Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Drei posted:

Instead of pulling the tail through the last stitch, pull that stitch in the opposite direction (in other words, undoing the loop). I just discovered this a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Ok, this just isn't making sense to me...can you find or make a video of it so I can see what you're talking about? That seems really interesting.

I'm about to cast on for my grandmother's Christmas present. I'm doing the Russian Olives cardigan from September's Knitter's magazine. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/russian-olives
Pretty standard, and of course there's a poo poo ton of seaming, which is completely sucky and generally against my belief system. But my mom picked the pattern and she's right, Nana will like it. Too bad I don't get to make it from some wonderful fiber, but Nana's 98 years old and like 3/4 senile, so I can't risk her ruining it by laundering it incorrectly. I'm going to do it in an acrylic blend because I know she'll just run it through the washer and dryer and not think twice about even laying it flat to dry in a reasonable shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

click for large

Almost done with the 2nd repeat of the Sunny Baby Blanket and getting much more comfortable with purling along the way, so yay for that. Also helps that I need to have this done before the shower on the 30th.

But now I'm almost to the end of the first ball of yarn, and on my first/last project, the weaved in ends keep popping out. I thought I'd left enough length but maybe I just sucked at the weaving part. So what do you think is the best method for joining w/o felting the ends together?

Also, does anyone use a brace or something along those lines while knitting? I thought there was discussion about this earlier in the thread, but I can't locate it. My right wrist is starting to hate me :(

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

zamiel posted:

click for large

Almost done with the 2nd repeat of the Sunny Baby Blanket and getting much more comfortable with purling along the way, so yay for that. Also helps that I need to have this done before the shower on the 30th.

But now I'm almost to the end of the first ball of yarn, and on my first/last project, the weaved in ends keep popping out. I thought I'd left enough length but maybe I just sucked at the weaving part. So what do you think is the best method for joining w/o felting the ends together?

Also, does anyone use a brace or something along those lines while knitting? I thought there was discussion about this earlier in the thread, but I can't locate it. My right wrist is starting to hate me :(

There are braces you can use while knitting, but I'm not sure what to recommend since I don't use one. I know a few online yarn stores sell them.

My favourite nonspit-splice join is the Russian join (video here partways down the page). It's a bit more work, but it makes a beautiful and mostly invisible join, and it's what I'm using for my mother's superwash sweater.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
Gorgeous blanket!
I often wrap my wrist with an ace bandage while knitting or crocheting. I find the really stiff braces to be awkward and uncomfortable.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Fionnoula posted:

Ok, this just isn't making sense to me...can you find or make a video of it so I can see what you're talking about? That seems really interesting.

Ok, here's my attempt at a photo tutorial, hope my phone photos are clear enough.

So you've bound off your stitches and one remains on the needle, and you've cut the yarn so you have a tail end, comme ca:

Click here for the full 1092x700 image.

Normally you'd grab the tail and pull it through the last stitch, creating a knot:

Click here for the full 1059x1078 image.

But instead, I'm grabbing the stitch itself and pulling it out so the tail starts to get shorter:

Click here for the full 1052x1190 image.

And shorter:

Click here for the full 918x1520 image.

And here it is with the loop fully undone, and we're just left with the tail to weave in, and the BO row is nice, secure, and knot free:

Click here for the full 967x1102 image.

Hope that helps!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Hey guys there's a new Knitty :geno:

It's mostly sweaters. :geno:

And socks. :geno:

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I actually liked this Knitty, there's a bunch of things that appeal to me this time.

Like this thing. What is this thing? I don't care, I love it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I might just make myself a Humphrey. Although I'd need to buy more circs. And yarn. Somehow with all the yarn I've bought lately I still don't have enough for a singular large project, except for the afghan. It's NOT HELPING that it looks pretty drat easy to do, too.

e: :argh: this would be perfect for the afghan scraps: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/KSPATTmarymary.php

Xerol fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 3, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I really liked at least two of the sweaters (Beatnick and Vines) although I've got a million sweaters queued up so it'll probably be forever before I even think about making one (long enough to forget they exist, most likely).

