Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

It was far from a bad movie, or even a mediocre one, mind you. Wonderful cinematography, and the editing in the final act was very effective (I just wasn't personally attached). It had a strong start, as I said. But I wasn't too enthralled by the end, and that sort of neutralized the whole experience.

Maybe I'll revisit it when I have time to watch it all in one sitting...

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

On second thought. I've decided to continue!

Mistletoe Donkey, watch Stagecoach, and maybe I'll do the same!

My updated list:
Stagecoach — I've had a hankering for westerns lately, new and old. This is a classic, and if I saw it in class, I've completely forgotten it by now.

Schindler's List — It's a "great film" I've avoided because I don't want to feel manipulated by Spielberg.

Breathless — I don't know if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person. I don't think I'm either, but maybe seeing this will prove me wrong.

The Passion of Joan of Arc — Gotta get some silent lovin' on my list. I think I skipped this film when I was in college.

Any film by Satyajit Ray — FFD raves about this guy and I'm curious about Indian cinema.

North by Northwest — I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

Predator — Someone in the Predators thread told me I needed to see the original in order to truly understand how bad the most recent one is. Is this the one where Arnold tells people to get to the chopper?

Once Upon a Time in the West — More Leone. I hear this has Morricone at his peak, and since I loved the score in his other movies, I kind of want to see it for that reason alone.

Tokyo StoryGood Morning was all right, but I don't think it went anywhere interesting. Ozu is shaping up to be another great director I'll never understand; hopefully this will change things.

Barry Lyndon — Another Kubrick movie I have yet to see. Haven't bothered before because of the length.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona; Stalker; The Rules of the Game; Fanny and Alexander

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
thegloaming, I wanted to go with Stagecoach, because I just watched it, but I have to go with North By Northwest, one of my favorite movies.

I enjoyed the hell out of Stagecoach. My first John Ford western and now I see what the hype was about. I feel that almost every action movie owes a debt to it. Just an amazing film, maybe my new favorite western.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
2) Bullet in the Head- I like early John Woo, this is supposed to be his best
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) Once Upon A Time In The West- I'm catching up on my westerns
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) The Shining- staying with the horror genre, no excuse for this one
8) Jackie Brown- this slipped through the cracks on me, no excuse
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try
10) My Darling Clementine- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching To Kill a Mockingbird. Thought it was absolutely brilliant. Gregory Peck is so compelling as Finch and it makes a change to have two child actors who aren't incredibly annoying and/or terrible.

Mistletoe Donkey go and watch Once Upon a Time in the West and buy yourself a harmonica.

Updated List:

Mullholland Drive - Never had time for this. Heard good things but it always appeared overly complex. Don't know how true that is.

Gone With The Wind - Might very well be the last of the great classics I should watch.

Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Infernal Affairs - Heard it's where The Departed took it's story from. Can't be a bad thing.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

The Killer - Enjoyed Hard Boiled so much I thought I'd put another John Woo film in.

On The Waterfront - Never had the chance to watch this and haven't seen much of Brando's earlier stuff.

Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Once Upon A Time In America Zatoichi Downfall Children of Men The Deer Hunter Sunset Boulevard Badlands Jackie Brown Citizen Kane The Wild Bunch Seven Samurai The Magnificent Seven Casablanca Cool Hand Luke Amadeus Rear Window 2001: A Space Odyssey North by Northwest The Graduate It's a Wonderful Life Heat Hard Boiled To Kill A Mockingbird

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mike, go for Mulholland Dr because it's the Movie of the Month.

I watched the first three Lone Wolf and Cub movies. I'll post mini-reviews in the main review thread, but here I'll just say that I thought they were pretty good.

updated list:

1. The Crying Game
1. Edvard Munch ("100 Films Beyond the Canon") - I'm just hoping this isn't as awful as Punishment Park.

2. The Reckless Moment
2. Fox and His Friends ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Fassbinder is more miss than hit with me. Got a bad vibe about this one, but I could be surprised.

