Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

quote:

mohawk!

If I can convince my wife, I'd absolutely do it. Looks like I have a project this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

CubanRefugee posted:

If I can convince my wife, I'd absolutely do it. Looks like I have a project this weekend.

Just so you know, hairspray is safe for dogs, if you spray it on your hands first, and rub it in the hair instead of spraying it by his eyes.... Just sayin.....

Also, I LOVE doing mohawks on dogs. For the best one, you have to shave the sides off. Then when you stand the middle up, you can shape it really well. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
When did dog sketches for the human society last summer, this couple had a dachshund with the most adorable and extreme, natural mohawk I have ever seen on a dog. It was hilarious. I wish I took my camera, I won't forget this year.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fire In The Disco posted:

I use open Sterilite bins, no lid on top. It still works well to keep litter from getting everywhere, and it's easier for me to clean.

Seriously, this. It was $3 at Walmart, keeps the place pretty tidy, and forces my fat cat to exercise slightly by having to jump to get into it.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
DIY litterbox sounds like the way to go, then. Thanks, guys! Not having it covered might keep me a little more honest about scooping every day like I ought to (wince) and then I won't have to worry about it being big enough for my great big oafs.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Do you guys just put the litter right into the box? I always use a biodegradable litter liner I found at target. I still scoop regularly but it makes cleaning the whole box a hell of a lot easier.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Yeah, I just pour it right in. If we keep up with scooping daily, it's never a big hassle, even with 4 indoor cats.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I always thought litter liners would be useless, since the cats can just scratch right through them while digging.

Those sifting ones look interesting though.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

For years in France I used a litter liner that had a cardboard base, with plastic edges and a drawstring. Even though the cats scratched at the sides a bit, it was still brilliant for when doing full-removals of litter tray contents!

These days we don't use liners at all because the ones here have plastic bases and the cats scratch straight through them!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I went to orientation for my new job at Publix today. We had to go to the distribution warehouse way out in the middle of loving nowhere. While on a small "field trip" to the cafeteria to get the lunch they provided us, I saw a pair of Canadian Geese and one had a severely injured wing; it was practically falling off. I brought it to the attention of the advisor for the class and they didn't really seem to care.
My question is, there is a bird rehabilitation center about an hour or so from the distribution center. I have the number but they don't have a website where I can get much information about if they maybe would find and pick up this bird. I'm wondering if I should just call and let them know? I think I'd feel better if I did but I also don't want to make a fool out of myself if they can't.
What should I do. :(

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
where exactly is that? When I lived in Florida we had this guy called the "Birdman" we could call when ever we caught a bird on a hook or in a net, but I'm not sure where you are, plus this was over a decade ago.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

ChairmanMeow posted:

where exactly is that? When I lived in Florida we had this guy called the "Birdman" we could call when ever we caught a bird on a hook or in a net, but I'm not sure where you are, plus this was over a decade ago.

North Florida. I believe the town was called Marietta but I'm not sure. It's off of I-10.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not having any luck, I'm sorry

Robbed Blind
Sep 26, 2007
A Dessicated Brain?
My kitten Boo is having some serious issues with fleas. We've tried Advantage, Frontline, DE, Neem Oil and cortisone/flea shots at the vet, and we also comb him for fleas every day; we never find many more than 4-5 (which makes me think he is majorly allergic). He just seems to be hyper sensitive to them; he's torn up his neck so bad he's just covered in little scabs, and he's begun pulling out the hair around his tail, butt and legs. He's scheduled for about bi-weekly or so meets with the vet so he can continue this long term injection flea treatment, but I worry about his cuts getting infected in the meantime. I might try dry shampoo, but I have no idea what else to do, and the vet isn't particularly forthcoming with ideas, saying I'll just have to wait it out.

