Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
That's awesome.

I went to the TRU in Fair Oaks today and they were having a bunch of sales. Many sets were 30% off plus all town/construction/space police sets were an additional 10% off that price with a free minifig with it. Also, the Harry Potter sets were out, and it looked like one or two were discounted already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ok, so I've actually got a design and a plan for a SHIP, and an estimated number of parts for the bulk of the MOC (approximately 6800 1x2 bricks and 1x1 round bricks). Only one Bricklink store has all of them (and that store is the only one with that many 1x1 rounds in red). It'd cost me about $200 from this store, which isn't bad for that many parts, but I'm curious.
Has anyone ordered one of the boxes that Lego Stores use for their pick-a-brick wall? Not the $150 pack-your-own, but the actual boxes of single types they get? I'm curious as to their cost and their approximate piece count. Amusingly, LDD would charge me about $2900 for the needed quantity. Lego Education has packs of 50 red 1x2 bricks, but they're still $10 each and it'd cost me $670 for 'em.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Well, you do realize the ship is 6800 pieces. If you buy a set with ~2,000 pieces, it costs around $150. So, in that case, it's not that bad of a price. Or, you could ask James May how he bought the pieces in bulk...

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Ok, so I've actually got a design and a plan for a SHIP, and an estimated number of parts for the bulk of the MOC (approximately 6800 1x2 bricks and 1x1 round bricks). Only one Bricklink store has all of them (and that store is the only one with that many 1x1 rounds in red). It'd cost me about $200 from this store, which isn't bad for that many parts, but I'm curious.
Has anyone ordered one of the boxes that Lego Stores use for their pick-a-brick wall? Not the $150 pack-your-own, but the actual boxes of single types they get? I'm curious as to their cost and their approximate piece count. Amusingly, LDD would charge me about $2900 for the needed quantity. Lego Education has packs of 50 red 1x2 bricks, but they're still $10 each and it'd cost me $670 for 'em.

I've bought several boxes of PAB over the years. They're currently $75 I think. If you get to know your store manager well enough, they may let you look at their order form, which has parts counts. I don't know offhand what it is for 1 x 2 bricks, but 1 x 8 tiles come 1700 to a case and 1 x 1 tiles come 22000 to a case. The larger the part, the worse the deal, obviously. I suspect the Bricklink deal is better for you, in this case. If the Lego store did have what you need, for bricks, packing cups really well is probably cheaper than buying a whole case, but even then it sounds like this BL price would be better.

e: I actualy found the list I was shown a while back. 1 x 2 bricks come 2800 to a case. I can't find 1 x 1 rounds (don't know if I've ever seen those at PAB, though I did get some at the Times Square TRU back when they had a sort-of PAB) but regular 1 x 1 bricks are 6100 to a case, so I bet even more rounds, if you could find them, would fit in one.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 8, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'd whip something up in LDD, but it doesn't want to do a curved wall like this very easily. Basically, I'm planning on using this technique to make several minifig-scale tanker cars.
Real, they're approximately 40' long and 10' in diameter; I've roughed out minifig scale to be about 24 bricks long and slightly more than 12 studs in diameter. The circumference is 36 studs--12 1x2s and 12 1x1 rounds. The horrible irrationality of the world means that at this scale, I can't really cross-brace the structure, but the test piece I've built at 9 bricks high seems pretty sturdy.

It's a relatively brick-intensive technique, but I don't see any other way to make a cylinder in this scale.

^^^^^^^
Nice to know; turns out I only need about 2100 1x2s and 2100 1x1 rounds (I only need 40' cars, not 60'), which gives me another store in the US I can buy from. But if two $75 boxes from TLG will get me what I need, I'll come out cheaper than BL. I'll have to give 'em a call when I'm ready to start building. I have seen 1x1 rounds in yellow at PAB--they were shelf-warming for months.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 8, 2010

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

I'd whip something up in LDD, but it doesn't want to do a curved wall like this very easily. Basically, I'm planning on using this technique to make several minifig-scale tanker cars.
Real, they're approximately 40' long and 10' in diameter; I've roughed out minifig scale to be about 24 bricks long and slightly more than 12 studs in diameter. The circumference is 36 studs--12 1x2s and 12 1x1 rounds. The horrible irrationality of the world means that at this scale, I can't really cross-brace the structure, but the test piece I've built at 9 bricks high seems pretty sturdy.