3. The Big Parade
3. The Black Cat ("100 Films Beyond the Canon") - Poe, Ulmer, Lugosi, Karloff... sounds like a winner to me.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy
5. Landscape in the Mist ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Something by Angelopoulos is an iffy proposition: Eternity and a Day was okay, but Travelling Players was a massive bore.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights
8. The White Balloon
8. High School ("Gerald Peary's 100 Films For Film Literacy") - I liked Titicut Follies, so I'm certainly open to more Wiseman.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked
9. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance/Baby Cart at the River Styx/Baby Cart to Hades
9. Diva ("Gerald Peary's 100 Films For Film Literacy") - I remember I had a friend in high school who loved this movie. That's all I know except I think it's supposed to be weird.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
FitFortDanga - watch Mon oncle d'Amerique. It's the only one on your list I've seen.

The Rules of the Game - I can see why this is as heralded as it is, although on my first watch it didn't really hit me that way. Very scathing indictment of the so-called upper class.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly - Can never go wrong with more Bergman.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dotCommunism posted:

Stroszek - More Herzog.

I'll say this.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I liked the story and the way it unfolded for the most part. I've seen many films that share themes with this and wouldn't be surprised if they were inspired by this. Also, the film looked good. I don't know how it was shot but I just liked the look of it.

I had a little trouble swallowing the ending. Howard: "Haw haw haw..what a great story this will make!" Curtin: "I agree, okay see ya!"

New List:

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#89 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#91 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#94 The Elephant Man - I think my mom saw this (addicted to "based on true story"/biopics and nothing else) and told me about it when I was young. The concept frightened me but I'm genuinely interested now.

#95 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#99 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Zogo posted:

#94 The Elephant Man - I think my mom saw this (addicted to "based on true story"/biopics and nothing else) and told me about it when I was young. The concept frightened me but I'm genuinely interested now.

If you watch it lying down be sure to use a pillow & get comfortable!

Initially I thought that A Streetcar Named Desire was a little long & I thought I was going to dislike everything but Brando but then I slowly began to realise the power of the story & that Vivien Leigh was upstaging a brilliant Brando at every turn & delivering what I'd say is probably the best female performance in a film I've seen yet. The way Tennessee Williams was able to twist and turn my allegiance to certain characters & sucker-punch me with the ending was sublime, directing by Kazan was solid. The famous line "I've always relied on the kindness of strangers" takes on a whole new meaning once you've actually seen the film.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) (1928, Carl Theodore Dreyer)
As far as 1920's films this one is probably in the higher tier of 'must see'. The iconic imagery is already in my head, it's just a matter of watching the film now!

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10.

Obidy
Sep 6, 2010
BisonDollah, I'm going to channel my inner penismightier here and give you Grapes of Wrath. Also read the book if you get a chance because as earth-shatteringly depressing as it is, it's really drat good.

Hoop Dreams. Uh, wow. drat. That was pretty amazing. By about the thirty-minute mark I just couldn't take my eyes off the screen. By the time it ends you feel like you've been there with the Agee and Gates family for as long as the documentarians were. It's by turns heart-breaking and inspiring, but always utterly enthralling. It is one of the best looks at urban poverty, about life in the ghetto and the hope for a dream come true. It's so much more than just a basketball documentary. 10/10

THE LIST:

1. The Bicycle Thieves - This is one of the many movies on my netflix instant queue right now, and I'm familiar with the basic premise, of a man who has the bicycle he needs for work stolen. I don't know much else except for how it's generally on lists of the greatest movies of all time.

2. Do the Right Thing - My only previous exposure to Spike Lee has been the Inside Man, but I'm interested in seeing some of his earlier stuff. It was between this and Malcolm X, but Do the Right Thing is like an hour and a half shorter, so I went with this one.

3. The Last Emperor - Bertolucci isn't a filmmaker I'm all that familiar with, but for some reason I like the idea of this movie and want to see if it's as good as a lot of critics say it is.

