Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Is Doug Loves Movies always like this? Great guests with Doug dragging it down with his whole "Ooops, I forgot I am a silly stoner durpa durpa" act.

I wouldn't say "always," but definitely way too often. He gets great guests a lot of the time, but he himself is oftentimes the weak link of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Is Doug Loves Movies always like this? Great guests with Doug dragging it down with his whole "Ooops, I forgot I am a silly stoner durpa durpa" act.

If you don't find stoners endearing, DLM is not the podcast for you.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Actually I would say that he gets really pissed when the guests sort of derail the show. His defense is to kind of flip out, which usually makes whoever is doing it continue to do it as a response to his flipping out. Non-productive.

Don't get me wrong. I love DLM and Doug, and if anything I hate that he's known as a "weed comedian". I think he's pretty quick and his best material has nothing to do with weed.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie

I think that was more Paul F. Tompkins and Pardo are amazing together. Seriously, those two need some kind of show together.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

I think that was more Paul F. Tompkins and Pardo are amazing together. Seriously, those two need some kind of show together.

No doubt! It's weird though, and I think I said it in this thread, if Pardo's doing the podcast thing and just talking he's GREAT! But, I just don't like his stand up much. Tompkins is a champ.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

No doubt! It's weird though, and I think I said it in this thread, if Pardo's doing the podcast thing and just talking he's GREAT! But, I just don't like his stand up much. Tompkins is a champ.

Yeah, I completely agree with you on that. On a similar topic, James Adomian seems like he's really only funny (and oh poo poo is he completely hilarious) when he's doing characters on CDR. Otherwise, nothing special. Seriously, his Huell Howser kills me.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Yeah, I completely agree with you on that. On a similar topic, James Adomian seems like he's really only funny (and oh poo poo is he completely hilarious) when he's doing characters on CDR. Otherwise, nothing special. Seriously, his Huell Howser kills me.

It would kill me if Dana Gould's wasn't vastly superior.:smug:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Majorian posted:

If only he would clear his throat. :(

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Oh man, Louis CK breaking up when he was talking about his daughter on part 2 of WTF was the most :3: thing ever.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

what's this poo poo

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."
Oh poo poo, there's going to be a live WTF in Dallas on the 19th at Trees. Any DFW goons going? I'm just curious how much tickets will be.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

what's this poo poo

The harsh but fair bitchslap of truth, sirrah. Gould's is vastly superior because it deals with Huell's barely-suppressed sexual proclivities and the murderous rage that lies beneath his thin-but-constant veneer of childish glee.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Majorian posted:

The harsh but fair bitchslap of truth, sirrah. Gould's is vastly superior because it deals with Huell's barely-suppressed sexual proclivities and the murderous rage that lies beneath his thin-but-constant veneer of childish glee.

But you gotta admit he is one phlegmy dude.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

But you gotta admit he is one phlegmy dude.

He really is - I wonder if he's a smoker.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

WTF was great this week. I cannot believe how hard Louis CK works.

Also, CDR had me cracking up when I heard the last half hour today -- hope Patrick McMahan returns with some more Johnny McGorey stories.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

WTF was great this week. I cannot believe how hard Louis CK works.

Also, CDR had me cracking up when I heard the last half hour today -- hope Patrick McMahan returns with some more Johnny McGorey stories.

CDR was loving great, I just love the episodes where they have characters, they're always hilarious.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!
I don't regularly listen to WTF but the one with Louis CK is really amazing. The last five minutes of part two is so goddam :smith: it was hard to listen to.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Steve Slavery posted:

CDR was loving great, I just love the episodes where they have characters, they're always hilarious.

There's something hilarious about hearing the dynamic between all the CDR hosts trying desperately to shift the responsibility of writing a limerick while staying in character.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

well. so does Adomian's, really

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

The latest CDR is great. I really like Andy Daly's crazy old man character.

"It's your father with the face of your mother and a bear hand and a hook for the other hand and in the bear hand is a knife!"

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

King Lou posted:

The latest CDR is great. I really like Andy Daly's crazy old man character.

"It's your father with the face of your mother and a bear hand and a hook for the other hand and in the bear hand is a knife!"

And he's on fire! But the fire doesn't hurt him but it can hurt you!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

There's something hilarious about hearing the dynamic between all the CDR hosts trying desperately to shift the responsibility of writing a limerick while staying in character.

This part was amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The guys they get to do CDR are so freaking good. Cosby-Bukowski shouldn't be funny, it really shouldn't. Two of the hackiest things in the world are Cosby impressions and "why, this person shouldn't be cursing!?!" humor, but somehow Jon Daly and Nick Swardson made it awesome. And as filthy and sick and weird as I know Andy Daly to be, he still manages to get a "what the gently caress?" out of me whenever he's on the show.

