Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How was X just "HARDCORE MEGAMAN" exactly

It was bleaker and grittier in storyline(hell, it HAD a storyline) but the gameplay was far and away more fast-paced, diverse and entertaining than any of the regular Megaman games. It was revolutionary to the series. Not to mention stages changing based on the order of bosses defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

"Oh, it's YOU that's causing my suffering! Then if I tear you to pieces, the pain will stop!"
:furcry:
The X series is hardcore because most of the music is made of guitar rifts, man

or go check out Rockman :smug:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ka0 posted:

Megaman X is akin to Final Fantasy VI in terms of the rose tinted glasses scale.

Them's fightin' words.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Burnin Yinky posted:

The X series is hardcore because most of the music is made of guitar rifts, man

or go check out Rockman :smug:

The X series is hardcore because BURN TO THE GROUND!!!! BURN!!! BURN TO THE GROUND!!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The X series has a pretty awesome 80s dystopian feel to it until it got all anime.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Neat...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love X2 but I always lose interest when I have to collect Zero's parts. I beat the game without getting them and it always bugs when I get to that part again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In terms of gameplay mechanics Mega Man Zero blows all the other 2D series out of the water. :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ka0 posted:

Negative, Megaman 2 holds Hipster Intercultural Value (H.I.V.) which trascends the smelly threshold of "gamer culture". MMX is still just plain old 90's gamer wank.

Why, because it has a t-shirt in Hot Topic?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mister Roboto posted:

Aw man, why did they split up AGAIN?

They both seem quiet about it, or at least I did about as much digging as "reading the YouTube comments" and got nothing. Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if they got back together AGAIN and then split up AGAIN. I do know that Brando is working on a Mega Man 9 song/album/whoknows with Random/Mega Ran, and a demo piece of the Galaxy Man stage is on Brando's site.

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
They're letting people vote on the design for a new heroine and/or love interest in Legends 3 over on the Capcom devblog (You need a Capcom Unity account, though). The designs are in higher-res here, click the names on the bottom to switch through them.

Honestly though, they look like Star Force and Battle Network rejects. Hell, the first just looks like an older Mayl with a Mettool Hat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Inafune's design is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cuboidal 64 posted:

They're letting people vote on the design for a new heroine and/or love interest in Legends 3 over on the Capcom devblog (You need a Capcom Unity account, though). The designs are in higher-res here, click the names on the bottom to switch through them.

Honestly though, they look like Star Force and Battle Network rejects. Hell, the first just looks like an older Mayl with a Mettool Hat.

We know. It was on the previous page, champ.

Personally pretty much every one of those designs are "well, that's kind of nice I guess but what is that stupid crap on her head" for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At the moment for me it's a tie between Met-yl (the Mettool hat :3:), Tatsuya Yoshikawa's design (Looks half way to being sort of sky-pirate like) and Toru Nakayama (Because Megaman Zero).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

C-Euro posted:

X is a lot of fun but X2 is where the series really comes into its own (meaning it stops just being HARDCORE Mega Man and becomes its own entity)

Don't forget, it also introduced everyone's favorite MMX character, Green Biker Dude. Man, that guy could pop a wheelie in the face of laser fire.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

How was X just "HARDCORE MEGAMAN" exactly

It was bleaker and grittier in storyline(hell, it HAD a storyline) but the gameplay was far and away more fast-paced, diverse and entertaining than any of the regular Megaman games. It was revolutionary to the series. Not to mention stages changing based on the order of bosses defeated.

Honestly I just drew that phrase out of a hat. What I meant is that the first game was "Mega Man reboot on the SNES" but once a second game came out it started to be "the Mega Man X series", as a lot of the things that distinguish the X series from the Classic series became much more fleshed out in the second game and beyond (upgrades, optional bosses/paths/characters, plot occurring outside of the pre-title intro). Sorry if I picked the wrong phrase to articulate my point.
Plus if you think about, it's hard to have a series with just one game :v:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Haha, I can't get over how bad Inafune's design is. Those eyebrows, goddamn. I voted for Sensei Haruki Suetsugu's design (the one with the feather headband) since it's the most unique without diving into "how much poo poo can we possibly shove on this poor girl's head" territory.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I agree, Inafune's something out of a Dragon Ball Z fanart album.

I voted this:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Panic Restaurant posted:

Haha, I can't get over how bad Inafune's design is. Those eyebrows, goddamn. I voted for Sensei Haruki Suetsugu's design (the one with the feather headband) since it's the most unique without diving into "how much poo poo can we possibly shove on this poor girl's head" territory.

:hfive: fellow Feather Goggles Headband Chick voter. I liked this one the most, partly because it didn't strike me as trying to oversexualize a 13 year old like some of the other entries (seriously, that last one is almost a flasher or something).