4. The Searchers - My dad is the kind of guy who has seen every, and I mean every John Wayne film ever made. This is his favorite Western of all time, and a few years ago he sat me down to watch it. I got bored and wandered off, but now I'm much more interested in watching it than before.

5. Raging Bull I definitely need to watch more of Scorsese's work, especially from his earlier days. I don't know if I'd say I enjoyed Taxi Driver, but it enthralled me in a horrified sort of way and kept creeping into my thoughts for days. I've been interested in seeing the next of his collaborations with De Niro and Paul Schrader, and I finally got my hands on a copy of this, so, here it is.

6. The General - This supposed to be Buster Keaton's masterpiece, and one of the greatest movies of the silent era. I have yet to see any silents in general, so I wanted to start with a good one.

7. M*A*S*H* - Robert Altman is one of those directors I feel ashamed for not having seen a movie by. I think this is as good a starting point as I'll get for his filmography, and hopefully it clicks with me.

8. The Sting - I want more of Redford and Newman, those guys are amazing.

9. Paths of Glory - I have only a limited exposure to Kubrick's movies and want to see more, so I figured that this would be a good starting point with him.

10. Yojimbo - I've seen a bunch of Kurosawa's movies, but for some reason I've never seen Yojimbo. I couldn't tell you for the life of me how I missed this one, but it just seemed to slip through my fingers.

Already seen: Wild Strawberries: 9/10, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 9.5/10, Hoop Dreams: 10/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
loving finally completed my assignment of Apocalypse Now. It's one of the most engrossing and transcendent movies I've ever seen. By the end, it just sucks you in to the point that was once a completely alien world makes almost total sense. The movie is gorgeously photographed to boot. Its depiction of Vietnam is unforgettable, beautiful and horrifying all at once. The score and the use of "The End" by The Doors intensifies the effect.
My only quibble is that Kurtz spent so much time being foreshadowed and so little time on screen. Even so, as Captain Willard implies, Kurtz is in many ways the end result of the transformation we spend the film watching Willard himself undergo. Other than that, it was a movie that impressed the poo poo out of me.

I also caught Blue Velvet while I was waiting. It's my second favorite Lynch film after Mulholland Drive. Frank Booth strikes me as one of Lynch's most unstoppable villains. I know it's demonstrably untrue, but still, Dennis Hopper's performance is so amazing that he just makes the character seem so much more powerful. The use of color theory is classic Lynch, but also great to look at. I'll be rewatching this pretty soon, and I'm looking forward to it.

Obidy, Yojimbo is all you. I think you'll enjoy it. It's one of Kurosawa's better films.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God
Grand Slam
Robocop
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Laura
Full Metal Jacket
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Blue Velvet
Apocalypse Now

Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.
American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.
Boogie Nights: I hate to say it, but Paul Thomas Anderson has only made one movie I've liked: Hard Eight. But this and Punch-Drunk Love are the only features of his I have yet to see, so I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Tombstone: I've never seen this all the way through, even though I always did like Westerns. I haven't seen Wyatt Earp all the way through either, but where that was boring and weighed down by Kevin Costner, this always looked decidedly more interesting.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CloseFriend posted:

Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.

Really? It has some fans, but a lot of people (myself included) think it's one of his worst.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
And I think it's one of his best.

:colbert:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Really? It has some fans, but a lot of people (myself included) think it's one of his worst.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And I think it's one of his best.

:colbert:

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

In a fight between Orson Welles and Ingmar Bergman, I think Orson would win. But he'd fight dirty.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Bringing up Baby was clever and goofy as expected, but I feel like I'm kind of over the genre. Not that interested in it. It would be interesting to see what modern animal rights activists would think about having one (or two?) tamed leopards in a movie, though.

CloseFriend, watch Tombstone. I don't really like any of the other movies on your list, except for Barton Fink. But Tombstone is an essential Badass Movie.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

NEW 6. Barry Lyndon - Next highest for me on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list. Not looking forward to this for the same reasons as everyone else.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, To Be Or Not To Be, The Earrings of Madame de..., Bringing Up Baby

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Brian Fellows, watch Barry Lyndon, it's quite good

I'm disappointed that I had never gotten around to seeing Once Upon A Time in the West until now. It's far and away Leone's best western and this is coming from an unabashed Good, the Bad, The Ugly acolyte. Everything about it was flawless. Wow, what an experience.