It's a relatively brick-intensive technique, but I don't see any other way to make a cylinder in this scale.

Speaking as a builder of steam locomotives, trust me, there are ways.

The boiler on this engine was made by creating internal rings of these guys:

I just built out from there to the desired width. The wider you want to go, the more links you need. Mind you, your way is much easier, but it's fun to figure out other ways to do things.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The boiler on this engine was made by creating internal rings of these guys:

I just built out from there to the desired width. The wider you want to go, the more links you need. Mind you, your way is much easier, but it's fun to figure out other ways to do things.

What piece is that? Never seen anything like it.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

What piece is that? Never seen anything like it.

Sorry, should have included a link to this link.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb76

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Sorry, should have included a link to this link.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb76

I love these!

I should really buy more.

Also Pyroclastic, 10 inches in diameter? At that size, wouldn't 1x3s and 1x1 rounds be stronger? Like this:

Or maybe that forces the circle to be too wide?

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 8, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What the hell, Toys R Us. Minifigures are now $3.99.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I love these!

Also Pyroclastic, 10 inches in diameter? At that size, wouldn't 1x3s and 1x1 rounds be stronger? Like this:

No, the real size of the tanker car I'm scaling is 10 feet in diameter. I'm scaling it down to minifig scale, which comes down to about 12 studs in diameter (about 2 minifig heights).
I tried the more-stable 1x3 method, but the arc there would've made it way out of scale for minifigs.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Ohh, I misread what you put, gotcha. Sounds pretty ambitious though, so I look forward to the finished product.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What the hell, Toys R Us. Minifigures are now $3.99.

Geez, that's insane. TRU usually jacks up the price of their Lego juuust a bit, but $3.99 for a minifigure is a bit extreme.

If anyone's still having any problems finding S2 minifigures, I'm not sure how much of a chain Five Below is around the US, but they had em for $1.99 each. Wish I would have known that before, I never even thought about checking them out.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

I love these!

That is loving brilliant.

Mookster
Jun 27, 2006
Oh look, it's a sailboat!
This is the opening scene from the danish movie "The Olsen Gang Never Surrenders" from '79 which I really think you guys will digg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=squxkHIaIdY

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Mookster posted:

This is the opening scene from the danish movie "The Olsen Gang Never Surrenders" from '79 which I really think you guys will digg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=squxkHIaIdY

Holy loving poo poo.

fursmbrero
Dec 27, 2002

PopeOnARope posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

That's depressing. I've had my Lego technic stuff for 33 years and never done anything that cool. They had them for - at most -18 months when they filmed that.

:(

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

PopeOnARope posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Pretty much this. That stair climbing solution is pretty ingenious :science:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Took my friends kids to the lego store this afternoon, they had never been. They had a blast. Ended up buying them set 7236 and set 3180. I pre-bought the Lego Universe game so I got all the Goodies, and then also bought the game.

They have the london bridge set on display, its impressive.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

Took my friends kids to the lego store this afternoon, they had never been. They had a blast. Ended up buying them set 7236 and set 3180. I pre-bought the Lego Universe game so I got all the Goodies, and then also bought the game.

It is impressive. Even more impressive in a tiny apartment, let me tell you. I just finished it today and here is my advice: Build this with a friend, for the love of God! As is probably obvious from looking at it, the entire thing is basically s "2X" assembly, with many parts being 8X due to having to build bits of each corner of each tower. Having one person build one tower and one the other saved my sanity, but it was a pretty fun build overall.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

Those would be great first sets. This was one of the first sets that I got: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6594_Gas_Transit . I had a blast with it :) It's still surprising how much more realistic the new lego looks.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
This is the first set I remember building on my own:

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6670-1

Kind of a unique one in retrospect, being a 5-wide vehicle. I loved the transparent red 1 x 2 slopes and those striped warning tiles.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

This is the first set I remember building on my own:

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6670-1

Kind of a unique one in retrospect, being a 5-wide vehicle. I loved the transparent red 1 x 2 slopes and those striped warning tiles.
Oh my god, I had that exact set. Seeing it all of a sudden actually gave me chills. It was one of the first ones I ever got (although my very first was the Blacktron one where the guy had a little EVA rig :3:). I totally forgot about the road signs... I must have lost them early on. That sledgehammer got a lot of action in the many wars the Townspeople waged against the citizens of the Ice Planet, although it was, sadly, no match for their flaming chainsaws.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If we're talking about baby's first Lego, this was mine:

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=483-1

Yeah my dad started me out when I was old enough to just shove all the pieces in my mouth and chew.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah my dad started me out when I was old enough to just shove all the pieces in my mouth and chew.

My first set was the first release of the Black Seas Barracuda from 1989 (I was 2), because my dad is awesome :smug:.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

One of these were my first set:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6644-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6661-1

While the TV-van was released first, putting together that sportscar is one of my earliest memories (born '87). :3:

Bboth sets are awesome even today.

Edit: ^^Holy poo poo, I had that ship too! Was it really that early? :hf: for awesome parents, I guess.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 9, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I built a mock-up of the frame of my SHIP (well, one seventh of it; I have plenty more 1x2s, but I'm nearly out of 1x1 rounds). It's sturdy, looks reasonably good for being a Rainbow Warrior, and I can see plenty of possibilities for adding exterior and interior detail, as well as connections to the rest of the SHIP. My plan had been to make a fully-detailed interior (possibly using transparent bricks or figuring out how to do stable cutaways).

Of course, I scaled the ship based on minifig height, but didn't quite consider that a minifig, to our scale, is a good bit wider, and even with good SNOT techniques, minifig-scale furniture is pretty bulky. I was re-reading parts of the novel I'm copying the ship from, and there's just no way I'm cramming all that inside--a 10 stud diameter floor just isn't enough for a galley/kitchen and a dining area for 5. I've been playing with LDD, but I think I'm actually going to have to go hands-on experimental to see how I can scale this to be novel-accurate.

Also, the brick+round technique doesn't seem to lend itself to lettering-by-color.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, the brick+round technique doesn't seem to lend itself to lettering-by-color.

What if you use 1x2 plates and 1x1 round studs in place of some of the bricks?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Went to Frys yesterday and there were two brand new boxes of series 2 minifigures on the shelf. I bought four and pulled three spartans.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I can't remember my first set because I was given a lot of the bucket sets and some pirate set I was too young to assemble, but this was the first set I ever bought with my own money. It was a pretty huge deal to me :3:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

What if you use 1x2 plates and 1x1 round studs in place of some of the bricks?

The main problem with lettering is the way the offset works--you can't go more than two levels until you have a 1x2 completely offset from another 1x2. I can probably do lettering by changing some 1x2s into 1x1s or stacks of 1x1 plates, but then the structural integrity could be compromised, especially if I have to do it over a wide expanse.
It was just something I was thinking about to spruce up a largely boring exterior. In the book, it's covered with brightly colored murals, but I know that's not going to work out.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Is it generally cheaper to build larger sets (pirate ships, castles) using pieces from Bricklink or just buy the complete (for the most part) sets off eBay? It seems that factoring in the need to get pieces from more than one store and shipping, eBay would be cheaper (when available).

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

You can also buy complete sets from Bricklink - I've had decent success with that myself. I'd look into that first. Generally buying the pieces separately will be more expensive, unless they're all fairly commonplace and you only have to get them from a couple different stores.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

so is lego universe worth it or should I just take it back?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

I've been in beta for a while, but haven't played it since they went to full-time servers.
My biggest issue with it was that it wasn't very...Lego. Most of the game is typical MMO questing--go here, fight these, gather these, deliver this. It brings some stuff from the other Lego games like quick-builds and hidden objects to find (gold bricks, hidden flags). There are instanced building areas that apparently cost rent, but you have to either purchase pieces from vendors (each one in a different world sells different pieces), or get them from drops (not really feasible considering how many different brick types there are). It's cheap to buy them and they're all the same price, but still kinda annoying (especially when money wasn't really flowing in and higher-level equipment costs a lot).
At BrickCon, though, I caught the tail end of a little impromptu presentation that wasn't on the schedule about some stuff I've apparently missed in the last few weeks--AFOLs are being asked to provide content and are getting new and better tools for building their own entire worlds.

