Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

savinhill posted:

Why doesn't the new DiBiase grow a beard? The first one already sucks beyond the point of redemption, at least this new one would look more like his awesome father than his lovely brother.

This one has negative charisma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
He needs the beard even more.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

This ruled so hard, was there any fallout from him saying that?

Love how he gave himself the double-:ughh: right after he dropped it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Shitty_Wok posted:

What are some other great gaffes to come out of promos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4O-wDli0S4

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Shitty_Wok posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yP-T3ZCsg#t=1m30s

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
What are some DVDs with good alternate commentary(s) for matches?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shitty_Wok posted:

This ruled so hard, was there any fallout from him saying that?

Love how he gave himself the double-:ughh: right after he dropped it.

No, the best part is Sherri's massive :D after he says it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Stanfield posted:

Mick Foley and Kevin Kelly commentating on Kennel from Hell. I think it's on Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

reality_groove posted:

Mick Foley and Kevin Kelly commentating on Kennel from Hell. I think it's on Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops?

Yep that is like a MST commentary

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
ahhhahaha this one is amazing. I love all the shots of Vince's face as Hogan practically McGillicutties his way through the promo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Stanfield posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7OmP1FIHZM

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lone Rogue posted:

The truth is, Paul Heyman was honestly an incredibly flawed and limited promoter yet an occasionally genius booker ahead of his time who was able to book a territory extremely well to the point of cult status.

Almost nobody claims Heyman was a good promoter, they say he was good booker who got burned out and was horrible at the business end of promoting. Also they're two different roles that are often the same person. Remember, Vince during the 80s wasn't the booker. He was the promoter and Pat Patterson was the booker.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shitty_Wok posted:

Owen, in a backstage promo: "Right here, right now, next week, in the ring!"

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

reality_groove posted:

Classic lines including Mick Foley wondering what would happen if the dogs gave birth during the match and Foley also commenting that Snow picked his attire from the "Kmart collection"

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Never sure if Owen's botched promos were gaffes or ribs ...

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

The Berzerker posted:

"And that's why I kicked your leg out of your leg!"

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Stanfield posted:

Taz & Cole's alternate commentaries for the Japanese matches on the Benoit DVD are pretty good, as is Dreamer's commentary (with Coach I think) for the Dreamer vs Raven match on the Rise + Fall DVD (Taz & Cole's commentary for Taz vs Bam Bam is good too but really loving pointless), and the Foley & Coach commentary for Foley vs Sting is pretty fun.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Dreamer's commentary blows rear end.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Taz & Cole's alternate commentaries for the Japanese matches on the Benoit DVD are pretty good

The third dialogue track, with Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Todd Grisham, however, is not. Grisham seems to make it his goal to mispronounce every Japanese wrestler's name, and he makes Benoit and Malenko grow more and more flustered as the DVDs go on by asking them moronic questions.

The Great Sas-ukey!

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Not really the fault of Mean Gene but they aired the wrong take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VV0Dcj1zPI

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Taz & Cole's alternate commentaries for the Japanese matches on the Benoit DVD are pretty good, as is Dreamer's commentary (with Coach I think) for the Dreamer vs Raven match on the Rise + Fall DVD (Taz & Cole's commentary for Taz vs Bam Bam is good too but really loving pointless), and the Foley & Coach commentary for Foley vs Sting is pretty fun.

One of the Hogan DVDs had the Andre/Hogan Shea Stadium match with some good alt commentary by Cole and Tazz.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Survivor Series 06 has the finals from Survivor Series 89 commented by Cole and Tazz and I enjoyed it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Decade of Decadence has Edge and Striker commenting on a couple of his matches. It was as entertaining as you'd expect.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sotar posted:

Hearing Shiavone on WWE commentary is weird every single time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sotar posted:

Mean Gene bloopers are my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xTqaTmAbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_a8HJYAgXk#t=0m40s

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So I can see a lot of paralells between ECW and TNA, don't get me wrong *I consider ECW an infinitely superior product, but I do see similarities. The main difference I can see is ECW had fewer rescources and used it's limited rescources much more wisely.

Anyway, I am wide of my own point. What I want to know is if there ever was a time where ECW had a pretty similar attitudes towwards it andn reputation that TNA has today?

I've always got the impression that ECW never recieved such harsh criticisms because of it's essential point as wrestling counter culture in the late 90's - 2001 and thus was liked my the majority of savvy smarks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

So I can see a lot of paralells between ECW and TNA, don't get me wrong *I consider ECW an infinitely superior product, but I do see similarities. The main difference I can see is ECW had fewer rescources and used it's limited rescources much more wisely.

