Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bob Log posted:

I'm just curious what you guys think of this car:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037332

I can't decide if it's a good deal or a terrible catastrophe waiting to happen.

How you gonna get that smog checked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Looks like an overbuilt engine with an awful lot of stupid and useless ricer poo poo stuck on there (JDM headlights point completely the wrong way (left and up) and their reflector designs probably aren't able to be changed to down and right). Grounding kit? lovely brand FMIC? O2 displays are of pretty limited usefulness since I would hope you wouldn't be staring at it doing 40-140 pulls on the freeway. Dynos use their own widebands usually so its some weird sense of security wow look at me blinky light regardless of whose name is on it.

Otherwise you'd buy a half good car with a rated power output. Why does it have all those STi parts added on the list, is it not an STi? 04s are the worst STi.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

CharlesM posted:

The same way I get all my cars smogged, under the table.

Baby Hitler posted:

Otherwise you'd buy a half good car

You weren't alarmed by the regular use of the car causing the intercooler piping to come apart and him not fixing it?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Imprezas since at least the 2002 model year have had two sized galvanized steel for body panels so they should be much more resistant to rust.

Same spot on my 02' wagon. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sockington posted:

Same spot on my 02' wagon. :(

What the hell did you do to it? There's not a hint of body rust anywhere on my car. About the only thing that's rusting is fasteners under the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CharlesM posted:

Heh.
2010-2004=6 years
Guess how many years after model year you need your 1st smog check.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Bob Log posted:

I'm just curious what you guys think of this car:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037332

I can't decide if it's a good deal or a terrible catastrophe waiting to happen.

As exciting as the proposition of buying a ~500 horsepower car is, when it's priced at 19grand I'd pause long and hard.

quote:

I hate to sell this car because as you can see from what I put into it… I never intended to sell it. Unfortunately there’s some extenuating financial circumstances that have arisen that require me to sell this car.

quote:

I'm also considering trades, especially for an evo.

Something doesn't line up there. I'll let you be the judge.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 9, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

What the hell did you do to it? There's not a hint of body rust anywhere on my car. About the only thing that's rusting is fasteners under the car.

8ender piloted the wagon into a ditch. I think he was secretly trying some Dukes of Hazzard poo poo.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sockington posted:

8ender piloted the wagon into a ditch. I think he was secretly trying some Dukes of Hazzard poo poo.

It went in front first :colbert:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My 02 also has a ton of rear right fender rot...

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Might I suggest finding a reputable local tuner and putting a stage 1 tune on the car?

Also I must ask what that red car is also in that sweet sweet garage.

I don't know how I didn't catch your remarks. I picked up an AccessPort at about 300 miles, found the stock map and ran it until 600 miles. I'm now using the "Stage 1" and enjoying every bit of it, although I am still avoiding S# with the 18 or so PSI.

In response to the red bumper, I was working on the car at my father's place, and a snippet of his 360 Spider got caught.

Sockington posted:

It looks like he parks in front of Dr.Octopus with that crazy furnace piping.

EDIT: I didn't see the red car posted in "POST YOUR RIDE" thread, so I dunno.

The builder of his house opted for a very restrictive ducting system throughout the house and to overcome the inadequacies of such a design utilized an oversized HVAC unit. I believe a company came out a couple years back to "properly" configure the ducting, which resulted in the Doc Oc monster.

jamal posted:

yeah. way way better than stock struts, and the springs are still a good amount stiffer.

I'm reading great things about those yellows, however I cannot source those Bilsteins, any help?

I got the windows tinted (WA State legal at 35%) and the rear lamps vinyled; I really wish the car came like this:

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
the bilsteins are for the wrx only right now, and the first run of struts has already been sold. I'd expect an sti version out soon since it only requires a slight change to the front struts.

Just got back from Subiefest up at willow springs. Will have some pictures and videos up tomorrow evening, including the footage of our sti going off track after a suspension failure. Here's the one picture I took with my phone:

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 11, 2010

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

thealphabetsez posted:

I got the windows tinted (WA State legal at 35%) and the rear lamps vinyled; I really wish the car came like this:

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

Agreed! Here's my car - http://syphon.us/pics/wrx.JPG

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

Looks like it got hungry

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

car nearly ended up on it's roof:

video just finished uploading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHx2-pvqtfg

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You can lead a Subaru to pavement, but you can't make it race on it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Hey Jamal, are you guys going to be at the Red Line Time Attack at sears point on the 23rd/24th?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no. if the car is back together in time we will go to the global tuner grand prix time attack at laguna seca the same weekend.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

syphon posted:

Agreed! Here's my car - http://syphon.us/pics/wrx.JPG

What part of WA are you located in? In addition, how are you liking the roof rails? Subaru? I notice Yakima bike rails, easy mounting?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can lead a Subaru to pavement, but you can't make it race on it.

Now that's sticker worthy. Add in a image of a gravel rally car and perfect

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a way to order the new Subaru synthetic (or equivalent) yet, or should I just go with the Shell Rotella T6 synthetic that all the Subaru forums seem to recommend these days?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Got any pics of the failed upright?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

blargle posted:

Is there a way to order the new Subaru synthetic (or equivalent) yet, or should I just go with the Shell Rotella T6 synthetic that all the Subaru forums seem to recommend these days?

