Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GirlBones posted:

wow, this website is fantastic! i just spent the last hour having fun adding games to my wishlist...

Then you'll end having 40 games or more like me without noticing :smithicide:...

...but gently caress that, i love gog.com and how they made me play again these games, wich now i enjoy much more than before :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Guillermus posted:

Then you'll end having 40 games or more like me without noticing :smithicide:...

...but gently caress that, i love gog.com and how they made me play again these games, wich now i enjoy much more than before :3:

I have 47 games and want to make it 50 just to have an even bookshelf.

That may be one of the saddest things I've ever said.

(the next three games will be Planescape and the I-War games later today though, so it's not like I'm buying crap)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like today I'm buying Blood and both I-War games.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Blood may ruin all other first person shooters for you forever, I give you fair warning.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to use mouselook in Blood without the vertical axis moving you forward and backward?

sethsez posted:

I have 47 games and want to make it 50 just to have an even bookshelf.

That may be one of the saddest things I've ever said.

(the next three games will be Planescape and the I-War games later today though, so it's not like I'm buying crap)

Crap, you just made me realize I have 31 games, Beneath a Steel Sky is just hanging out at the bottom all by itself.

Do you also raise and lower your volume in increments of 5?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

To be honest, out of the two chapters of Blood I've played, I was surprised how varied the levels were. They're pretty awesome.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to use mouselook in Blood without the vertical axis moving you forward and backward?

Crap, you just made me realize I have 31 games, Beneath a Steel Sky is just hanging out at the bottom all by itself.

Do you also raise and lower your volume in increments of 5?

There's a button that should be in the control settings somewhere called toggle mouselook or toggle mouse aiming, just press it and it'll stop you moving about when you use mouselook.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

poo poo, bought Blood. This better be good.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
So after getting into GoG properly a while back (Blame Planescape) and buying some more games during the community favorites promo, I seem to have accidentally become hooked. Spending all of my money on classic games seems to be a foregone conclusion now, so I'm going to grab what I can during the deals to try and save some of my precious student cash.

So, other than Blood, both of the I-War games and Master of Orion 1+2, which I've already decided I'm going to buy, does anyone have any other recommendations on which of the promo games I should pick up for cheap this week?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm sure I've asked this before and I'm sure it got answered but I am apparently dumb, so: Blood has source ports like eDuke and all that, right?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Zat posted:

It's worth it, trust me.

I do suggest rebinding the controls though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ansob. posted:

I'm sure I've asked this before and I'm sure it got answered but I am apparently dumb, so: Blood has source ports like eDuke and all that, right?

If memory serves, no, because although the game is for sale through GOG now, the source code is still tied up in legal hell and though there is at least one person from the original dev team who has it squirrelled away somewhere, he'd rather not toss it out there for fear of being sued.

God knows how GOG is able to get the rights to sell stuff like Planescape.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There have been attempts at building a new Blood engine from scratch, but none of them are really playable yet as far as I know.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zat posted:

It isnt just good, its one of the best games i've (and lots of goons will say the same) you will play, EVER.

If after vanilla game you feel that you need to kill more poo poo, as posted previously, Tecman made a golden quality pack for Blood:

http://blood.nanoaugur.net/ Really give it a try, theres TONS of new maps, content and poo poo that'll extend your game experience.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fuckkkkkk.
Why did I find this site.
Gonna fail everything so hard this semester.
:pcgaming1: <----- this is me right about now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

With blood remember to try the alt fire on all the weapons by pressing X. It makes the shotgun much more useful, and the tommygun alt fire is amazingly hilarious when used with guns akimbo.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Any tips for Master of Magic?

I've been playing Civ games all my life and something isn't clicking for me with this game...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Am I missing something with Blood? First off, there's like no ammo or health anywhere. Second, this game is hard as poo poo. I have to essentially save-state the entire game because around every corner is a cultist with a gun/tnt and I have either 4 bullets or a horrible pitchfork.

First level only so far, playing on the default difficulty (lightly broiled, or something).

Oh, and the zombie guys don't die unless you shoot them a bazillion times or use the pitchfork (which takes 5 hits) or tnt... annoying as all hell.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2010

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
gently caress in Arcanum, Magnus ran out on me when I told him to wait I think, or I'm just blind and can't find him in that loving ore golem cave...how do I track down a party member if they leave he was a mule with a bunch of poo poo i need.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Arc Impulse posted:

does anyone have any other recommendations on which of the promo games I should pick up for cheap this week?

Total Annihilation.

You get TA plus both expansion packs (Core Contingency and TA: Tactics). That right there is a LOT of game for only 5 bucks. Plus it's one of the best RTS games ever made so...

Edit: If you haven't played a skirmish match that lasted several days or even a week then you have never really played Total Annihilation.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Am I missing something with Blood? First off, there's like no ammo or health anywhere. Second, this game is hard as poo poo. I have to essentially save-state the entire game because around every corner is a cultist with a gun/tnt and I have either 4 bullets or a horrible pitchfork.

First level only so far, playing on the default difficulty (lightly broiled, or something).

One flare will kill any cultist or zombie, it just takes a second to ignite them. Also the first level is just tough.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Arc Impulse posted:

So after getting into GoG properly a while back (Blame Planescape) and buying some more games during the community favorites promo, I seem to have accidentally become hooked. Spending all of my money on classic games seems to be a foregone conclusion now, so I'm going to grab what I can during the deals to try and save some of my precious student cash.