5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

I'm disappointed that I had never gotten around to seeing Once Upon A Time in the West until now. It's far and away Leone's best western and this is coming from an unabashed Good, the Bad, The Ugly acolyte. Everything about it was flawless. Wow, what an experience.

The ending is obviously great on its own, but I love watching this re-cut version.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Mistletoe Donkey,I was going to give you The Shining, to trade Kubrick for Kubrick, but since you haven't seen Blue Velvet I have to give you that. It's one of my favorites, and I saw it before I had seen any other David Lynch. It's easily his most likeable and "normal" (and I use that word as loosely as the quote signs permit) film he's made if you're a casual non-Lynch fan.

Barry Lyndon WAS quite good. Both of the duels are amazing in every way. Also, I was very impressed with both the quantity and quality of the set pieces and costumes... I'm going to have to go back in time a day and un-make fun of a girl who gets her hair done often; as long as she's not spending 1 and a half hours or so a day on it, she's doing better than the women in this film.

All in all, Barry Lyndon is a GREAT commentary basically on the weaknesses of people that think they are better than cowardice/the law/their peers.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

NEW 6. Last Year at Marienbad- Next highest for me on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list. I don't know anything about it but it's on The List.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, To Be Or Not To Be, The Earrings of Madame de..., Bringing Up Baby, Barry Lyndon

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brian Fellows posted:

Blue Velvet ... easily his most likeable and "normal" (and I use that word as loosely as the quote signs permit) film he's made if you're a casual non-Lynch fan.

Straight Story? Elephant Man?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Elephant Man isn't that likeable, and Straight Story? I guess there's nothing there that's psycho-strange like in a trademark Lynch film, but a sentimental story about a man that travels a long distance on a tractor? How is that normal?

One way or the other, that's the Lynch movie I feel like most people are going to outright love even if they don't like any of his others. Don't get me wrong, there are people that'll hate it to, but the SHAMEFUL thread has spoken and he'll be watching Blue Velvet :colbert:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Brian Fellows posted:

I liked the ending of this.

"I AM NOT AN ELEPHANT!"

After watching the elephant man trudge around wearing the burlap sack on his head and the chronic bronchitis he started to remind me of a meek and mild Jason Voorhees.

It looked so similar to Jason that I have to wonder if Jason's appearance in certain films was lifted from this film..right down the burlap sack on his head with one eye slot.

During the elephant attack scenes I was wondering what was going on but then read that the mother had had an incident with an elephant while pregnant and they thought that this was why he appeared this way.

New List:

#57 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#87 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#90 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#91 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#95 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#98 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#99 The Sting - Saw a small portion on TV once and then I forgot about it.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 9, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, have fun with The Sting

Blue Velvet has kinda redeemed my opinion on David Lynch. I had seen Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, and Dune before this and really didn't care for any of them. But as a noir fan, I really enjoyed Blue Velvet. Dennis Hopper was great as advertised and I really appreciated Lynch's bizarre touches in this more than in his other films. Now I'm looking forward to re-discovering him.

5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
9) Mulholland Drive- more David Lynch to explore

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey, I hope you enjoy Bullet in the Head. I'm not sure I'd call it Woo's best, but it's definitely his most personal film, and well worth seeing.

Faust was pretty mind-blowing. Yeah, it slows down a lot in the second half, but it has some of the most insane visuals I've seen in any movie, and Emil Jannings as Mephisto is possibly my new favorite silent film performance ever (maybe second place to Max Schreck in Nosferatu; man, Murnau really knew how to direct great silent performances). The scene where Faust first summons him is perfectly creepy. 9/10 (that's three 9/10s in a row; either I'm real easy to please or these are all just really good movies)

Here's my new list. I took off a few titles I ended up watching on my own time and added some new ones.

