Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

For Blood:

Is it possible to make the right mouse button alt fire and the scroll wheel scroll through weapons? zDoom spoils me.

You can change the mouse buttons around in the setup.exe program, but as far as I know there's no support for the mouse wheel at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

You have a big open universe that generates lots of ships flying everywhere (but not actually doing anything meaningful like in the X games) and you fly to certain places to trigger missions that have been sent to you via email.

Kind of a shame. While it's not a universe erupting in richness (at least, in the small amount I've played so far), it has an elegant feel that could use the depth of an economy model, a war with a shifting front, or at least little generated personalities working for themselves. Now, there's a game.

Basically, I want the best bits of Space Rangers 2 Reboot bolted on top of this engine.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Is anyone else having an issue purchasing from this site? :( I have tried 3 different credit cards tied to different banks, Paypal, and 2 different PCs but keep getting the same "There was an error processing your request" statement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Kind of a shame. While it's not a universe erupting in richness (at least, in the small amount I've played so far), it has an elegant feel that could use the depth of an economy model, a war with a shifting front, or at least little generated personalities working for themselves. Now, there's a game.

Basically, I want the best bits of Space Rangers 2 Reboot bolted on top of this engine.
To be honest, I've had enough of space trading and similar shenanigans. I don't want to set up a corporate trading empire, I don't even want to ferry goods back and forth myself. I actually thought about this a few days ago. No space sim puts an even slight amount of effort into plot. I don't care if it turns into a super linear game, in fact I'd probably prefer that to an open 'world'. I want the Call of Duty of Space Sims, basically. Incredibly solid combat with crazy set pieces. I want Freespace 3, more or less. C'mon, Volition, you fucks!

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be honest, I've had enough of space trading and similar shenanigans. I don't want to set up a corporate trading empire, I don't even want to ferry goods back and forth myself. I actually thought about this a few days ago. No space sim puts an even slight amount of effort into plot. I don't care if it turns into a super linear game, in fact I'd probably prefer that to an open 'world'. I want the Call of Duty of Space Sims, basically. Incredibly solid combat with crazy set pieces. I want Freespace 3, more or less. C'mon, Volition, you fucks!
I want Freespace 3 as much as the next guy, but off the top of my head I can think of way more linear story-focused space sims than "open world" ones, even if Freespace 2 did set pieces better than the competition.

And on that note, GOG needs to get Star Crusader.

It's weird though, given that HAWX did well enough to spawn a sequel and Ace Combat a whole franchise, I don't get why noone outside of Germany is interested in making the space version.

Threep fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 11, 2010

Sie
Apr 26, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

For Blood:

Is it possible to make the right mouse button alt fire and the scroll wheel scroll through weapons? zDoom spoils me.

It's possible to make the right mouse button alt fire but not possible to make the mouse wheel scroll weapons (as far as I'm aware).

Use the external setup utility that was installed alongside the game by the Gog installer (check your windows start menu for it)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Also how do I play IceWind Dale multiplayer with out it crashing like gently caress!?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you have a 360, try Sylpheed. It has some terrible Square/Enix cutscenes (you can skip them), but the ship is ridiculously nimble and powerful, and there are tons of capital ships in some of the battles. Play it on Hard though, as you'll get more funds to research weapons.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Off the top of my head (and with the caveat that I haven't played all of these), I can think of the following mostly-linear story-driven space sims: both I-War games, both Freespace games, all five mainline Wing Commander games, Tachyon: the Fringe, Starlancer, Starshatter, and Dark Horizon.

Falling somewhere in the middle are Privateer 1 and 2.

And then on the mostly-sandbox-little-plot side of things, we have, um, the three X games and Elite.

There's actually been a fair amount of story-driven space sims since Freespace. They just don't see a lot of publicity.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So uh, I know jackshit about D&D character creation and took some of the advice in this thread for creating a party appropriate for Icewind Dale. Someone said to create a fighter/thief because "you'll max out your thief abilities soon enough," so I created a multi-class guy. But I gather now perhaps I was supposed to create a "dual-class" character instead.

Did I just seriously hinder my game? I'm noticing he takes ages to level up compared to other characters. I gather all his experience is split between the two classes.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

teethgrinder posted:

So uh, I know jackshit about D&D character creation and took some of the advice in this thread for creating a party appropriate for Icewind Dale. Someone said to create a fighter/thief because "you'll max out your thief abilities soon enough," so I created a multi-class guy. But I gather now perhaps I was supposed to create a "dual-class" character instead.

Did I just seriously hinder my game? I'm noticing he takes ages to level up compared to other characters. I gather all his experience is split between the two classes.

Humans are the only race that can dual class, all others multi-class instead. I don't see the big deal with a multiclass fighter/thief, it just means your thieving will be a little better and your fighter skills a little worse. You are correct on the split experience, but then that's to be expected when you get double the level-ups that other classes do. I wouldn't sweat it.

Really, the stock advice of "a couple of beefy front line characters, at least one or two healers, a offensive caster, and then fluff" will do just fine. Once you get comfortable with that starter party, you can mix it up however you like on later playthroughs. I feel IWD has a lot of replayability value with all the different combinations you can do.

