Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

doctorfrog is right. Axemaniac, I will pay you two American dollars to not buy MoO3. I will do this for your protection. I will do this to hurt the sales of this horrible game.

Edit: If anyone can come up with a way for me to verify that someone has not bought MoO3, then I will send ten other people $2 each for not buying this game. I can't really afford this, but I will sacrifice my rent money to make this happen.

I came ]--[ (this close) to buying MoO 3, but a little voice inside me (probably yours) made me only get 1 & 2. I thank you for that, crazy brain-poltergeist goon friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

The Gasmask posted:

I came ]--[ (this close) to buying MoO 3, but a little voice inside me (probably yours) made me only get 1 & 2. I thank you for that, crazy brain-poltergeist goon friend!

IM me an address in the U.S., and I will mail $2 to that address.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember reading a review of MoO3 where they described one of the stats you have to track on a planet, and honestly I think some of my college math homework sound simpler.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
To accurately reproduce the experience of playing Master of Orion III, go and spend a minute or two slamming a toilet lid down on your dick instead. This way, you get the "holy poo poo, this is loving awful" epiphany considerably sooner and it doesn't cost you any money! Win-win!

(I bought it on launch day at full price. :negative:)

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Excuse me, but this is MY job in the Games forum.

Oh yeah are you the guy who posted all that planescape artwork in lf? Got a link?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

SpRahl posted:

So maybe it was said here but whats so bad about MoO3?

It'd be a lot quicker to say what isn't wrong with it.

Which is.... ermm... well... the manual was actually pretty neat back in the day... unless I'm thinking about MoO2's manual...

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

AG3 posted:

Which is.... ermm... well... the manual was actually pretty neat back in the day... unless I'm thinking about MoO2's manual...

It's true. MoO3 had a acceptable manual. It had a lot of pages, and it contained an interesting backstory. Unfortunately, it tried to explain how to play MoO3.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

AG3 posted:

The manual was kind of fun to read. I think I had more fun reading the manual, and possibly spent more time doing so, than I did playing the game.

I wish I was joking. :sigh:

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Here it is! http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.644

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I actually found one of the discs for MoO3 the other day while cleaning. I'm not sure where the other 2 are, and that's probably for the best.

Just found the manual on top of a shelf too. Alas, it was as I remembered; the "good things" I remembered were in the MoO2 manual, not MoO3. And still the manual is the best part of MoO3.

The paper isn't even glossy, so it's a bit hard to read.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are some goods mods or general tips for Outcast and Blood? Tried googling mods for Outcast, but kept getting ones for the Jedi Knight sequel.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Not sure about Outcast, but our very own Tecman released a huge launcher for Blood a while back that contains a ton of content.

http://blood.nanoaugur.net/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Anyone else have trouble getting a joystick to work in Independence War 1?

IW2 works just fine, but I'm balking slightly at having to play a vengeful tween.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AG3 posted:

I only watched a friend play it briefly.

It had cool looking puppets.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

IW2 works just fine, but I'm balking slightly at having to play a vengeful tween.

Don't worry - that's just for the prologue chapter. The game is going to get a lot more badass very soon.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Considering Iwar 2 but I hear it's pretty hard, plus I don't have a joystick. I have a 360 pad though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Considering Iwar 2 but I hear it's pretty hard, plus I don't have a joystick. I have a 360 pad though.

I actually think it's better with the 360 pad than a joystick - with joystick, you don't get vertical and lateral thrust. I've got a control profile here.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Is Outcast fairly enjoyable nowadays?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

To fix cursor flicker/trail issues in Planescape check this out: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/43616-how-to-deal-with-the-ddraw-problems-of-pst-and-other-ie-games/

Worked for me so far, and I'm running the game in a window via VMWare on my Mac. :razz:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Machine posted:

Is Outcast fairly enjoyable nowadays?

The graphics are pretty, but it has a bad case of fed-ex quests, and repetition.

Still worth playing for <$10, though, even if it's just to see how cool voxels were

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've been informed that the latest Nvidia drivers fixed the incompatibility issues they had with I-War 2, which previously required workarounds to play.

So, now everyone can enjoy the game. And should, because holy poo poo it's better than Freespace 2 I am not even exaggerating. Best-feeling space combat I've ever played, and the game was future-proofed amazingly well. Aside from dated ship textures, it really hasn't aged badly at all. Even does aspect-correct widescreen.

I'll do a visual controller-map for my 360 pad profile sometime. Also, if anyone figures out how to do analogue on the main thrusters (although it's not really that big an issue) via the triggers, tell me.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 9, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does that mean you can run I-War 2 with shaders set to full now?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Does that mean you can run I-War 2 with shaders set to full now?

I just did, so I assume so.

