OOBNC16VM

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 8, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yes, because up until then, everyone KNEW that ECW had money problems, but it had never caused anybody to flat out walk. The coffin was already built, this was the nail.

Yeah, Awesome leaving for another job because he wasn't getting paid (and saw the writing on the wall) is the reason ECW flatlined. It wasn't because Heyman is one of the worst money managers in the history of business and racked up $9 million in debt for a company that had next to no assets or income, no sir. Awesome left in, what, March of 2000? The company didn't shut down until more than a year later. He did nothing wrong, outside of saying, "Hey, I did the work. Fuckin' pay me."

Edit: Christ, you could probably make a better argument by saying that the infusions of cash from the WWF were more responsible for ECW's death, since being able to deposit those checks deluded Heyman into thinking he could keep on moving with business as usual instead of cutting costs everywhere. (I don't believe this, I'm just saying that it's at least a mildly better argument than :argh: AWESOME YOU COCK WHY DID YOU LEAVE WITH THE BELT :argh:.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 8, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Up until this point Heyman was the ultimate conman. He was able to convince people to wrestle without getting paid and doing dangerous poo poo. Up until Awesome no one really told him "gently caress you pay me". Awesoem did what was best for him and his family.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

He could have sued for breach of contract. Then again, Sabu sued Paul for the same thing and it didn't work, although that may have had something to do with Heyman having proof that Sabu was gonna be part of an invasion angle headed by Alfonzo.

Hilarious thing about the H.H.G. (I believe that was the initials) Liquidation proceedings (maybe not as funny as Tommy Dreamer's Ford truck being listed as an ECW asset but whatever) is that Sabu is listed to being owed $0. That's right, $0. Paul Heyman ensured that it said Sabu wasn't owed anything.

As for the Invasion thing, highly doubtful. Remember, Paul didn't book a thing about the Invasion. If Vince wanted to go with Steve Corino and Shane Douglas running in, there wasn't a thing Paul could do about it.

The truth is, Paul Heyman was honestly an incredibly flawed and limited promoter yet an occasionally genius booker ahead of his time who was able to book a territory extremely well to the point of cult status. People try to run the "He was bad with money" thing as far as they can but the truth is, it was bad promoting. Money handling is a part of promoting. One of the single biggest problems about Paul Heyman was he couldn't decide whether he wanted to be big time or small time. That's bad promoting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

Up until Awesome no one really told him "gently caress you pay me".

Didn't Tazz decide to leave because paychecks were coming later and later? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that even though the WWF offered him less than his guaranteed ECW pay, he had no idea when or if that ECW pay would come, so he decided to bail. Then again, this was during the era that sites like Rajah and TPWW were at their height, so who knows what the hell was true or not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Didn't Tazz decide to leave because paychecks were coming later and later? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that even though the WWF offered him less than his guaranteed ECW pay, he had no idea when or if that ECW pay would come, so he decided to bail. Then again, this was during the era that sites like Rajah and TPWW were at their height, so who knows what the hell was true or not.

Even if this was the case, it would only be his WWE base pay that was lower and he would be pretty much guaranteed to make 2-3x what he was making in ECW unless they sent him home and never used him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Hilarious thing about the H.H.G. (I believe that was the initials) Liquidation proceedings (maybe not as funny as Tommy Dreamer's Ford truck being listed as an ECW asset but whatever) is that Sabu is listed to being owed $0. That's right, $0. Paul Heyman ensured that it said Sabu wasn't owed anything.

As for the Invasion thing, highly doubtful. Remember, Paul didn't book a thing about the Invasion. If Vince wanted to go with Steve Corino and Shane Douglas running in, there wasn't a thing Paul could do about it.

The truth is, Paul Heyman was honestly an incredibly flawed and limited promoter yet an occasionally genius booker ahead of his time who was able to book a territory extremely well to the point of cult status. People try to run the "He was bad with money" thing as far as they can but the truth is, it was bad promoting. Money handling is a part of promoting. One of the single biggest problems about Paul Heyman was he couldn't decide whether he wanted to be big time or small time. That's bad promoting.
All I know about the money stuff is what I read, but I agree about the promoting. The only way I knew ECW existed back in the 90's is that I stumbled across it on some Spanish language station, buried on the UHF dial, late night. I liked it, I tried to watch it the next week, it wasn't on at the time I watched it the week before. I didn't have the internet or buy wrestling magazines, so I forgot about it until a couple months later, when it was on the same channel, but at a different time.
If he had promoted it at all, I might have known there were PPV's. I might have gone to see it live, it looked like fun on TV. But I didn't know about this poo poo, because if you weren't a die hard wrestling fan, you didn't hear about it.