Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dread Head posted:

I suppose it could be my monitor but the colors are a bit wonky.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Looks like you cranked the saturation and vibrance a bit too far. The green looks like someone spray painted it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Hmm looks ok here, I will re-calibrate and take another look. I can see what you guys are saying, I reduced the green saturation a bit and re-uploaded it.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 23, 2010

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
A couple from a recent trip:

Edit:

jm3000 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 5, 2010

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

jm3000 posted:

A couple from a recent trip:

1 is very nice. Perfect time of day, loks great.

2 is decent, I find the branch/log a litle bit distracting, it seems like it would have been better to get closer to that and put it lower in the frame. It also looks like the horizon is a tad crooked.

#3 is too underexposed I think. The mass void of black in the bottom of the frame really detracts from it.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I took this one today in the Adirondacks with a Canon 24mm tilt/shift.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

Awesome as usual. Smart use of a longer focal length on this one.

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
I'm extremely extremely new to landscape photography, and I wish I could find out more about the equipment and post a lot of people are using! I don't think my photos are bad, but I'm not sure how do a better job! How can I improve the dynamic range in a single exposure? A better lens? Certain settings on my camera? I don't know!

Here are a few I've taken recently. Any critique is highly appreciated, particularly with camera settings because a LOT of what makes these function as well as they do was, I think, done in post.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Nothing to do with the lens or camera.

It's all to do with the quality of light.

And, a little bit of post.

Landscapes shot in the middle of the day under glaring sunlight are waiting to board the failboat.

Capture your images in the right light, and, you'll be surprised at how very little you have to do in post.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.

In a Fairy Tale World
Once upon a time...

A glimpse of Hopetoun Falls in the Great Otway National Park, Victoria.

Scenes such as this take me away from the drudgery of every day life in the concrete jungle.

Locations such as this remind us that there's immense natural beauty on our doorstep just waiting to cleanse us.

Softly diffused light stifled through fog has aided me in making this image.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
3.2s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Four's a Conjunction!
Well, OK, technically it's two for a conjunction, any more is massing...

Venus, Saturn, Mercury and Mars (and a few stars) put on a little light show as part of the conjunction of August 8th, 2010.

Venus is the brightest planet in the overall picture. Saturn is just to the right of Venus, and Mars is the bright planet above Venus. This trio forms a triangle. Finally, Mercury can be found as the brightest planet just above the brightest clouds.

The very subtle cone of illumination leading up to Venus is zodiacal light.

Shot half-way between nautical and astronomical twilight, somewhere between Manar and Braidwood, New South Wales.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
30s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso3200

H

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

octane2 posted:

Nothing to do with the lens or camera.

It's all to do with the quality of light.

And, a little bit of post.

Landscapes shot in the middle of the day under glaring sunlight are waiting to board the failboat.

Capture your images in the right light, and, you'll be surprised at how very little you have to do in post.

H

Those were all taken around sunrise. :/

e: The last one was more early morning, a couple hours after sunrise. But not very near noon.

My Cakes are LOL fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 10, 2010

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

My Cakes are LOL posted:

Those were all taken around sunrise. :/

e: The last one was more early morning, a couple hours after sunrise. But not very near noon.

I like all three of the shots you posted and I think you're on the right track.

The first one is the strongest in both lighting and composure. I can't tell if it's the haze causing the effect or if your aperture was low enough to cause some blurring as the road curves left. Either way I like it and it gives a nice sense of depth.

The second one has great pieces to it, but my eyes kind of hunt for a subject. I'd be curious what a wider shot would've looked like.

The third one is a really good show and I like the B&W conversion you did on it a lot. The light pole and lights annoy me a bit (maybe if it was a bit farther left it'd be better) but that's a problem that you can't fix.

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I like all three of the shots you posted and I think you're on the right track.

The first one is the strongest in both lighting and composure. I can't tell if it's the haze causing the effect or if your aperture was low enough to cause some blurring as the road curves left. Either way I like it and it gives a nice sense of depth.

The second one has great pieces to it, but my eyes kind of hunt for a subject. I'd be curious what a wider shot would've looked like.

The third one is a really good show and I like the B&W conversion you did on it a lot. The light pole and lights annoy me a bit (maybe if it was a bit farther left it'd be better) but that's a problem that you can't fix.

Thanks a lot for the critique. The second one frustrates me because the scene was gorgeous and I must have framed it fifty different ways and took a ton of pictures, but some reason I couldn't compose it in a very compelling way. Ah well... try and try again, right?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

My Cakes are LOL posted:

How can I improve the dynamic range in a single exposure? A better lens? Certain settings on my camera? I don't know!

I suppose you might lose a little dynamic range if you only shoot JPG, because the camera software might set some black and white points that lose image data at the extreme ends. So if you shoot RAW, you're in safer territory.