Only played a couple missions so far but what I played seems pretty neat. The physics take some getting used to.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
How do I get blood 1 to work? Also the launcher that's in the 2.5D megathread is a headache to figure out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Make sure to try I-War 1, the nice thing about space shooters is that they age really well (since all you need is some nice backgrounds, and some models). I loved the feeling of piloting with a crew better than I-War2's lone wolf kinda thing, though the piracy free-roam aspect was awesome.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I-War 1 I could never get into. Just the wrong side of sim-like, and the UI was seriously awkward. I-War 2 is a game that you can play entirely with a gamepad, yet still feels like you're hurling a heavily armed corvette-class ship through space. It's accessible and streamlined in the best possible sense.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eh, I actually found the whatever the game considered default for the 360 pad fine. just needed to remember the shortcut for gunnery control, and I was good to go.

i kinda found it hilarious that IW1 had better gamepad support "out of the box" than loving Psychonauts

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dominic White posted:

So, now everyone can enjoy the game. And should, because holy poo poo it's better than Freespace 2 I am not even exaggerating. Best-feeling space combat I've ever played, and the game was future-proofed amazingly well. Aside from dated ship textures, it really hasn't aged badly at all. Even does aspect-correct widescreen.

Buying it now. Holding you responsible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah IW2 kicks a lot of rear end (specifically your rear end, it is hard as poo poo)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Everyone should buy Blood, probably the finest first person shooter ever made.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, the #1 piece of advice I can give with I-War 2 is use lateral/vertical thrusters. It throws off enemy targeting. Enemies usually fly with just throttle, and always with flight assistance (which limits your maximum velocity). As you're almost always outnumbered and outgunned, you need to leverage the few advantages you can get.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Everyone should buy Blood, probably the finest first person shooter ever made.

Yep, Blood owns as well. It's basically Duke 3D, but better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, the #1 piece of advice I can give with I-War 2 is use lateral/vertical thrusters. It throws off enemy targeting. Enemies usually fly with just throttle, and always with flight assistance (which limits your maximum velocity). As you're almost always outnumbered and outgunned, you need to leverage the few advantages you can get.

Yep, Blood owns as well. It's basically Duke 3D, but better.

Thats not possible, in fact, Caleb is just Duke Nukem disguised to show he can be even better if he feels to.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

And as Duke 3D is basically Doom but better, this makes Blood the best. I didn't think so at first but after finishing the game it's gonna be disappointing playing any other first person shooters.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Is Blood really hard or am I just really terrible? Enemies manage to snipe me with shotguns from miles away, taking off half my health and there's hardly any health pick-ups. I have to keep reloading constantly to get past areas with like 12 HP.

Also, which rear end in a top hat thought the loving rats were a good idea? It actually took me a while to realise why sometimes I'd randomly lose health, before I realised I had to somehow pick these off these tiny things on the floor. Flare ammo also seems to be rather rare. Infact ammo in general, I have to spend a lot of time with the pitchfork.

I like the level design in this game but it's hard. Compared to Duke 3D anyway.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 9, 2010

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The rats arent in it much. Blood is also a hard game, I played through on lightly broiled and it was still difficult. It's also worth noting that X is altfire, and with the sawnoff shotgun the altfire will instantly kill the zombie guys. The game gets more generous with ammo later on, the first couple of levels are pretty mean.

edit: Also something I didnt realise when I started playing was that 1 flare will kill a cultist or zombie, it just takes a second or two for them to start burning.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 9, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

No denying that Blood is pretty brutally hard, though. The cultists have hitscan weapons, and catlike reflexes. It basically forces you to very carefully check each corner, and use cover whenever possible. It's kinda like the opposite of Doom (or its cousins, Heretic, Hexen and Strife), which reward super-fast movement out in the open.

It's why I couldn't rank the games on a sliding scale - there's a kinda yin/yang thing going on with the two big 2.5d 'clans'.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

FirstPersonShitter posted:

edit: Also something I didnt realise when I started playing was that 1 flare will kill a cultist or zombie, it just takes a second or two for them to start burning.

Yeah I noticed this when I was half way through the train level. Derp.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Dominic White posted:

No denying that Blood is pretty brutally hard, though. The cultists have hitscan weapons, and catlike reflexes. It basically forces you to very carefully check each corner, and use cover whenever possible. It's kinda like the opposite of Doom (or its cousins, Heretic, Hexen and Strife), which reward super-fast movement out in the open.

It's why I couldn't rank the games on a sliding scale - there's a kinda yin/yang thing going on with the two big 2.5d 'clans'.

I rate Blood higher for how great the explosions are. They really push stuff about and the enemies gib into like 20 pieces. That and the unconventional storyline.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I almost poo poo myself when I ran into the reaper thing on the 3rd level of the 2nd chapter- the hotel one.
"Oh hey heres the reaper looking-dude just shotgun hima bit an..."
"OH JESUS THAT SCREECHING NOISE IS HORRIBLE AND HE'S ALL OVER THE PLACE AND I CAN'T HIT HIM AHHHHHHHH"

Blood loving owns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
wow, this website is fantastic! i just spent the last hour having fun adding games to my wishlist...