Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linguica posted:

I can't get over just how ridiculous the New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners website is

I watched this for a minute or two waiting for twangy theme music to play and a battlecruiser to fly into the frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Defleshed posted:

They are apparently all space-lawyers practicing Space law
What's a good law school for space law?
I hear Valpo is good for space law, confirm/deny?

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Wavelet posted:

You're 2 for 4: I want to make NY level pay and have tons of prestige. In California. Doing litigation. Hopefully my question is not too broad to answer now?

SF or LA?

In general, a non-exhaustive list of firms meeting your criteria:

Munger
Keker
Susman
Irell
Gibson
Latham
O'Melveny
Quinn
MoFo

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

J Miracle posted:

I want to read the brief from the government that says that dude is a bailee or something. I wish the dude had smashed it just to see if there would be some kind of dumbass malicious destruction of government property case or something.

Oh wait though the dude would probably lose because he's brown and has a weird name.

I wonder if they could get an obstruction charge if he had attached it to a truck heading into Central America

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

BigHead posted:

Oh I got confused between preemption and, um, that other thing. Not release and res judicata, but the other one. You know. What your CivPro professor spent half a day trying to teach you.

So are you saying there is preclusion or just being an rear end?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Passed the PA bar exam~~

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

W00t!

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

Congratulations!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

Nice work man. Job?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

So are you saying there is preclusion or just being an rear end?

Yeah, preclusion. You need privity for preclusion. I wasn't being an rear end :smith:

Also hooray Linquica!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

Now you have to be a lawyer :(

Get drunk and enjoy!

Wavelet posted:

Anyone know anything about CA biglaw? The good firms? The bad firms? The TTTs?

http://www.callawyer.com/story.cfm?eid=911408&evid=1
A starting point. I can probably find something out about the NorCal firms. SoCal sucks, who cares?

nm fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2010

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~
Congrats!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
congrats man, no jobs, etc etc

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Passed!

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

:hfive:

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

nm posted:

What's a good law school for space law?
I hear Valpo is good for space law, confirm/deny?

GULC has a space law seminar.

edit http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculum/tab_courses.cfm?Status=Course&CourseNumber=406

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
So I'm stressing out over the LSAT being tomorrow and have done so many logic games I think I'm actually starting to get worse. How did you guys deal with the night before the LSAT to calm down?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Walamor posted:

So I'm stressing out over the LSAT being tomorrow and have done so many logic games I think I'm actually starting to get worse. How did you guys deal with the night before the LSAT to calm down?
I wasn't able to sleep the night before, so what I did didn't work. But you really should stop cramming. At this point all it's going to do is make you more worried than you already are.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
You assholes. I've wanted to be a lawyer my whole loving life. Ever since I was a little kid. Now here I am, night before the LSATS, having an existential crisis. I hate you all. Now I am unsure about going to law school, and don't know what the gently caress to do. I never thought of myself as not going to law school. I thought of Library Science, but I was going to go do both.

I don't know if the LSAT is giving me cold feet or if it is simply re-reading this stupid thread.

Zealous Abattoir fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 9, 2010

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I've got those pre-lsat jitters too. Went out and bought another LSAT pretest because I was stressing that I might not be able to get the analytical done on time, and ended up finishing that section in 30 mins with just 1 wrong.

However, it backfired a little bit, because I got 5 wrong in the first logic section, which is more than I've ever had, so I'm stressed out about that now. On the bright side, I finished that section in 15 minutes, so I'm guessing I'd have caught a few of those if I had taken more time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Walamor posted:

If you gently caress up, you won't get into law school and have a chance at being a happy person. So really, no pressure.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zealous Abattoir posted:

You assholes. I've wanted to be a lawyer my whole loving life. Ever since I was a little kid. Now here I am, night before the LSATS, having an existential crisis. I hate you all. Now I am unsure about going to law school, and don't know what the gently caress to do. I never thought of myself as not going to law school. I thought of Library Science, but I was going to go do both.

I don't know if the LSAT is giving me cold feet or if it is simply re-reading this stupid thread.
I've heard the market is pretty terrible for librarians right now too. Just take the test and sort out what you want to do with your life after. Not going to law school is probably a good idea, but that should be a decision you make because you've thought it through, not because you had a crisis the night before the LSAT.

I was actually kind of upset that I didn't get in to that seminar. /nerdchat

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 9, 2010

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 30, 2013

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Walamor posted:

I did this same thing the night before the December LSAT. I prepped and prepped. I'd been testing around 169-170. I GOT A 166.

I didn't look at another LSAT until I took one single practice a week before the February test and then scored a 173.

So I think it's totally possible to stress out too much and get worse. but ymmv

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anyone who doesn't go to law school is a human being sissy pussy freshman who deserves to choke on a weiner. Do it. Come on. Do it.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Walamor posted:

Watch Robocop

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Walamor posted:

Drink some good scotch while you can still afford it

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I want you to think about the LSAT. Think about how you're stressing, the consequences of what you're doing and how hard the test is.

That's the easiest test you'll take for the rest of your life if you go to law school.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

WCL/American has one too. I took it and dropped midway through. My friend took it and is now doing that kind of field work for the USAF.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

ewr2870 posted:

SF or LA?