Is there anything else anyone has done for fleas that they think might work for Boo? He's about 1 year and 5lbs so a pretty tiny dude. Could the scratching/pulling be psychological?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

I took my cat to get her vaccinations at a free clinic almost two months ago. Since she's a stray and there's no way to know whether she's gotten her shots before, I was told to bring her in to get them boostered in 3-4 weeks. I didn't get a chance and I'm wondering if it's too late.

I could take her tomorrow to get the second shots but would that even do anything if it's been two months?

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Two questions for the cat saavy

1. My kitty Azula gets eye crusties almost every day. Is there anything I can do for these aside from cleaning them? Anyway to prevent them?

2. How's Hill's Science Diet? My cats eat Taste of the Wild but my vet seems fond of Hill's and Azula is getting plump.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Two questions for the cat saavy

1. My kitty Azula gets eye crusties almost every day. Is there anything I can do for these aside from cleaning them? Anyway to prevent them?

2. How's Hill's Science Diet? My cats eat Taste of the Wild but my vet seems fond of Hill's and Azula is getting plump.

Some cats get them more often when they're sick, sometimes its from allergies, and sometimes cats are just boogery. If they're real bad I'd take her to the vet.

Science diet is garbage. Vets promote it various reasons, none of them are very sound ones. Hills also funds a lot of offices and gives spiels on how awesome corn is to vet schools. Unless your cat needs a prescription diet, do not ever bother with Science Diet.

Cats lose weight very slowly, the best way to get her to be more active by playing with her more and feeding a little less than normal. The amount recommended on the bag is more of a suggestion, not a one size fits all.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Kerfuffle posted:

Some cats get them more often when they're sick, sometimes its from allergies, and sometimes cats are just boogery. If they're real bad I'd take her to the vet.

Science diet is garbage. Vets promote it various reasons, none of them are very sound ones. Hills also funds a lot of offices and gives spiels on how awesome corn is to vet schools. Unless your cat needs a prescription diet, do not ever bother with Science Diet.

Cats lose weight very slowly, the best way to get her to be more active by playing with her more and feeding a little less than normal. The amount recommended on the bag is more of a suggestion, not a one size fits all.
Thanks Kerfuffle

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

I took my cat to get her vaccinations at a free clinic almost two months ago. Since she's a stray and there's no way to know whether she's gotten her shots before, I was told to bring her in to get them boostered in 3-4 weeks. I didn't get a chance and I'm wondering if it's too late.

I could take her tomorrow to get the second shots but would that even do anything if it's been two months?

I have another issue.

A while back I was asking for advice because my cats nose turned white. She was eating and acting normal so I didn't think anything of it and a day or so later it went away. Today her nose is white again. Her gums are pale too. However, she's still eating and acting normal. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to set up an appointment, but is there any reason for what could be causing this?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Lackadaisical posted:

I have another issue.

A while back I was asking for advice because my cats nose turned white. She was eating and acting normal so I didn't think anything of it and a day or so later it went away. Today her nose is white again. Her gums are pale too. However, she's still eating and acting normal. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to set up an appointment, but is there any reason for what could be causing this?

Number one off the top of my head is anemia, not sure what else it would be.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
nevermind

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 11, 2010

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

Number one off the top of my head is anemia, not sure what else it would be.

She had a full blood panel about two months ago and everything looked normal. Same with the thyroid and urine. The only thing I could think of is I hadn't been treating her for fleas since she had been a strictly indoor cat. Now she lives with an indoor/outdoor cat. I only started flea medication a week ago. But I figured that would kill off all the fleas by now...

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

^ Awesome, thank you. Looking at the pictures (e.g. this: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litter-Box/dp/B0002ZS20I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1286481032&sr=1-1 ) I'm wondering if there's a compelling reason not to just buy a good-sized Rubbermaid storage bin and cut a hole in the lid? Possibly adding some textured stuff to the top as well to catch litter?

We have three giant rubbermaid bins which cost $4 each. So $12 for three boxes instead of $35 for one. I drew a circle where I wanted it on the side then used a box cutter to cut the holes. Just be careful that you are cutting away from yourself and you'll be fine making your own.

