Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

McGravin posted:

What about the hands?

The only issue with the hands that I can see is that they don't actually have any weight to them - they look like they're just on top of whatever they're doing (holding the mask, unbuttoning) rather than actually DOING those things.

It's kinda a small thing. Otherwise, :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006
Goon Through Charity (And Don't I Forget It)

bokchoi posted:

Getting back on topic a bit, does anyone recognize the symbol in the light bulb above Kat's head on this page? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=757

I expected it to be some alchemical symbol alongside Antimony and Bismuth, but I haven't been able to find anything.

I took it to be the more-visible filament from an old lightbulb, rather than modern varieties. If it's a symbol, it's that Kat's mind is a little different than her contemporaries.

Edit: Huh. Clearly there's more to it than I thought. vvvvv

Phil Resch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 10, 2010

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

bokchoi posted:

Getting back on topic a bit, does anyone recognize the symbol in the light bulb above Kat's head on this page? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=757

I expected it to be some alchemical symbol alongside Antimony and Bismuth, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Don't know what symbol it is, but it shows up on Kat on the last two treatise pics:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=560
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=295

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

IMJack posted:

Don't know what symbol it is, but it shows up on Kat on the last two treatise pics:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=560
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=295

It's a face!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Bringing this back off topic, Neil Gaiman wrote about fan fiction. Basically, he doesn't care whatever you do with any of his characters, he accepts that there is fan fiction about him, but please don't write about his family.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's a face!

It's a mix of these two because Katerina stands for cold hard facts and data:

I suck the fun out of your mysteries.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It doesn't look anything like either of those. For one thing, both of those things have flat bottoms and the symbol does not. :confused:

edit: VVV a wire antenna in the shape of a face, naturally VVV

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 11, 2010

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It is a wire antenna. Wires and antennas mean science.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

According to the fan forum, someone asked Tea-san on his formspring once and he replied it was a symbol he invented.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Eyebrows launched! Escape velocity in T-Minus 3... 2... 1...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Parley! :3:

also i met tom at nycc it was super cool

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

This first-name basis thing might be awkward if Parley insists it go both ways.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope he enjoyed his visit.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Yay Parley! Yay Smitty! :neckbeard:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Today's comic is brought to you by: eyebrows.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Casull posted:

Yay George! Yay Andrew! :neckbeard:

Fixed that for you.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It looks like there is some serious smootching about to occur. :3:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Smitty! Your eyebrows! They go up again!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I have to admit, I'm still not entirely sure what Jeanne said that let Parley deduce that Jeanne wanted to kill her for being a Love Coward. Perhaps it was just a psychic thing.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I had read the strip 3 or 4 times before I realized those were his eyebrows, and not general comic "surprise lines" emanating from his head (there may be a real term for this, I don't know it). Upon realization, I smiled even more. I should also add that I checked out this thread a couple weeks ago, and after doing so, tore through the entire archives in about 2 days. Now I'm having to get used to waiting for an update. At least they are reliable though. As others have said, I wasn't really convinced by the first few chapters, but after sticking with it (due to the urging in this thread), I am very glad I did.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Geekner posted:

I hear a slide whistle over and over as I watch this.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Geekner posted:

Those eyebrows...

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
ahhhh

why is the site down

WHY

I bet this is boxbot's fault

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if it's because Tom is at NYCC or if it's because the fen swarmed it.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Brannock posted:

I wonder if it's because Tom is at NYCC or if it's because the fans swarmed it.

Hey I fixed that sentence for you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I consider "fen" a derogatory term.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

If you want to insult them, remind everyone what "fan" is short for, and call them "fanatics", a word with a quite negative connotation.

When you say "the fen swarmed it," I think, "how can a swamp swarm anything? What is this guy talking about?"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I thought that liconshire had sunk beneath the waves and I hadn't heard the news yet somehow.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Geekner posted:

I had a similar thought:

and crossposting from this thread:

Left to right: Antimony, Kat, Zimmy, Gamma, Parley, Smitty, and Jones.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
For a guy's who's entire shtick is keeping things organized, he sure has trouble keeping his eyebrows in their proper place. :v:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

The 19th Person posted:

For a guy's who's entire shtick is keeping things organized, he sure has trouble keeping his eyebrows in their proper place. :v:
They're exactly where they should be. :colbert:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I love this comic because stuff actually happens.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I just realised this whole chapter wouldn't have been possible if not for Smitty. He didn't only toss the stone, but his presence brought Parley into the act. Because of her Antimony managed to escape from Jeanne. He also got the chick at the end. The guy is a walking Deus Ex Machina

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I have to admit, I'm still not entirely sure what Jeanne said that let Parley deduce that Jeanne wanted to kill her for being a Love Coward. Perhaps it was just a psychic thing.

I'm pretty sure it's that: the last line isn't about unspecified heart magic it's just the heart as love. I don't really think we need to PBF it.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pieces of Peace posted:

I'm pretty sure it's that: the last line isn't about unspecified heart magic it's just the heart as love. I don't really think we need to PBF it.

Whoa whoa whoa, PBF it? drat. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fragrag posted:

The guy is a walking Deus Ex Machina

That is almost explicitly what his ability is all about, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fragrag posted:

I just realised this whole chapter wouldn't have been possible if not for Smitty. He didn't only toss the stone, but his presence brought Parley into the act. Because of her Antimony managed to escape from Jeanne. He also got the chick at the end. The guy is a walking Deus Ex Machina

I think you're just reaching there. It would be like saying that the entire chapter wouldn't have been possible if Annie wasn't curious to check out the edge of the Annan River so we could see Jeanne's backstory.
Smitty was there because he had to be there. The events did not revolve around him.