Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Toplowtech posted:

Casimir Radon posted:

My friend, did Obi-Wan ever tell you about the time I was captured and brutally tortured for months at a time while he and the liberal elite were busy playing ski-ball?
Fixed.

Friend.

Chairman Capone posted:

Any good stories to share? I would really love to hear them. The only time I've seen a rabid Mandalorian fan in real life was actually by complete chance, I was going to see a (non-Star Wars) movie and in the parking lot I saw a guy getting out of a car covered in Mandalorian insignia and Traviss language poo poo.

It's been a while, so my memories of the AOTC incident are a little hazy. Basically I'm friends with this guy and we hang out every once in a while; he's a decent person aside from the rabid Mandalorian thing and some of his personal politics but so long as the conversation stays away from those topics he's a cool dude. But the time I got roped into watching AOTC was pretty bad - he had invited some of his other friends over as well as me and they, too, were all rabid fandalorians. I was unaware of this until we got the movie started.

The evening essentially went, "Discuss the evils and selfishness of Jedi unless a Fett is onscreen - then cheer and hoot whenever they do anything." The lot of them went nuts when Jango killed that mook Jedi in the arena, and got angry when he was decapitated. It was ridiculous. And then when the clones started dying they were all upset and started badmouthing the Jedi again. It was like a group of sports fans watching their favorite team lose a game, but more pathetic because this is a movie that they have all seen a billion times and they know what happens already. As a bonus, they all knew a few words of Traviss' fake language and would, in all seriousness, use them in conversation with each other. I was pretty buzzed by this time, though, so it only got more and more hilarious to watch them do this.

I started avoiding my friend after that unless he could guarantee that there'd be no more surprises like that. I mean, I'm a Star Wars geek, too, but the level he and his friends have taken their obsession to is just nuts.

Funfact: one of those other guys honest to god named his son Anakin. After hearing him talk poo poo about the Jedi for a few hours I can only imagine that he named his son after the guy who killed off the Jedi Order because he hates them so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Traxus IV posted:

Funfact: one of those other guys honest to god named his son Anakin. After hearing him talk poo poo about the Jedi for a few hours I can only imagine that he named his son after the guy who killed off the Jedi Order because he hates them so much.

I know there's no monolithic, correct interpretation of Star Wars and it's fictional universe, but I really wonder how these people can really consider themselves Star Wars fans. I mean, their great idol pretty much hated all of it, even if she never said so directly.

And what is it with Fandalorians and right-wing politics (I can only guess that you were thinking of that)? I still remember in the old thread the mentions of that near-Monarchist Catholic fandalorian who had a meltdown when he finally realized that Traviss had included a gay couple in her work.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I know there's no monolithic, correct interpretation of Star Wars and it's fictional universe

Sure there is. It changes every time Lucas farts, but there is an official "correct" version.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nucleic Acids posted:

And what is it with Fandalorians and right-wing politics

Like I've said repeatedly in here, there's a very strong correlation between great white male stereotypes (special forces, lone warriors, etc.) and wing-nuts.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

arioch posted:

Like I've said repeatedly in here, there's a very strong correlation between great white male stereotypes (special forces, lone warriors, etc.) and wing-nuts.

And simpering, oppressed nobodies with persecution complexes must speak pretty strongly to leftards?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Nucleic Acids posted:

And what is it with Fandalorians and right-wing politics (I can only guess that you were thinking of that)? I still remember in the old thread the mentions of that near-Monarchist Catholic fandalorian who had a meltdown when he finally realized that Traviss had included a gay couple in her work.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. He's said some downright hateful and ignorant (in my opinion) things when he talks politics. He also tells racist jokes and doesn't understand when I don't laugh. v:downs:v Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop being his friend, just means I tell him I don't wanna talk about how great Palin is and that I really don't appreciate some of his jokes.

So, how 'bout them Star Wars, eh? I sure am sick of 'em! :v:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everytime I see that picture of Crix Madine I shake my head. I've never been too crazy about the character but even he deserved better than to die in that terrible loving book.

Also, since people are on the political stereotyping bit, I'm pretty sure Newt Gingrich is a Rebel Alliance fan. He also really likes Star Wars which was completely unexpected.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

arioch posted:

Who knew that a series that is literally BLACK AND WHITE about Evil and Good would pander to people who have a simplistic view of morality and the world?

