Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cuatal posted:

Are there any PC games where you play as some sort of vicious animal (like a wolf or tiger) or a werewolf and kill everything ever?

I haven't played this but is a shark vicious enough for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cuatal posted:

Are there any PC games where you play as some sort of vicious animal (like a wolf or tiger) or a werewolf and kill everything ever?

You can play as a Warewolf in Morrowind if you have the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansion packs. You can go around wiping out entire towns in single nights, and you can even go on to kill literally everyone in the world if you like.

Just don't get caught by anybody during your transformation or people will know who you are during the day.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

NESguerilla posted:

i have been thinking about giving monster hunter for psp a shot. Which one should I get? Do I need the original before getting freedom unite? If so should i buy them both at the same time?
Unite is pretty much Monster Hunter Freedom 2 with an expansion pack added on. If you're buying Unite, there's pretty much no reason to get MHF2 unless you want to play with someone else who's got 2 but not Unite. And I wouldn't bother with MHF1, Unite is (in my opinion) much better.

Word of advice though. The game doesn't really start until the second rank of missions. The first rank is pretty weak overall, so don't get discouraged if it seems boring at that point. If you want more info, there's a huge thread here, with a really nice OP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alkanos posted:

Unite is pretty much Monster Hunter Freedom 2 with an expansion pack added on. If you're buying Unite, there's pretty much no reason to get MHF2 unless you want to play with someone else who's got 2 but not Unite. And I wouldn't bother with MHF1, Unite is (in my opinion) much better.

Word of advice though. The game doesn't really start until the second rank of missions. The first rank is pretty weak overall, so don't get discouraged if it seems boring at that point. If you want more info, there's a huge thread here, with a really nice OP.

Awesome thanks. All of the reviews call Freedom unite an expansion pack so I didn't know if it included MH2 with it. I'll just grab Freedom Unite then.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What are some more good simulation games that you play as a dynasty? Other then the Guild 1/2 and Rome Total War. I want a game where I start with some people, then 200 years later I'm the ruler of the world and the great great great great great grandson of my original dude.

Gameplay wise, something more like Rome Total War, Civilization and the guild rather then Starcraft or Age of Empires (Economy civilization builder vs. hope you can build a big enough ball of troops before your opponent does)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some more good simulation games that you play as a dynasty? Other then the Guild 1/2 and Rome Total War. I want a game where I start with some people, then 200 years later I'm the ruler of the world and the great great great great great grandson of my original dude.

Gameplay wise, something more like Rome Total War, Civilization and the guild rather then Starcraft or Age of Empires (Economy civilization builder vs. hope you can build a big enough ball of troops before your opponent does)

Go buy Civilization V. It sounds like it's everything you ever wanted (it is).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Try Crusader Kings. There's only 3 levels of power that a player can be, count, duke, King, but it's pretty fun to start as a lowly count, build up your dynasty, and through a couple hundred years build up a vast empire that spans europe. Until your heir becomes schizophrenic, gets excommunicated, the entire continent erupts in chaos, and your brother tries to kill you.

Boiled Water posted:

Go buy Civilization V. It sounds like it's everything you ever wanted (it is).

But it doesn't at all simulate being the ruler of a dynasty, so if that's what you're looking for then you wont get it in Civ.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

If you're a fan of old games, check out Sword of the Samurai. You start off as a samurai trying to gain your daimyo's attention, but you aspire for your family to rule all of feudal Japan some day. It's definitely a dynasty game because you're unlikely to capture the country in a single lifetime, but your sons will take up your sword when you die/retire/have to kill yourself out of shame.

It's old, though, and shows its age in gameplay and graphics. I doubt anyone these days can fall in love with it, but it's still appreciable for its originality for its time.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm looking for a space sim, like a single player EVE online. The one thing I loved about that game was warping across a solar system to a space station, watching as this gigantic planet grows on your screen, then you come across the tiny little dot floating above it. I want a game that really makes you feel like you're just an ant in a vast sea of nothing. I tried a couple of the main ones, X3 and FreeSpace 2 but they weren't what I was looking for. The only other game I can think of is Noctis IV which I can't get to work on windows 7 sadly. :(

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Law posted:

I'm looking for a space sim, like a single player EVE online. The one thing I loved about that game was warping across a solar system to a space station, watching as this gigantic planet grows on your screen, then you come across the tiny little dot floating above it. I want a game that really makes you feel like you're just an ant in a vast sea of nothing. I tried a couple of the main ones, X3 and FreeSpace 2 but they weren't what I was looking for. The only other game I can think of is Noctis IV which I can't get to work on windows 7 sadly. :(

Freelancer perhaps? It doesn't come near the scale of EVE, but it's pretty open (and there are mods to remove all the forced story missions) and centered on exploration. Graphics are pretty dated though, and it's similar to X3 except more arcade-y, so it depends on what you didn't like about X3.