The thing that really jumped out at me though was this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/PATTrodekool.php

I might make it longer or something though...

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

FelicityGS posted:

There are braces you can use while knitting, but I'm not sure what to recommend since I don't use one. I know a few online yarn stores sell them.

My favourite nonspit-splice join is the Russian join (video here partways down the page). It's a bit more work, but it makes a beautiful and mostly invisible join, and it's what I'm using for my mother's superwash sweater.

That worked out much better, thanks :)

As for this knitty, I think the Riff socks look cute. Then I saw the last picture and the nice crop of leg hairs, ew.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I love knitty, but I've always thought that the patterns were beyond me. Now that I've been practicing I've been looking for a good glove pattern, and I wanna try that new Ringwood Gloves pattern.

But I have a question, what exactly is DK weight yarn? Is it a little lighter than worsted, like sport? The only kind of yarn I have laying around the house is a ton of I Love This Yarn cause I work at Hobby Lobby, and that stuff is definitely worsted, I think I'm gonna make a couple gauge swatches and see if I can make it work with what I've got, cause I'm sick and don't wanna leave the house.

Edit: New question, I'm making my gauge swatch using the ringwood stitch listed on the page, now the way its going doesn't seem right, does it go, Rnd 1-3, then repeat, or do you do Rnd 1-3, then repeat rounds 2-3 to continue pattern? It doesn't specify but doing it the first way sure doesn't make it look like it does in the picture.

Double Edit: Hurr, I'm an idiot, the pattern is supposed to be worked in the round so there won't be a right side and a wrong side.

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 3, 2010

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I've spent more time in the past month buying yarn than knitting. My stash just keeps on increasing.

CureMinorWounds posted:

But I have a question, what exactly is DK weight yarn? Is it a little lighter than worsted, like sport?

DK is in between worsted and sport.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Sodium Chloride posted:

I've spent more time in the past month buying yarn than knitting. My stash just keeps on increasing.

DK is in between worsted and sport.

Humph. I found a nice merino/acrylic blend in my stash that I got the right gauge on, so I'm using that, it said it was medium weight though. Meh.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
One of the things I've taken away from knitting is that the stated gauge on a ball band is a guideline, not an absolute. It's just the company's opinion of how to achieve a nice feel to the fabric. If you get a different gauge with said yarn and are happy with the fabric, go for it!

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Hey everyone. I would really like to make myself a beautiful scarf. I have this yarn, http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/blue-sky-alpacas-brushed-suri
but I'm wondering how masochistic do I have to be to use it? It looks like it would be hard to deal with.

I can knit and I can sometimes purl so I was thinking garter or stockinette stitch.
What do you think?
Thanks for the help.

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 8, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Hey everyone. I would really like to make myself a beautiful scarf. I have this yarn, http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/blue-sky-alpacas-brushed-suri
but I'm wondering how masochistic do I have to be to use it?

I can knit and I can sometimes purl so I was thinking garter or stockinette stitch.
What do you think?
Thanks for the help.

I'd say go for it. I've felt it before, and it's very soft and lovely. I've used stuff of similar fuzziness on huge needles to make someone an afghan, and it isn't too bad to do.

If you want it to be somewhat 'lacy', use bigger needles. If you don't want it to curl, make sure the two stitches on each edge are in garter stitch, and do the center in stockinette. Personally, because it won't be too visible anyway, I'd just go for a plain garter stitch scarf.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

FelicityGS posted:

I'd say go for it. I've felt it before, and it's very soft and lovely. I've used stuff of similar fuzziness on huge needles to make someone an afghan, and it isn't too bad to do.

If you want it to be somewhat 'lacy', use bigger needles. If you don't want it to curl, make sure the two stitches on each edge are in garter stitch, and do the center in stockinette. Personally, because it won't be too visible anyway, I'd just go for a plain garter stitch scarf.

