Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mookie posted:

For the SF vs. SV thing, I agree that the "prestige" portion will be the same to a law student's eyes. However, it won't be after he's been there a few years. In SV, the general litigators are very frequently second class citizens to the IP litigators, given the nature of the business there - the IP guys are the ones who are likely to have the primary client relationships, etc. Add to that the lack of decent local litigation work if the firm also has a SF office (where the securities and white collar litigation practices will be concentrated) and there are definitely fewer avenues for advancement as a non-IP litigator in an SV office. Other firms, and others within the firm, know this, which radically changes the "prestige" calculation once you shed the law student perspective.
Where's Mrtoodles? He worked in for biglaw in SV (IP litigation). Don't recall who (and wouldn't say if I did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I took the LSAT today and I took it like a champ. Yesterday, I did almost no studying. I have been studying for 4 months or so, another night was not going to make a big difference. Had a nice day of resting, relaxing and had a beer or two before I went to bed. Got up, felt great. Walked into test today. I avoided everyone who wanted to talk about the test and just talked about sports during the break. Walked back in and crushed the rest of my exam.

No stressin'

Let's hope I get a good score.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anyone who doesn't go to law school is a human being sissy pussy freshman who deserves to choke on a weiner. Do it. Come on. Do it.

Ah yes, reverse reverse psychology! Phil = genius

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Defleshed posted:

Ah yes, reverse reverse psychology! Phil = genius
No, he's just helping promote Goon Law School (TM) a division of DeVry University.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Enigma89 posted:

I took the LSAT today and I took it like a champ. Yesterday, I did almost no studying. I have been studying for 4 months or so, another night was not going to make a big difference. Had a nice day of resting, relaxing and had a beer or two before I went to bed. Got up, felt great. Walked into test today. I avoided everyone who wanted to talk about the test and just talked about sports during the break. Walked back in and crushed the rest of my exam.

No stressin'

Let's hope I get a good score.

Sounds like you were literally me today :cool:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah I took the LSAT today too and did pretty well. I won't go into specifics but I will say that Reading Comp was a piece of cake and Logical Reasoning wasn't too bad, although there were a few strange question stems. I got two Games sections and unfortunately did better on the experimental section. From what I hear the real section was the one with drivers, nurses and artifacts. I still did okay but I probably missed 2-3 questions, whereas in the experimental section I know I aced it with time to spare.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
look at all these special snowflakes up in here

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
How are people reading through these threads and still deciding to take the LSAT and apply to law school?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

more friedman units posted:

How are people reading through these threads and still deciding to take the LSAT and apply to law school?

Optimism bias. See also Cass R. Sunstein, Behavioral Law and Economics 1-10 (2000).

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Ersatz posted:

Optimism bias. See also Cass R. Sunstein, Behavioral Law and Economics 1-10 (2000).

It goes beyond being overly optimistic, this is like watching people waiting in line to walk straight into a sawblade.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

more friedman units posted:

It goes beyond being overly optimistic, this is like watching people waiting in line to walk straight into a sawblade.
In the vast majority of cases I agree, and it's definitely hard to watch.

Optimism bias in the sense that Sunstein describes is unrealistic systemic overconfidence with regard to risk despite knowledge of the facts, causing informed individuals to behave as if the risks are less likely to materialize for themselves than for others.

That kind of systemic irrationality is the only explanation that makes sense to me with regard to steadily increasing law school enrollment, assuming that prospective students are actually aware of the terrible state of the market. That's generally a bad assumption, but people who've been reading these threads have been exposed to the statistics and a lot of anecdotal evidence besides, and many of them are still in snowflake mode.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This thread really has taken a steady dive into the macabre in the last few years. I remember in previous threads, LSAT season was lame because the thread would be flooded with people talking about taking it and advice about studying for it and all that but these days when someone mentions that they're taking the LSAT they just get shouted down and we go back to talking about tacos.

I mean I'm not complaining, tacos are more interesting and people who are thinking about going to law school deserve to be shouted down but I'm just saying, we aren't even biting our tongues anymore.

And yet they come

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
It's the same poo poo that makes people think that 75% of students will rank in the top 15% of the class, 85% will make salaries in the 90th percentile after graduating, and that 100% of people can be in the top 2% of earners with enough hard work.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm doing my second round of interviews of OCIs next week plenty of jobs guys hop in the water's great not at all macabre up in here

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You know I've never actually looked up the word "macabre" in the dictionary, I just assume I know what it means through context.

Not gonna look it up now, that's for sure

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
But then you'll try to use it one day in real life and be all embarrassed because it's pronounced different than it looks and everyone will know you're a dude who learns words through reading

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

You know I've never actually looked up the word "macabre" in the dictionary, I just assume I know what it means through context.

Not gonna look it up now, that's for sure
Well, these threads don't actually emphasize the details and symbols of death, but they can be accurately described as having the quality of a grim or ghastly atmosphere (aside from tacochat, of course), so I think you're good.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Applying is not the same as enrolling. Are you saying that nowadays it's NEVER worth it even if you get into a T14 school? [/snowflake]

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yes because you have to be a lawyer

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's story:

At a wedding, my cousin was talking about an interview with a plaintiff's firm that he walked out on. He said, "The guy was a loving rear end in a top hat. A) He hated defense counsel and B) Asked me when the last time I got in a fight was, because he thinks plaintiff's attorneys should be aggressive."