Haven't gotten around to trying it myself, but there is also Ad Astra, which is a free and "open-ended space exploration game which has attempted to model a Galaxy of over 110,000 real stars based on the 1997 Hipparcos Star Catalogue."

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I wasn't totally sure where to ask this but this seemed like the best place . . . Anyway, are the Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 ports on Gamecube pretty good/faithful to the Dreamcast versions or are they buggy/excessively hosed with? I just noticed that SA1 is on PSN now so if they blow I might go that route instead.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I feel like playing a western RPG but I don't really like micromanaging every action that my party must make. I really enjoyed Knights of the old Republic I and II because they were simple enough and my party members could manage themselves with just a minimum of input.

Other western RPG I played and liked: Morrowind, Mass Effect I (too broke for II), Vampire Masquerade: Bloodline, Deus Ex.

I tried Fallout 2 but got lost near the begining (I should probably try again) and Dungeon Siege I (didn't really liked it for some reason).

My platform of choice is PC and I don't care if the game is old. So any suggestions?

New Wave Jose fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 28, 2010

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I've got to spend a week in rural Alabama pretty much by myself next week. I need a good, long Xbox game to occupy my time. I've already played (and REALLY enjoyed) Bioshock 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age Origins & Awakening, Fallout 3 (plus DLC) and Oblivion (plus DLC). Multiplayer is a non issue, since internet there is good enough to log onto Live and not much else. I was thinking Alan Wake, but I wasn't sure if it was long enough to kill the amaount of time I have to spend. I don't much care for JRPGs, since I've been playing them so long, the early grinding just kills me.

The game would be from within the last 12 months, since I've played pretty much all of the noteworthy titles from before that. If only this could wait a few weeks, then I could have the new Fallout. Maybe Red Dead Redemption? Just Cause 2?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Grimlook posted:

I feel like playing a western RPG but I don't really like micromanaging every action that my party must make. I really enjoyed Knights of the old Republic I and II because they were simple enough and my party members could manage themselves with just a minimum of input.

Other western RPG I played and liked: Morrowind, Mass Effect I (too broke for II), Vampire Masquerade: Bloodline, Deus Ex.

I tried Fallout 2 but got lost near the begining (I should probably try again) and Dungeon Siege I (didn't really liked it for some reason).

My platform of choice is PC and I don't care if the game is old. So any suggestions?
Have you played Risen or any of the Gothic games?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've been playing GOG's Arx Fatalis and it's pretty kickass. I also liked Outcast a lot. I'd like to get some more action rpgs from there, any suggestions? What about Enclave, is that any good?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Corridor posted:

I've been playing GOG's Arx Fatalis and it's pretty kickass. I also liked Outcast a lot. I'd like to get some more action rpgs from there, any suggestions? What about Enclave, is that any good?

The post above yours suggested the Gothic games, the first two of which are available on GOG. The first one is a little clunky and the second has some game-breaking technical issues on some systems, but otherwise they're very engrossing. I think they also have Sacred and its expansion if you enjoy Diablo clones, and Two Worlds is a pretty solid action RPG (as long as you ignore the dialog). It may not be worth ten bucks, but if you can catch it on sale it might be worth picking up.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Have you played Risen or any of the Gothic games?

Speaking of Risen and the Gothic games...

Are there any other similar open-world PC RPGs that anyone can recommend me? I have all 3 Gothic games, Risen, and Two Worlds and liked them all. (Yes, even Gothic 3) Back in the day I loved Morrowind too, but never took much to Oblivion. Am I missing anything or should I just reinstall one of the old ones while waiting for Two Worlds 2 to come out?

Any suggestions?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Genpei Turtle posted:

Speaking of Risen and the Gothic games...

Are there any other similar open-world PC RPGs that anyone can recommend me? I have all 3 Gothic games, Risen, and Two Worlds and liked them all. (Yes, even Gothic 3) Back in the day I loved Morrowind too, but never took much to Oblivion. Am I missing anything or should I just reinstall one of the old ones while waiting for Two Worlds 2 to come out?