What size needle? Like 15?

E: Can you knit with 2 pieces of yarn at once? I mean I assume it would be the same in theory.

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 9, 2010

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dancingthroughlife posted:

What size needle? Like 15?

E: Can you knit with 2 pieces of yarn at once? I mean I assume it would be the same in theory.

The Ravelry listing for it calls for needles sizes US 4 through US 11. 4 is going to give you a densely knit fabric, 11 will give you nice open lace patterns after you stretch it all out with blocking. You can use any size you want, but with 15s you'll probably get fuzzy but no warmth at all because it will basically just be all holes. Whatever size you decide to use, do a bit of a test swatch to make sure you're getting the desired effect.

You can knit with as many strands of yarn as you want, it just gets trickier when you get several strands because you have to make sure you're getting your needle under and around all the strands to make a stitch.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Thank you so much! :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I'm about 3 1/2 rows into my Humphrey.

It's taken almost 3 hours :gonk:

And yes I am using washers as stitch markers, sue me.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
^^ I feel your pain. I'm working on the Ocean Tide Shawl and I'm on the last chart. It's taking me an hour per row now. :gonk:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well that was 6 hours ago and I'm now starting the 16th row.

Or, in another sense of time, six episodes of The West Wing and two of Fringe. But I'm actually up to the main pattern part now so it's starting to look like something.

And now is a really bad time to decide I don't like the yarn I bought.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Roflex posted:

And now is a really bad time to decide I don't like the yarn I bought.
Actually, now's the best time. You're not like 3 weeks into it, there's time to change!
Looks like Fisherman's Wool...is it? I actually like working with it and have an oversize cardigan that I love made from it, but I'd be unhappy in a vest of it because it can get very scratchy to me.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Fionnoula posted:

Actually, now's the best time. You're not like 3 weeks into it, there's time to change!
Looks like Fisherman's Wool...is it? I actually like working with it and have an oversize cardigan that I love made from it, but I'd be unhappy in a vest of it because it can get very scratchy to me.

Yeah it is. Michael's had a sale on it ($6.99 instead of $9.99) and it's something I've wanted to try out for a while, so it seemed like a good idea. It's growing on me, though. Not sure how it will look with my mostly light-colored wardrobe though.

In other news, inappropriate uses for a mixer, #35:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Haha, I think that's a great use for the mixer. :) I do stuff like that with my desk for stuff all the time when doing colourwork (I cannot tension with my left hand :( )

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I have never done fair-isle.

I have never worked in the round with a circular needle.

This is my next project:

I felt in need of a challenge. Got to sneak back to John Lewis when my mother isn't hovering with me so I can spend my student loan on 11 balls Rowan Felted Tweed (£5.75 each, eek!).

Am I crazy? I finished the knitting on my last project, a jumper I designed myself, but I haven't got round to sewing it together. I think I just want something to do that doesn't need shaping or sewing and is still interesting.

Edit: my next project is the scarf, NOT the dress. I am not that crazy.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

CureMinorWounds posted:

I love knitty, but I've always thought that the patterns were beyond me. Now that I've been practicing I've been looking for a good glove pattern, and I wanna try that new Ringwood Gloves pattern.

But I have a question, what exactly is DK weight yarn? Is it a little lighter than worsted, like sport? The only kind of yarn I have laying around the house is a ton of I Love This Yarn cause I work at Hobby Lobby, and that stuff is definitely worsted, I think I'm gonna make a couple gauge swatches and see if I can make it work with what I've got, cause I'm sick and don't wanna leave the house.

Edit: New question, I'm making my gauge swatch using the ringwood stitch listed on the page, now the way its going doesn't seem right, does it go, Rnd 1-3, then repeat, or do you do Rnd 1-3, then repeat rounds 2-3 to continue pattern? It doesn't specify but doing it the first way sure doesn't make it look like it does in the picture.