Met-helmet chick was cool, too.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
6 of those designs come with trendy hip accessory googles. gently caress me in the rear end.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

:hfive: fellow Feather Goggles Headband Chick voter. I liked this one the most, partly because it didn't strike me as trying to oversexualize a 13 year old like some of the other entries (seriously, that last one is almost a flasher or something).

Met-helmet chick was cool, too.

I voted for She-T. Hawk, too.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

They should combine Met-Hat chick with this one

and feathers-chick's outfit, I bet the outcome would be cool.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

All of the designs are pretty objectively bad to me, but most anime videogame characters are victims of that. I say this as someone who has nothing against anime either.

I think it's cool seeing all of the different Megaman artists designing a similar concept though. I liked trying to figure out which artist worked on which series before clicking the Previous Work button, as nerdy as it is to admit that.

Edit: Also, Gammatron, your avatar looks very similar to an old one of mine with Kyle Raynor lowriding through space, and it keeps confusing the hell out of me!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apart from the last one and Inafune's, the rest of them look like they would fit reasonably well into the Legends style, imagining them with blocky ps1 graphics (I honestly can't even visualize how Legends would look on a modern console.) My vote would either go to Met hat girl or the goofy gogo girl with the giant pink sunglasses, despite her asymmetry and being anime as gently caress. GOGGLES FOR EVERYONE.

That being said, Legends is already pretty damned anime to begin with. Metal crotch plates and all.

Edit: Wait oh god, why are they all elementary schoolers? :froggonk:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Voted for Tatsuya Yoshikawa's design but was leaning towards Haruki's Design (feather girl). Really hoping the new Legends game comes out well.. just wish it wasn't on the DS.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I agree, Inafune's something out of a Dragon Ball Z fanart album.

I voted this:

This is the one that should win.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

They both seem quiet about it, or at least I did about as much digging as "reading the YouTube comments" and got nothing. Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if they got back together AGAIN and then split up AGAIN. I do know that Brando is working on a Mega Man 9 song/album/whoknows with Random/Mega Ran, and a demo piece of the Galaxy Man stage is on Brando's site.

Sadly the small amount of demo stuff that was recorded and leaked out before the second split was pretty awesome. This is the only clip I can find, but I've heard others. They performed another part live during the final tour as well.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Pureauthor posted:

In terms of gameplay mechanics Mega Man Zero blows all the other 2D series out of the water. :colbert:

I do enjoy the MMZ games for its gameplay, but starting the 2nd game, you need to be exceptionally good at the game if you want the weapons after you complete a stage. I swear, it took me a few hundred or thousand tries to get an A Rank on the Jungle stage.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
I like met-hat chick the best cause she's wearing some goddamn clothes. Black chick is good for the same reason (though I think her clothes look kinda stupid), and feather girl doesn't make me feel like a perv either. But the others, why so much midriff? Wait, I probably don't want to know the answer.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Someone who is more literate in matters of anime, please explain to me why is it mandatory for young characters to wear accessory goggles.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Someone who is more literate in matters of anime, please explain to me why is it mandatory for young characters to wear accessory goggles.

Because when the goggles go over the eyes, you know some action is about to happen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wendell posted:

This is the one that should win.

"Yaaaaaay! I'm colorblind! :downs:"

chumbler posted:

Because when the goggles go over the eyes, you know some action is about to happen.

This man speaks the truth. Solid evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s057eriPEI8

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Ka0 posted:

To sell accessory goggles to the young watchers.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokecapn posted:

To sell accessory goggles to the young watchers.

Maybe I'm out of touch but please tell me this is a joke.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hideki Ishikawa's is the least offensively bad to my eyes, and the only one that looks like an actual official Capcom character, as opposed to random DeviantArt scrawlings. But she's not white or loli or moe enough so my guess is she won't get a whole lot of votes from the people that would vote on a poll like that.

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

They must be pleased that instead of inventing a green, evil version of the main character from a alternate universe, they can just use Quint instead :v:

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
Joystiq had more info on the Legends 3 project, actively submitting boss ideas sounds a lot more interesting than voting on heroine designs.

They're also looking for a fan to help manage the developer site. Sounds like a job for Oyster, his Super Adventure Rockman LP would be the perfect resume, well unless Capcom objects to LP's on principle.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Janderbuilt posted:

Joystiq had more info on the Legends 3 project, actively submitting boss ideas sounds a lot more interesting than voting on heroine designs.

They're also looking for a fan to help manage the developer site. Sounds like a job for Oyster, his Super Adventure Rockman LP would be the perfect resume, well unless Capcom objects to LP's on principle.

I like to think that Capcom would find Oyster over-qualified. I'm still convinced Oyster would beat Inafune in Megaman trivia.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Why are they voting on a female lead anyway. isn't that what Roll is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Overbite posted:

Why are they voting on a female lead anyway. isn't that what Roll is?

The need to keep up the trend of two more new women being unusually interested in Megaman per Legends game.