Any suggestions?

Download Nehrim for oblivion. Seriously, it's loving ridiculously good for a mod, it can't even be considered a mod, it's on par with any game on the market right now.

Actually, anyone here who has oblivion should dust it off and download Nehrim, it's seriously VERY GOOD.

Also, anyone who remembers Champions of Norrath:RTA, any games that are very similair to that game? My ps2 is brokeded so I can't fuel my hours into it.

Brace fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 30, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a full-on loot-grind RPG in the vein of Diablo or Torchlight. The difficulty is I don't want a Diablo clone. Anything out there with lots of numbers, stats, and loot tables that's not a top-down action rpg?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'm doing a game design course and need some help finding some games.

I need to play through a horror game and do a case study on it for my current course, I need to be able to complete it and have time to write the thing (About a day at most) before Thursday. Oh it needs to have a story, not necessarily well written or good, just a story.

My game design is a horror where you have to survive the night in a mansion (15 minutes/10 in game hours), the only objective explicitly given to you is going to be "survive" but I want a hidden ending/objective where you can banish the evil/uncurse the house/ghostbusters/kill the monster/whatever, the only hint will be after surviving you get ending "B". So I'm wondering if there's any games with that kind of hidden/secret ending?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Luminaflare posted:

I need to play through a horror game and do a case study on it for my current course, I need to be able to complete it and have time to write the thing (About a day at most) before Thursday. Oh it needs to have a story, not necessarily well written or good, just a story.

My game design is a horror where you have to survive the night in a mansion (15 minutes/10 in game hours), the only objective explicitly given to you is going to be "survive" but I want a hidden ending/objective where you can banish the evil/uncurse the house/ghostbusters/kill the monster/whatever, the only hint will be after surviving you get ending "B". So I'm wondering if there's any games with that kind of hidden/secret ending?

Amnesia sounds great for you. Penumbra Overture too.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Kilometers Davis posted:

Amnesia sounds great for you. Penumbra Overture too.

I was considering those for the story side, any idea on the hidden ending thing?

NewAge
Sep 6, 2008
I suppose this is the right place for this: I have 1200 Microsoft Points. I can't decide between Plants vs. Zombies, Limbo, or any of the 1200 Castlevania games. Anybody got a recommendation out of these for me? Thanks :)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

NewAge posted:

I suppose this is the right place for this: I have 1200 Microsoft Points. I can't decide between Plants vs. Zombies, Limbo, or any of the 1200 Castlevania games. Anybody got a recommendation out of these for me? Thanks :)

You played the trials for each? If not I'd do that. Other than mentioning Harmony of Despair only really shines in multiplayer I can't really decide what to recommend to you.

NewAge
Sep 6, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

You played the trials for each? If not I'd do that. Other than mentioning Harmony of Despair only really shines in multiplayer I can't really decide what to recommend to you.

Yeah, actually. I wish I didn't have such an awful backlog of games to choose from.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Luminaflare posted:

While not exactly what you're looking for, the Dead Rising games are somewhat similar. The idea is that in each game, a rescue will arrive in 72 hours. And if you want, you can just wait it out and get an ending that way. However, there is a storyline in the game, and if you can complete all the tasks on time during the game, you get the real ending.

The problem with this is that the storyline isn't hidden at all, though you can completely ignore it if you want, and get the "Waited 72 hours" ending. So not quite what you're looking for, but the closest I can think of.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Any good games coming out near christmas that I can actually get FOR christmas? Cataclysm is gonna be a day-one purchase, and two worlds 2 is coming out in january so I'm stumped :(

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Brace posted:

Any good games coming out near christmas that I can actually get FOR christmas? Cataclysm is gonna be a day-one purchase, and two worlds 2 is coming out in january so I'm stumped :(

Depends on what you like, NFS: Hot Pursuit i found pretty fun, there's also Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Fallout: New Begas, Fable 3, Vanquish and The Force Unleashed II.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Law posted:

I haven't played it myself, but Evochron might be what you're looking for.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grimlook posted:

You might enjoy Jade Empire, the one RPG from Bioware that everyone forgets about. While it plays in China (or was it Japan? I forget), it is definitely not a JRPG, but a western one.
Also it plays pretty action-y and you only control your own character in battle, so if you enjoyed Mass Effect you could like this one too.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Perestroika posted:

You might enjoy Jade Empire, the one RPG from Bioware that everyone forgets about. While it plays in China (or was it Japan? I forget), it is definitely not a JRPG, but a western one.
Also it plays pretty action-y and you only control your own character in battle, so if you enjoyed Mass Effect you could like this one too.

