Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how to get a Mumble server up and running on a VPS running CentOS 5.5? I have the rest of my servers running through Webmin, if there's a way to administer it through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I've got a stock market related question. A couple of days ago, when the rumor came up that Microsoft might acquire Adobe, Adobe's stock price jumped up by 17%. Why did that happen? If I owned Adobe stocks, I wouldn't be happy about someone buying the company. I obviously have no clue about stocks and all of this, but I thought that generally takeovers aren't necessarily a good thing if the company isn't in trouble. (Is Adobe in trouble?)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 10, 2010

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how to get a Mumble server up and running on a VPS running CentOS 5.5? I have the rest of my servers running through Webmin, if there's a way to administer it through that.

I had a ton of problems getting Mumble to work on my Slackware machine until I just used their static binary. I don't know much about webmin, but really once you have it set up (via CLI) there's not much by way of managing to do.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
A while ago I read a really witty little proverb on these forums. It went something like:

"Pray to Allah for protection, but lock your door too."

but it was a lot more clever than that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why does Subway make their sandwiches upside down? That is, they put the meat on the upper portion of the bread and the toppings on the lower, so when they close up the sandwich, the meat is above the toppings, which is obviously wrong.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

hooah posted:

Why does Subway make their sandwiches upside down? That is, they put the meat on the upper portion of the bread and the toppings on the lower, so when they close up the sandwich, the meat is above the toppings, which is obviously wrong.

Every deli I've ever been to does this, not just subway. No clue why they do it though but I wondering too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FLX posted:

I've got a stock market related question. A couple of days ago, when the rumor came up that Microsoft might acquire Adobe, Adobe's stock price jumped up by 17%. Why did that happen? If I owned Adobe stocks, I wouldn't be happy about someone buying the company. I obviously have no clue about stocks and all of this, but I thought that generally takeovers aren't necessarily a good thing if the company isn't in trouble. (Is Adobe in trouble?)

When a company look to be close to being bought out, investors try to buy shares in it in hopes of making a profit from the potential buyout, and that drives the stock price up.

Trypticon
Jun 13, 2005

'Begone Metroplex!' rejoined he. 'Quit the room, or I will trample you into atoms.'
Sometime in the 90s, I vividly remember Cartoon Network doing this Thanksgiving sweepstakes, where the winner was supposed to wake up Thanksgiving morning to a dump truck dumping toys on their driveway. I remember sending in my little post card to sign up for the contest, but no matter how hard I scour Google, I can't find any record of it. I have to imagine that this must have been a pretty memorable experience for the winner and they must have written about it somewhere, but I can't find a trace. Did this ever come to fruition? Does anyone else know anything about this contest?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Anyone here speak Gaelige? I need to figure out how to say "New Beginnings" or "Second Chances" for a motion graphic I'm doing, but I'm really striking out on figuring it out.

Manx or Erse is acceptable too.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Early today I accidentally hit my pinky finger against a corner while moving. It wasn't a hard hit, just about a strong tap, hitting between my knuckle and the first joint. But I guess I hit it in some precise spot, because following that it began to feel hot and kind of numb for about ten minutes. I thought I might have hit a blood vessel or something and might see bruising, but no. It's been about 12 hours now and it still feels a little weird when I curl it. Any idea what exactly happened?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When writing an application letter how forthright should I be?

If I hear that I am accepted I will...
Upon hearing that I am accepted I will...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sad Panda posted:

When writing an application letter how forthright should I be?

If I hear that I am accepted I will...
Upon hearing that I am accepted I will...

For what?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

baquerd posted:

For what?

College application letter that one of my students is writing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sad Panda posted:

College application letter that one of my students is writing.

The traditional advice when applying to a job is to focus on what you can bring to the company. However, for undergraduate, the college pretty much only has one use for you - you're a money tree. Unless your student is an academic elite with publications already and a massive GPA (in which case they're getting in most places full ride anyways), there's jack poo poo your student can bring to the school in terms of real value.