Double Edit: Hurr, I'm an idiot, the pattern is supposed to be worked in the round so there won't be a right side and a wrong side.

Quoting myself here, but I started working on those gloves, and the pattern is so stretchy that they don't even come close to fitting! They're even huge on my boyfriend, and he has big hands. I'm going to try again but use worsted weight yarn and see if that will make up for the stretchyness.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

madlilnerd posted:

Oh my god that is gorgeous!!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
The whole issue has some really gorgeous patterns in it, including a lot of chunky cables. Sometime in the future I'm going to knit this. It just looks so snuggly! I'm not tempting fate by making it for my boyfriend though, there's already one curse sweater between us.

You can see all the designs and drool at them here.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I have never done fair-isle.

I have never worked in the round with a circular needle.

This is my next project:

I felt in need of a challenge. Got to sneak back to John Lewis when my mother isn't hovering with me so I can spend my student loan on 11 balls Rowan Felted Tweed (£5.75 each, eek!).

Am I crazy? I finished the knitting on my last project, a jumper I designed myself, but I haven't got round to sewing it together. I think I just want something to do that doesn't need shaping or sewing and is still interesting.

Edit: my next project is the scarf, NOT the dress. I am not that crazy.

Go for it! Fair isle is not as hard as you might think, and circular knitting is much easier than flat knitting, at least in my opinion. I just finished a similarly challenging fair isle project and it was my first time too, and it came out OK.

Also fair isle is enormous amounts of fun to knit. It's not knit-while-watching TV knitting, but is really satisfying. The only downside is working in all those ends, which is admittedly an enormous pain in the butt.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Got a skein of this in #5. Its darker and there's more black in person. Suggestions?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fooley posted:

Got a skein of this in #5. Its darker and there's more black in person. Suggestions?

I'll tell you what NOT to do! Don't make it part of felted bag and find out that all of the awesome colors fade away and turn into a dull grey when felted.

Oh God my money :(

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Fooley posted:

Not a sweater. My friend made her FLS out of the same color and found out the hard way that it's a lot itchier than it feels in the skein :(

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fooley posted:

Something you could do: cozy thick fingerless mitts. I love thick yarn in mitts. And maybe a hat to match. Hats are pretty fun too.

I had to go look at that yardage again, jeez, that's a lot for one skein (of not fingering)!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finally got round to blocking my shawl. It was my first time blocking something and the change was amazing. The top isn't completely straight but I'm fine with that.

Fooley posted:

A scarf and a hat.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Alright, so I've finished all the pieces for my grandmother's cardigan out of horrible acrylic. Now for the blocking.

Everyone please wish me luck, as this is my first attempt at blocking acrylic. Luckily, I have a steam cleaner thingie for my bathroom and it has a diffuser for doing upholstery, so I used that instead of my horribly leaky iron for the steam. Now I figure I'll wait a couple hours before I unpin it and hope I did it right, otherwise she's just getting the lumpy acrylic sweater she expects.

I should have just done it out of superwash so I could wetblock the damned thing. I love wetblocking.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Around 5 inches right now, at the pace I'm going I'll get up to the armholes by the end of next weekend.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That is a really attractive rib pattern. I didn't see it really well on the Knitty site, and thought it was just miles of 1x1 rib. That makes it so much better that it isn't.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

That is a really attractive rib pattern. I didn't see it really well on the Knitty site, and thought it was just miles of 1x1 rib. That makes it so much better that it isn't.

Well it almost is. The straight knit rows keep it from contracting like regular ribbing would.

quote:

Broken Rib (in the round)
Round 1: [K1, p1] to end.
Round 2: Knit.

Also it's 92 degrees in here and I'm working on a wool vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Roflex posted:

Also it's 92 degrees in here and I'm working on a wool vest.

I am so sorry :( It's gotten into perfect 60-70 fall weather here, so wool is bearable again.