Speaking of WTF (segue!), Maron's interview with Louis CK was one of the best things I've ever heard on a podcast. From the story about the birth of his daughter to Louis dressing Marc down for being such a lovely friend... I don't know. Words fail me, other than to say it was unbelievably good. WTF can be kind of dull at times, but when it's good, there's nothing better. I have little tolerance for celebrity interviews, but the man knows how to make someone interesting. Howard Stern gets a lot of credit for his ability as an interviewer, and rightly so in my opinion, but Marc Maron makes him look like Jay Leno in comparison.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

The guys they get to do CDR are so freaking good. Cosby-Bukowski shouldn't be funny, it really shouldn't. Two of the hackiest things in the world are Cosby impressions and "why, this person shouldn't be cursing!?!" humor, but somehow Jon Daly and Nick Swardson made it awesome. And as filthy and sick and weird as I know Andy Daly to be, he still manages to get a "what the gently caress?" out of me whenever he's on the show.

It got pretty bad the more Swardson tried to inject his lovely Betty White humor. Nick Swardson for the most part is Not Funny.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

well. so does Adomian's, really

Eh, not quite as well, in my book. Don't get me wrong, I love Adomian's Huell too. But there's something special about Dana Gould's interpretation. Not the least of which is the fact that it's pretty much the only funny thing he does.:smith:

fake edit: Okay, "Shotgunnin' McCain" on the Carolla show was pretty funny too.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DangerDummy! posted:

Little known fact: The Addams Family started, when Uncle Fester farted. They all became retarded, The Addams Family!

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
I've been listening to season 3 of Never Not Funny and any time they make jokingly yell at Andrew Koenig I feel a little bad. I know it's really far away but I don't want to get to the episodes were he isn't there anymore :(

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

redz posted:

I've been listening to season 3 of Never Not Funny and any time they make jokingly yell at Andrew Koenig I feel a little bad. I know it's really far away but I don't want to get to the episodes were he isn't there anymore :(

I can't quite listen to those episodes anymore. It gets easier and the new ones are just as good. Elliot's camera work gets a little funky at times but he's a good shoe filler.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I wish the Pod F Tompkast was just an hour or whatever of him talking set to music.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Andy Daly is quickly becoming my favorite CDR guest.

The Mic
Aug 27, 2003

Over the hills and far away
Since when does Adam Carolla talk poo poo about Dr. Drew? It's a circlejerk of love with those two when Drew is on the podcast.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've been catching up on the Nerdist, and does anyone else have a hard time telling Chris and Matt apart?

People who surprised me how funny or interesting they are: Jon Hamm, Mike Shinoda, Rob Zombie, Adam Savage.

People who didn't surprise me how funny or interesting they are: Weird Al

And on the new Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, Jay mentions he wants to do a podcast of him and his friends playing D&D live at SModcastle which would rock.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

And on the new Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, Jay mentions he wants to do a podcast of him and his friends playing D&D live at SModcastle which would rock.

I believe they mentioned it being on THAT podcast, which I was hoping they wouldn't do. I play nerdy games but I can't stand D&D. I don't know if I would enjoy hearing even them playing it. I'm (for once) on Kevin's side of not wanting to participate. :D

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Mbmbam wont answer my question :smith:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Just discovered the magic that is 'Doug Loves Movies'. Can believe I slept on this one for so long.

Are only the last 25 eps or so on iTunes?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Paul F. Tompkins and his wife were on the latest Dork Forest (Jackie Kashian's podcast). They nerd out about clothing accessories and older video games a bit. I really can't get into the other shows so far, but this one was interesting.

The show itself focuses on really specific and, well, dorky topics, which is the point, but it makes it really hit and miss to listen to. One of the recent ones is just talking about Broadway musicals for the whole show, which I couldn't get into at all.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Sock The Great posted:

Just discovered the magic that is 'Doug Loves Movies'. Can believe I slept on this one for so long.

Are only the last 25 eps or so on iTunes?

Just Google his backlog. It's up somewhere, just not iTunes.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

People who surprised me how funny or interesting they are: Jon Hamm

I think Jon Hamm is a mark for comedians, in addition to the Nerdist he's been on Doug Loves Movies and Comedy Death Ray multiple times (which I guess is like the LA circuit?). He definitely holds his own though, he's legitimately a funny guy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wyld Cannon posted:

I think Jon Hamm is a mark for comedians, in addition to the Nerdist he's been on Doug Loves Movies and Comedy Death Ray multiple times (which I guess is like the LA circuit?). He definitely holds his own though, he's legitimately a funny guy.

He has also been on Sklarbro Country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

The_Rob posted:

He has also been on Sklarbro Country.

...and Never Not Funny. :colbert:

My friends and I were recently missing Walking with Michelle. I know it rarely updates, but it's an interesting podcast. Did she run out of places to walk? :(

• Locked thread