Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

MMAgCh posted:

Could be Bulletstorm.

Or maybe Necrovison since bulletstorm isn't out yet and I recall it has some sort of combo system and booting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
Holy Jesus I have one that's been bugging me all day and I have no idea why. I never played this very much and actually I'm pretty sure it was poo poo. But anyway...

It's a PS1 game. Not sure if it was released on any platforms. In it, you are a woman (blonde I'm pretty sure). The world (town? country?) has been taken over by this weird red/bloody stuff that covers everything and apparently kills people. I recall the opening cinematic was of a man sitting at home watching TV when the stuff came and began absorbing him and his house. The gameplay revolves around you piloting some sort of hovercraft type thing, and shooting enemies. That's it really. I don't think it was a particularly successful (or good) game, but if anyone has ideas I would appreciate it. I just went through a list of essentially every PS1 game and no names stuck out at me.

Edit: Nevermind! I found it! It's called "MachineHead"

Elijah. fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 10, 2010

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, this is pretty vague, but I remember this game I played when I was a kid on the Super Nintendo. I think it was an RPG, because I remember this weird world map of these little metal buildings connected by walkways (I think?), on top of a red, lava-ish landscape. I think it had some sort of Mode 7 effect going on. And I think all the buildings were named after body parts, like "The Head" or "The Brain" or something?

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008
Trying to remember this game from a very vague description. Super Nes, futuristic ninja styled side scroller. Quite a japanese anime style. Camera constantly scrolled sidewise and sometimes upwards. You could throw little ninja stars.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Does anyone remember some game where there was tilesets, and it was vaguely star wars themed at least. I remember the people were just like stormtrooper heads mostly, and there were blasters. I don't remember much else and everytime I look for it in the list of licensed and unlicensed star wars games I can't find it and I'm starting to think I made it up. This has been bugging me for years.

If I remember right, it played kinda like a zelda game. Puzzle/action.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Freelancepolice posted:

Trying to remember this game from a very vague description. Super Nes, futuristic ninja styled side scroller. Quite a japanese anime style. Camera constantly scrolled sidewise and sometimes upwards. You could throw little ninja stars.

Could this possibly be Ninja Warriors AGAIN?!

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

General Olloth posted:

Does anyone remember some game where there was tilesets, and it was vaguely star wars themed at least. I remember the people were just like stormtrooper heads mostly, and there were blasters. I don't remember much else and everytime I look for it in the list of licensed and unlicensed star wars games I can't find it and I'm starting to think I made it up. This has been bugging me for years.

If I remember right, it played kinda like a zelda game. Puzzle/action.

Yoda Stories?

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

al-azad posted:

Arcade game. It was an isometric fantasy action game with a graphical style similar to Treasure's Light Crusader except more detailed. The game began in a tavern where you choose your character and it had multiple branching paths each connected to a world map with a shop you could buy upgrades from.

Dungeon Magic AKA Light Bringer (Taito, 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCpf1SEb78

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Solvalou posted:

Dungeon Magic AKA Light Bringer (Taito, 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCpf1SEb78

That would be it, thank you. I knew it was Dungeon something but Dungeon Magic was also an NES game by Taito that was totally different.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Incredible Ed posted:

Could this possibly be Ninja Warriors AGAIN?!

Or maybe Hagane?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Crowetron posted:

So, this is pretty vague, but I remember this game I played when I was a kid on the Super Nintendo. I think it was an RPG, because I remember this weird world map of these little metal buildings connected by walkways (I think?), on top of a red, lava-ish landscape. I think it had some sort of Mode 7 effect going on. And I think all the buildings were named after body parts, like "The Head" or "The Brain" or something?

This sounds a lot like the futuristic area in Secret of Evermore to me.

Here's a picture of the overworld map, shortly before crashing into some city.

Rattelito
Oct 9, 2010

It's only a state of mind.
This one has been driving me nuts forever:

It was an old game for the C64. You started in the ocean on some kind of jet ski and then you boarded a ship where you ran around fighting some bad guys. And when you got caught or shot you didn't die, you got put in a prison cell (on the ship). And I’m pretty sure you didn't have any lethal weapons, just stun guns and sleep grenades.

I think the graphics for the hero was somewhat similar to the dude in Impossible Mission

That's all I've got, must be 20 years since I played it so I'm a bit shady on the details

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Rattelito posted:

This one has been driving me nuts forever:

It was an old game for the C64. You started in the ocean on some kind of jet ski and then you boarded a ship where you ran around fighting some bad guys. And when you got caught or shot you didn't die, you got put in a prison cell (on the ship). And I’m pretty sure you didn't have any lethal weapons, just stun guns and sleep grenades.

