Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SmirkingJack posted:

The problem is that I can't SSH into it :(

Is there any chance it may have picked up a different address on the network? Does your router have a device list you can check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SmirkingJack posted:

The problem is that I can't SSH into it :(

Try 8.1-RELEASE :)

Kernel: http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/8.1-RELEASE/DOCKSTAR.bin.page
USB image: http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/8.1-RELEASE/8.1-RELEASE.img.gz

You'll need to update your boot command after flashing the new kernel, since it's a bit larger than RC2's:
code:
/usr/local/cloudengines/bin/blparam "bootcmd_usb=nand read.e 900000 0x2500000 0x3A9000; go 900000"
I can definitely SSH into mine on the first boot:
code:
[nicole@Emi#/home/nicole]ssh root@192.168.1.116
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.116 (192.168.1.116)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 9a:17:17:32:9f:a3:06:70:31:82:1c:09:aa:77:7e:61.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.116' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password:
Last login: Sun Aug  8 21:43:02 2010
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE (DOCKSTAR) #27: Wed Aug  4 14:21:57 EDT 2010

Heya cutie <3
pochan#
My Dockstar is now my home router / server:

Click here for the full 2048x1458 image.

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 11, 2010

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Only Shallow posted:

Try 8.1-RELEASE :)

Kernel: http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/8.1-RELEASE/DOCKSTAR.bin.page
USB image: http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/8.1-RELEASE/8.1-RELEASE.img.gz

You'll need to update your boot command after flashing the new kernel, since it's a bit larger than RC2's:
code:
/usr/local/cloudengines/bin/blparam "bootcmd_usb=nand read.e 900000 0x2500000 0x38E000; go 900000"
I can definitely SSH into mine on the first boot:
code:
[nicole@Emi#/home/nicole]ssh root@192.168.1.116
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.116 (192.168.1.116)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 9a:17:17:32:9f:a3:06:70:31:82:1c:09:aa:77:7e:61.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.116' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password:
Last login: Sun Aug  8 21:43:02 2010
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE (DOCKSTAR) #27: Wed Aug  4 14:21:57 EDT 2010

Heya cutie <3
pochan#

It might have gotten a new address, but it's pretty unlikely. I am trying to set it up here at work so I'll ask the network guys, though I should just take it home and play with it there.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Anyone have a good source for Dockstars? I've had some people ask me where to get them. Sadly Buy.com is not longer selling them for $25. :(

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Only Shallow posted:

How's the performance? Can it keep up with a fast cable modem connection with that USB interface?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SamDabbers posted:

How's the performance? Can it keep up with a fast cable modem connection with that USB interface?

It seems to keep up with my relatively slow 12/3 Comcast connection. There are Kirkwood machines with two onboard network ports if you're concerned.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Addendum: The aue device pictured (the Belkin) seems to top out at 5mbps either direction.

I have an unbranded axe device, however, that gets the proper speeds:

I've seen people on the mailing lists praise Linksys aue devices for their throughput, so it's probably just Belkin being lovely.

I was bitten by a bug in axe that makes the interface stop working after a certain amount of traffic has been passed. See this thread and this PR. I recompiled my kernel using the updated axe source from here, and it's been working fine for several hours. Grab my kernel again if you plan to use one of these devices. Let's hope I didn't jinx it :ohdear:

Lastly, is their any way I can make ALTQ account for the 5MiB of upload Powerboost I get? I have it set up with these rules but am kind of a PF noob:

code:
altq on $extIF hfsc bandwidth 3Mb queue { dns, ack, ssh, http, bulk, p2p }

queue ack               bandwidth 30% priority 8 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 20%)
queue dns               bandwidth  5% priority 7 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 5%)
queue ssh               bandwidth 20% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 20%) {ssh_login, ssh_bulk}
queue ssh_login         bandwidth 50% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc
queue ssh_bulk          bandwidth 50% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc
queue bulk              bandwidth 20% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime 20% default)
queue http              bandwidth  5% priority 4 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime (10%, 10000, 5%) )
queue p2p               bandwidth  1% priority 2 qlimit 500 hfsc (upperlimit 95%)

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 11, 2010

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah, that's why I'm weary about using USB Ethernet devices on CPU limited hardware. A USB NIC will always use more cycles than a PCI/onboard one. What does the CPU peg at while maxing your connection?