Munger
Keker
Susman
Irell
Gibson
Latham
O'Melveny
Quinn
MoFo

OMM's CA litigators are loving terrible. Like, shockingly bad for the firm's general reputation.

Skadden has a solid litigation group in LA. In SF, there's also Howard Rice.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Mookie posted:

OMM's CA litigators are loving terrible. Like, shockingly bad for the firm's general reputation.

Skadden has a solid litigation group in LA. In SF, there's also Howard Rice.

OMM's white collar litigators in SF are well-regarded; I don't know much about their LA office or their other practice groups in SF. If we're adding Howard Rice in SF, I'd also add Farella Braun.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Walamor posted:

Chill out and remember that you can take it again consequences-free.

Wavelet
Jun 1, 2009

ewr2870 posted:

SF or LA?

Munger
Keker
Susman
Irell
Gibson
Latham
O'Melveny
Quinn
MoFo

Thank you, thank you.

How's Latham handling the post-fallout period? Are they losing midlevels? I can't imagine associate morale being too hot over there.

Any good satellite offices out West? Mookie mentioned Skadden LA & SF. How about Kirkland & Ellis (LA or SF)?

Any good SV firms/offices? Or are they categorically less prestigious than SF/LA offices?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

Wavelet posted:

Thank you, thank you.

How's Latham handling the post-fallout period? Are they losing midlevels? I can't imagine associate morale being too hot over there.

Any good satellite offices out West? Mookie mentioned Skadden LA & SF. How about Kirkland & Ellis (LA or SF)?

Any good SV firms/offices? Or are they categorically less prestigious than SF/LA offices?

I only mentioned Skadden LA. I'm not familiar with their capabilities in SF.

Kirkland used to be highly regarded; I know that their California offices have had a lot of trouble in the last few years internally. I don't think that's translated into an external reputation/quality hit yet.

Latham did fine. Everyone got rattled because of the layoffs, but after a while, you realize you're still there for a reason, and that all large law firms would shiv their associates if needed/given the chance. Plus, where are the midlevels realistically going to go? The lateral market has loosened up quite a bit in the last six months, but mostly for firms looking to pick up talent on the cheap. If you survived the layoffs, why take a step or two further down in salary and reputation?

Also, of the Big Three in LA, I've always placed their litigation department a step below Gibson, for what it is worth.

Regarding Silicon Valley, you'll get a different answer for hard-core IP litigation vs. generic litigation. Which do you care about?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Do well on the LSAT and go to a school that will let you in for free. If you really have always wanted to be a lawyer your whole life then that's what I would recommend.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

CaptainScraps posted:

I want you to think about the LSAT. Think about how you're stressing, the consequences of what you're doing and how hard the test is.

That's the easiest test you'll take for the rest of your life if you go to law school.

This.

Good luck to the people taking it, but just keep this post in mind, as understated as it is, while you're waiting for your results. And when you're thinking about which applications to send. And when you're waiting for the results of those applications. And waiting for school to start. That's a lot of waiting, a lot of time to think, and a lot of time to be really sure about what you're getting into and exactly why you want to do it.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Wavelet posted:

Thank you, thank you.

Kirkland is p good in SF, don't know about LA. And IMO there's absolutely nothing less prestigious about making the same money in SV. Like if you're at Wilson Sonsini in Palo Alto, then good on you. Care more about the city, less about the firm.

Mookie does have a point about if you want to do IP vs. other lit, but I don't really think that's about prestige.

Best of luck on the LSAT today noobs! Not too late to cancel!

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Kirkland is p good in SF, don't know about LA. And IMO there's absolutely nothing less prestigious about making the same money in SV. Like if you're at Wilson Sonsini in Palo Alto, then good on you. Care more about the city, less about the firm.

Mookie does have a point about if you want to do IP vs. other lit, but I don't really think that's about prestige.

I know that Kirkland LA has been hurting recently and that my friends there are all looking to get out or to transfer to another Kirkland office, so I think it might be local to there.

For the SF vs. SV thing, I agree that the "prestige" portion will be the same to a law student's eyes. However, it won't be after he's been there a few years. In SV, the general litigators are very frequently second class citizens to the IP litigators, given the nature of the business there - the IP guys are the ones who are likely to have the primary client relationships, etc. Add to that the lack of decent local litigation work if the firm also has a SF office (where the securities and white collar litigation practices will be concentrated) and there are definitely fewer avenues for advancement as a non-IP litigator in an SV office. Other firms, and others within the firm, know this, which radically changes the "prestige" calculation once you shed the law student perspective.

That said, there are some real powerhouses in SV. Wilson Sonsini was already mentioned. Simpson Thacher has a great litigation group there as well. Fish & Richardson is always well-regarded too, although I'm not sure how well they've been doing in this last recession.

Plus, if you ever want to be a real scumbag, you can try going to work for Joe Cotchett.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Hey NM, you may have a job, but we have your axe

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Wavelet posted:

I know several people who were at Latham this summer (at a couple of different CA offices) and didn't get the sense from them that morale was noticeably worse than at other firms.

EDIT: (Of course, everyone lies to summers, blah, blah, blah...).

ewr2870 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Linguica posted:

Passed the PA bar exam~~

:toot: