Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A lot of the Director's Cut stuff is really dumb but I actually kind of like the random gargoyle heads and stuff because the shots are composed in such a way that they are rarely the first thing you notice. When you see them in stills they look a lot shittier than they seem when you're actually watching the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Target will have an exclusive digibook version of The Sound of Music.

I'm probably the only person here who digs these things, but just in case...

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

doctor thodt posted:

Target will have an exclusive digibook version of The Sound of Music.
I'm probably the only person here who digs these things, but just in case...

Got my first digibook with Se7en and think it's pretty neato, so I may jump for this, seeing as it's one of my favorite movies.

By the way, why is there such adversity to 'em? I mean I guess I've read people prefer the traditional cases but I've never heard a real "why" they do.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

William Pahllace posted:

Got my first digibook with Se7en and think it's pretty neato, so I may jump for this, seeing as it's one of my favorite movies.

By the way, why is there such adversity to 'em? I mean I guess I've read people prefer the traditional cases but I've never heard a real "why" they do.

Probably because they're sperglords so everything must be uniform and perfect on the shelf.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

William Pahllace posted:

Because cardboard is easy to damage and impossible to replace the entire thing easily without buying a new one? It's why I dislike CD digipaks, too. drat NIN.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I find I can tolerate my crippling, sperglord anxiety by segregating from one another the normal boxes, criterion releases and digibooks.

I think I might pop out to pick up The Exorcist, I've never seen it and only got the inkling to watch it a couple years ago and have been holding off for the blu ray. I can't imagine ever watching the director's cut after seeing those screens :barf:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I have the King Kong digibook winging its way over to me. I absolutely cannot wait, it's killing me. It's going to take pride of place in my collection and I will watch it daily because I loving love King Kong.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Amazon Boxset Deal Of The Week is Dexter Seasons 1-4. $94.99 (which comes out to about $23 a season)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N0QE3Q?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003N0QE3Q

Blodskur posted:

Because cardboard is easy to damage and impossible to replace the entire thing easily without buying a new one? It's why I dislike CD digipaks, too. drat NIN.

Not to mention that there is never anything of value in the digibook. Just pictures and info you can get from imdb. There's no reason why they couldn't just shrink down everything and put it into a nice booklet besides not being able to charge extra for nothing

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 10, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Man, I'm really excited for the Criterion editions of Antichrist and Videodrome, both due out before the end of the year. Those will probably be my first Criterion purchases. What other Criterions should I look at snagging and where can I get them cheap this time of year?

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Man, I'm really excited for the Criterion editions of Antichrist and Videodrome, both due out before the end of the year. Those will probably be my first Criterion purchases. What other Criterions should I look at snagging and where can I get them cheap this time of year?

I just started with Revanche, Paris, Texas, Gimme Shelter and The Leopard, and they all look fantastic. That, plus The Thin Red Line, Paths of Glory and Charade are amazing from what I hear. Plus, House on October 26th.

I believe Barnes & Noble is starting another Criterion sale on November 9th, although I'm not sure if it's an in-store only deal or online as well (I missed the last sale by a week). That'll be when I buy my next wave, at least. However, Amazon usually has some good standard prices too, if you find something you can't wait for. Criterion's Blu-Ray releases so far have been top-notch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

A Futbol Injustice posted:

What other Criterions should I look at snagging...?

The Blu-Rays are all incredibly excellent, but really, you can't go wrong with The Seventh Seal (well, you can, if you try to shove it up your butt or something). Revanche is also really good, one of my favorite films from 2008. The Red Shoes, Playtime, 8 1/2, Days Of Heaven, Wings Of Desire, absolutely all A+ stuff.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 10, 2010

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was particularly impressed by the video quality of Che, I don't believe any of the other Criterion blu-rays besides Benjamin Button were filmed in digital. Also I think For All Mankind is neat to have.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Cacator posted:

I was particularly impressed by the video quality of Che, I don't believe any of the other Criterion blu-rays besides Benjamin Button were filmed in digital. Also I think For All Mankind is neat to have.

Antichrist and The Secret of the Grain were also shot on digital.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I own (or have pre-ordered):

El Norte
Charade
The Thin Red Line
Seven Samurai
The Magician
Paths of Glory
House
The Darjeeling Limited
Night of the Hunter
For All Mankind
The Seventh Seal
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
The Third Man
Playtime
8 1/2
Days of Heaven
Bottle Rocket
Last Year at Marienbad
Repulsion
By Brakhage
Close-Up

So if you want to be like me (and I know you do), get those.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Kagemusha's transfer is beautiful, must have.