I have the Comcast 16/2 tier and for simplicity and predictable queueing I just shape at 2Mbit. The "Powerboost" seems to happen per TCP session, which makes it nearly impossible to work with using ALTQ.
code:
altq on $ext_if hfsc bandwidth 2Mb queue { acks_out, voice_out, crit_out, interact_out, std_out, bulk_out, p2p_out }
  queue acks_out     bandwidth 15% priority 7 hfsc (realtime 15%)
  queue voice_out    bandwidth 15% priority 6 hfsc (realtime 15%)
  queue crit_out     bandwidth  5% priority 5 hfsc (realtime 5%)
  queue interact_out bandwidth 25% priority 4 qlimit 100 hfsc (realtime 20%)
  queue std_out      bandwidth 25% priority 3 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime(20%, 10000, 15%) default red)
  queue bulk_out     bandwidth  5% priority 1 qlimit 500 hfsc (red)
  queue p2p_out      bandwidth  1% priority 0 qlimit 500 hfsc (upperlimit 95% ecn)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SamDabbers posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm weary about using USB Ethernet devices on CPU limited hardware. A USB NIC will always use more cycles than a PCI/onboard one. What does the CPU peg at while maxing your connection?

Click here for the full 1402x1061 image.

quote:

which makes it nearly impossible to work with using ALTQ.

That's what I feared. Oh well.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've got a VIA C7 on a janky Jetway board that panics in FBSD 6.2 and 8.1 when powerd tries to throttle the CPU. It's using ACPI but I think it crashed when I ran without ACPI too. Regardless, where would I start to debug this? Do I need to start debugging AML or is there a more sane way of resolving this?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

I've got a VIA C7 on a janky Jetway board that panics in FBSD 6.2 and 8.1 when powerd tries to throttle the CPU. It's using ACPI but I think it crashed when I ran without ACPI too. Regardless, where would I start to debug this? Do I need to start debugging AML or is there a more sane way of resolving this?

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the motherboard. ACPI implementations get fixed all the time. I presume you really need power saving states, so disabling powerd is out of the question.

Does FreeBSD have the capability to patch the DSDT tables, like Linux? http://blog.stuart.shelton.me/archives/124

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm trying to figure out how to mount a fat drive through fstab so my normal user can use it. Spoilers appreciated, since I've tried every combination of "rw,-m=777" I could possibly think of.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

LooseChanj posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a fat drive through fstab so my normal user can use it. Spoilers appreciated, since I've tried every combination of "rw,-m=777" I could possibly think of.

did you try "uid=XXX,gid=XXX" in the mount options?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

feld posted:

did you try "uid=XXX,gid=XXX" in the mount options?

Hmm, that doesn't get me an error, but it doesn't give my user r/w permissions either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LooseChanj posted:

Hmm, that doesn't get me an error, but it doesn't give my user r/w permissions either.

What error are you getting?

It's not as simple as the permissions of the mount point being wrong, is it?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

It's not as simple as the permissions of the mount point being wrong, is it?

Could be, it's just "/mnt/C", created by root.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Just updated to version 0.5.3 of SABnzbdplus, (http://www.freshports.org/news/sabnzbdplus/)

and fixed a couple of package problems with cherrypy by reinstalling, but it still can't launch and gets the following error :

code:
hydra# SABnzbd.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/SABnzbd.py", line 63, in <module>
    import sabnzbd
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/__init__.py", line 66, in <module>
    import sabnzbd.nzbqueue as nzbqueue
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/nzbqueue.py", line 37, in <module>
    import sabnzbd.assembler
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/assembler.py", line 40, in <module>
    import sabnzbd.postproc
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/postproc.py", line 41, in <module>
    import sabnzbd.emailer as emailer
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/emailer.py", line 218, in <module>
    from email.Message import Message
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/email.py", line 39, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name SplitHost

Anyone else having issues?