China...ish. Definitely more inspired by chinese than japanese. But yeah, play it. While it's not Bioware's best game, it's definitely not bad either (And hey, ninjakicking stuff in the face is class)

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I really want a top down RPG like Fallout, Arcanum or Baldur's Gate 2 that has enormous worlds to explore with lots of story, side quests characters and poo poo. One that's not just a massive dungeon crawl.

I'm looking for something that gives me the feeling of nerd-love that BG2, F2 and Arcanum gave me. I tried Neverwinter Nights but it was just so boring I couldn't get past the first couple of hours.

I played and liked Divine Divinity, for some reason The Witcher bored me.

Fake edit: Oh and Planescape Torment, that was awesome. It's a bit more linear than my ideal, but it is up there because of the wonderful...everything.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I really want to play another city-builder like Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery. I've played SimCity 4 already, so that's out of the picture.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

I really want to play another city-builder like Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery. I've played SimCity 4 already, so that's out of the picture.

Try Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Edition, an excellent remake of an absolute classic (and a big inspiration for the anno series). The rest of the series after 2 ranged from mediocre to awful. I've heard mixed things about Settlers 7, the recent entry. Some think it's good, some think it's awful, I have no idea myself.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Immortal Wombat posted:

I really want a top down RPG like Fallout, Arcanum or Baldur's Gate 2 that has enormous worlds to explore with lots of story, side quests characters and poo poo. One that's not just a massive dungeon crawl.

I'm looking for something that gives me the feeling of nerd-love that BG2, F2 and Arcanum gave me. I tried Neverwinter Nights but it was just so boring I couldn't get past the first couple of hours.

I played and liked Divine Divinity, for some reason The Witcher bored me.

Fake edit: Oh and Planescape Torment, that was awesome. It's a bit more linear than my ideal, but it is up there because of the wonderful...everything.

Have you tried Neverwinter Nights 2? It's less boring, in my opinion. Especially the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, which you don't need to play NWN2 to enjoy.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for a full-on loot-grind RPG in the vein of Diablo or Torchlight. The difficulty is I don't want a Diablo clone. Anything out there with lots of numbers, stats, and loot tables that's not a top-down action rpg?
You should take a look at Borderlands. It's an FPS that's also a Diablo-style loot orgy with randomized weapons, but unlike eg Hellgate: London the basic gameplay is actually good.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

doctor iono posted:

Have you tried Neverwinter Nights 2? It's less boring, in my opinion. Especially the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, which you don't need to play NWN2 to enjoy.

Hah, this sounds stupid but I can't actually remember if I played NWN2. Certainly haven't played Mask of the Betrayer though and after reading a little bit about it, it sounds like just the thing.

Edit: Any tips before I start?

2nd edit: Good lord the patcher is slow

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 12, 2010

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Immortal Wombat posted:

Hah, this sounds stupid but I can't actually remember if I played NWN2. Certainly haven't played Mask of the Betrayer though and after reading a little bit about it, it sounds like just the thing.

This may be too late, but monks are fun as hell. Any class really works though - at Mask of the Betrayer levels, combat often becomes a joke if you're at all DND-savvy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Immortal Wombat posted:

2nd edit: Good lord the patcher is slow

I like NWN2, but a lot of people here don't. This has a lot to do with a very slow beginning. I hate to give this advice but stick with it for a couple of hours before you decide whether or not to give it a shot. I'd say if you aren't into it by the end of the courtroom scene (you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there) than you probably aren't going to be.

Also, one thing I had to do to make NWN2 more playable is I found a mod that doubles your run speed. If you feel the run speed is agonizingly slow like I did you might consider googling for it. The downside is your party members can't keep up with you so if you're not just passing through someplace (the towns are fairly large and require a lot of running around) it can SOMETIMES be a liability, but I was able to work around it.

In a lot of ways it feels like an early build of Dragon Age. I never actually finished Mask of the Betrayer but it was some high quality stuff. However, I don't feel it was any better than the later parts of the original NWN2 campaign. I honestly don't get why Mask of the Betrayer was held in such particular esteem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I need a good RPG for the Xbox, I've beaten Oblivion, Borderlands, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Any suggestions?