Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The real problem is I'm capped at $153k right now, whereas I would imagine I would eventually make more than that as a prosecutor.

whitepersonproblems.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey it's ok to be ambitious, it's not like he's that professor complaining that $600k is "not that much" because he has to pay for private schools and maids and country club memberships.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

J Miracle posted:

The problem with this thread as a warning mechanism is the occasionally sprinkle of this poo poo right here

all the snowflakes just glom right onto it

All my JD got me was 6 months head start on the promotion track; you get hired with a bachelor's one accelerated promotion behind where I started.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Defleshed posted:

Imagine you're sitting on your porch drinking a beer and watching a line of people queue up outside a big building with a sign that says "Fun Ride $100K" and they are counting their money making sure they have enough and they have big smiles because they can't wait to get on the "Fun Ride" which is a bargain at any price. But you've been living here a while and you know that inside the building is not really a fun ride but just a big meat grinder they fall into and when you shout "hey, dude, it's not really a Fun Ride it is a giant meat grinder and they are going to push you in" the guys in line flip you off and talk about what a bitter rear end in a top hat you are. The law thread works the same way
the last 2 pages have been my favourite in recent memory

LSAT time is the best time

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The real problem is I'm capped at $153k right now, whereas I would imagine I would eventually make more than that as a prosecutor.
I'm not so sure about that. Downward pressure on prosecution costs is absurd. Unless you mean "eventually make more than that managing an army of patent agents churning out garbage applications at $6k apiece."

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is this

quote:

Extended unemployment benefits could make people less willing to take the jobs available

quote:

Donald Washkewicz, chief executive of industrial-parts maker Parker Hannifin Corp., says his company is being careful about hiring ahead of the November congressional elections. Uncertainty over issues such as tax increases and environmental policy, he says, are aggravating concerns about the broader economy: "Anything's possible in November. Things could get better for business—or they could get worse."

Couldn't resist those republican talking points, could you WSJ?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Defenestration posted:

What the hell is this

WSJ posted:

Extended unemployment benefits could make people less willing to take the jobs available

Short version: WSJ is stupid/evil.

Longer version: WSJ is very stupid/evil.

Gary Peeples
Oct 12, 2005
Passed the IL bar exam.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Gary Peeples posted:

Passed the IL bar exam.

:toot: Good for you man, now for all those juicy Chicago bribes to start rollin' in.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Petey posted:

Short version: WSJ is stupid/evil.

Longer version: WSJ is very stupid/evil.
I did not know and would be interested to hear more about this

Aristokles
Oct 5, 2010

by angerbot

Gary Peeples posted:

Passed the IL bar exam.

wait, when did they tell you? I thought they told everybody over a week ago.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

What source can I use as authority for the size of the Beaufort Sea? This is for journal. Do I dare use Wikipedia?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Tetrix posted:

What source can I use as authority for the size of the Beaufort Sea? This is for journal. Do I dare use Wikipedia?
use an almanac, or the New York Public Library Desk Reference, or an encyclopedia http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/57625/Beaufort-Sea

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Welp, I missed out on the 3L course selection lottery for spring semester. Seems rather likely that the courses I wanted to take will all be filled by the time the non-lottery course selection process begins.

This is just the proof I needed to show that I am the world's biggest piece of poo poo gently caress-up, even at simple poo poo like scheduling courses. Bullet, meet brain.

Edit: Whew, emailed the Assistant Dean and apparently the lottery hasn't actually run yet, so I can just email him my course list and there's at least some chance I might get my pick of courses. I'm still the world's biggest gently caress-up, but at least I might be a fortunate gently caress-up.

:smithicide:

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 11, 2010

cendien
Sep 14, 2008
Any Harvard 1/2/3L's around here? My school started teaching Legislation and Regulation from the Manning & Stephenson book this year, and I'm looking for some outlines as there are about zero supplements out there and no one at my school has taken it before.

Any help would be great. PM me or email me at cendien AT gmail.

Thanks!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Unamuno posted:

Welp, I missed out on the 3L course selection lottery for spring semester. Seems rather likely that the courses I wanted to take will all be filled by the time the non-lottery course selection process begins.

This is just the proof I needed to show that I am the world's biggest piece of poo poo gently caress-up, even at simple poo poo like scheduling courses. Bullet, meet brain.

Edit: Whew, emailed the Assistant Dean and apparently the lottery hasn't actually run yet, so I can just email him my course list and there's at least some chance I might get my pick of courses. I'm still the world's biggest gently caress-up, but at least I might be a fortunate gently caress-up.

:smithicide:

and I forgot to register for grad photos.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Unamuno posted:

My course selection choices are so bad that I'm forced to take mostly criminal law.

Aristokles
Oct 5, 2010

by angerbot

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

and I forgot to register for grad photos.

Congratulations on avoiding the wall of shame!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

CaptainScraps posted:

My course selection choices are so bad that I'm forced to take mostly criminal law.

How dare you.

quote:

Congratulations on avoiding the wall of shame!

I assure you I don't want my picture up there, but my parents yelled at me when they found out.

I have to pay a $25 sitting fee and can't even bring my own shirt to wear, gently caress that poo poo.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I have to pay a $25 sitting fee and can't even bring my own shirt to wear, gently caress that poo poo.