EDIT:

Ok if you go and clean out

/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sabnzbd/*

Manually, THEN make reinstall clean the port, it works fine.

Will remember this in the future :)

roadhead fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 28, 2010

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
OpenBSD 4.8 pre-orders are up. If you pre-order now the CD set should arrive before the official release date of Novemeber 1st. The big feature for 4.8 is suspend-resume for ACPI laptops. If you haven't tried OpenBSD in the last year or so then you'll also find the installer (still text-based) to be much improved.

Theo de Raadt posted:

OpenBSD 4.8 can now be pre-ordered. The release date will be Nov 1.
As usual, the CDs will ship a bit before the official release.

http://www.openbsd.org/48.html

Some of the webpage content does not yet show what is coming in 4.8.
Please be patient with us as we try to add those details. (Many of
you already know the real shining achievement for the release is
suspend-resume for ACPI-based laptops, but there are many other
things).

Pre-orders are up at the North American order site, as well as the
European site:

http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

or directly to:

https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order
http://www.openbsdeurope.com/

This release has no tshirt. The main reason is that the release
artwork didn't go nicely onto a tshirt which could "stand on it's
own"; we also failed to design a non-release related piece of art as
an alternative. We would be very happy if people bought some of the
older tshirts though! Next release, there will be a tshirt again.

I am also making the song available at the same time. As usual, that
page contains a taste of the release artwork.

http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

roadhead posted:

Just updated to version 0.5.3 of SABnzbdplus, (http://www.freshports.org/news/sabnzbdplus/)

But 0.5.4 is already in ports :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone ever converted a program over from POSIX-style timers to BSD-style timers?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We had some data recovered from a Free Nas setup that failed into a UFS partition on an external drive. Somehow, an empty NTFS partition has gotten placed on top of the UFS partition. The data should be fine since no files have been written. I've done this before with other partition types but I'm a little lost with UFS. Any ideas?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There's a replacement bootloader available for the Dockstar that lets you load the FreeBSD kernel from USB instead of fussing with mtd3 and OS-cycling.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

http://www.1saleaday.com/ (a woot clone) has a dockstar available today for 23 bucks shipped

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 29, 2010

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

EvilMoFo posted:

http://www.1saleaday.com/ (a woot clone) has a dockstar available today for 23 bucks shipped

I keep getting errors when attempting to check out. Here I was hoping to have a neat little FreeBSD thing to play with.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I keep getting errors when attempting to check out. Here I was hoping to have a neat little FreeBSD thing to play with.
I got an error once, hit back button and tried again. It worked the second time...hopefully I didn't just buy two.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

FasterThanLight posted:

I got an error once, hit back button and tried again. It worked the second time...hopefully I didn't just buy two.

I sent them an email and got a reply back saying their ordering system is having issues and to use Paypal to place an order. gently caress Paypal.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Goon Matchmaker posted:

gently caress Paypal.

Join the train!

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Porting from the tech haus forum:

I'm trying to boot a live freebsd iso directly from USB so I can install it on any computer I plug it into, but I don't grub4dos doesn't seem to want to load it.

I can entre the BTX loader but freebsd claims it "can't work out which disk we re booting from, guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

can't load 'kernel'

Does anyone know how to resolve this error? Is this something with FreeBSD or a grub4dos directive that I'm missing to specify disks?

Also, should I be booting freebsd as an iso (which I prefer) or should I be extracting it.

I guess what I'm really requesting is a menu.lst example of the freebsd live iso direct boot entry or the extracted iso entry. Anything to get freebsd to boot off a usb key will do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You just dd the .iso to the USB drive (format it first, not sure if it matters but I always do). If you have a Ubuntu or Fedora box you should be able to use the USB creator tool to make it. You don't want to extract the ISO or anything like that.