I think the graphics for the hero was somewhat similar to the dude in Impossible Mission

That's all I've got, must be 20 years since I played it so I'm a bit shady on the details
Probably not it, but the first thing this made me think of was Nexus.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I remember playing this strategy game on my granpa's computer in the late 90s, and now it's bugging the poo poo out of me because I can't find anything remotely like it. Here's the poo poo I can remember:

- Might've been on a (Finnish) "GAMES FOR WINDOWS 95!" CD
- Turn-based
- Top-down perspective, it was actually very similar to a board game in both look and design
- All players (four of them, I think?) had an assortment of different fantasy creatures on their team
- I can distinctly remember only a couple of units: one side had some hags, one side had a couple djinns (blue!) and I'm sure one side had unicorns
- No animations of any kind, all fighting was displayed with numbers or bars

If you can find this for me you could give a fellow goon the gift of a lovely trip down the memory lane. Thanks :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I asked about this one before in the other thread but might as well try again, maybe I'll have better luck this time:

quote:

In the 90s me and my brother got a box of floppy discs from a friend of our mother's. These discs hid numerous obscure DOS games, and one in particular I played the poo poo out of when I started learning English and was able to understand what was going on in the game. The box of floppies is long lost, but the memory of that game has stayed relatively fresh in my mind. I've looked for it on and off on the internet for years, pretty much whenever I've happened to remember it, but scouring through every single DOS and text game database has netted me a healthy amount of absolutely nothing even close to similar to that drat game.

Then I realized this thread exists.

Here's what I can recall:

- Entirely text-based (yellow text?)
- Basic idea: you're an adventurer whose aim is to find wealth, weapons, raise an army, find the Amulet/Sword of _____ and finally defeat an evil wizard/overlord by assaulting his tower with your forces
- Possibility to arm the band you'd gathered with found and bought equipment?
- All events were taken from a pool of happenings and encounters, the game was essentially endless unless you decided to attack the tower or managed to get yourself killed
- I think you might've had to have food to eat, otherwise you'd die of hunger
- Some random events I dug up from the cobwebs of my brain:
* Gypsy camp, you could play five-finger fillet and buy stuff
* City where you could buy gear and horsies
* Waterfall, could give you luck / change your gender / make you ugly / make you be attacked by trogdolytes
* A "thicket in woods" which was randomly inhabited by an insane wizard
* A mad king's castle where it was possible to find the essential magic item

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 11, 2010

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I remember playing this strategy game on my granpa's computer in the late 90s. and now it's bugging the poo poo out of me because I can't find anything remotely like it. Here's the poo poo I can remember:

- Might've been on a (Finnish) "GAMES FOR WINDOWS 95!" CD
- Turn-based
- Top-down perspective, it was actually very similar to a board game in both look and design
- All players (four of them, I think?) had an assortment of different fantasy creatures on their team
- I can distinctly remember only a couple of units: one side had some hags, one side had a couple djinns (blue!) and I'm sure one side had unicorns
- No animations of any kind, all fighting was displayed with numbers or bars

If you can find this for me you could give a fellow goon the gift of a lovely trip down the memory lane. Thanks :)

Econ's Arena:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/econs-arena

I used to love that buggy piece of crap. :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Solvalou posted:

Econ's Arena:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/econs-arena

I used to love that buggy piece of crap. :)

Hahhahahaha oh poo poo but gently caress YES, that has to be it. Thanks man :worship: :worship: :worship:

I'm gonna play the poo poo out of this when I get home.

Edit: Found it and installed it on my work computer instead, hahaha Jesus Christ this game is loving cryptic, I can't believe I actually was alright at this game when I was like nine years old and didn't know any English

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 11, 2010

Rattelito
Oct 9, 2010

It's only a state of mind.

MMAgCh posted:

Probably not it, but the first thing this made me think of was Nexus.

Hell yeah, that's it! Awesome, thanks!

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Plinth posted:

Yoda Stories?

Holy gently caress yes thank you, how did I miss this going through the list. I no longer feel 100% insane.

EDIT: hahaha it got terrible reviews, I hope it's just as painful and lovely and hard as I remember when I played it in 1998.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

General Olloth posted:

Holy gently caress yes thank you, how did I miss this going through the list. I no longer feel 100% insane.

EDIT: hahaha it got terrible reviews, I hope it's just as painful and lovely and hard as I remember when I played it in 1998.

Me and my sister used to play the poo poo out of this game, we loved it.

There was a Indiana Jones version too that we just had the demo of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, I asked about this one before in the other thread but might as well try again, maybe I'll have better luck this time:

Braminar.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

al-azad posted:

Braminar.

OH.

poo poo.

YES.

You are the best person ever. Jesus Christ. I've been looking for this game for so long it's not even funny anymire. Dude. gently caress. Oh my god.

This is the best thread ever and you are the best people ever.

:worship: :worship:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just to be a dick and hurt your pride, I found it in literally 5 minutes by going to mobygames and setting the search parameters to "interactive fiction" and "RPG."

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Okay, I am looking for an old game. Early 80's old.

It's a PC game which I played sometime between 1981 or 1983. The setting was one room with some furniture in it and your character was cat. The cat left footprints on the floor and was chased by a broom, which was following the footprints and cleaning them up. If the broom caught you, you lost a life. tTe longer you stayed alive, the more points you got. That's pretty much it.