Pointy_Stick
Nov 30, 2006

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!
Our Basset, Dwight, had an ulnar osteotomy, due to his foot causing his body to buck forward when walking -- any tips on how to make him and his manly pink cast happier while wandering around the house? Vet said he will be in said cast for six to eight weeks. Dwight gets around fairly well, I just want him to be happier, since he's (understandably) whiney and his pain patch came off yesterday.

Pic of said Dwight:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What are some good links that talk about why dominance training and Cesar Millan are bad, and positive reinforcement/clicker training is good?
Additionally what are some good resources in dealing with a dog aggressive border collie puppy?

A Facebook friend had a status about starting dominance training and needing to be a pack leader, so I offered some info about positive reinforcement. Then she commented about him being aggressive to other dogs in her house, and one of her friends (Cesar Millan's #1 fan) told my friend not to listen to me and dominate and be a good pack leader hurrrr. Sigh.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

drat Bananas posted:

What are some good links that talk about why dominance training and Cesar Millan are bad, and positive reinforcement/clicker training is good?
Additionally what are some good resources in dealing with a dog aggressive border collie puppy?

A Facebook friend had a status about starting dominance training and needing to be a pack leader, so I offered some info about positive reinforcement. Then she commented about him being aggressive to other dogs in her house, and one of her friends (Cesar Millan's #1 fan) told my friend not to listen to me and dominate and be a good pack leader hurrrr. Sigh.

This is my favourite well balanced article on the pros and cons of Cesar's approach to dog training: http://www.pitbulls.org/article/cesar-millan-good-and-bad

(I've posted that link in this thread before.)

As I've said before, watching The Dog Whisperer is what got me so interested in dog training. I've seen almost every episode, and know his techniques well. Luckily, I did a poo poo tonne of reading once my interest had been peaked and now that I've found reward based training I'm never looking back. CM has been, and will continue to be a great stepping stone into the world of dog training. Unfortunately, most people start and stop their education with his techniques.

Pointy_Stick posted:

Our Basset, Dwight, had an ulnar osteotomy, due to his foot causing his body to buck forward when walking -- any tips on how to make him and his manly pink cast happier while wandering around the house? Vet said he will be in said cast for six to eight weeks. Dwight gets around fairly well, I just want him to be happier, since he's (understandably) whiney and his pain patch came off yesterday.

Food dispensing toys, chews etc can be great ways to pass the time. I also love playing hide and go seek, either with the dog finding me, food, or a target. Look up the Nosework! thread in Pet Island for an idea. Your Basset will excel at it. Of course you'll have to switch things up to accommodate the cast, but I think you can probably incorporate parts of it into a game.

Train a solid retrieve if you can. It can be a slow-motion game with him retrieving pens, toys, shoes, etc for you. Start by teaching your dog to target certain objects, then mouth them, then pick them up, then carry, then retrieve. It's about building it up in steps, and it becomes more about the task than the chase.

Trick teaching is a personal favourite of mine. Youtube has awesome videos. Look up user Kikopup on there for great training tools. I'd brush up on basic obedience, or teach more complicated tricks like back up, bow, high five, etc.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

drat Bananas posted:

Urban Dawgs has a good list of articles about negative press for Cesar Milan and why his methods suck.

I like this one because it's from the New York Times, and to most people that means it has more authority.

There's also the American Vetrinary Society of Animal Behavior's open letter, which references exactly why educated animal people with actual degrees think 'dominance' is off the mark.

And, of course, the link to the incident with the injured dog/lawsuit is here

For clicker training, just make them check out Karen Pryor's site or Patricia McConnell's blog.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Antibiotics and icky poo question below:

Nova's cough is essentially gone! The new more aggressive antibiotics did the trick! She still sneezes occasionally, but not fits and no more mucus.