Serpico: I have this OCD English major thing where I refuse to see movies unless I've read the book first. I finally finished the book about a week ago, and loved it. About time I saw Pacino's star-making turn.

The Thin Man: Similar to the above. I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: I need to see more classic silents, and the clips I've seen of this looked really loving cool.

Stray Dog: One of the few major Kurosawa's I haven't seen. I intend to work my way through all his movies eventually.

Strangers on a Train: I need to see more Hitchcocks, too. Part of me wants to read the book before I see this, but whatever.

The Devil Rides Out: I love Hammer Horror films, and this one looks cool.

Seen: The Manchurian Candidate, Rear Window, Faust

VelvetEvoker
Jan 13, 2008

Migi!
LtKenFrankenstein, I haven't read the book so I can't say how close it is, but Serpico is awesome anyways. Hope you enjoy it.

Watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I liked it a lot. Great visuals, and it's probably one of my favorite Depp performances that I've seen to date. Glad I finally watched it.

1.Mad Max: I've always been interested in this movie and the sequels, but never got around to it.

2.Wall Street: Another one I've been meaning to get to. With the sequel out, I guess it'd be a good time to watch it.

3.Dazed and Confused: Heard good things about it, looks like something I'd like.

4.The Thing: Kurt Russel is awesome, John Carpenter is awesome, there's really no good reason as to why I haven't seen this.

5.Bubba Ho-Tep: Every time I've tried to watch this, something else has come up.

6.Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: My friend raves about this movie and she has pretty good taste.

7.It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: Heard a ton of good about this one.

8.Heavy Metal: I can go for some trippy animation, I have the soundtrack and like it a lot.

9.Requiem for a Dream: Another thing I've been meaning to watch for a while.

10.Barton Fink: Love the Coen brothers, this is one of the few I haven't seen.

Watched: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm going to bow out for a while, got a bunch of stuff I need to catch up on. But I'll post my mini-review of my last assignment:

Mon Oncle d'Amerique - Another strikingly unique film by Alain Resnais. The psychologist Henri Labroit explains an assortment of theories and principles regarding the human brain and instincts and survival mechanisms, while the interactions between Gerard Depardieu, Nicola Garcia and Roger Pierre illustrate the concepts. It's not as clinical or high-concept as it sounds, and actually works as both an unusual narrative technique and as a drama. Resnais uncharacteristically even manages to inject some humor in the proceedings, as in the characters re-enacting scenes as lab rats. Another light-hearted, clever touch is how classic film footage is used to associate Depardieu with Jean Gabin and Garcia with Jean Marais. Certainly not by accident, Pierre's character is named Jean, and the three represent different coping strategies and different levels of consciousness. It's all pretty fascinating and succeeds quite well. However, the cinematography is generally disappointing, especially coming from a master like Sacha Vierny. Rating: 8

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Bad and the Beautiful was very good. Lana Turner was incredible, and I'm always happy to see Walter Pidgeon and Kirk Douglas. It's no Sunset Blvd, but I'm glad I watched it.

VelvetEvoker, try It's a Mad etc World. It's amazing how long it sustains itself.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Partie de campagne More Renoir, why not?

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Autumn Sonata Let's do it.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
penismightier, you get Autumn Sonata. Enjoy!

The Leopard was all kinds of awesome. It was like all the best parts of period films rolled into one, with a big surprise dollop of introspectiveness. I was honestly not expecting it to take the turn that it does in the final third, and it's so excellent how you're carried with him as he comes to these realizations about his age and mortality, even before he sees the big painting. Man, that ball was opulent as hell. It's great how relaxed the film is about it, too, how sometimes it just stops to watch people dance. I may have to buy this.