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 11, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Ok. Icewind Dale works now BUUUUUUT...

Every time my friend talks to someone it interrupts me and vice-versa. How do we stop this? If my friend wants to get quests cool but I don't want to deal with that when I'm trying to shop.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Off the top of my head (and with the caveat that I haven't played all of these), I can think of the following mostly-linear story-driven space sims: both I-War games, both Freespace games, all five mainline Wing Commander games, Tachyon: the Fringe, Starlancer, Starshatter, and Dark Horizon.

Falling somewhere in the middle are Privateer 1 and 2.

And then on the mostly-sandbox-little-plot side of things, we have, um, the three X games and Elite.

There's actually been a fair amount of story-driven space sims since Freespace. They just don't see a lot of publicity.

I'm running with a multiclass fighter/thief myself and it works just fine. Best bet with them is either make them elves for the dex boost and turn them into arrow slinging machines or run another race and use them as a melee. For the latter, I advise you turn on the sneak attack option in lieu of backstab, since it doesn't require stealth to use and gives you a fun twist on the usual frontliner where in you circle behind the lines and start chain shanking.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I know this is slightly off topic, but where can I get the TOEE Fan patches? I looked arouand and only found some site that has the main official patches but I have no idea where to get the fan ones. All this IWD talk made me grab it and want to play it fully patched.

Edit: Is this it?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack/downloads/circle-of-eight-modpack-592-nc-beta
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A note on IWar 1, I was able to easily upscale the graphics by quite a bit with a relatively simple fix, noted here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/independence_war_series/almost_as_good_as_dgvoodoo/page1

No need to install anything nutty or do any extensive tweaking. Went from 640x480 all the way up to 1280x1024 or so. Huge difference.

vvv maybe try updating your drivers? see: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/independence_war_series/new_nvidia_beta_drivers_with_possible_fix_for_iw2_rendering_problems

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 11, 2010

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Does Independence War 2 have a problem with modern systems? It runs a few frames at a time and has all these graphical artifacts.

I'm running Win7 64-bit with an i5-760 and nvidia gtx 460 1gb.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Man, wonder if they'll ever manage to get Bullfrog's softwagrophy up. People remember Populous/Dungeon Keeper/Magic Carpet, right?!

Right?!!

Aristokles
Oct 5, 2010

by angerbot

MoaM posted:

Man, wonder if they'll ever manage to get Bullfrog's softwagrophy up. People remember Populous/Dungeon Keeper/Magic Carpet, right?!

Right?!!

Populous II was one of the greatest games ever made, bar none, and Dungeon Keeper gets name-dropped in a good number of threads here.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MoaM posted:

Right?!!
It all depends on EA signing an agreement with GOG.

I think I still have Populus II on a CD in a binder somewhere.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GoldenNugget posted:

Does Independence War 2 have a problem with modern systems? It runs a few frames at a time and has all these graphical artifacts.

Go to the settings and turn the shader slider all the way down

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GoldenNugget posted:

Modern nvidia cards have trouble with the game, however the latest beta drivers specifically include stuff that improves several older game's performance, including I-War 2. So get em.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mandrill posted:

I know this is slightly off topic, but where can I get the TOEE Fan patches? I looked arouand and only found some site that has the main official patches but I have no idea where to get the fan ones. All this IWD talk made me grab it and want to play it fully patched.

Edit: Is this it?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack/downloads/circle-of-eight-modpack-592-nc-beta
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

That should be them, yeah

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Really enjoying blood, though the control scheme is confusing. The levels seem to be designed with mouselook in mind, the demo is clearly played with (horizontal only) mouselook, yet I had to spend a long time getting it going properly (didn't know about the included gog utility), and it still feels kinda dodgy.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Amethyst posted:

Really enjoying blood, though the control scheme is confusing. The levels seem to be designed with mouselook in mind, the demo is clearly played with (horizontal only) mouselook, yet I had to spend a long time getting it going properly (didn't know about the included gog utility), and it still feels kinda dodgy.

Be sure to toggle mouse aim by pressing U (assuming you didn't change it) if you feel the need to look up and down.

Yes, I bought Blood, too, in the spirit of the upcoming holiday (Columbus Day.)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Amethyst posted:

you can configure a key to toggle mouse look. It's still very awkward though. Turning off the slope tilting helps a bit too.

The game itself is incredibly fun though. I really enjoy how shamelessly violent the game is and all the weapons are satisfyingly powerful. Just got through the carnival and it was fun as hell. Why can't people make games like this, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and Quake anymore?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
For the folks that aren't grabbing my Launcher compilation (I know, it's a bitch to install and it's still using an old Dosbox build... I'm working on an update/installer but it's taking a lot of time due to custom copying of files and a redesign of the mods section...) but want superior mouse controls, Mark Dochtermann/SwissCM wrote an awesome loader application that improves it quite a bit.

http://swisscm.duke4.net/ and click Downloads. And yes, the site's design owns. :)

Once you unzip the file into your Blood folder you need to change your .conf files, scroll all the way down in the following files once you've opened them with something like Notepad:

dosboxBlood.conf -> BLOOD.EXE and change this to BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.EXE
dosboxBlood_addon.conf -> CRYPTIC.EXE and change this to BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH CRYPTIC.EXE

Then open up Blood.cfg in Notepad as well and look for the following: "ControllerType = 1" (Keyboard and Mouse). Change that to "ControllerType = 3" (Keyboard and External)

You may have to permanently invert the inverted look by setting "MouseAnalogScale1 = 65536" to "MouseAnalogScale1 = -65536" as well.