I would avoid the phrasing altogether and focus on demonstrated accomplishments and goals. Anything that could conceivably be "affirmative actioned", race/sexual orientation, etc. should 100% be shoehorned in, hopefully as an anecdote of overcoming adversity.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I'm in the UK and buying something from the US, what is the threshold under which I won't have to pay any import duty or VAT? I seem to remember it being something like £50. Basically what is the amount I can go up to without having to pay any sort of customs charges. The item in question is a laser pointer. Not that mega death ray one though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Anjow posted:

If I'm in the UK and buying something from the US, what is the threshold under which I won't have to pay any import duty or VAT? I seem to remember it being something like £50. Basically what is the amount I can go up to without having to pay any sort of customs charges. The item in question is a laser pointer. Not that mega death ray one though.
Customs duty kicks in at £135, but VAT is £18 (or £40 if marked as a gift.)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Akuma posted:

Customs duty kicks in at £135, but VAT is £18 (or £40 if marked as a gift.)

Pah, so with something that's $80 I imagine there'll be the VAT of £8.75 and the stupid 'processing charge' of £8 on top of that? That's poo poo. But thanks for the info.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 11, 2010

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Elijya posted:

Early today I accidentally hit my pinky finger against a corner while moving. It wasn't a hard hit, just about a strong tap, hitting between my knuckle and the first joint. But I guess I hit it in some precise spot, because following that it began to feel hot and kind of numb for about ten minutes. I thought I might have hit a blood vessel or something and might see bruising, but no. It's been about 12 hours now and it still feels a little weird when I curl it. Any idea what exactly happened?

It could be a broken blood vessel, I've had it happen a lot and never had any visible bruising, it just hurts like hell for a bit.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Serial killer question: who's the bald, Gandhi-looking guy on the intro of this video? I was able to identify all of the guys mugshots except for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3O8vZCdQI

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Disharmony posted:

Serial killer question: who's the bald, Gandhi-looking guy on the intro of this video? I was able to identify all of the guys mugshots except for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3O8vZCdQI

The one behind bars is Andrei Chikatilo, if that's who you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikatilo

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Checked some videos and yup, that's him. Thanks mate! :)

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
What is this bug?

We've been getting a lot of stink bugs on our screens and inside by our windows. This is the first I've noticed any of these though. My roommate just killed a bunch of stink bugs by this window the other night but didn't say anything about seeing anything like these. Now there are 8-10 of these things between the screen and the sliding glass door. None inside that I've seen. We keep a very clean apartment so I don't think it's related to that, just not sure how to keep these things away.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That looks like a box elder bug. Throw soapy water on them to get rid of them.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
That's definitely it, thanks!

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Facebook question!!!!

In order to view some silly questions a friend as "answered" about me, I need to enable an application called "Friend facts" to view a lot of my profile's information and email. If I enable it, in order to view my friend's answers, can I disable it afterwards?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

a pwn cocktail posted:

Facebook question!!!!

In order to view some silly questions a friend as "answered" about me, I need to enable an application called "Friend facts" to view a lot of my profile's information and email. If I enable it, in order to view my friend's answers, can I disable it afterwards?

Yes, in theory, also they should delete your information, should you request it:

quote:

These improvements reflect two core Facebook beliefs: first, your data belongs to you; second, it should be easy to control what you share. If at any point you ask a developer to remove the data you've granted them access to, we require that that they delete this information.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Yes, in theory, also they should delete your information, should you request it:

Ah, thanks. So if I accept the app, when I delete it, it'll just be a simple case of selecting a "delete my info" box or something similar? Or does it mean if I hunt down the CEO's e-mail I can begin a law suit in order to get my details deleted or something :/

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

a pwn cocktail posted:

Facebook question!!!!