SHAME!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Where The Wild Things Are - I was so unbelievably excited about this when the ads started rolling out, and then...I didn't see it. I don't know why. It looks good and Spike Jonze is a pretty excellent director.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) The Wages Of Fear - This has been on my Netflix queue ever since the Blu-Ray came out, but for some reason I haven't seen it. Why? Who knows! It looks exciting, though.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) Breathless - Jump cuts! New wave! French people smoking cigarettes! Goofy sunglasses! References to other movies or something or whatever!

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

STANDBY (I'm so lame): Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Das Boot

Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard (total: 18)

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Ok, Magic Hate Ball, after long deliberation and several phone calls to various lawmakers, I've decided to give you The Conformist. Have fun!

I really enjoyed The Wild Bunch. Peckinpah's direction was extremely tight, and all the actors were really well-suited to their roles. The last 15 minutes or so, especially the final shoot-out, were aces. I didn't think the movie was going to get that bloody. I read on IMdB that John Wayne said this movie destroyed the myth of the old west, and it pretty well does. It's certainly a lot grittier and a lot more violent than any Wayne movie.

Alright, moving on:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

L'Atalante Never heard of this until I started going through TSPDT's list, and I've heard good things about it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Last two guys, my disc hasn't come in the mail so I can't force either of you to watch anything, but Ordet is fantastic. You both have movies on your lists I love (Wages of Fear, Sunrise, and La Strada are a few of my FAVORITE movies), but Ordet came out of nowhere. I saw the two Dreyer films you guys listed before I saw Ordet, but this movie just came out of nowhere and knocked me over.

Just sayin...

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
tokillthesunflower, I haven't seen any of the movies in your list, but I'm most interested in Jules et Jim, so I'm sending you in ahead of me. I was going to give you the Antonioni or Griffith films, but I don't think highly of either man, so enjoy!

I just finished Tombstone. Awesome movie; I loved it. It's so much more tense and visually exciting than that overlong, bone-dry Costner movie. The score really lifted it. I expected the OK Corral gunfight to be the movie's climax, so I was pretty excited to see there was a lot more movie left. For such a short scene it was just so incredibly well-scored, well-shot, and well-edited. I knew exactly what was happening and I was pumped for it the whole time. The sets were a little fake, but it was also a love letter to older Westerns, so I can forgive that.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God
Grand Slam
Robocop
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Laura
Full Metal Jacket
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Blue Velvet
Apocalypse Now
Tombstone

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.
Boogie Nights: I hate to say it, but Paul Thomas Anderson has only made one movie I've liked: Hard Eight. But this and Punch-Drunk Love are the only features of his I have yet to see, so I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Natural Born Killers: Of all the movies I haven't seen that Stone directed or Tarantino wrote, this is the one that interests me the most (even if Tarantino did only write the first draft).
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Natural Born Killers: Of all the movies I haven't seen that Stone directed or Tarantino wrote, this is the one that interests me the most (even if Tarantino did only write the first draft).

This was a really tough choice, because I was going to give you Boogie Nights, but you HAVE to see this. It is shockingly brilliant and one of my all time favorite films. It is specifically due to this film that I am a fan of Juliette Lewis, no matter what other crappy movies she may have stared in. Same deal with Woody Harrelson.

I just finished watching City of God after putting it off for way way too long. I found the movie very engrossing, and the way all the tales were weaved was really nice. The movie itself was pretty intense and there was one point where I almost turned it off, as I didn't think I could take much more The part where Steak has to choose which little kid to kill. But I felt the whole thing was really well done and deserving of it's claim to fame.

Here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. The Red Shoes. The only thing I really know about this movie I learned from the musical Chorus Line (which is loving awesome in it's own right and everyone should see it). I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 14, 2010

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

TannhauserGate posted:

I also watched Serenity. I seriosuly can't believe how many people claim this is anything other than a long episode of a Whedon TV show, although Nathan Fillion and the few other decent actors did their very best to make something of it. Star Trek, I'm calling it after the RLM review, there's no way I don't hate this movie.