Me:

"Can I get that number?"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

IrritationX posted:

It's the same poo poo that makes people think that 75% of students will rank in the top 15% of the class, 85% will make salaries in the 90th percentile after graduating, and that 100% of people can be in the top 2% of earners with enough hard work.

And when this special snowflake realizes it isn't true, he concludes that nobody else has a chance, either.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's story:

At a wedding, my cousin was talking about an interview with a plaintiff's firm that he walked out on. He said, "The guy was a loving rear end in a top hat. A) He hated defense counsel and B) Asked me when the last time I got in a fight was, because he thinks plaintiff's attorneys should be aggressive."

Me:

"Can I get that number?"

Yeah I view litigation as an opportunity to wade in my enemies' blood, organize their skulls in a pleasing pile, and take advantage of their women. Hey, can we blow this gay interview and go yell at cars?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

Applying is not the same as enrolling. Are you saying that nowadays it's NEVER worth it even if you get into a T14 school? [/snowflake]
I'm saying that even if you do get in to a T14 big law is far from assured (only 33% of the class can be top-third), and that even if you make it in to big law it is unlikely that you'll last more than the few years that it takes to break even on your investment.

If your goal in going to law school isn't to land a big law job you should understand that it is extremely difficult to land stable public interest employment.

If you have a full ride to a T14 and are absolutely positive that you want to be a lawyer and understand everything that that entails it might be worth it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Yeah I view litigation as an opportunity to wade in my enemies' blood, organize their skulls in a pleasing pile, and take advantage of their women. Hey, can we blow this gay interview and go yell at cars?

gently caress that poo poo, I wave my dick at traffic. Yelling's for sissies.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Someone once described litigation to me as "state-sanctioned bloodlust." Never have I wanted to do something more.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

joat mon posted:

And when this special snowflake realizes it isn't true, he concludes that nobody else has a chance, either.
To be fair, some of us are trying to dissuade people from making a life choice that is probably going to go very badly, despite having been lucky ourselves.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

joat mon posted:

go for it

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Someone once described litigation to me as "state-sanctioned bloodlust." Never have I wanted to do something more.

Bloodlust where your weapons are negotiating strenuously and maybe faxing something on a Friday afternoon to be a dick.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ersatz posted:

To be fair, some of us are trying to dissuade people from making a life choice that is probably going to go very badly, despite having been lucky ourselves.

No, I'm with you - there's a need to counteract some of the cultural myths about law school and the crap that law schools put out to sell seats.

But putting out information like,
If there ever was a time that a JD was a license to print your own money, it isn't now.
If there ever was a time when everyone got awesome jobs right out of law school, it isn't now.
Your JD is going to cost a ton of money, and you're not going to see that much difference in salary from a professional who didn't pay out those outrageous sums. Given that the law job market is no different that any other professional job market, and you're not going to pay your loans off in 5 years, a JD isn't the 'sure thing' you thought it was.

Is different from 'you might as well slit your wrists and burn your money'
(Alone.)
(In the rain.)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Cormack posted:

Bloodlust where your weapons are negotiating strenuously and maybe faxing something on a Friday afternoon to be a dick.

Just the kind of passive-aggressive pillaging the modern man needs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cormack posted:

Also your legendary warriors look like this

joat mon posted:

No, I'm with you - there's a need to counteract some of the cultural myths about law school and the crap that law schools put out to sell seats.

But putting out information like,
If there ever was a time that a JD was a license to print your own money, it isn't now.
If there ever was a time when everyone got awesome jobs right out of law school, it isn't now.
Your JD is going to cost a ton of money, and you're not going to see that much difference in salary from a professional who didn't pay out those outrageous sums. Given that the law job market is no different that any other professional job market, and you're not going to pay your loans off in 5 years, a JD isn't the 'sure thing' you thought it was.

Is different from 'you might as well slit your wrists and burn your money'
(Alone.)
(In the rain.)

Perhaps the literal sentence "you might as well slit your wrists and burn your money" is a little harsh but I think that a lot of people take the LSAT thinking "well I'm not planning to make biglaw money, I'll just do whatever because everyone needs lawyers and I'll learn to love the job along the way and even if that doesn't work out a law degree will open all sorts of doors that my usless poli sci degree doesn't" and I strongly believe that those people need to be told how dumb they are because that was certainly my attitude towards law school and if someone had yelled at me and told me what an error I was making I'd probably be in a better spot right now. Well I'd probably be working some lovely office job and whining and I wouldn't realize how much worse off I'd have been if I'd gone to law school because nobody has the ability to peer into parallel universes as far as I know but my point is I'd probably be having more sex because it's hard to find things to talk about on dates when you're jobless

Instead all I got was encouragement. "Law school, I'm so proud of you!" Stupid loving parents

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Took the LSAT today also, felt like it went well-ish except for logic games. The nurses and artifacts one was the non-experimental, you are correct. Are we not supposed to talk about that or something? Anyways, logic games are not my strong suit and they came last for me so I was kind of drained at that point. Definitely didn't crush it, but I think I did well. Went and got drunk and watched football for the rest of the day, so the day overall was pretty swell.