The technical side of this has been answered, but the practical side is, don't waste your time with that stupid app. The questions and answers are so inane and stupid that it's an absolute waste of time.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I don't know the intricate details, but the gist I get is deleting the app disallows them from seeing your information. Sending them a request to delete the information they have gathered up until that should be honored.

Of course the latter is probably meaningless because we all know once that data is out there it ain't coming back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A couple questions about browsers:

Am I missing a quick way to view the info about an image in Chrome? I.e. in Firefox I can right-click and choose "view image info."

How come some major Firefox extensions like Greasemonkey haven't been updated to be compatible with v.4 yet? It seems like when FF 3 was in beta, they had working versions much sooner.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What's the name of the model with really freakishly big blue eyes? She gets brought up in creepy photo threads quite a lot. I don't mean Allison Harvard (creepy-chan), I think this girl is Russian or Eastern European.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
What's the difference between buying something 'fulfilled by amazon', but sold by a third party, and buying something from amazon.com? Would the order come from the same place regardless of the seller you choose?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
It's more reputable for the seller to sell from Amazon then say, Craig's List, so buyers are more trustworthy because they have some solid form of recourse if something goes wrong. I'm guessing that Amazon gets a cut of the sale, but they don't handle the actual moving of the item, but I'm not 100% sure about that (maybe the seller can make a deal with Amazon.)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

helsabot posted:

What's the difference between buying something 'fulfilled by amazon', but sold by a third party, and buying something from amazon.com? Would the order come from the same place regardless of the seller you choose?

The main difference I care about is that items sold "fulfilled by Amazon" don't usually get free shipping on orders over $25.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

It's more reputable for the seller to sell from Amazon then say, Craig's List, so buyers are more trustworthy because they have some solid form of recourse if something goes wrong. I'm guessing that Amazon gets a cut of the sale, but they don't handle the actual moving of the item, but I'm not 100% sure about that (maybe the seller can make a deal with Amazon.)

This is incorrect.

Items sold by 3rd parties that are "Fullfilled by Amazon" means the 3rd party sold their goods to Amazon, and Amazon is taking care of the processing, shipping, and customer service. They are shipped from Amazon distribution centers and qualify for things like Amazon Prime.

Items not "Fullfilled by Amazon" from 3rd parties are being sold and shipped from the 3rd party's warehouse, and customer support is through the 3rd party.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200229160

Amazon.com posted:

Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) enables merchants to store inventory and fulfill orders from an Amazon.com fulfillment center.

With this innovative program, you can send inventory to an Amazon fulfillment center; when customers place orders, Amazon takes care of packing and shipping the products to your buyers. Your customers can combine your products with Amazon items and receive Super Saving Shipping and other benefits, such as customer service and returns support directly from Amazon.

BTW it's the 1st and 2nd result in Google for "Fullfilled by Amazon".

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I guess my actual question is, if I order a book from shop A, which is fulfilled by Amazon, and then the same book directly from amazon.com, would they be coming from the same pile of books

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
If I am filling some tube socks with gravel, and the gravel is a little bit wet (it came like that in the bag), and then I wrap the socks with duct tape (making some makeshift weights), will they get all moldy and nasty?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Orzo posted:

If I am filling some tube socks with gravel, and the gravel is a little bit wet (it came like that in the bag), and then I wrap the socks with duct tape (making some makeshift weights), will they get all moldy and nasty?

Do you plan on beating someone with said weights?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Bojanglesworth posted:

Do you plan on beating someone with said weights?
will this affect the mold factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Orzo posted:

will this affect the mold factor

Yes, because the blood from said beating will be warm and provide nutrients, thus creating an impromptu petri dish.

The best answer you're likely to get is "it might". You're putting moisture and a porous surface close together in a sealed environment, so yeah it could happen. Do you care, though? I mean it's going to be wrapped in tape anyway. And if it's going to be wrapped up, is there anything stopping you from replacing the sock with a plastic bag and just using a bit more tape?