-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Not usually a tear-jerker sort of person.
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- 8/10
-Serenity- 4/10
-Metropolis (the anime)- Adore the actual movie, hasn't seen the ahneemu.
-Raging Bull- I usually don't jive with deNiro, I didn't even like Taxi Driver.
-Inglourious Basterds- Missed it at box office, haven't caught it since.
-Brazil- I saw 12 Monkeys, so don't give me that look!
-Star Trek(2009)- 2/10
-The Fountain- No seriously why haven't I watched this yet? Requiem fan.
-Ikiru- 10/10
-M- Metropolis is my #1 movie, all-time, haven't seen any other Lang

okay, first off, Serenity is technically supposed to be one long Whedon episode as technically it is the final Firefly episode as a shout out to the fans who lobbied for the movie as the show was cancelled, much like I imagine Arrested Development and Dead Like Me. Good shows cancelled too soon, so they make a movie to please the fans and finish out the show.

By the way, if you liked Metropolis check out Lang's other work. He is a genius! A lot of his stuff is offered on Netflix.

What did you think of 12 Monkeys or Benjamin Button? It has been too long for me to give the former an accurate rating and as for the latter, I give it an 8/10 mainly for the special effects, but the story was original.

Inglorious Basterds is my favorite Quentin Tarantino movie! I give it a 10.

And whoever hated Donnie Brasco, I have one word - "forgitaboudit!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf0ZyoUn7Vk

I give that movie a 7/10. Any gangster movie with Pacino is a "made" movie in my opinion. Depp added yummy spice.

I hated that movie with Depp about Dillinger. I can't even think of the name right now I hated it so much. The musical score sucked! The acting was okay and it followed the history pretty accurately, but it would have been more interesting watching a documentary on The History Channel.

As for movies you may have missed, most have been listed! A quirky comedy, full of "those" kids - The Sasquatch Gang - Hilarious, much funnier than Napoleon Dynamite, which gets on my nerves a bit.

The Madness of King George
All the King's Men
A Man for All Seasons
Whale Rider
The Third Man
Bright Star
Phoebe in Wonderland
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Imporium (I have kids)
Cool Hand Luke
Anne of the Thousand Days
Becket
Best in Show
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Darwin Awards
Michael Collins
Immortal Beloves
the Children of Huang Shi
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Nines (my favorite Ryan Reynolds movie)
Luther
Pierrepoint
Goya's Ghosts
Secondhand Lions
Quills
The Legend of 1900
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Cautiva
Everlasting Moments
Let the Right One In
12 - 10/10 best Russian film I've seen in a bit, don't even notice the subtitles much
The Stoning of Soraya M

All of the above movies I would give at least an 8/10, if not more, and would watch more than once and have watched more than once.

I could add 100 more, especially as I love foreign films and old movies, and it seems most here don't watch the obscure ones, but I didn't see most of the above listed. I'll stop there for now. I have a conference at my son's school anyways.

Okay, I didn't get to finish my post, as I had to leave for said school conference - my 6-year-old son is kissing girls at recess! Oh, the player he is! I asked him about it when he got home, and he said she asked him to! :O ;)

I'm going back and looking at my previous poster now to see what I need to pick for him to watch. And I'll add it to my edit. I apologize for getting side-tracked.

Bodnoirbabe:

Okay, I would say watch The Usual Suspects but you know the ending, but it's still a great movie. And I do love Rabbit-Proof Fence and Gross Pointe Blank is probably one of my favorite Cusack films, but I will have to say you HAVE to see

The Pianist pure awesomeness! I love this movie and I put off seeing it forever and just saw it myself a month ago on Netflix on-demand. Nothing was overdone - language, violence, sex. It was just a masterpiece. And anything about the holocaust can tend to be a bit melodramatic, but this wasn't. It is a gripping film I think you will be sorry you've waited to see and will be glad to watch a second time.

Now, I need to figure out which films I've missed out on seeing. I know there are a bunch. I'll add them in a few.

Okay here is my first short list of movies I've wanted to see or should have seen by now and for some reason haven't:

1. Slumdog Millionaire. This movie has gotten a lot of hype, won an oscar, and was a sleeper hit, so I figure it's worth a shot.

