Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

what does infantry do all day?

As a civilian I have always wondered what the hell they do.

Like LonsomeSon said, the usual battle drills, death by power point training, and PT once or twice a day.

Sometimes you get a zonk day if your top is the poo poo or you end up shamming it till dismissal around noon/lunch; other days, you can expect to perform high speed hooah tasks eg: painting rocks, cutting grass, police calls, sweeping that same drat spot for the dozenth time that day.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Does anybody have any experience in 3D1X2 - Cyber Transport?

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Boo This Man posted:

Think Johnny Mnemonic.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Cheezymadman posted:

Think Johnny Mnemonic.

Sounds great. It's something that caught my interest when they were giving out some jobs that were possibly open.

Air National Guard question. If I received an Entry Level Seperation in 2003, will I be authorized to wear ABUs? Or will I wear the lame DEP shirt?

Boo This Man fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 7, 2010

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Oh god, please don't walk into the recruiter's office and tell them you want 3D1X2 so you can carry data in your head. It was a joke, I'm a civilian, I have no idea what it is.

Though judging by what I just read via a google search, it just sounds like your basic IT job.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Cheezymadman posted:

Oh god, please don't walk into the recruiter's office and tell them you want 3D1X2 so you can carry data in your head. It was a joke, I'm a civilian, I have no idea what it is.

Though judging by what I just read via a google search, it just sounds like your basic IT job.

Haha i knew that was a joke. I researched the job and it seems like the basic IT job. I'm just wondering if anybody here has held this job.

Boo This Man fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 7, 2010

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
IT in the military will be like 50% reimaging hard drives, telling people that you can't unlock their locked account for them and some weird IMO division will have to do it, aaaand probably dealing with peoples INTERNETS DONT WORK, especially in the Bs after hours, but thats just from what I've seen

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

IT in the military will be like 50% reimaging hard drives, telling people that you can't unlock their locked account for them and some weird IMO division will have to do it, aaaand probably dealing with peoples INTERNETS DONT WORK, especially in the Bs after hours, but thats just from what I've seen

In the Navy, it's more like making an announcement to the whole ship that they going under a bridge and will loose internet satellite connectivity for a few minutes, and then having every motherfucker on the ship calling and banging the door down because it's been 2 minutes since they could send a e-mail and check their facebook.

Yeah, he's been woken up in the middle of the night AT HOME because the duty can't fix something. Something that can wait until morning, but OH NO THE INTERWEBZ IS DOWN?! How can I browse craigslist for my hookup this weekend and check my facebook?!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Boo This Man posted:

Transport is long-haul links between networks- routers, switches, SATCOM, etc. I've worked with the Navy equivalent, but not Army, though. I'd imagine army transport is a lot more complicated, given how mobile the army is and how challenging that would be to transport.

And of course resetting passwords for dipshits who keep forgetting, because every IT is a helpdesk IT regardless of specialty!

grover fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 8, 2010

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
What's Guam like? Might have a chance of going there in the spring.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Quarterly Prophet posted:

What's Guam like? Might have a chance of going there in the spring.
It's a lot like Hawaii, but smaller and with even more Japanese tourists. And 12 hours further away. If you envision Guam as a shrunken-down Oahu, you'll not be far off when you get there.

The SCUBA off Guam is awesome, btw.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Can my DD214 be changed if it hasn't been mailed anywhere yet?

Command knew I was getting my DD214 today at 9. At a goodbye lunch the OIC gave me a NAM.

:ughh:

I mean, I don't care about filling out the forms to correct it now, but just wondering if I can still change it without doing all that.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sarah posted:

Can my DD214 be changed if it hasn't been mailed anywhere yet?

Command knew I was getting my DD214 today at 9. At a goodbye lunch the OIC gave me a NAM.

:ughh:

I mean, I don't care about filling out the forms to correct it now, but just wondering if I can still change it without doing all that.

In theory shouldn't the medal be updated automatically? I mean retiring/separating AF dudes often get a medal, that goes in their records even though they are for all practical purposes done. Not that it 'really matters' but one would think it would be updated through the system just like a medal for a retiring guy or what have you...

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Slippery posted:

In theory shouldn't the medal be updated automatically? I mean retiring/separating AF dudes often get a medal, that goes in their records even though they are for all practical purposes done. Not that it 'really matters' but one would think it would be updated through the system just like a medal for a retiring guy or what have you...

No. I was stationed at a USMC command and my service record was handled by a USN facility on a different base. The award was signed yesterday by my USMC Commanding Officer. The DD214 is signed and in my folder. I had no idea I was getting it because I'm the one who writes everything up, and I had started writing it for myself but got short timers and said gently caress it. The USMC command doesn't forward anything to them. So the dentist I gave my summary of action to proof read decided to be sneaky and write up the citation and forward it to my OIC (dentist I was working for was not part of my command).