Next you'll tell me theforce.com forums are full of religious fundamentalists.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Who knew that a series that is literally BLACK AND WHITE about Evil and Good would pander to people who have a simplistic view of morality and the world?

When I first started visiting the TFN forums it honestly did kind of blow me away just how many posters quoted Bible versus in their signatures.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Theres a piece of art form dark empire that has either Dark Side Luke or Palpatine with a cloak and under the cloak is a big imperial fleet. Anyone know where I can find it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of finding art, does anyone have that image of Vader being "knighted" or "crowned" by the Emperor? I believe it's in a red room and we're looking through columns at Vader on one knee with his helmet being floated toward him by the Emperor. I always liked that one.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 13, 2010

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Theres a piece of art form dark empire that has either Dark Side Luke or Palpatine with a cloak and under the cloak is a big imperial fleet. Anyone know where I can find it?

Is this it?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:DarkEmpireFleet.jpg

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Is this it?

Bingo

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

TF.N is the memory bank that never stops giving (me hemorrhoids).

My fave thread in their version of GBS was some teenager starting a thread in mostly caps about how he wanted to join the Army and be God's soldier and he was sure Jesus would never ever let the US do wrong. But then he was sure to attach the addendum that he would never ever EVER think of fighting against Israel.

The response, naturally, was pretty positive and supportive.

More generally, their political subforum "The Senate Floor," that was a hosed up sight, though to be fair it was like the height of the Bush years. I wonder if they still have their 50 page "Mormons argue with fundie Evangelicals and Catholics" monstrosities.

Faerunner posted:

And simpering, oppressed nobodies with persecution complexes must speak pretty strongly to leftards?

This leftard does think the Rebel Alliance is p cool thanks.

Though it's a tie between liking them and liking the Jedi as this unelected elite group who don't believe in private property and who don't blink at taking children as wards of the state. A group that, even though it's basically a bunch of hippies with who see nature as supreme to technological progress still play god with an OMG Slave Army whose creation makes a mockery of the sanctity of life. Good lord, I creamed myself just writing that.

tl;dr: Not all political viewpoints are equally dumb. The truth is not in the middle, sorry ner'vode.

Edit: We should do something that would seem totally witty for maybe a half hour and appropriate the vode poo poo and ironically call each other "vo".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

Tell me more about Mandalorians.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Star Wars needs a lazy goon-esqe alien faction we can all identify with. Can't be Hutts, as we're not all big fat party animals.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I'd say Yarkora but the RPG books tell me they have a charisma bonus.

Quarren are pretty goony. And the Ssi-Ruuk are like a species of losers who are psychologially incapable of hard work, right?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Quarren are pretty goony. And the Ssi-Ruuk are like a species of losers who are psychologially incapable of hard work, right?

Yeah but they are pretty musical, plus everyone sort of likes dinosaurs. Being losers just gives them underdog status.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Ssi-ruuk are a bunch of lazy computer nerds who rely on technology to do everything for them and are literally terrified to go outside and do something themselves.

Wait a minute...drat, Ssi-ruuk are goony as gently caress.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Angry Midwesterner posted:

The Ssi-Ruuk were a stupid villian. Lizards that suck up souls to power space ships? Really? :rolleyes:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Chairman Capone posted:

Is this it?

Does Wookieepedia or the comics have any names and descriptions on those ships that aren't World Devastators or Star Destroyers?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Wampus42 posted:

Does Wookieepedia or the comics have any names and descriptions on those ships that aren't World Devastators or Star Destroyers?

Here's one of them, and another, but for the most part no.

However, there is a guy in the 3d modelling community, who goes by the name of Fractalsponge, who's tried his hand at fleshing out the ships only seen as silhouettes in Dark Empire.

From this picture...

...he came up with this, and is currently working on another one in the background (click here for the image directory).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mister Roboto posted:

I can definitely see the appeal to the Christian mindset. My favorite part of the movies used to be when Luke is all "I know that there is good in you, Father." His innocent faith in the possibility of redemption, even for the worst sinner, really spoke to me as a Christian who genuinely believes in that sort of thing. :unsmith:
Then I realized that Luke only gave a crap about Vader because he was his ~*DADDY*~. He certainly didn't try to save the Emperor or anyone else on the Death Star. :smith:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Captain Splendid posted:

Here's one of them, and another, but for the most part no.