She's got 14 more days of antiobiotics (taken once every 3 days), just to make sure this is good and dead. It was likely a resistant strain as the first antibiotics didn't kill it.

However,

The antibiotics have made her poo the opposite of solid. I've dubbed her Princess Poopy Pants because most times when she goes, it gets all over her back end. I've adapted and checked with the vet, that as long as she's feeling good and not going excessively, it's ok.

I've tried canned pumpkin twice a day (it helped a little).

I've tried the equivalent of kitty pepto bismo in the past few days, which helped a little more. How long can I give that? I know not to give it right before the antibiotics. Can I give it to her daily for 2 weeks?

Anyone tried kitty probiotics? Will I need to repopulate her digestive system with good bacteria? Any brand suggestions or is this a waste of money?

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
So....my kitty got a shocking diagnosis. She has herpes! After I gave her a stern lecture regarding how she should have been more careful when hanging out with her old street crowd, I gave her a hug and told her I loved her anyway.

Anyway, so the meds the vet gave me to help control it is some sort of goo that I smear on her paws or nose and she licks away. Anyone else have advice on kitty herpes meds? The vet mentioned some treats as well, anyone know the name of that med?

Also, is there a vaccine for it? If I adopt a second cat in the future, I wanna know if that's something I should look out for.

Edit: Off topic, but does anyone have that picture of the cat with a mech made out of boxes? I forget which PI goon did that

Shebrew fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2010

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sorry I don't have any advice for the previous questions. I only have a question of my own.

One of my cats, I'm pretty sure it's my former-feral cat, is pooing on my stove. Onto the burner. And so far, it has seeped into the oven and I can't use the oven anymore due to the smell. I've yet to catch him doing it, but is there any way to prevent it other than to pour vinegar all over the stove? That hasn't worked.

Also, the former-feral kitty and my oldest, evil female kitty don't get along very well. He is a very sweet cat and doesn't ever fight, but any time she sees him, she starts hissing and growling.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Shebrew posted:

So....my kitty got a shocking diagnosis. She has herpes! After I gave her a stern lecture regarding how she should have been more careful when hanging out with her old street crowd, I gave her a hug and told her I loved her anyway.

Anyway, so the meds the vet gave me to help control it is some sort of goo that I smear on her paws or nose and she licks away. Anyone else have advice on kitty herpes meds? The vet mentioned some treats as well, anyone know the name of that med?

Also, is there a vaccine for it? If I adopt a second cat in the future, I wanna know if that's something I should look out for.

Edit: Off topic, but does anyone have that picture of the cat with a mech made out of boxes? I forget which PI goon did that

The treats you want have L-lysine in them. You can also get a powdered version and mix into wet food, or crush up 500 mg tablets of the human supplement (google for things to avoid in the supplement - there's a preservative I'm forgetting the name of). My vet says it only helps in recovery time, and not in preventing flares.

Kitty herpes is super common, and usually flares during times of stress (such as being adopted). There is a kitty vaccine, but it's not 100% protection. However, most cats come with the virus already and it's nothing you should worry about. Stay on top of the eye thing to make sure they don't ulcer and everything should be fine.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for the previous questions. I only have a question of my own.

One of my cats, I'm pretty sure it's my former-feral cat, is pooing on my stove. Onto the burner. And so far, it has seeped into the oven and I can't use the oven anymore due to the smell. I've yet to catch him doing it, but is there any way to prevent it other than to pour vinegar all over the stove? That hasn't worked.

Also, the former-feral kitty and my oldest, evil female kitty don't get along very well. He is a very sweet cat and doesn't ever fight, but any time she sees him, she starts hissing and growling.
That's...disgusting.

Pick up some nature's miracle and feliway. Nature's Miracle can get cat pee smell out of almost anything, so hopefully it can get rid of poop smell too. It also removes the enzymes so she won't be tempted to go there again.