Anyway, I am wide of my own point. What I want to know is if there ever was a time where ECW had a pretty similar attitudes towwards it andn reputation that TNA has today?

I've always got the impression that ECW never recieved such harsh criticisms because of it's essential point as wrestling counter culture in the late 90's - 2001 and thus was liked my the majority of savvy smarks.

It never received the same level of criticism, although people did get pretty fed up with some of the decisions Heyman made in 2000 with Justin Credible and the Network. But the core fan base was still pretty loyal to the end and the overall view of the product was never as negative.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

The counter-culture to wrestling right now is basically ROH. TNA is just identified as an attempted resurrection of everything that was WCW, including all of its systemic problems.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I don't really see the TNA / ECW comparison. What ECW was know for was the innovation and popularization of a new style, attitude, and appearance of wrestling. I can think of few original ideas TNA has had.

ECW was, for all its flaws, new. TNA is a rehash. ECW was genuinely influential. TNA is a retirement home for WWE and WCW alumni with a couple of good performers thrown in.

Aside from the fact that both outlived their natural death, I don't see the comparison.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TNA had one ECW-like run. It was between Russo's booking tenures.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Both promotions were/are poo poo, and had/have a core audience that will ferociously defend said poo poo, so i would say yes, the similarities are definitely there

They both even out because ecw's angles weren't stale so they get the lead on that one, but tna gets the edge on match quality as quite a few meltzerfests took place there!

hth

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Mystery Opponent posted:

Both promotions were/are poo poo, and had/have a core audience that will ferociously defend said poo poo, so i would say yes, the similarities are definitely there

They both even out because ecw's angles weren't stale so they get the lead on that one, but tna gets the edge on match quality as quite a few meltzerfests took place there!

hth

I still maintain that ECW was popular amongst a group of people who never saw the product.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Lamuella posted:

ECW was, for all its flaws, new. TNA is a rehash. ECW was genuinely influential. TNA is a retirement home for WWE and WCW alumni with a couple of good performers thrown in.

TNA isn't exactly influential, but there were definately some times that TNA has been "indy and gently caress", and in a good way.

The World X Cup saw them bring in teams of foreign workers for a "World Tournament", and treated it like a big deal, that ran over multiple weeks, and had a coherant (for TNA) ranking system. They didn't even bloat the roster by hiring them, or re-packaging TNA workers under masks. It was all a genuinely exhibitional thing.

The cage match Dutch Mantel booked between Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle is arguably one of the most unique and exciting matches of the past decade. Even though TNA (and some fans) completely shat on this "new direction", I think this match probably has the potential to be influential. If anyone ever decides to seriously take Wrestling in a new direction (the same way ECW pushed wrestling in a new direction), then this is the match that the match that defines it.

Of course, it's all gone to hell now, but I think TNA always strived to be seen in the same light as ECW. They wanted fans to think "this is the new ECW. It's the new alternative", not necessarily by emulating the violent style, but by trying to create the same sort of "rebel edge", that made people say "gently caress WWE. Have you heard what this other promotion are doing?!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

I still maintain that ECW was popular amongst a group of people who never saw the product.

You're pretty much right. WWE 24/7 is ruining peoples perceptions of ECW. They get all excited to see what it was truly all about and then get bored watching Brian Lee brawl with Tommy Dreamer.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Why is it that pretty much every wrestling board is full of absolute poo poo? It's almost worse than youtube comments.

Is it something about the nature of wrestling fans or just the anonymity of the internet reaching out to all types of forums?

Note I'm for the most part talking about non-pay sites.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Wojtek posted:

Why is it that pretty much every wrestling board is full of absolute poo poo? It's almost worse than youtube comments.

Is it something about the nature of wrestling fans or just the anonymity of the internet reaching out to all types of forums?

A combination of the two. The greater internet fuckwhistle theory exists for a reason.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hearing Shiavone on WWE commentary is weird every single time.

Coincidentally, when I first started watching WWF, he was the main commentator, so it isn't all weird for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hockles posted:

Coincidentally, when I first started watching WWF, he was the main commentator, so it isn't all weird for me.

Yeah, I actually found it weirder to see Schiavone and Bobby Heenan on WCW back when it was airing, as they were "WWF guys" to me.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

A combination of the two. The greater internet fuckwhistle theory exists for a reason.
What is " The greater internet fuckwhistle theory" ? I've never heard of it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wojtek posted:

Its the same thing with any board. They all seem to bring out the worst and/or the craziest fans.