Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Someone on Reddit posted links to updated version of X-Wing an Tie Fighter. They look pretty good!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/do1fn/did_you_love_xwing_tie_fighter_andor_xwing/

gently caress you because now I am pissed off I can't find my USB adapter for my joystick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Aha! It was a fun week, Civ V. Now, move the gently caress over. XWA is BACK.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

watching the Star wars episode 3 rifftrax and, while I knew this before, its really made me see how instantly Anikan goes from loving Obi wan to HATING HIS VERY BEING. I also never understood why they have that "hey Obi sorry for being a dick" and Obi is like "Yeah its cool you're cool but try to chill out" then the next time you see Anikan he is all hating on Obi Wan for visiting Padme.

It makes no seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeense

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Showing them the PT in the middle of ROTJ may make them forget Luke kisses his sister in Empire
I'm surprised he hasn't cut that out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't cut that out.

Just wait, in the 3D version Luke will kiss the audience.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Duckman2008 posted:

Just wait, in the 3D version Luke will kiss the audience.

Oh good god :gonk:!

Why the hell is Lucas so creepily intent on pushing the movies into THREE DEE anyways. Not like 3D is special anymore.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why the hell is Lucas so creepily intent on pushing the movies into THREE DEE anyways. Not like 3D is special anymore.

He always intended them to be in 3D since he wrote the first draft, but the technology for it didn't exist then. Now, thanks to CGI and James Cameron, Lucas is finally able to fulfill his original vision of Star Wars.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

NGL posted:

He always intended them to be in 3D since he wrote the first draft, but the technology for it didn't exist then. Now, thanks to CGI and James Cameron, Lucas is finally able to fulfill his original vision of Star Wars.

Just wait until Smello-Vision comes around.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Last Emperor posted:

Just wait until Smello-Vision comes around.
And what a wonderful smell you've discovered too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bonzo posted:

Someone on Reddit posted links to updated version of X-Wing an Tie Fighter. They look pretty good!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/do1fn/did_you_love_xwing_tie_fighter_andor_xwing/

Those are fan-made mods for X-Wing Alliance. You should be ashamed of yourself for getting people's hopes up like that. And by ashamed of yourself, I mean compose your soul and make out your will because someone is going to murder you for that.

On a lighter note, one of the XWA devs put up a page of sketches they did for all the goofy TIE variants they used.

http://www.artbot.com/concept/xwa_ties_all.jpg

And XWA had some very goofy TIEs.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

On a lighter note, one of the XWA devs put up a page of sketches they did for all the goofy TIE variants they used.

I love the one on the top left. As if TIEs weren't fragile enough, they felt the need to encase one in high explosives.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

watching the Star wars episode 3 rifftrax and, while I knew this before, its really made me see how instantly Anikan goes from loving Obi wan to HATING HIS VERY BEING. I also never understood why they have that "hey Obi sorry for being a dick" and Obi is like "Yeah its cool you're cool but try to chill out" then the next time you see Anikan he is all hating on Obi Wan for visiting Padme.

It makes no seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeense

I always liked that scene between them. It's their last moment together as friends and it's probably one of the only scenes in the PT that you feel any sort of brotherhood between them.

I will agree it was very bipolar though

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I love the one on the top left. As if TIEs weren't fragile enough, they felt the need to encase one in high explosives.

I like the one on the bottom row, second from left. It has glandular problems.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Now we know what happens to those cadets that flunk flight school and need extra motivation.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 8, 2010

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you don't agree that the Death Star trench run and Battle of Hoth will be awesome in 3D, there is something wrong with you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
3D is a shovelware gimmick that needs to die a quick death.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

3D is a shovelware gimmick that needs to die a quick death.

Correction, 3D conversion is a shovelware gimmick that needs to die a quick death.

Unfortunately for us all 99% of all 3D movies are lovely conversions.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

3D is appropriate in maybe 10% of the movies released each year.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Casimir Radon posted:

3D is appropriate in maybe 10% of the movies released each year.

Is it just me, but I always get a headache when watching 3D movies.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Clemen posted:

Is it just me, but I always get a headache when watching 3D movies.

You're definitely not the only one. Maybe it would be worth it if most 3D films didn't pull the same cheap gags that kinda take you out of the movie.

It always reminds me of that old SCTV gag

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen a "3D conversion" but I can imagine the process, and I can't imagine the result being good. Any suggestions for me to experience the horror?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Those are fan-made mods for X-Wing Alliance. You should be ashamed of yourself for getting people's hopes up like that. And by ashamed of yourself, I mean compose your soul and make out your will because someone is going to murder you for that.

The second one in the top row looks like it has a badass sound system. Which makes no sense but is awesome nonetheless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, there's apparantly The Force Unleashed II spoilers coming out which sound pretty hilarious. Apparantly the game ends on a gigantic cliffhanger that won't be resolved since the third game got canned.

Apparently Starkiller and Juno beat Darth Vader up and the Rebel Alliance captures Vader. That's the ending.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wait, the 3rd game got canceled before the 2nd one even got released? That doesnt bode well for the 2nd game.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I see them releasing sime $15 mission pack to wrap it up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So, there's apparantly The Force Unleashed II spoilers coming out which sound pretty hilarious. Apparantly the game ends on a gigantic cliffhanger that won't be resolved since the third game got canned.

