Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Orzo posted:

If I am filling some tube socks with gravel, and the gravel is a little bit wet (it came like that in the bag), and then I wrap the socks with duct tape (making some makeshift weights), will they get all moldy and nasty?

Small/stupid question: can you not let the gravel dry out a little first? Spread it out onto a newspaper or a towel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns
Is there way to get videos in a playlist on Youtube to shuffle?

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
I have a friend in berlin living in an apartment. I was given an address such as:

Name
blahbla Str. #1534
10155 Berlin
Germany

... Where do you put the apartment number? Is that just not a consideration?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Drimble Wedge posted:

Small/stupid question: can you not let the gravel dry out a little first? Spread it out onto a newspaper or a towel?
attempting to do that, it's just a pain in the rear end with little space and no yard (high rise)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

mrbucket posted:

I have a friend in berlin living in an apartment. I was given an address such as:

Name
blahbla Str. #1534
10155 Berlin
Germany

... Where do you put the apartment number? Is that just not a consideration?

Apartment number is always the last piece of the street address. If it's one line, two, or more it's always last.

In your example your letter would reach: Gerany>Berlin>10155 (shortcut)>blahbla Str>#1534 *or* "name".

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Apartment number is always the last piece of the street address. If it's one line, two, or more it's always last.

In your example your letter would reach: Gerany>Berlin>10155 (shortcut)>blahbla Str>#1534 *or* "name".

I was under the impression that the #1534 was the number of the building on the street and I should write something like "wohnung #20" under the name or under the address. I'm not sure if the my friend's names are on the mailbox or not.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
In the US, at least, it's formatted:

John Smith
123 Fake St, Apt 407
Nowhere, NV, 78202

The normal-ish formatting of the lines makes sure that it gets to the correct postman, who then is capable of putting it in the right mailbox when he gets to the apartment complex.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Orzo posted:

attempting to do that, it's just a pain in the rear end with little space and no yard (high rise)

Put the gravel on a pan or something in your oven, with it turned to about 200 degrees or so. It'll quickly dry though obviously you'll need to wait for them to cool down later.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

hooah posted:

Am I missing a quick way to view the info about an image in Chrome? I.e. in Firefox I can right-click and choose "view image info."

You need an extension to do this easily: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/khagclindddokccfbmfmckaflngbmpon

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

mrbucket posted:

I was under the impression that the #1534 was the number of the building on the street and I should write something like "wohnung #20" under the name or under the address. I'm not sure if the my friend's names are on the mailbox or not.

You're right, the #1534 is usually the building number. If you didn't get a special apartment number (which is not common in Germany anyway), then the name will be on the mailbox/building.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
If there's a better forum for this, let me know.

I'm looking for a cheap webcam setup that'll let me put a camera somewhere (transmitting over wifi), then send images/video from it to a website. I know there's a billion ways to do this, I've just never messed with it before; it's a present for my wife, we're going out of town and I'd like to point it at our cats' favorite sleeping place. :3:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jackpot posted:

If there's a better forum for this, let me know.

I'm looking for a cheap webcam setup that'll let me put a camera somewhere (transmitting over wifi), then send images/video from it to a website. I know there's a billion ways to do this, I've just never messed with it before; it's a present for my wife, we're going out of town and I'd like to point it at our cats' favorite sleeping place. :3:

You can try Orb. It might be more than you need though. It will do your webcam, audio files, video files, photos, tv tuner, anything you want really.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
There's a photo here of a still from Wes Craven's new "film" My Soul to Take that I'd like to use in a press release.
It is on imdb and yahoo movies, and is an official still provided by Rogue Pictures with a credit and a caption:
"Above: Max Thieriot and director Wes Craven on the set of "My Soul to Take." Photo Credit: Nicole Rivelli / Rogue – © 2010 Rogue Pictures. All Rights Reserved."

Can I, and others I send it to, re-publish that on the web and in print (yes, I realize it's not print quality) as long as I include that line? I assume it was sent out as part of a package and is intended to be freely distributed.

Should I ask in the CC 'small questions' thread instead?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Is there a site or database somewhere that catalogues nineteenth century steel engravings?

I mean of this kind:

Click here for the full 740x455 image.

Click here for the full 483x650 image.

These both happen to be somewhat romantically orientalist, but there's a lot of them of different buildings, animals, persons and whatever.
Though they were basically the photographs of the 19th century, I'd hope that someone somewhere would have at least tried to make a list of what's available.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Very Strange Things posted:

There's a photo here of a still from Wes Craven's new "film" My Soul to Take that I'd like to use in a press release.
It is on imdb and yahoo movies, and is an official still provided by Rogue Pictures with a credit and a caption:
"Above: Max Thieriot and director Wes Craven on the set of "My Soul to Take." Photo Credit: Nicole Rivelli / Rogue – © 2010 Rogue Pictures. All Rights Reserved."