So, other than Blood, both of the I-War games and Master of Orion 1+2, which I've already decided I'm going to buy, does anyone have any other recommendations on which of the promo games I should pick up for cheap this week?

Outcast and Total Annihilation would be the other two to pick up, along with Master of Magic if that's your sort of thing.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Speaking of Outcast, does anyone have a link to the high-res patch? The links are broken in the thread on GoG.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, if you don't already have TA, we're talking $4 for Total Annihilation, Core Contingency (the expansion, adds two more campaigns, lots of new units and maps and random cool poo poo like underwater bases) and Battle Tactics (just a map pack, but a big one). It would be an incredible deal at five times the price.

When you do get it, don't forget to install TA Mutation - it's a combination mod manager, conflict resolver and high res UI patch. Even if you don't plan to install any mods, it's worth installing for the build menu improvements at high resolutions and some of the mutators (Manouverable Boats and Enhanced Wind Generators in particular).

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

BigJoe posted:

Total Annihilation.

sethsez posted:

Outcast and Total Annihilation would be the other two to pick up, along with Master of Magic if that's your sort of thing.

Bought all of these ones as well then. Along with everything that I bought before this I'm probably guaranteed to be sitting playing all of this stuff for a long time. Thanks for the recommendations in any case, I don't want to miss out any of the better games that are on sale and end up kicking myself at a later date because of it after all.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I never realized how great the level design was in blood. They are generally themed levels, but the design really suits the gameplay well. Also, there aren't that many varied enemies, but their placement and attacks really give you something to think about. I'm on the second episode in overlooked hotel and finding it's really not just a duke 3d clone. Sorry I put it off for so long, Blood.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

synertia posted:

I never realized how great the level design was in blood. They are generally themed levels, but the design really suits the gameplay well. Also, there aren't that many varied enemies, but their placement and attacks really give you something to think about. I'm on the second episode in overlooked hotel and finding it's really not just a duke 3d clone. Sorry I put it off for so long, Blood.

gently caress those grim reaper assholes though :argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Overwined posted:

Speaking of Outcast, does anyone have a link to the high-res patch? The links are broken in the thread on GoG.

Yeah, I was wanting to find this link again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
All right, I wasn't really interested in or planning to get Blood, but you guys have talked it up so much I picked it up. Will report back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PrinnySquadron posted:

gently caress those grim reaper assholes though :argh:

When I was younger, I couldn't finish Blood because of them.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

guppy posted:

All right, I wasn't really interested in or planning to get Blood, but you guys have talked it up so much I picked it up. Will report back.

I'd highly recommend, as I have before, remapping the controls to WASD if you're more used to that. it really increased my enjoyment of the game. The control set-up is in the game folder.

The MSJ posted:

When I was younger, I couldn't finish Blood because of them.
That loving screeching.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Overwined posted:

These are two that were made by a user on GOG.COM who edited it to work with even higher resolutions, but are mainly designed best for 640x480.

http://bit.ly/aG2xLF Visor edition

http://bit.ly/aye3GM No Visor edition

vvvvv Thanks for pointing that out. Re-edited it. vvvvv

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 10, 2010

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Entorwellian posted:

These are two that were made by a user on GOG.COM who edited it to work with even higher resolutions, but are mainly designed best for 640x480.

http://bit.ly/aG2xLF No Visor edition

http://bit.ly/aye3GM Visor edition

You're the best! Thank you. FYI you reversed the descriptions.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here's the official page of I-War mods, so far as I can tell:

http://www.i-war2.com/downloads.htm

Can anyone provide a good guide as to which (if any) of these are must-haves?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hooray, the classic Might and Magic series!

I have literally been buying packages of them every few years ever since their golden age had passed, and none of them, including the platinum edition, ever seemed to have all the games work on my machine. If this will actually work on a modern Vista/7 era dell, it will be more than worth it.

They have Creatures, too. gently caress Spore and gently caress the Sims, these were REAL AI creature simulation games. The games are beautiful, run well on modern machines and for those who are looking for a raising critter sandbox thing that actually includes "digital DNA", it's definitely worth trying out. You have to teach them to eat and speak, can breed them for mutations in color or abilities such as water breathing, and they are even capable of (very) rudimentary thinking. I would recommend starting with Exodus/3 because even if the other worlds felt a bit more fun, they hammered out a lot of the frustrating AI issues in the previous games.

Sie
Apr 26, 2009

All the love directed at Blood in the thread is making me want to buy it but is it worth picking up Blood 2 as well?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sie posted:

All the love directed at Blood in the thread is making me want to buy it but is it worth picking up Blood 2 as well?
No, a million times, no.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Sie posted:

I picked it think "can't be that bad, right?"

I can't get past the first two levels because it keeps crashing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

I got blood 2 on gog.com because of that "collectors" impulse buys but i played it on launch and it wasnt even close to the original, has some fun stuff but you can avoid it safely unless you want to buy it for keep on your list like me :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PrinnySquadron posted:

Oh cool, sounds like exactly how it was when my housemate bought it on launch.

Seriously, it doesn't hold a candle to the first one. It's just not fun.