M has a ton of special features on it that explore the film a lot more as does The Third Man which is out of print but I found a copy for $60.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I own (or have pre-ordered):

Repulsion
Oh poo poo, this is on Blu-Ray?

Must buy.

Must buy now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yes, and it totally rules.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Holy poo poo, that's one of my favorites, and it looks loving incredible.

Christmas comin' early this year.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Man With No Name Trilogy dropped down to $29.99 on Amazon. I think the last sales point awhile ago was $27.99 so this is good if you missed that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EYEF2S?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003EYEF2S

Also Ghostbusters is down to $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00164GDD2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00164GDD2

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus are must-have Criterions. Two excellent films, both with outstanding 3-strip Technicolor photography and A+ remastering. I can't wait until the new Colonel Blimp restoration is finished since that'll be another knockout.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey, I remember quite a few pages ago, someone linked to a program that made Power DVD (and other programs) switch regions. Does anyone have a link to that program, because holy hell I can not find it in this mammoth of a thread.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

Hey, I remember quite a few pages ago, someone linked to a program that made Power DVD (and other programs) switch regions. Does anyone have a link to that program, because holy hell I can not find it in this mammoth of a thread.

It was most likely AnyDVDHD

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Easy A 12/21
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest 1/4
Piranha 3D 12/28
True Grit (1969) 12/14

I am Love reviewed
Magic reviewed

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sporadic posted:

It was most likely AnyDVDHD

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Thanks, that's not it, but, I found what I was looking for by entering a non-moronic search term.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 11, 2010

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Went all out and bought:

Modern Family
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Mad Men Season 2
Blood Into wine
Always Sunny Season 5

Looks like I'll be busy for awhile.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blu-Ray.com posted:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced Orlando for Blu-ray release on December 21. This period drama, based on a novel by Virginia Woolf, stars Tilda Swinton as an English nobleman who lives for 500 years and changes sex halfway. The BD will feature all the bonus content from the special-edition DVD released two months ago.

Motherfuckers, I bought the new DVD. They could have announced them at the same time.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

There is a 50% off coupon at Borders for blurays and I just picked up Walkabout. Haven't seen it before, but everything I have read / seen makes it look like a great blind buy.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

fromsinkingsands posted:

Went all out and bought:

Always Sunny Season 5

Looks like I'll be busy for awhile.

Good choice on the Blu-Ray version. The DVD version is apparently a bad batch or something; lots of problems with disc 2 of the set.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's Always Sunny Season 5 blu-ray is an upscale

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody have an Insignia NS-WBRDVD player? CowBoom has a refurbished one on sale for $77.99 and I was seriously thinking about grabbing one.

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Sporadic posted:

Anybody have an Insignia NS-WBRDVD player? CowBoom has a refurbished one on sale for $77.99 and I was seriously thinking about grabbing one.

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm

I do, it's a little loud but it's done the job. The only problem right now is it can't play the Anchorman blu-ray without skipping scenes, but they are working on it.

There was a recent Firmware update that resolved a similar issue, but it didn't take care of Anchorman for some reason.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Comfortador posted:

I do, it's a little loud but it's done the job. The only problem right now is it can't play the Anchorman blu-ray without skipping scenes, but they are working on it.

There was a recent Firmware update that resolved a similar issue, but it didn't take care of Anchorman for some reason.

That's good to know.

Any issues with Netflix playback?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

no way

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Hahaha where did you get that, that's pretty good.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apocalypse Now reviewed

edit: and Hausu

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 12, 2010

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Sporadic posted:

That's good to know.

Any issues with Netflix playback?

None at all to my knowledge, I use it all the time.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I hate to say it, but the Masters of Cinema DVD release of House looks better than the Criterion Blu-Ray. It looks more vibrant, and while grain is always a plus, the lack of grain isn't a bad thing so long as it hasn't been filtered to look waxy. Plus, the DVD Beaver guy says the MoC DVD sounds better.

Weird...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fayez Butts posted:

no way

Please tell me this is loving real.

Please.

This is the best worst movie and all my friends love it.

"You're tearing me apart Lisa!"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Apocalypse Now reviewed

edit: and Hausu
What's going on in the screenshot with the veil? Why does the Criterion version have a purple filter happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vintersorg posted:

Please tell me this is loving real.

Please.

This is the best worst movie and all my friends love it.

"You're tearing me apart Lisa!"

Of course it's not real.

Wiseau does say he's working on the Blu-Ray release, though.

edit:
A Beautiful Mind - 1/25/11
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 1/25/11

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 13, 2010

• Locked thread