Anybody remember that game? (I don't really expect it...)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, I am looking for an old game. Early 80's old.

It's a PC game which I played sometime between 1981 or 1983. The setting was one room with some furniture in it and your character was cat. The cat left footprints on the floor and was chased by a broom, which was following the footprints and cleaning them up. If the broom caught you, you lost a life. tTe longer you stayed alive, the more points you got. That's pretty much it.

Anybody remember that game? (I don't really expect it...)

Pretty sure this is Alley Cat. Wasn't someone else looking for the same thing?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure this is Alley Cat. Wasn't someone else looking for the same thing?

Hmmm. I only remember one room and it looks nothing like the rooms on Moby Games and I don't remember any mini-games either.

But then... 27 years!

Thanks.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

al-azad posted:

Just to be a dick and hurt your pride, I found it in literally 5 minutes by going to mobygames and setting the search parameters to "interactive fiction" and "RPG."

Goddamn. I never realized I should've looked for "interactive fiction", I'd always just searched with keywords like "text adventure" and "RPG". It also didn't help at all that I had no idea when the game was released...

But really, thanks dude :) This is loving awesome.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Theres a web based game that I've seen some people playing where there's basically images that represent a movie and you have to guess what the movie is. For example, The Rocker is represented by an image of a rocking chair and so forth. Anybody know what this is and where I can find it?

I believe you're looking for 50 Comedies. I'd forgotten how obnoxious the interface is (I recommend the image-only version), but now that I've found the game again I have to drop what I'm doing and play.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I remember playing a business game on PC a while back that was like a game development studio simulator. It was mostly text, and game play started sometime in the 70s.

I can't remember the name and google searches for things like "game developer simulation game" are fruitless.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Or maybe Necrovison since bulletstorm isn't out yet and I recall it has some sort of combo system and booting things.

It was Bulletstorm because Necrovision was never stickied but Bulletstorm was despite not being out.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
There was this game I used to play when I was a kid and it had three levels that would invert colors on the second round playing the three levels. It would also flash a confusing message after defeating bosses. It was on the sega master system and came with some racing game....

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Durgat posted:

There was this game I used to play when I was a kid and it had three levels that would invert colors on the second round playing the three levels. It would also flash a confusing message after defeating bosses. It was on the sega master system and came with some racing game....

Could this be Hang On & Safari Hunt: The Combo Cartridge?

Some Screenshots: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/hang-on-safari-hunt/screenshots There only seems to be 3 levels to Safari Hunt and Hang on is a well known racing game.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Could this be Hang On & Safari Hunt: The Combo Cartridge?

Some Screenshots: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/hang-on-safari-hunt/screenshots There only seems to be 3 levels to Safari Hunt and Hang on is a well known racing game.

No, but that is the racing game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Durgat posted:

No, but that is the racing game.

The only other hang on bundle on the Master System was with Astro Warrior: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/hang-on-astro-warrior/screenshots

More astro warriors: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/astro-warrior

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only other hang on bundle on the Master System was with Astro Warrior: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/hang-on-astro-warrior/screenshots

More astro warriors: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/astro-warrior

Magnificent. That is it, thank you.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

DarthJeebus posted:

I remember playing a business game on PC a while back that was like a game development studio simulator. It was mostly text, and game play started sometime in the 70s.

I can't remember the name and google searches for things like "game developer simulation game" are fruitless.

Software Manager?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

beef express posted:

Software Manager?

No, but that actually looks pretty interesting. The one I was thinking of came out relatively recently. Pretty sure it was freeware too.

The graphics were absolutely bare bone - It was pretty much just a single background on an MDI type of form containing child windows with numbers.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Was it GameBiz, or its sequel?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

HereticSenility posted:

Was it GameBiz, or its sequel?

That's it, thanks! Geez I knew it was kinda old, but I didn't think it was "Windows 3.1" old.

Edit: Okay so it's not technically that old, but I didn't think to look on Abandonia for it.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 17, 2010

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
This is going to be a really long shot, but I remember a top-down strategy game from windows 95/98 era, it was all cartoon graphics and cows had a large part to do with it. you built all kinds of buildings and cows must have been a unit or a currency or something? I dunno.

Anyone who gets this is literally deserving of an award.

edit: I think I found it. Crazy Cows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

That's it, thanks! Geez I knew it was kinda old, but I didn't think it was "Windows 3.1" old.

Edit: Okay so it's not technically that old, but I didn't think to look on Abandonia for it.

Actually, the first is about 2004 I think, it's more a (poor in execution) aesthetic. Abandonia Reloaded is kind of a sister site to Abandonia more dedicated to freeware as opposed to abandonware. I'm pretty sure updates are ridiculously infrequent these days.

EDIT: Looking at the news on the site, they're apparently going to change the name to just Reloaded, which makes total sense.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 17, 2010