You're using the 8.1-RELEASE-MEMSTICK.IMG or whatever it's called, right?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

iirc, this works on the usb drive I have loaded with this
code:
title FreeBSD 8.1 x86
find --set-root /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
map --mem /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

Megaman
May 8, 2004

EvilMoFo posted:

code:
title FreeBSD 8.1 x86
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

That did it, minus the --mem

Swear that's what I had...maybe it was the (hd32) instead of (hd0,0) or (0xff) that allowed it to boot, but I'm not sure why that is because they should all do the same thing.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there a BSD install that works with ZFS that is more along the lines of running Ubuntu, or at least an installer that sorta dumbs it down at least a little?

I'm pretty loving intimidated by all the lack of explanation in the FreeBSD 8.1 installer, and I can't even figure out if I'm putting it on the right hard drive or if I'm going to nuke my windows/ubuntu install doing it.

eborp
Apr 23, 2007

Installing FreeBSD through a PC-BSD install is a bit easier, but I don't think it is anywhere close to as GUI based as an Ubuntu install. You still have to manually set up your partition, swap and such configurations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Telex posted:

is there a BSD install that works with ZFS that is more along the lines of running Ubuntu, or at least an installer that sorta dumbs it down at least a little?

I'm pretty loving intimidated by all the lack of explanation in the FreeBSD 8.1 installer, and I can't even figure out if I'm putting it on the right hard drive or if I'm going to nuke my windows/ubuntu install doing it.

The first 2-3 times you install it, it can be intimidating. But after that, you'll be spoiled by how fast the install goes and how little it interferes with what you want to do.

Just read the handbook while you're installing and keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/install-start.html

Megaman
May 8, 2004

EvilMoFo posted:

code:
title FreeBSD 8.1 x86
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

So now I have another question, I get it booted up but when I go to apply the partition information and install the base it gives me "cannot install from [insert whatever USB disk I'm using]" It cannot find the USB key that I have the iso on. This is when I select "install from DOS partition". When I select "install from USB key it thinks I have no USB key installed. Do you have any fix for this?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

code:

Oct  2 05:00:00 hydra newsyslog[30326]: logfile turned over due to size>100K
Oct  2 11:51:00 hydra sshd[31151]: Invalid user oracle from 59.49.16.199
Oct  2 11:51:03 hydra sshd[31153]: Invalid user test from 59.49.16.199
Oct  2 11:52:24 hydra sshd[31185]: Invalid user oracle from 125.65.207.10
Oct  2 11:52:27 hydra sshd[31187]: Invalid user test from 125.65.207.10
Oct  2 13:00:47 hydra sshd[31364]: Invalid user oracle from 218.28.36.235
Oct  2 13:00:51 hydra sshd[31366]: Invalid user test from 218.28.36.235
Oct  3 01:02:04 hydra sshd[32816]: Did not receive identification string from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:17 hydra sshd[32819]: Invalid user admin from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:19 hydra sshd[32821]: Invalid user test from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:23 hydra sshd[32825]: Invalid user ghost from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:28 hydra sshd[32831]: Invalid user guest from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:30 hydra sshd[32833]: Invalid user ghost from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:32 hydra sshd[32835]: Invalid user magnos from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:38 hydra sshd[32841]: Invalid user aaron from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:45 hydra sshd[32843]: Invalid user jun from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:47 hydra sshd[32845]: Invalid user rebecca from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:49 hydra sshd[32847]: Invalid user einstein from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:51 hydra sshd[32849]: Invalid user anna from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:53 hydra sshd[32851]: Invalid user sara from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:57 hydra sshd[32855]: Invalid user magnos from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:01 hydra sshd[32859]: Invalid user amy from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:03 hydra sshd[32861]: Invalid user amy from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:17 hydra sshd[32867]: Invalid user tracy from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:20 hydra sshd[32871]: Invalid user controller from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:24 hydra sshd[32875]: Invalid user emily from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:31 hydra sshd[32879]: Invalid user backuppc from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:33 hydra sshd[32881]: Invalid user backuppc from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:47 hydra sshd[32893]: Invalid user amavisd from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:49 hydra sshd[32895]: Invalid user edu from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:51 hydra sshd[32897]: Invalid user edu from 202.213.156.232

Uhh, so this has been going on for like, almost a year, looking at my /var/log/auth.log - good thing I only have 2 user accounts on the box, both have excellent passwords, but drat.

