Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think what we all really want to know is if you put a low quality filter on it, does that affect the taste of your drink? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I think what we all really want to know is if you put a low quality filter on it, does that affect the taste of your drink? :ohdear:
Coffee, probably not. Beer, a UV filter will actually help (behind temperature swings, UV light exposure is the biggest cause of skunked beer. Green and clear glass don't block it as well as brown, which is why Corona and Heineken are so often skunked.)

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I woke up at like, 2am, got up, packed my camera, got in the car, drove around 20 klicks to take a photo. Wandered around bushland in the height of nowhere for 30 minutes. Went back to my car, drove home, crawled into bed.

It's like I'm dedicated, but lazy. I don't get it.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 10, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehhhh, going to sell my Mamiya 645. I can't justify the cost of shooting film while unemployed anymore. Just going to concentrate on digital.

I feel pretty sad about it but I'm comforting myself with the thought that I'll be rolling in Hasselblads when I'm a rich man again.

Words can't express my :smith:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That's sad, but also the reason why I won't start on film. I'm taking a film class so I keep thinking, well I could just make my own darkroom and get my own set up and oh yeah that money thing... :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. If I hadn't bought a D200 and was in need of a lens I might have even sat on it. I'm fishing for a 35mm 1.8 so I'm hoping to unload it. I really did love that camera though :)

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Just got a new tattoo on friday.

Only had time for the line work, gonna be going back in a few weeks to get the shading done.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nonanone posted:

That's sad, but also the reason why I won't start on film. I'm taking a film class so I keep thinking, well I could just make my own darkroom and get my own set up and oh yeah that money thing... :(

You can that stuff for pennies on the dollar (if not less) though. My 4x5 enlarger was free, and I've spent maybe another $130 getting lenses, misc equipment, and paper/chemistry together. Still, if I was a student I'd rather use the stuff at school so I'm not lightproofing my bathroom and hauling a 4x5 enlarger + various and sundry in and out whenever I want to print :v:

Film isn't like digital where you can shoot as much as you want for "free", but at the same time the prices on equipment have pretty much bottomed out and you can always re-sell whatever you're done with for whatever you paid, sometimes more. Couple that with cheap Arista films for B&W and doing your own processing and it's not so bad.

I SEE THROUGH YOUR BULLSHIT MARTYOOF!

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Film schools are pretty awesome. I'm teaching an animation workshop and their tech department gave me a half dozen 50d's and a 1Ds Mk.III to play with for the week. Goddamn is that thing nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK then I'm allergic to film :haw:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Martytoof posted:

OK then I'm allergic to film :haw:

What part of the film? :crossarms:

If I see you around town eating jello....

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Martytoof posted:

You mean I'm not supposed to put the real ones in there?

Hey, if you had invested in the pentax weather resistant lenses...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

What part of the film? :crossarms:

If I see you around town eating jello....

The silver wrapping that the rolls come in.

If ONLY they came pre-opened. Alas!

guidoanselmi posted:

Hey, if you had invested in the pentax weather resistant lenses...

I'm desperately trying to think of a comeback but I'm surprisingly slow witted at 8am.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Continuing the conversation from a couple months ago, I have thousands of pictures organized only by date in Lightroom, and I need to clear off lots of hard drive space.

Is there any way to organize the pictures that have been edited in any way?

Just select all the ones that have been cropped/adjusted (or the reverse?)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

dunkman posted:

Continuing the conversation from a couple months ago, I have thousands of pictures organized only by date in Lightroom, and I need to clear off lots of hard drive space.

Buy another hard drive or something, storage is cheap these days and unless the photos are super awful, out of focus etc there is no real reason you should get rid of them. That said not sure how you would select edited files, often when you import a preset is added, thus editing it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
There is probably a way, as they get that little thing added to them on the thumbnails once they're cropped/edited, but I'm not really certain how to do that. You don't use the star rating to organize stuff? I use 1 star for things to be edited, 2 stars for edited, 3 stars for something I'm proud of, 4 for something I would put in my portfolio, and 5 hasn't been used yet. I also use the color markers but they're used for different things.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

dunkman posted:

You could create a Smart Collection in Lightroom. There should be a filter for selecting processed images only. Whether you can do a "Delete from disk" with that collection I don't know. Give it a try.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Buy another hard drive or something, storage is cheap these days and unless the photos are super awful, out of focus etc there is no real reason you should get rid of them. That said not sure how you would select edited files, often when you import a preset is added, thus editing it.
Yeah, even really noisy pictures and light and dark clipping aren't the end of the world. A pro photographer who's a friend of my mom said that every time a new version of Adobe Camera Raw has come out, she goes back to some of her older digital pictures to see how they look with new processes and finds that more of the rejects she kept are salvageable. Heck, just look at noise reduction and sharpening from Lightroom 2 to 3; by the time version 7 or 8 comes out we'll be able to sequence the DNA of the people in our pictures.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

GWBBQ posted:

Yeah, even really noisy pictures and light and dark clipping aren't the end of the world. A pro photographer who's a friend of my mom said that every time a new version of Adobe Camera Raw has come out, she goes back to some of her older digital pictures to see how they look with new processes and finds that more of the rejects she kept are salvageable. Heck, just look at noise reduction and sharpening from Lightroom 2 to 3; by the time version 7 or 8 comes out we'll be able to sequence the DNA of the people in our pictures.