Among one of the composite pictures located in the bowels of the library here at KU, there is an especially nerdy looking dude wearing a Badfinger band t-shirt.

It makes my day when I see it on the way to Federal Tax Procedure every Monday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

You might find salvation there.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

cendien posted:

Any Harvard 1/2/3L's around here? My school started teaching Legislation and Regulation from the Manning & Stephenson book this year, and I'm looking for some outlines as there are about zero supplements out there and no one at my school has taken it before.

Thanks!

There are several - check the OP for the list.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tetrix posted:

Just make the footnote say "I measured it"

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

cendien posted:

Didn't see any Manning or Stephenson outlines in our outline bank and I took Leg Reg from a visiting prof who taught out of the Eskridge book. Any supplement for Admin should work pretty well though. Most Leg Reg classes focus on some combination of statutory interpretation/canons, the APA, and Chevron/State Farm and other agency interpretation cases. All of that should be covered by an Admin supplement.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ewr2870 posted:

Didn't see any Manning or Stephenson outlines in our outline bank and I took Leg Reg from a visiting prof who taught out of the Eskridge book. Any supplement for Admin should work pretty well though. Most Leg Reg classes focus on some combination of statutory interpretation/canons, the APA, and Chevron/State Farm and other agency interpretation cases. All of that should be covered by an Admin supplement.

Just as an aside, Eskridge is pretty much off-the-wall insane. I do not envy anyone using that book if he writes like he talks about law stuff.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I found an outline for LegReg but it spells "canons" as "cannons" throughout the entire outline. I decided I'm gonna skip out on using that one as a framework for mine.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Omerta posted:

I found an outline for LegReg but it spells "canons" as "cannons" throughout the entire outline. I decided I'm gonna skip out on using that one as a framework for mine.

maybe it was actually an outline for maritime law??

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

cendien posted:

Thanks!

Visiting prof, Vermeule here, sorry. Try the Funk/Seamon admin law E&E?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
2L Summer:

Quinn Emanuel v. Latham v. Kirkland (all NYC).

FIGHT!

(I would like to someday be a trial lawyer, but also don't want to work 300+ hours more a year for the same money. I liked Latham the best out of the three and have a relevant contact there as well.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Napoleon I posted:

2L Summer:

Quinn Emanuel v. Latham v. Kirkland (all NYC).

FIGHT!

(I would like to someday be a trial lawyer, but also don't want to work 300+ hours more a year for the same money. I liked Latham the best out of the three and have a relevant contact there as well.)

Quinn Emanuel, hands down. You know, so you don't get laid off constantly.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
But I don't have to bill if I get laid off...

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
Asked a firm for an interview when they were done with their assigned OCI slots.

It felt like it went quite well.

*tears*

I just want a job.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Quinn Emanuel, hands down. You know, so you don't get laid off constantly.

Isn't Quinn NYC like 20 people, though?

FWIW Quinn is a very love hate kind of firm, which I suppose already puts it a cut above the usual hate hate kind of firm.

Aristokles
Oct 5, 2010

by angerbot

Napoleon I posted:

...then be a prosecutor, or pd. How is this even a competition?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Daico posted:

Asked a firm for an interview when they were done with their assigned OCI slots.

It felt like it went quite well.

*tears*

I just want a job.

Me too friend. Me too :(

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If you aren't sure, just go with the most prestige, because it's going to be better exit opportunities.

Also, why does nobody think anything about my idea? :(

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
If this will make people considering law school consider again:

I'm a special snowflake who did well on the LSAT and got a full scholarship at a top 14 school (Northwestern), which is deferred until Fall 2011, and I'm seriously considering not going. We'll see in about a year. I'd say right now there's a 50% chance that I'll either defer for another year, which they just told me I can do, or just not go.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 12, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Napoleon I posted:

Assuming, vaguely (oh, so, very vaguely), that this is not a troll...

You need to understand that you will literally never see the inside of a courtroom for at least 5, if not 10 years after being hired by anyone but a prosecutor / PD. And I really genuinely mean, from experience, that you will not see the inside of a courtroom for any reason. If you work at Dorsey or Faegre or some poo poo, you won't do anything but sweatshop motions 28/7 until you've earned your stripes.

I mean, everyone is laughing at you as a pretty good troll, but still sighing at you as a pretty good moron. Just in case some poor 0L takes you seriously, I feel compelled to respond.

Edit: Let this be a lesson that those of us who have been in the thread for six years aren't sure who's being an accidental moron and a purposeful moron.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 12, 2010

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

If this will make people considering law school consider again:

I'm a special snowflake who did well on the LSAT and got a full scholarship at a top 14 school (Northwestern), which is deferred until Fall 2011, and I'm seriously considering not going. We'll see in about a year. I'd say right now there's a 50% chance that I'll either defer for another year, which they just told me I can do, or just not go.

Not to mislead people as to the true horror of law, but I'm a 1L here and loving it. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Adar posted:

Isn't Quinn NYC like 20 people, though?

FWIW Quinn is a very love hate kind of firm, which I suppose already puts it a cut above the usual hate hate kind of firm.

I thought they Quinn works you to the bone, lets you regenerate flesh, then works you to the bone again just to make sure as well. That might just be LA though.

Can you still wear jeans in NYC?