It's the weirdest duty station I've even been at because the CO is a Marine COL, but we have a USN CAPT Chaplain that has our "Navy CO Privileges" that receives our Navy messages (like advancement results, etc) who works on the other side of the base and in my two years there I only saw one time.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I have a car in another state. When I PCS, will the military be able to move that car for me to my new location? Or would it be better for me to move the car myself through a private company? The car cannot be driven for various mechanical reasons. Anybody have experience with this? Particularly in the AF?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They will not go somewhere else to get your stuff. You're moving from Point A to Point B...anything that's at another letter of the alphabet is your responsibility.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Who cares if it is on the 214. The citation is proof enough.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

You say this, but for everyone's info I would say to keep the actual order that gives you the medal (if you get it, I certainly don't have one for each of mine!) If you are AF at least, and you find out your records are wrong before the board (i.e. missing a medal) it can be very hard to get your records updated without the actual special order, most places won't accept 'just' the citation even though it is signed.

Another lesson in 'always keep copies of everything' -- perhaps one of the more useful 'hints for new people' I think you can get :)

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Doesn't HRC track that poo poo anyway?

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
For the Army, what's the functional difference between 13F and 13B? I can't seem to find anything online that explains either MOS in plain english, and everything I can find makes them sound so similar as to be worthless for research.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Doesn't HRC track that poo poo anyway?

For us, sure the AFPC folks track it, but I have seen one or two instances where a guy had a medal that was not in his records for whatever reason. We have a thing called PRDA which is actually mostly right in my experience (it has all your medals, EPRs, all sorts of random paperwork, I found poo poo I'd signed when I started at school) but every now and again there is a guy who got a medal that isn't in the record. Rare, but not unheard of. The cases I have seen were able to be corrected but it always helps to have the signed special order if you can get it.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

For the Army, what's the functional difference between 13F and 13B? I can't seem to find anything online that explains either MOS in plain english, and everything I can find makes them sound so similar as to be worthless for research.
13B primary job is to work the actual artillery pieces. Like move it into position, load it up with ammo, and fire.

13F is no where near the guns typically. They are usually somewhere with decent observation. They call in the artillery rounds onto an enemy they are observing. They also frequently talk to various aircraft. If you do not have good social skills, 13F is not for you. Also if your name is VIK you will sit around in an office all day. That is a possibility with Bs too though.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Slippery posted:

For us, sure the AFPC folks track it, but I have seen one or two instances where a guy had a medal that was not in his records for whatever reason. We have a thing called PRDA which is actually mostly right in my experience (it has all your medals, EPRs, all sorts of random paperwork, I found poo poo I'd signed when I started at school) but every now and again there is a guy who got a medal that isn't in the record. Rare, but not unheard of. The cases I have seen were able to be corrected but it always helps to have the signed special order if you can get it.

Quick question, are you typically the type of guy who goes right to the source of a problem because you don't seem like it right now.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Quick question, are you typically the type of guy who goes right to the source of a problem because you don't seem like it right now.

All silly comments aside I'm really not sure what you mean (seriously.) Like are you talking about a missing medal? I've worked a few, it's not like I just ignore them or whatever. :)

I guess I try to work at different levels, if that's your question, like if some dude is getting screwed on finance stuff I might call a bro over in that unit, if they can't help me I work with the Shirt or Ops-O, and if not that usually Commander-Commander works well, if it's worth their time, etc. But what do you actually mean?

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

13B primary job is to work the actual artillery pieces. Like move it into position, load it up with ammo, and fire.

13F is no where near the guns typically. They are usually somewhere with decent observation. They call in the artillery rounds onto an enemy they are observing. They also frequently talk to various aircraft. If you do not have good social skills, 13F is not for you. Also if your name is VIK you will sit around in an office all day. That is a possibility with Bs too though.

So do 13Fs get embedded in with infantry units, or are they off on their own somewhere spotting for the guns?

VIK = Vacation In Kabul, right? I thought I remembered him saying something about 13Fs getting office jobs. How does that happen?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get promoted.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

So do 13Fs get embedded in with infantry units, or are they off on their own somewhere spotting for the guns?

VIK = Vacation In Kabul, right? I thought I remembered him saying something about 13Fs getting office jobs. How does that happen?

Infantry and armor platoons/companies (the main maneuver companies in the army) both have slots for 13Fs that are typically a priority fill.

However there are also slots for 13Fs at higher echelons too. Just like there are slots for lower enlisted 11Bs at all echelons. Sometimes you end up doing office work like VIK.

There are these COLT teams which are 13Fs and they are in theory supposed to be off on their own but that is not typically the case in practice anymore.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know what regulation DD Form 2220 (Base windshield decals) is covered under?

Edit: Found it. It says the decal must be affixed, ( does not say applied), to the front window. So I guess I'll have this reg with me next UTA when they piss and moan about it being taped to my front windshield instead of applied.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 12, 2010

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

It's quite the shady looking award. It's signed, but they didn't waste any of the good paper on me. It looks copied and pasted. If in the future I decided to join a different branch or go into an officer program someones going to take one look at it and call it fake (there's obvious lines on the paper they printed it on).

I don't really care if the award doesn't look awesome and spectacular, I mean a NAM is a NAM, but it's not in my service record and not on my DD214, so I guess hopefully I don't lose it....