2. Ben-Hur. I've always wanted to see this and never gotten a chance to for some reason. I have no real excuse except I've just never caught it when it's been showing on cable or TV or at school when I was younger and never sought it out to rent.

3. Destiny. I think this may be the only Lang film I've never seen.

4. The Great Dictator. I've not seen a lot of Chaplin, but after seeing the movie with Robert Downey, Jr. Playing him it renewed my interest and I loved that he made this movie as a flip-off to Hitler.

5. A Streetcar Named Desire. I have no good explanation for why I haven't seen this classic. My head is hung in shame.

6. The Dirty Dozen. Same as #5.

7. Serpico. Hadn't really heard of it until I read about it on this post. Looks interesting, so I added it.

8. Taxi-Driver. Watched part of it once and stopped after one particular seen that bothered me. I might give it another shot.

9. 12 Angry Men. I loved the Russian remake of this that recently came out. I want to see the original.

That's it for now.

Thanks for your patience. Sorry for my mispost earlier.

mombot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 15, 2010

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Mistletoe Donkey, I hope you enjoy Bullet in the Head. I'm not sure I'd call it Woo's best, but it's definitely his most personal film, and well worth seeing.

Faust was pretty mind-blowing. Yeah, it slows down a lot in the second half, but it has some of the most insane visuals I've seen in any movie, and Emil Jannings as Mephisto is possibly my new favorite silent film performance ever (maybe second place to Max Schreck in Nosferatu; man, Murnau really knew how to direct great silent performances). The scene where Faust first summons him is perfectly creepy. 9/10 (that's three 9/10s in a row; either I'm real easy to please or these are all just really good movies)

speaking of Nosferatu, did you see Shadow of the Vampire? It's a movie basically fictionalizing the filming of Nosferatu where Schreck is actually a vampire Murnau found while researching his desire to film the book Dracula. Murnau is by John Malcovich, who is overrated as an actor as he can't do accents for poo poo and for me it ruins his portrayal of Murnau. But it was a decent film. Not as good as Nosferatu, though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

You should read the OP. I don't really get what your list is supposed to be. Just some movies you like?

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

See my edit. I didn't get a didn't get a chance to finish posting. I was late to a meeting at my son's school and didn't realize it and had to close out the post and forgot. I just edited half the post and am pouting my missed list now. Been a long day!

Okay, my post is all caught up, with what I want my previous poster to watch and what I've missed.

I have to ask what you liked so much about

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world. I didn't like it, although it's been years since I saw it.

mombot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 15, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

picklejars posted:

lovely post about too much poo poo that has nothing to do with this thread and then finally loving get's to the loving point but is still poorly formatted.

I'm going to assume that you're trying to pick a movie for me. You should probably put the person's name to call attention to the fact that your loving picking for them, especially if your posts are going to be long winded, badly formated posts.

Also, you highlighted two loving movies there without saying which one you're loving picking for me. The Usual Suspects or The Pianist?

Get it together, man. It's not hard to do this.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 15, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

picklejars posted:

Destiny. I think this may be the only Lang film I've never seen.

That's an impressive feat. I've seen 22, and there's still at least 20 I haven't seen yet.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

A few years ago I saw M and was hooked! I started renting or watching on Netflix as much as I could. I might have missed a couple of more, but I think I've hit them all. I have Destiny in my que, but it got low on my list and I forgot about it.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I'm going to assume that you're trying to pick a movie for me. You should probably put the person's name to call attention to the fact that your loving picking for them, especially if your posts are going to be long winded, badly formated posts.

Also, you highlighted two loving movies there without saying which one you're loving picking for me. The Usual Suspects or The Pianist?

Get it together, man. It's not hard to do this.

Sorry, it's been a bad, bad day. I usually have it more together. I edited the post, but I'll put it here for you.

The Pianist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

picklejars posted:

Sorry, it's been a bad, bad day. I usually have it more together. I edited the post, but I'll put it here for you.

The Pianist.

Thank you.