However, there is a guy in the 3d modelling community, who goes by the name of Fractalsponge, who's tried his hand at fleshing out the ships only seen as silhouettes in Dark Empire.

From this picture...

...he came up with this, and is currently working on another one in the background (click here for the image directory).
That is awesome.

I actually love all the goofy, only-seen-once ship designs in the comics, and I sort of think it's too bad that everywhere else we find out that star destroyers are built very similar to each other according to precise blueprints. I like all the big ships being unique, purpose-built snowflakes.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

Then I realized that Luke only gave a crap about Vader because he was his ~*DADDY*~. He certainly didn't try to save the Emperor or anyone else on the Death Star. :smith:

So what part of this strays from the typical Christian in America?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Telling Christians that the dualist concepts that characterize Christianity today weren't part of early Judaism until after the exile, and were probably introduced through Zoroastrian influence is fun.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Casimir Radon posted:

Telling Christians that the dualist concepts that characterize Christianity today weren't part of early Judaism until after the exile, and were probably introduced through Zoroastrian influence is fun.

Especially through the idea that the conception of Satan as he now exists is likely derived from Angra Mainyu.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Faerunner posted:

So what part of this strays from the typical Christian in America?

Are you suggesting modern religious practice is like the EU?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Pththya-lyi posted:

You're a Death Star maintenance tech. The most wanted rebel criminal in the galaxy ambles up to you during the chaos of a rebel attack and suggests you commit treason by abandoning your post and following him... well, we can probably forgive Luke for not giving it much of an effort. Especially when it would have meant abandoning his critically injured father.

As for Luke's not trying to convert the Emperor, who's the say he wasn't? It takes a lot of effort for Palpatine to goad Luke into striking, and once Luke finally disables Vader he then promptly throws away his weapon and tries to start a reasonable discussion with the Emperor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

P-Spiffy was high as gently caress on the chronic to stop his dark side accelated muscle decay he wouldn't have given a drat what Luke would have said.

Unless Luke offered him some space Cheetos.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Captain von Trapp posted:

As for Luke's not trying to convert the Emperor, who's the say he wasn't? It takes a lot of effort for Palpatine to goad Luke into striking, and once Luke finally disables Vader he then promptly throws away his weapon and tries to start a reasonable discussion with the Emperor.

I saw it as Luke looks at Vader's severed hand, then his own cybernetic hand, and slowly realizes what's about to happen if he finished Vader off in anger. He throws the saber away because he does not want to follow in Daddy's footsteps.

I never got the impression he was trying to discuss anything with the Emperor other than, "I've seen what I could become, I'd rather be a Jedi then go to the dark side". Then Palpatine says "Welp, you gon' die!"

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Bonzo posted:

I never got the impression he was trying to discuss anything with the Emperor other than, "I've seen what I could become, I'd rather be a Jedi then go to the dark side". Then Palpatine says "Welp, you gon' die!"

Me neither, I'm just saying that "kill the Emperor" didn't seem to be part of his plan. It's simply not reasonable to interpret Luke's actions as "Save daddy, screw everyone else." He did what he could.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Luke really planned it out, it was the divine will of the Force, the Holy Spirit made manifest, and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't think Luke really planned it out, it was the divine will of the Force, the Holy Spirit made manifest, and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Mind if I make that my sig?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Roboto posted:

Mind if I make that my sig?

Much like Yoda, I ain't gonna stop ya.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Did Luke know that Palpatine was a sith lord at the time he confronted him in ROTJ? He certainty gives the impression of an old crippled man before using the lightning. Luke seemed pretty surprise at it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did Luke know that Palpatine was a sith lord at the time he confronted him in ROTJ? He certainty gives the impression of an old crippled man before using the lightning. Luke seemed pretty surprise at it.

I'd wonder if Lucas knew he was a sith at the time.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yoda did warn Luke to not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, so if he thought the Emperor was just some old man with a crown then that was his own fault.

Then again, Yoda did kind of give him a lovely warning and no preparation anyway.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You know, for someone who had a long drawn out fight with the Emperor and 800 years of general experience, Yoda didn't tell Luke poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lets all do a lizard dance around the courtyard.