Can I, and others I send it to, re-publish that on the web and in print (yes, I realize it's not print quality) as long as I include that line? I assume it was sent out as part of a package and is intended to be freely distributed.

Should I ask in the CC 'small questions' thread instead?

For what reason do you want to use it?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Loopyface posted:

For what reason do you want to use it?

There are at least two of my company's t-shirt designs in the film -two of them appear in the trailer: that frog metamorphosis t-shirt in the linked picture and a glow-in-the-dark constellations t-shirt.
I've emailed the photographer directly and haven't heard back yet. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want more non-negative mention of the movie, even in small town papers.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I'm looking to get a cheapish pair of headphones (~$50) for listening to music at work (desk job) because my current pair is literally falling apart. I'm thinking skullcandy, since I really like the quality/price of their ink'd earbuds. Anyone who knows what they're talking about have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? I'm open to other brands, I just don't know what I'm looking for, and I see that skullcandy has a couple of models which fit nicely in my price range.

vvv: Thanks.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 12, 2010

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm looking to get a cheapish pair of headphones (~$50) for listening to music at work (desk job) because my current pair is literally falling apart. I'm thinking skullcandy, since I really like the quality/price of their ink'd earbuds. Anyone who knows what they're talking about have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? I'm open to other brands, I just don't know what I'm looking for, and I see that skullcandy has a couple of models which fit nicely in my price range.

Let's Talk About Headphones III: A new forum, whynot?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is this thread deleted or what?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3325589

It's the "Blogs that read like a trainwreck" thread.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Is this thread deleted or what?

Yes.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Weird. I wonder why.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Weird. I wonder why.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355330

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Well "yep" doesn't exactly explain much.

I'm curious mostly because some geek was threatening to call the internet police because people were commenting on his blog.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

EricBauman posted:

Is there a site or database somewhere that catalogues nineteenth century steel engravings?

Short answer is no. This type of thing is a huge undertaking, not only because of the amounts of materials but also even knowing just what exists. Cataloging on the magnitude you are asking about is nearly impossible, especially for a sole institution. Add to the number of potential images to the extreme difficulty of describing images via text (graphics cataloging) and you have something that will probably never be complete and consolidated, even for one particular type of medium and period.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

I just volunteered to make my company a new website. Nothing complicated, just a few nicely set out pages about the business and whatever. I assumed it'd be easy but am now unsure where to start. Whats a good program for this? I looked at Wordpress but that seemed to be all about blogs, and microsoft publisher didnt look the best. I dont really want to learn HTML and kind of assumed there'd be some easy to use software.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Just go to a site you like and click "file" then "save as" and copy it to your webserver.

Seriously though, dreamweaver is pretty easy to use and has a nice interface and also a 30 day trial that should be enough for your initial design purposes.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

E: By the way although the saving someone elses website was a joke it's useful to get ideas on how to make your site not suck.

EE: There's also a ton of free ones out there.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2010

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I just volunteered to make my company a new website. Nothing complicated, just a few nicely set out pages about the business and whatever. I assumed it'd be easy but am now unsure where to start. Whats a good program for this? I looked at Wordpress but that seemed to be all about blogs, and microsoft publisher didnt look the best. I dont really want to learn HTML and kind of assumed there'd be some easy to use software.

You can easily set up Wordpress for non-blog use, because it uses normal pages like any other website. I do recommend it, I find it super easy to work with, and it's got loads of plug-ins if you need something special.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Not A Vet Yet posted:

If you don't want to learn how to make a website why did you volunteer?

You don't know what you're letting yourself in for either - I'm doing a website for my company (where I work as a LIMS administrator, not a web dev) and the project has gotten so much larger than I imagined it would do. I've learned a loving tonne of poo poo in the past 7 months and the site still isn't ready. Then you'll be responsible for maintenance once you're done, expect stupid requests all the time, and if you're not prepared to learn how to make a site properly, you won't be having a fun time when they ask you to create new pages or change the theme.

Own up to not knowing what you're doing and tell them to get a contractor in.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Well "yep" doesn't exactly explain much.

I'm curious mostly because some geek was threatening to call the internet police because people were commenting on his blog.
That would explain the "yep." It's akin to this post from the locked thread:

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, they do this to get rid of threads that contain something that would be too much of a hassle to go through every post and fix so it just gets moved to an area that general users can't access (usually the mod forum.) An example of this is the goon who posted pics of a stupid sci-fi con they went to and it got so popular that people who actually went there (and weren't forum members) took offense and started harassing the person who started the thread in real life.
Rather than strip the thread of drama, it's easier to just hide it and move on.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

Be sure you know what you're getting into before you volunteer to do something. If you don't think it's complicated, learning HTML shouldn't be a problem.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 12, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

WillieWestwood posted:

That would explain the "yep." It's akin to this post from the locked thread:

Rather than strip the thread of drama, it's easier to just hide it and move on.