And do like CSI and zoom in on that dude in the background to see what kind of underwear he's using with our x-ray-o-vision filter.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

subx posted:

...to see what kind of underwear he's using with our x-ray-o-vision filter.

go on...

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive
There has been a few scattered comments about programs that can handle RAW, and it seems i've stumbled upon a free, open source alternative:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
Lotsa good stuff on boingboing today..

Playstation ads
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54490598@N07/sets/72157624961995025/

Prague astronomical clock video projection
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/13/beautiful-video-mapp.html

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Interesting video by canon shot entirely with 8-15 f4L. Stuff after 3min mark was pretty amazing.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/samples/ef8-15_f4l_f_usm/player_with/movie.html?high

And the page with behind the scene footages
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/samples/ef8-15_f4l_f_usm/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DaNzA posted:

Interesting video by canon shot entirely with 8-15 f4L. Stuff after 3min mark was pretty amazing.

If you like impressive time lapse, you might love this: http://vimeo.com/3551875

I'm 100% sure it was posted here before but it's never a bad time to bring his work up.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

vikingtravels posted:

There has been a few scattered comments about programs that can handle RAW, and it seems i've stumbled upon a free, open source alternative:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Awkward URL.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

SKULE123 posted:

Awkward URL.

Cool, I'm not the only who sees bad things in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DaNzA posted:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/samples/ef8-15_f4l_f_usm/player_with/movie.html?high

And the page with behind the scene footages
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/samples/ef8-15_f4l_f_usm/

It's pretty ridiculous how small the gap between "video cameras" and "photo cameras" has become. My sister is a film student, and has never owned her own camera because of the cost of entry. Meanwhile, I'm all :smith: about the cost of a 7D.

I'm not saying Micheal Bay is gonna be doing his next movie on a DSLR, but it sure seems like it's only a matter of time before the shift happens.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dropped my DSLR today. At least I know it can take one drop from about 4'. :sigh:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

It's pretty ridiculous how small the gap between "video cameras" and "photo cameras" has become.

Speaking of which- this dropped in my inbox today:
http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/5d-3d

That team is doing stop-motion 3D video using a 5D mounted on a robotic arm. Manual kinematic control and software smoothing is used to drive the camera along its path twice- once for left eye and then offset by 3mm for the right eye.

What I found odd is their claim that transferring each JPG via ethernet took 7 seconds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The SLR ethernet/wifi interfaces tend to be pretty retarded in terms of throughput so that doesn't really surprise me.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I had this dumb assignment this morning to shoot an intersection in a residential neighborhood where parents are speeding to drop off kids for school but now they installed signs blah blah blah... anyway I was trying to get a picture of one of the signs in the foreground, with a police car recording video off to the left, and the main complaining resident in the frame just beyond the sign, which was all a pain in the rear end because I had to hold the camera over my head to do it.

After motordriving the poo poo out of the scene and still not getting the composition I wanted, I remembered, oh yeah, live view exists. :downs: 30 seconds later I was on my way home with the (lovely) frame I needed.

e: It's fun getting yelled at by cranky parents with nothing better to do. "WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF MY VEHICLE?"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

e: It's fun getting yelled at by cranky parents with nothing better to do. "WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF MY VEHICLE?"

Tell them that due to budget cuts, you're the new red light camera :v:

brad industry
May 22, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

The SLR ethernet/wifi interfaces tend to be pretty retarded in terms of throughput so that doesn't really surprise me.

The work around I use as a tech is to shoot small JPEG + RAW. The small JPEG transfers fast enough to make tethering worth it and the RAW files just save to the card.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Heads up to flickr or potential flickr pro users, you can get a free photo book for signing up or renewing your pro account, no idea what the book is like. http://blog.flickr.net/en/2010/10/15/go-pro-make-a-pretty-book-for-free/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, I've been meaning to renew my pro membership to get around the 100mb monthly limit. This is as good a time as any I guess :3:

Though I literally just purged my flickr to start over so I'm not exactly sure I'll have enough for a photobook :v:

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

I was gonna wait until I hit the 200 photo limit on my photostream or until I wanted to make a 4th set. Guess I'll be doin' it tonight instead!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Is there any specific reason the old contest thread is still pinned? I can't believe brad or pipes haven't noticed.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pwn posted:

Is there any specific reason the old contest thread is still pinned? I can't believe brad or pipes haven't noticed.

My girlfriend just commented on that and I have no idea why either. It's a little past expiry at this point I think.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went to a little photo show today, checked out this amazing UAV photo platform.

6 rotor RC, gyro stabilized, GPS control etc etc.

Similar to this: http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicopter/draganflyer-x6/ but it was a kit build. Guy said it cost about $5000 for all the bits, then many hours of building and testing. It can do some amazing stuff, low res video feed for control via radio or boosted bluetooth, full telemetry via same (gyro position, compass, altitude ++), it can keep its position (they used it to suspend a huge banner) or even follow a person. He had an app on his phone called Follow Me which talked to the helicopter. :allears:

I want one so bad I'm having serious problems controlling my bladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
The guy from gravityshots is working on mounting a dslr to one. For 5k, I'd just buy an ultralight.