Freaks me out not noticing this sooner. No more letting SSHD listen on the default port!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

roadhead posted:

code:

Oct  2 05:00:00 hydra newsyslog[30326]: logfile turned over due to size>100K
Oct  2 11:51:00 hydra sshd[31151]: Invalid user oracle from 59.49.16.199
Oct  2 11:51:03 hydra sshd[31153]: Invalid user test from 59.49.16.199
Oct  2 11:52:24 hydra sshd[31185]: Invalid user oracle from 125.65.207.10
Oct  2 11:52:27 hydra sshd[31187]: Invalid user test from 125.65.207.10
Oct  2 13:00:47 hydra sshd[31364]: Invalid user oracle from 218.28.36.235
Oct  2 13:00:51 hydra sshd[31366]: Invalid user test from 218.28.36.235
Oct  3 01:02:04 hydra sshd[32816]: Did not receive identification string from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:17 hydra sshd[32819]: Invalid user admin from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:19 hydra sshd[32821]: Invalid user test from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:23 hydra sshd[32825]: Invalid user ghost from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:28 hydra sshd[32831]: Invalid user guest from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:30 hydra sshd[32833]: Invalid user ghost from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:32 hydra sshd[32835]: Invalid user magnos from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:38 hydra sshd[32841]: Invalid user aaron from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:45 hydra sshd[32843]: Invalid user jun from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:47 hydra sshd[32845]: Invalid user rebecca from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:49 hydra sshd[32847]: Invalid user einstein from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:51 hydra sshd[32849]: Invalid user anna from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:53 hydra sshd[32851]: Invalid user sara from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:02:57 hydra sshd[32855]: Invalid user magnos from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:01 hydra sshd[32859]: Invalid user amy from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:03 hydra sshd[32861]: Invalid user amy from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:17 hydra sshd[32867]: Invalid user tracy from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:20 hydra sshd[32871]: Invalid user controller from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:24 hydra sshd[32875]: Invalid user emily from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:31 hydra sshd[32879]: Invalid user backuppc from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:33 hydra sshd[32881]: Invalid user backuppc from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:47 hydra sshd[32893]: Invalid user amavisd from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:49 hydra sshd[32895]: Invalid user edu from 202.213.156.232
Oct  3 01:03:51 hydra sshd[32897]: Invalid user edu from 202.213.156.232

Uhh, so this has been going on for like, almost a year, looking at my /var/log/auth.log - good thing I only have 2 user accounts on the box, both have excellent passwords, but drat.

Freaks me out not noticing this sooner. No more letting SSHD listen on the default port!

There are other ways to go about it other than changing the default port. You'll just get scanned and then they'll try that port anyway.

Change to keys instead of interactive logins, for one.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

There are other ways to go about it other than changing the default port. You'll just get scanned and then they'll try that port anyway.

You would be right with a dedicated attack, but I think these are lazy Chinese hackers with a collection of pilfered user/pass combos just hammering every box out there that answers on port 22. Expanding that to scanning all ports on every IP for listening services multiples the required traffic about 65,536 times.

I'll definitely be checking the auth.log more often, and if they do bother to discover the new port, additional measures will be taken.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

And even if you don't, you'll be fine if you have halfway decent passwords. This stuff goes on all the time, its really not anything to worry about. They're not even using stolen passwords, just dictionary attacks.

If it bothers you, just use keys instead of security by obscurity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You can use PF stateful options like max-src-conn-rate to frustrate these dictionary attacks.

• Locked thread