Hmm good point. Maybe I missed something because it really wasn't a big deal, just some goofball sperging about anything/everything.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I just volunteered to make my company a new website.
:lol: you got suckered, is what happened.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I looked at Wordpress but that seemed to be all about blogs, and microsoft publisher didnt look the best.
Wordpress is great, but there's a learning curve. The nice thing about wordpress is that you can download 'themes' - basically entire websites, all the graphics and code bundled up in one zip file - and install them on your wordpress site in a couple of clicks. I suggest you start there, because it's your best bet for putting together a nice looking site with little to now knowledge of web design. Smashing Magazinek has some great resources on wordpress, check them out. There's also a Wordpress thread. And don't worry about wordpress being about blogs - it's much, much more than that if you figure out how to use it. Go to the SA thread and ask those guys about it, they know what they're doing and can help you out (although in your case they may just tell you to hire someone - seriously, building a website with no experience is not a small undertaking).

Some Wordpress Themes

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I dont really want to learn HTML and kind of assumed there'd be some easy to use software.
There is software (search download.com for 'wysiwyg'), but the easier it is to use, the shittier the results. And the results can be very lovely.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

Look for “WYSIWYG” (What You See Is What You Get) freeware. I started out on Arachnophobia ages ago and use Dreamweaver CS4 now. Don't know what the good WYSIWYG freeware editors are anymore. You may find yourself actually enjoying the god-like powers of HTML and CSS, if you're not careful. :v:

If you use Firefox as your browser, you can get the Web Developer add-on. One of its tools allows one to view the source code of an entire page or a highlighted section of a page when you see something good/bad that piques your curiosity. I'm sure other browsers have similar features available. Don't steal code, though. That's bad form.

By the way, how will the site be hosted? That will affect your learning curve, too. Some services have templates and walk-throughs for folks wanting basic information/contact pages or placeholders.

e: ^ WYSIWYGBeaten ^

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

FLX posted:

I've got a stock market related question. A couple of days ago, when the rumor came up that Microsoft might acquire Adobe, Adobe's stock price jumped up by 17%. Why did that happen? If I owned Adobe stocks, I wouldn't be happy about someone buying the company. I obviously have no clue about stocks and all of this, but I thought that generally takeovers aren't necessarily a good thing if the company isn't in trouble. (Is Adobe in trouble?)
If someone wants to buy a company, it means that they want to get a controlling share of the total stock (>50%, or 75% depending on what exactly they plan to do and local laws)
Obviously they'll need to buy these shares from the stock market. People unrelated to this takeover will speculate that the company planning the hostile takeover will want to buy the shares even if the price of an individual share increases, because in order to achieve the takeover they'll need a controlling stake. So, you start buying stock because you plan on selling it later when the takeover happens.
Simple mechanics of supply and demand come into play, the more people trying to make a profit by buying shares to sell them at a later date when a takeover may happen decreases the supply of freely available shares, thereby increasing the price.

This is completely unrelated to the actual value of a company or wether or not it is in "trouble".

Some takeovers have the goal of acquiring all the assets of a company, in this case probably the technologies and patents owned by Adobe, in order to either sell them off or incorporate them into the buying companies' assets. This can be bad for the people employed by Adobe, sure. But if the management can't avoid a hostile takeover, then that's that.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 12, 2010

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Thanks for the advice guys. And all the warnings. If this does become too difficult/boring I'll just back out, no harm done. I'm setting up dreamweaver now so I'll see how that goes. Wordpress is plan B.

Thanks!

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Arriviste posted:

By the way, how will the site be hosted? That will affect your learning curve, too. Some services have templates and walk-throughs for folks wanting basic information/contact pages or placeholders.

Don't know yet. They've got some terrible site at the moment that looks like it was automatically generated. The plan is to put together some half decent looking few pages offline and get the ok from the boss then actually take over the hosting and whatever.

Yes I know I am not doing this the best possible way. It is the stupid questions thread after all.

Checking out that firefox app as well....

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Just make sure you use a lot of frames and flashing marquee text! ;)

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Just make sure you use a lot of frames and flashing marquee text! ;)

Marquee is deprecated :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Flash can easily make up for any shortcomings in web functionality. :v:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

All the best sites use depreciated tags, and javascript from 100 different hosts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Make sure you use a midi file for the background sound. A lot of amateurs will use mp3 or even wav files but those use a lot of bandwidth.