When you're faced with a scene with more dynamic range than you camera can capture, you just have to compromise and decide what the key tones for the scene are, and try and capture most of them. If highlights aren't very important, you can sacrifice some of those and recover a little of them in post (but recovering a lot of highlights is a lost cause). If shadows aren't very important, you can sacrifice some of those and try to bump shadow exposure in post a little (but you run the risk of hue shifts because colours can change a lot if you increase exposure in very dark hues).

Perfect Exposure is an OK book about some of the choices involved in various lighting situations, and how to think about handling the key tones in a scene.

Apart from that, there aren't many options besides graduated neutral density filters, which are only useful if you've got a mostly straight horizon, or taking bracketed shots and combining them in post.

Combining bracketed shots sometimes gets you into HDR territory, where I often found myself working against the software and hating fiddling with unpredictable settings. Recently I've started to love Enfuse for combining bracketed exposures - it just does exposure blending, and you avoid the halos and over-processed look you often get from tone mapped HDRs.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Now this is just goddamn majestic.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Could you perhaps post some details on your process ? E.g. what times do you take your photos, anything particular you look for in composition, what post-processing is usually done, etc.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Cross_ posted:

Could you perhaps post some details on your process ? E.g. what times do you take your photos, anything particular you look for in composition, what post-processing is usually done, etc.
I would love to read a write up of Dread's end to end workflow from setting up the camera and settings to finished post processing. Maybe some photos of before and after and thoughts that go into the process.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

aliencowboy posted:

Now this is just goddamn majestic.

Thanks! :) I was really pleased with how that one came out.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I am going to Hawaii for a week, bringing a tripod, 7D and a 11-16 and a 17-50. I also have no idea what I'm doing, so this should be interesting. How do you control that large light thing in the sky?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dunkman posted:

I am going to Hawaii for a week, bringing a tripod, 7D and a 11-16 and a 17-50. I also have no idea what I'm doing, so this should be interesting. How do you control that large light thing in the sky?

Based on what I've been able to pick up since I got my DSLR last spring, suppress the instinct to point the camera towards the giant fireball. What looks great to us in real life turns into generic and dull photos in the camera.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

xzzy posted:

Based on what I've been able to pick up since I got my DSLR last spring, suppress the instinct to point the camera towards the giant fireball. What looks great to us in real life turns into generic and dull photos in the camera.

You can shoot into the sun you just need to use some sneaky tricks. You will have to use more than one exposure.

Step 1: compose shot, exposure for the ground/subject.
step 2: place finger/thumb over the sun, in the frame this should stop the flare etc, try to keep as little of your finger etc in the frame.
step 3: expose for the sky, take a photo of the sky (a small aperture will help define the shape of the sun into more of a star burst type idea)
step 4: in post, blend the two (or more) exposures

Example result:

I will try to write something up for my landscapes, the short version is: exposure for the sky, exposure for the foreground, then a simple mask.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Never enough time to process trip images.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

AirRaid posted:

This is great.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Dread Head posted:

You can shoot into the sun you just need to use some sneaky tricks. You will have to use more than one exposure.

Step 1: compose shot, exposure for the ground/subject.
step 2: place finger/thumb over the sun, in the frame this should stop the flare etc, try to keep as little of your finger etc in the frame.
step 3: expose for the sky, take a photo of the sky (a small aperture will help define the shape of the sun into more of a star burst type idea)
step 4: in post, blend the two (or more) exposures

Example result:

I will try to write something up for my landscapes, the short version is: exposure for the sky, exposure for the foreground, then a simple mask.

:monocle:

Such a simple trick with a great result. Cheers for this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done the thumb-over-the-sun trick to set exposure before, but never thought to incorporate it into a two-exposure combine.

Now I just need a sunset to try it out on. Oh, and a camera, which I left at home today.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Leviathor posted:

Never enough time to process trip images.
Wow! Love the light!

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
HR,

This is superb -- I love everything about this.

Goes to show what good quality of light can do for an image.

H

Hotwax Residue posted:

Wow! Love the light!

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Leviathor posted:

I really like the way the leaves kind of vignette the scene, it's nice framing.

This one isn't very nature-y, but I think I caught it in the right light:

View From The Top by Jimperialism, on Flickr

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

So this waterfall in the pic I took is probably around 100 feet high. Does it look almost like a miniature to anyone else?

I'm thinking it might be the focus on the waterfall that slightly blurs the detail in the gorge below, or the small size of the image or something. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not a good angle for getting a sense of scale.

Without knowing what the waterfall really looks like, your photo makes me think it's just some water dribbling over a cliff, and the interesting portion is out of view beyond the ledge.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah it's definitely a bad angle for scale but I still feel like if you were there, even without seeing the falls from the front you'd immediately understand the size of it. Probably a few elements that didn't translate well. I'm going back there this weekend, gonna take that shot again a few different ways and see what happens.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
It needs some reference objects; People, trees, branches, etc.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dread Head posted:

This is one of my favorites you've posted in a while. Nice job.

e:

Glad I lugged my slr up the mountain

spf3million fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 16, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01