It's pretty safe for kids. Chat is a highly restrictive whitelist--if the word isn't on the list, it doesn't get said. This does make normal communication difficult, though, since you can't say many words the game itself says, like numbers. Every name you choose and every model you build is moderated, so you won't see the Cock Castle created Fuckhead McCuntington who has a pet named Gayasaurus Fag.

It's supposed to be cheaper than other MMOs, so if you can give up three lattes a month, you'd probably cover it.

I'll fire it up again this week and see how much has changed.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Veeb0rg posted:

Is it out of beta yet? Can I break the NDA?

VV e: Alright then. I didn't mind the MMOness of the activities so much, although they could have been more LEGO-themed and a little less hacky-slashy. But it is an MMO, and being mad at it for being like an MMO is like being mad at a salad for not being a Big Mac.

What bothered me, though, isn't how the gameplay seemed to run counter to the LEGO experience, but how the gameplay rewards did.

I'll run you quickly through my beta experience. I hit the character customization screen, was amused by the creative possibilities, and immediately created a minifigural injury lawyer from the firm of Brickson, Studly, and Platis. Smartly cropped hair, smug grin, matched navy blue suit, walkie-talkie (in lieu of a cellphone) etc. Then I hit the game, finished the first handful of quests, and was given the same generic starting armor that everybody gets which immediately covered up all of my character's details and turned me into Guy With Helmet #449482. I could have played without it, sure, but the difficulty quickly rose to the point where giving up armor points made the game nearly unplayable (although this was back when they still had impossible problems with lag). In order to really progress in the game, I had to effectively stifle my creativity.

I had also completed a number of achievements at this point, the rewards for which were basically a truckload of custom minifig torsos. The problem was, each of those torsos took up a slot in the Potentially Useful Item section of my inventory. If I wanted to carry things like weapons or quest items with me, I had to decide, right then, which of the fancy reward torsos I would want to play with in the future so I could sell the rest for inventory space. And then I hit the torsos that granted stat boosts, which meant that those rewards would never get used again.

Basically, it felt wrong that a LEGO game would discourage creativity by coupling numerical performance to visible parts of your character so intractably. I should be able to charge into battle with a tank top, hula skirt, monkey mask and electric guitar and be as potentially combat-viable as the guy in matching plate armor and chrome greatswords. But when I played, there just wasn't enough variety among the "best in show" equipment, and all of it made you cover up the originality you had put into your character in the first five minutes of play.

I don't like being told the "right way" to play with my toys.

BrainWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 11, 2010

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

BrainWeasel posted:

Is it out of beta yet? Can I break the NDA?

went officially live on Saturday the 9th, so I'd say yes.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

SynthOrange posted:

Hell yeah I had that one. It was far from my first (I be old) but I remember that one really well. Loads of those handy curved pieces in the rocket. I haqd the small and medium spaceships as well, but could never afford the large one (my arch-nemisis down the street had it :argh: ).

That (was it the first Space series?) is the theme and series of lego that I most associate with my childhood. For a couple of years it was literally all I cared about.

And speaking of Duplo.... this is my kid's first set (and also the event that inspired your current title, you can have the old one back now I guess:

Just because it was on special. drat this stuff is expensive. Toy's R Us had a big box of Duplo heavily discounted with an extra box as a bonus that was a pretty good deal so I got that on the weekend so now he has a load of basic bricks and I can just get him themed one's now and then for presents. He's not that into building, and in general prefers his cars, but enjoys playing with the stuff I make for him.

I was quite proud of the giant robot duck I made on the weekend but he destroyed it before I could take a picture :(

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 11, 2010

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Also, it strikes me that Duplo is perfect for this stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355503. So I might see if I can replicate some of them when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Frye
Apr 7, 2009
I hope my kids has as much fun with them as I did growing up