Sorry if i've forgotten anything, you also have an instructions file in the BMouse06.zip file.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Tecman posted:

For the folks that aren't grabbing my Launcher compilation (I know, it's a bitch to install and it's still using an old Dosbox build... I'm working on an update/installer but it's taking a lot of time due to custom copying of files and a redesign of the mods section...) but want superior mouse controls, Mark Dochtermann/SwissCM wrote an awesome loader application that improves it quite a bit.

http://swisscm.duke4.net/ and click Downloads. And yes, the site's design owns. :)

Once you unzip the file into your Blood folder you need to change your .conf files, scroll all the way down in the following files once you've opened them with something like Notepad:

dosboxBlood.conf -> BLOOD.EXE and change this to BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.EXE
dosboxBlood_addon.conf -> CRYPTIC.EXE and change this to BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH CRYPTIC.EXE

Then open up Blood.cfg in Notepad as well and look for the following: "ControllerType = 1" (Keyboard and Mouse). Change that to "ControllerType = 3" (Keyboard and External)

You may have to permanently invert the inverted look by setting "MouseAnalogScale1 = 65536" to "MouseAnalogScale1 = -65536" as well.

Sorry if i've forgotten anything, you also have an instructions file in the BMouse06.zip file.

hah I thought I was using bmouse correctly but I didn't know about the second conf. What is cryptic.exe?

EDIT: whoa, now that it's working properly the difference is huge!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

What is cryptic.exe?
It's the executable for the first of the two expansions to Blood, Cryptic Passage (aka Episode 5). The second expansion is within Blood, named Post Mortem (Episode 6).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Modern nvidia cards have trouble with the game, however the latest beta drivers specifically include stuff that improves several older game's performance, including I-War 2. So get em.

Yeah, reiterating this:

If you have I-War 2 and a newer Nvidia card, GET THE LATEST BETA DRIVERS. Otherwise it'll be a glitched-out mess.

ATI people are fine, though.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
With regards to I-War 2, how on earth do you do the last mission? Back in the day I naver managed to complete it :mad:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gender illusionist posted:

With regards to I-War 2, how on earth do you do the last mission? Back in the day I naver managed to complete it :mad:

It's pretty easy. Just burn towards every enemy that appears and kill them without getting too close. It is a long and irritating mission but it's also atmospheric and fits in with where the story is.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
Since dosbox runs on macs i`m curious if there is any way to get the older games from gog.com to run on a mac, has anyone tried that?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hankor posted:

Since dosbox runs on macs i`m curious if there is any way to get the older games from gog.com to run on a mac, has anyone tried that?

On Linux, it's easy enough to run the installer (WINE) and then run the native version of dosbox on the executable. I bet you could use the same tactic on OSX.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

MoaM posted:

Right?!!

Considering I spent half an hour last week trying to get Dungeon Keeper 2 to run stably in Vista then I'd say so.

I succeeded, incidentally.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Dr Snofeld posted:

Considering I spent half an hour last week trying to get Dungeon Keeper 2 to run stably in Vista then I'd say so.

I succeeded, incidentally.

Really? I tried a couple of days ago, installed this patch and that was that.
Infact it ran almost perfectly fine with just setting it to the lowest resolution, and running in Win 2000 compatibility mode. The only issue was that it refused to save games, but this patch fixed all of those.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Furret Basket posted:

Infact it ran almost perfectly fine with just setting it to the lowest resolution, and running in Win 2000 compatibility mode. The only issue was that it refused to save games, but this patch fixed all of those.

I use that patch too, but I meant without crashing when I tried to save, with hardware rendering and all the graphics to full. The trick is to turn off antialiasing for the exe in the nVidia Control Panel or the ATI equivalent. Hasn't crashed for me once since then.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Furret Basket posted:

What do I do with this htm file?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Mandrill posted:

Their server seems to be serving the files like a retard. I just renamed it to a .exe and it was fine.

quote:

I use that patch too, but I meant without crashing when I tried to save, with hardware rendering and all the graphics to full. The trick is to turn off antialiasing for the exe in the nVidia Control Panel or the ATI equivalent. Hasn't crashed for me once since then.

Yeah that stuff seems to gently caress with a lot of old games.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mandrill posted:

Rename it to end with .exe rather than .htm.

edit: f, beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Furret Basket posted:

Their server seems to be serving the files like a retard. I just renamed it to a .exe and it was fine.

Yeah that stuff seems to gently caress with a lot of old games.

poo poo, thanks guys, tried .zip and .rar but not .exe.