Apparently Starkiller and Juno beat Darth Vader up and the Rebel Alliance captures Vader. That's the ending.
Sorry Luke, we completely forgot to mention this to anyone, now lets never talk about it again.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ImpAtom posted:

How do you can a third game before the second is released?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Shakeups at LucasArts. They have a new President, IIRC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

The new president of Lucas Arts is completely shifting the company's focus once again and basically just came in and axed every project they could get their hands on. Force Unleashed III was just one of the many in development projects that got order 66ed when they took over.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So what's Lucasarts up to now if not video games?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think this is my new top TFU peeve. How the gently caress do they approve poo poo like this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

So what's Lucasarts up to now if not video games?

Still video games, but apparently not the same kind of video games.

A friend of mine has the book and explains what the ending sequence is:

Starkiller leads an assault on Kamino where Vader is breeding Starkiller clones. Vader tries to send PROXY droids and failed clones after him and fails. Vader captures Juno and tries to make Starkiller submit, but Juno gets one of Starkiller's sabers and attacks (and apparently wounds?) Vader. Vader Force Pushes her and seemingly kills her, and then Starkiller goes apeshit and almost kills Vader. Kota urges Starkiller not to kill Vader.

(This is really clearly where the Good/Evil choice will be)

Starkiller decides not to kill Vader. It turns out Juno was just fine. Since nobody knows if Starkiller is really a clone or not, the good guys decide to keep him a secret. Also so the Rebel Alliance won't learn to depend on him too much. Vader is taken off the the Rebel's base as a prisoner. To Be Continued

Other funs bits of info:

Apparently Juno Eclipse is Leia's "role model" and Leia bases herself after her.

Yoda shows up but doesn't do much of anything apparently.

There is a scene where Admiral Ackbar encounters a trap. I'm pretty sure you can figure out what happens.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Those TFU spoilers are worse then I feared. Holy poo poo gently caress Star Wars.

To get our mind over that bullshit lets do a thought exercise. Ever since The Clone Wars were first mentioned in ANH fans have wondered for years what they were. I think it is safe to say that the final answer was not at all what people were expecting.

So, prior to the prequels (or at least AoTC) what did you all believe The Clone Wars were? Or if you never really thought of it because you were too young, what do you think would be better than what we got from the prequels?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always assumed it was clones and Dark Jedi against the Republic and the Jedi, although I didn't think the Jedi would be the institutionalized generals like they ended up being, rather ronin-like figures who helped out the Republic forces individually. I don't think I figured that Palpatine would be behind the anti-Republic forces also, just that he would use the war to bolster his own power.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I always thought it was just a some war among many wars in the past, and not really worth going into. It was a throwaway line. I've always been of the opinion that, even if they were good, the prequels were thoroughly unessential. The story is told in episodes 4-6, and you can fill in with your imagination everything they don't tell you explicitly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I figured it was a war between huge masses of clones occuring between dozens of splinter factions of the republic. Basically, mass cloning became cheap enough that created an infantry army was pathetically cheap and systems no longer needed to look to the republic for protection. A massive decades long civil war ensues during which time untold destruction is unleashed upon the galaxy. The Jedi are like west-point graduates when the civil war broke out, they were all trained under the same rules but they are ultimately more loyal to their home systems than to their ideology.

Palpatine/Emperor was the guy who ultimately wins due to his fascistic military policy and his command of the dark side and willingness to use it. Darth Vader was his most trusted champion who basically would utterly crush smaller systems Jedi in personal battles for intimidation while Palpatine commanded the main forces.

Once Palpatine/Emperor is rolling and its obvious he's going to win, he orders the death of all remaining Jedi in order to cement his victory and position. Its wildly popular since, after all, the Jedi were symbols of systems over the republic attitudes.

Wow I wrote a bunch on this topic.

Edit: Vader being luke's father makes sense in a final vengeance kind of way. I figured Vader "fell" to the darkside after himself being abandoned and having no family. The Jedi teachings of loyalty and lack of emotions is obvious bullshit when their all picking sides so he goes with the guy who genuinely wants to reuinite the galaxy. The Jedis' act of revenge on Vader therefore was to hide his own children from him/maybe kill his wife. Basically a gently caress you to a person who only wanted a family.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 8, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Remember the old Spider-Man live action show from the 70s? Remember the episode where the bad guy gets some of Spider-Man's blood and clones him to find out that he's really Peter Parker? I always imagined Anakin and Obi Wan fighting a huge army of freckley faced guys with mullets.

My Dad was in Vietnam and my Grandfather was in WWII. It just made sense to have a dad in a "war" because everyone I knew back then did.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I heard from a friend it was supposed to be all the Jedi vs their evil clones, or something to the effect, and that once Lucas realized that's not how cloning works (you don't make a carbon copy of someone, memories and all) he changed it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
After reading the Zahn books, I assumed the Clone was was pretty much what Barudak posted. A giant clone vs clone war would explain why everyone would be wary about cloning later.

It would have been an excellent opportunity to make some statements about humanity and morality but whatever I guess POETRY and retarded robots were better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

ImpAtom posted:

Since nobody knows if Starkiller is really a clone or not, the good guys decide to keep him a secret. Also so the Rebel Alliance won't learn to depend on him too much.

What the gently caress.

So does this mean the Rebels had a nigh-unstoppable Jedi badass on their side throughout the entire OT, and just decided not to use him because they didn't want to depend on him?