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sarah posted:

If in the future I decided to join a different branch or go into an officer program

So you haven't learned your lesson then?

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Does the Army offer any possible advances on first-month pay for new enlistees? I'm unemployed living with my mom, and even if I enlisted tomorrow I can't afford to continue paying my share of bills leading up to shipping off to basic. I've been paying out of savings for the last couple of months while I job-hunted, but my bank account and the local job market are bone-dry at this point.

The math works out that if I could even get half of my first month, I could survive two months until shipping out, which seems to be the average between signing and going (from my research, anyway). That'd give me enough time to get into decent enough shape to survive basic, too.

EDIT: What about an enlistment bonus? I found a list of "high-demand MOSes" and 13F/B is there. How do I qualify, and what's the average bonus?

EDIT2: So now I'm reading that enlistment bonuses aren't paid out until after you finish basic. T/F?

Cheezymadman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 12, 2010

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cheezymadman posted:

Does the Army offer any possible advances on first-month pay for new enlistees? I'm unemployed living with my mom, and even if I enlisted tomorrow I can't afford to continue paying my share of bills leading up to shipping off to basic. I've been paying out of savings for the last couple of months while I job-hunted, but my bank account and the local job market are bone-dry at this point.

Can't speak for the Army but the Air Force's payment advance system requires a commander signature (group level I think, so an O-6) meaning there is absolutely no way you will be able to get it. Perhaps the Army is more lenient however.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Rrail posted:

So you haven't learned your lesson then?

Well one day in the future after hygiene school I decide to go to dental school why not have someone pay for it?

Besides, being in dental is not like being in the real military. Especially being a Dental Officer. In the Navy they don't even go through OCS.

Plus, it's kind of a fantasy to come back in as an O-3 and make a hand full of E-6's that made my life hell poo poo their pants.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sarah posted:

Plus, it's kind of a fantasy to come back in as an O-3 and make a hand full of E-6's that made my life hell poo poo their pants.

They will be long gone.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

advanced pay

You pretty much aren't getting jack-poo poo as far as pay goes until you hit your reception Btn. and process through finance; and you're correct about not getting the bonus till you hit your first duty station.

Don't quote me on this, but I've been told that the guard pays for RSP and similar drills.

Honestly, it sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place right now, and you're looking for an easy way out - you seriously don't want to hop into the military until you've exhausted all other options or have become some high speed low drag mofo with a hard-on for serving your country; this isn't the easy way out.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

McSpatula posted:

Honestly, it sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place right now, and you're looking for an easy way out - you seriously don't want to hop into the military until you've exhausted all other options or have become some high speed low drag mofo with a hard-on for serving your country; this isn't the easy way out.

It's really the other way around, but I can see how it might seem like that. Right now, I've almost decided to go, I'm just figuring out how to get to that point.

I have two choices currently:

A) Enlist now, scrape by for a bit, and maybe die in basic from fatbody syndrome.
B) Wait to enlist, get into some semblence of shape, get a job to support my rear end, and survive basic without having a coronary.

I'd prefer B, but money may force A.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cheezymadman posted:

A) Enlist now, scrape by for a bit, and maybe die in basic from fatbody syndrome.
B) Wait to enlist, get into some semblence of shape, get a job to support my rear end, and survive basic without having a coronary.

When I joined the Air Force, I could do 2 pushups, maybe 20 or 30 situps, 0 pullups and my 1.5 mile time was trash, and there were people that were worse off than I was. I graduated just fine, and so did they. Unless you are a loving disaster you will be alright.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The process of actually enlisting is going to be longer than you seem to think (depending on branch, job). So you've got time to go running or whatever; even if it's only a week or two, there's time to improve your physical performance.

I highly recommend this, especially if you're joining something other than the Air Force (don't do that, join the Air Force). If you're unemployed anyway, you've probably got the time, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sarah posted:

It's quite the shady looking award. It's signed, but they didn't waste any of the good paper on me. It looks copied and pasted. If in the future I decided to join a different branch or go into an officer program someones going to take one look at it and call it fake (there's obvious lines on the paper they printed it on).

I don't really care if the award doesn't look awesome and spectacular, I mean a NAM is a NAM, but it's not in my service record and not on my DD214, so I guess hopefully I don't lose it....

Just get it fixed. The worst that'll happen is it'll never make a difference and you wasted a little time. At best it'll help you sometime in the future, or maybe your grandkids get a kick out of it when they pull your records in 60 years for a school project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

The process of actually enlisting is going to be longer than you seem to think (depending on branch, job). So you've got time to go running or whatever; even if it's only a week or two, there's time to improve your physical performance.

I highly recommend this, especially if you're joining something other than the Air Force (don't do that, join the Air Force). If you're unemployed anyway, you've probably got the time, right?

If you're going Army or stupid enough to go into that office without a career in mind, there's a good chance you could ship off to Basic the same month you enter a recruiter's office.

Thus, do your loving homework, pick a job (in something other than the Army) that you think you'll enjoy rather than whatever bullshit the recruiter tries to feed you, and use the remaining time to get yourself into shape.

• Locked thread