Feliway helps cats calm down a little. Even if it doesn't work for your cats, not all cats are going to be best friends. As long as they aren't fighting so seriously that there's blood and fur flying, they're fine. None of my cats have ever liked eachother enough to do that. drat PI people and their snuggly cats. :mad:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Cats don't really like walking on tinfoil, although I'm not sure covering your stovetop with tinfoil when you're not using it is feasible for very long. There's also the possibility they might think 'ooh fun' and just try and play with it.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

pandaid posted:

I've tried the equivalent of kitty pepto bismo in the past few days, which helped a little more. How long can I give that? I know not to give it right before the antibiotics. Can I give it to her daily for 2 weeks?

Anyone tried kitty probiotics? Will I need to repopulate her digestive system with good bacteria? Any brand suggestions or is this a waste of money?
I'm not sure what kitty pepto is. Is it actually bismuth subsalicylate? Because that's pretty toxic to cats. :confused:

As for probiotics, they don't always help but they're worth a try. You can offer her a little bit of plain yogurt, or your vet probably sells a product called FortiFlora which is a meaty-flavored powder you can sprinkle on food. It's certainly not as cheap as yogurt, but in theory it works better because it's concentrated and formulated in such a way that the animal's stomach acid doesn't kill all the bacteria before they get to their destination.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pandaid posted:

The treats you want have L-lysine in them. You can also get a powdered version and mix into wet food, or crush up 500 mg tablets of the human supplement (google for things to avoid in the supplement - there's a preservative I'm forgetting the name of). My vet says it only helps in recovery time, and not in preventing flares.

Kitty herpes is super common, and usually flares during times of stress (such as being adopted). There is a kitty vaccine, but it's not 100% protection. However, most cats come with the virus already and it's nothing you should worry about. Stay on top of the eye thing to make sure they don't ulcer and everything should be fine.

My vet says L-lysine helps prevent or lessen the severity of flare ups also, this seems consistent with what I've found online. Either way I've been happy with it.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Crooked Booty posted:

I'm not sure what kitty pepto is. Is it actually bismuth subsalicylate? Because that's pretty toxic to cats. :confused:

As for probiotics, they don't always help but they're worth a try. You can offer her a little bit of plain yogurt, or your vet probably sells a product called FortiFlora which is a meaty-flavored powder you can sprinkle on food. It's certainly not as cheap as yogurt, but in theory it works better because it's concentrated and formulated in such a way that the animal's stomach acid doesn't kill all the bacteria before they get to their destination.

It's pink like pepto. It has kaolin and pectin in it. I got it at petco and it has a picture of a kitty on it.

I'm going to try some over the counter people probiotics. I googled everything in it, and they all seem like things people have put into cat supplements. Whether or not it'll work, who knows, but I feel confident I'm not giving her anything bad.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I came to post to the rat thread about a new exotics vet at my hospital, and something came to me. I was wondering if we should create some sort of PI database for veterinarians that we've had experiences with. I've seen this done on other forums and it can be helpful, especially if you are new to an area. I personally haven't liked every veterinarian my animals have seen, and others I have absolutely loved. We could also include veterinarians or hospitals to watch out for.

If people are interested, maybe someone could make a thread that could be updated with people's responses? Maybe include some sort of form for people to fill out, like this:

Comments:

Or something? Maybe someone could make a better form if they decide to jump on my idea and create a thread. :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

That would be a great idea! Have like a database per region/Metro area?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Is there a mouse-owning thread/FAQ anywhere on here? Was there at some point? It's pretty much the only rodent I can think of that I can't find any detailed goon advice on :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

redjenova posted:

Is there a mouse-owning thread/FAQ anywhere on here? Was there at some point? It's pretty much the only rodent I can think of that I can't find any detailed goon advice on :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320057

That will be your best place to ask questions. Mice generally aren't -great- pets because overall they're pretty shy of people and sort of often become like fuzzy goldfish that hide a lot.