Motul, Amsoil or Mobil 1 (worst choice) and nothing else (Edit: I suppose there's others that are OK, but I wouldn't use anything else). You can pick your poison for viscosity based on your climate.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 11, 2010

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

blargle posted:

Just go with that, $20 a gallon and there's an umpteen number of miles ran on that oil collectively.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Bob Log posted:

Motul, Amsoil or Mobil 1 (worst choice) and nothing else (Edit: I suppose there's others that are OK, but I wouldn't use anything else). You can pick your poison for viscosity based on your climate.

I've only ever heard good things about Rotella oil. Even ran the T1 in my Honda VFR800 for 2 years, never had an issue.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Bob Log posted:

Any Blackstone Labs data suggesting an ideal candidate? What about red line?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

thealphabetsez posted:

What part of WA are you located in? In addition, how are you liking the roof rails? Subaru? I notice Yakima bike rails, easy mounting?
The East Side. The cross bars are stock Subaru, and the bike rack is a Yakima Forklift. It's definitely easy to mount a bike to it... it does cause a bit of extra road noise though, and the cross bar is right over my sunroof (so the lack of visibility and added noise effectively make my sunroof worthless).

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Let's talk ECU tuning...

With a bone-stock 2011 wrx, what are my options for getting a reflash? So far I've seen a spendy but pro looking AccessPort and the free OpenEcu. If I am looking for maps developed specifically for stock cars, do I need a tuner and/or dyno involved? Do results vary significantly car to car? Are there any other options out there that I'm not aware of?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

superdylan posted:

Let's talk ECU tuning...

With a bone-stock 2011 wrx, what are my options for getting a reflash? So far I've seen a spendy but pro looking AccessPort and the free OpenEcu. If I am looking for maps developed specifically for stock cars, do I need a tuner and/or dyno involved? Do results vary significantly car to car? Are there any other options out there that I'm not aware of?

Your best bet is to take your car to a well known and established professional tuner. While the Accessport and Tatrix cable will allow you to re-flash your ecu with any number of off the shelf tunes, your greatest gains and safest option is to get a pro tune that is developed for your car. That being said, get a downpipe and exhaust before you get a tune if you want to see any real gains in the power department.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

c355n4 posted:

Got any pics of the failed upright?

just took it off:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

blargle posted:

thealphabetsez posted:

Any Blackstone Labs data suggesting an ideal candidate? What about red line?

T6 is good poo poo, I've sent two samples off to Blackstone after runs of 6000 and 8000 miles. They said to go ahead and try 9000 next time. PM me if you want to see the reports.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2010

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Today while under the Forester I noticed something odd about my front passenger end link.

Or I mean where it used to be. Anybody have recommendations for replacements?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

FecalFajita posted:

Or I mean where it used to be. Anybody have recommendations for replacements?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KLC139

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Whiteline-Front-Spherical-EndLinks-08-11-WRX-STi.html $139 unless you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

Double check the part number for your forester on whiteline's website, but that seems to fit most of the foresters.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 12, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Tremblay posted:

T6 is good poo poo, I've sent two samples off to Blackstone after runs of 6000 and 8000 miles. They said to go ahead and try 9000 next time. PM me if you want to see the reports.

Echoing the Rotella synth love, both my LGT and WRX ran this and consumed pretty much nothing between oil changes.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Review: STi Muffler on '02 WRX Wagon

A++ Would buy again. Running this with stock midpipe and catless 3" DP. Although there isn't a noticable power increase, you could argue that this is also true with most catbacks/axlebacks. Noise level is still low, although it's now loud enough that I can actually hear the exhaust with the windows down. While cruising with windows up and music on, exhaust is still not noticable. Piping size now matches the midpipe (2.25" ID).

For $60, why not?!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/stimuffler.jpg :wtf: I resized this. Is it popping up HUGE for everyone else?

Blaise fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 12, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/stimuffler.jpg :wtf: I resized this. Is it popping up HUGE for everyone else?
Probably just cached, looks fine to me. Can you do a video that gives us an idea of the sound, including under load?

I'm probably gonna go with a Maddad setup.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Probably just cached, looks fine to me. Can you do a video that gives us an idea of the sound, including under load?

I'm probably gonna go with a Maddad setup.

GET A BORLA HUSH

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Absolutely. I resized it to 800x600 but it's popping up as 1280x960 for me.

Amandyke posted:

GET A BORLA HUSH

I heard that these are still significantly louder than the OE mufflers. I like my STi muffler :)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

I heard that these are still significantly louder than the OE mufflers. I like my STi muffler :)

It certainly does sound significantly more fantastic than the OE wrx muffler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. My 2011 WRX that I ordered just came in today and they approved me for financing (which was a shocker). But it's at 8.9% for 3 years on 16k.

I know I could refi but that seems awfully high.

I noticed this sti: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034980

That's right down the road from me I'm really torn about which one to go with. Less cost for the STI is pretty cool but I'm worried about a lot of different factors. poo poo breaking as the STI hits around 100k, etc...

I don't know what to do :(

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 13, 2010