Also a lot of people in this thread seem to think everyone wanting to go to law school is an idiot who is right out of some liberal arts major and isn't greedy and just wants to make 100,000 a year in a governmental job or whatever your standard line is. You come off like you're looking down on us from your high and mighty seat of knowledge of how it really works. I mean I follow this thread a lot, I enjoy reading it, I knew what I was getting myself into before reading the thread, stop treating everyone who posts some interest in your job field like they are a braindead moron. I agree a lot of people don't understand what they are getting into, but some do. Hope I didn't piss anyone off, like I said I do enjoy reading tacochat, and look forward to contributing to such chat in the future.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Walamor posted:

Also a lot of people in this thread seem to think everyone wanting to go to law school is an idiot who is right out of some liberal arts major and isn't greedy and just wants to make 100,000 a year in a governmental job or whatever your standard line is. You come off like you're looking down on us from your high and mighty seat of knowledge of how it really works. I mean I follow this thread a lot, I enjoy reading it, I knew what I was getting myself into before reading the thread, stop treating everyone who posts some interest in your job field like they are a braindead moron. I agree a lot of people don't understand what they are getting into, but some do. Hope I didn't piss anyone off, like I said I do enjoy reading tacochat, and look forward to contributing to such chat in the future.

Law school, I'm so proud of you!

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Law school, I'm so proud of you!

Thanks Dad! :unsmith:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Cormack posted:

Pretty much this. "Bloodlust" in most litigation means "opposing counsel will waste slightly more time responding to this discovery than I wasted drafting it." Also sometimes you can ruin his toner if you send your 200 pages of bullshit admission requests by fax instead of by mail. WADING IN THE BLOOD OF YOUR ENEMIES I TELL YOU.

If it gets to the point where the thought of sending out interrogatories really gets your blood pumping then you should probably get out more (or see your cardiologist).

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Walamor posted:

You really don't, though. When you're a random LSAT test taker with no lawyers in the family you might as well think legal practice is Legally Blonde. There are exceptions, mostly people like Petey that've published law review articles before ever attending, but the legal profession is probably the most misportrayed job in America; when you have no family practicing law and think of the word lawyer, you don't think "professional document reviewer" or "has practiced for 15 years, filed upwards of ten thousand cases and never set foot in a courthouse (because there are other lawyers almost literally stabbing each other on the courthouse steps for the privilege of getting paid $100 to sit in court and ask the judge to postpone hearings all day)". When you have a lawyer or several lawyers in the family and do have a vague idea of what legal practice is like, they all have wildly different ideas about the job market or think that BIGLAWyers still bill 1700 hours, etc. You might have the theoretical knowledge that it's a brass ring but the vast majority of people reading this won't internalize it until long after they proudly tell all their friends "I'm going to X".

Oh yeah, I'm someone that *loved* law school and would pay twice the money to go again. I don't practice law and I'd have to be very starving and very unemployed indeed to go back. But other than the loans, which I'm taking care of through my useful LS-acquired skill of "playing cards on the Internet", I have no negative feelings about my LS, because I lived in a frat house and my t14 diploma at least looks pretty.

Most people can't say nearly as much. On top of paying lots of money to a school for a certification that is ~186/200ths likely to be worth less than the money you paid and that lets you do something you have no idea about right now, you're not even going to enjoy the experience. That makes you guys suckers, so while the attitude around here might be a bit too acerbic, it's pretty much spot on.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Walamor posted:

You come off like you're looking down on us from your high and mighty seat of knowledge of how it really works.

What do you think our motivation is? The motivation is pure, despite the tone of the message. It gets tiresome when snowflake after snowflake pops in and tries to explain why he or she is different and won't suffer the fate of many in this thread.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks to this thread, I trolled some SLS/HLS kids at a wedding yesterday. Yes, I realize they will probably have jobs but watching the pained expression on their faces when I told them I had heard some rumors of the legal job market not being what it used to be was pretty funny. One of them was wearing a bowtie. He deserved it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I strongly believe that those people need to be told how dumb they are because that was certainly my attitude towards law school and if someone had yelled at me and told me what an error I was making I'd probably be in a better spot right now.

The problem is that when you tell a person they are wrong they are more likely to assume they are right, ignoring all evidence to the contrary and running forward with their eyes shut. We're probably making the problem worse by telling people that going to law school is a bad decision, they "love the law" and "always wanted to be a lawyer" and "don't need to make $100k". Tell one of those people that they shouldn't and you're basically guaranteeing they'll go to law school.

I mean you can see it happening with Walamor and he's probably the 30th iteration of it in just this version of the thread. It's probably more harm than good, but at least in a couple years you can say I told you so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Walamor posted:

Also a lot of people in this thread seem to think everyone wanting to go to law school is an idiot who is right out of some liberal arts major
HEY quit ragging on liberal arts majors

we think the engineers going to law school are idiots too