Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He just sits there all day with his little blue cat people toys and makes them gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I can't imagine the joy that a Lego LotR set would bring. Lego Nazgûl! Helm's Deep with a hidden catapult on the bridge to launch Gimli!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

kensei posted:

New poll up for Kids Members - which of these sets do you want to see Lego produce:

LOTR/ The Hobbit
Cars
SpongeBob
TMNT
Batman
Scooby Doo
Iron Man
Star Trek
Ghost Busters

Sadly, there was no 'All of them!' option.

There was also a couple of questions about Halo and their Mega Blocks sets too.

Ghostbusters is one loving word, god drat it.
Unless they mean that piece of poo poo Larry Storch show with the gorilla from he 70's.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
LEGO Sigourney Weaver from Ghostbusters could kick the rear end of LEGO Sigourney Weaver from Avatar any day of the week; Ghostbusters all the way. Plus it's the only feasible way we may ever get a Rick Moranis action figure.

Also wasn't the TMNT license already picked up by Megablocks?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
To hell with you people, Star Trek is the only true answer.

Or Futurama, but that's never going to happen :(

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Flavor Bear posted:

Unless they mean that piece of poo poo Larry Storch show with the gorilla from he 70's.

I copy/pasted from their survey, relax man.

ApathyGifted posted:

To hell with you people, Star Trek is the only true answer.

Or Futurama, but that's never going to happen :(

I made sure we voted Star Trek :hf:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

kensei posted:

I copy/pasted from their survey, relax man.

I don't give a poo poo who spelled it wrong, I still have to sperg about it.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I also voted Star Trek so that I can finally settle the Star Trek vs. Star Wars debate the only way I know how: with mock Lego battles.

Though Lego Ghostbusters would be pretty loving awesome as well. Unfortunately, given the popular culture of today, the likely winner is Avatar, which means I'll have to hang my head in shame every time I go into the Lego aisle in the future.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Flavor Bear posted:

If we're talking about a license based on the original movie, it's actually Ghost Busters... re-watch it and see!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ChickenHeart posted:

LEGO Sigourney Weaver from Ghostbusters could kick the rear end of LEGO Sigourney Weaver from Avatar any day of the week; Ghostbusters all the way. Plus it's the only feasible way we may ever get a Rick Moranis action figure

What about LEGO Sigourney Weaver from Alien :swoon:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Captain Duvel posted:

Avatar is a childrens movie now? I also always wondered why they didn't jump onto LOTR when it came out.

I think they mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

I happened across this:

What are those metallic pieces on the kings and queens from?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The pirate sets have them in chests as treasure. Indiana Jones might, too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sair posted:

No it was the blue cats Avatar :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Avatar could be cool if they make sets with the mechs and dropships and stuff.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sair posted:

I happened across this:

I am so going to built something like that, only give it a personal touch.
Why didn't I think of that before? :ughh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Awful Nick posted:

Unfortunately, given the popular culture of today, the likely winner is Avatar, which means I'll have to hang my head in shame every time I go into the Lego aisle in the future.

Please. As awesome as Lego Ghostbusters would be, unless they come out with a new, good movie or something, it wouldn't be a massive success. Avatar is successful, popular, and has some really bitchin' creature and vehicle designs. Image assault incoming!

:lol:

Sair posted:

Avatar the Last Airbender had two Lego sets released alongside Spongebob Squarepants sets, to test and see which would sell better. Guess who won. Here's a hint!

Also I find it absolutely adorable when people try to disable downloading of their flickr account images.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Sair posted:

I happened across this:

One of the 1 x 1 round appears to be Chrome Antique Brass, which came with the Harry Potter Durmstrang Ship. The silver ones came in the Titan XP ~Creator robot set. The crowns are Belville.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 14, 2010

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Captain Invictus posted:

Also I find it absolutely adorable when people try to disable downloading of their flickr account images.

Man that's a pet peeve of mine.

I got the impression regular Avatar figures didn't sell well. They hit the discount bin in bulk pretty quickly. Not sure why Lego would do any better. LotR/Hobbit would definitely be my pick out of that list (going off the list, I want more cowboys)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

There have been other Lego Gundams, but I think this is, by far, the best I've ever seen:

It's got articulation like one of Bandai's MG kits, it's minifig-scaled, it's pretty well-proportioned, and he even crammed a transforming Core Fighter in it.
Perhaps the only issue is it doesn't seem like it's self-supporting--there seems to be a stand holding it in most poses.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pyroclastic posted:

There have been other Lego Gundams, but I think this is, by far, the best I've ever seen:

It's got articulation like one of Bandai's MG kits, it's minifig-scaled, it's pretty well-proportioned, and he even crammed a transforming Core Fighter in it.
Perhaps the only issue is it doesn't seem like it's self-supporting--there seems to be a stand holding it in most poses.

The creator says it's based off the Real Grade model kit, which in and of itself is a frighteningly complex piece of plastic engineering. But yeah, looking through the page I was thoroughly impressed. I especially like the way he did the head and hands. It's hard to get the Gundam face right in LEGO form because of its shape and the eyes, but he somehow managed to pull it off quite well. The articulated hands are also a nice touch, and I might steal the ideas from his playbook. Making convincing looking robot hands in LEGO a feat worth noting. It looks like he cut those plastic tubes that come with some sets so that the trigger finger could be posed independently from the rest of the fingers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is absolutely amazing, but for the love of god, MUTE THE gently caress OUT OF THE VIDEO BEFORE STARTING IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-s550lacA

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I love Ghostbusters as much as anyone but once you've got your $30 Ecto-1 and $99 Fire Station, there's not much more to do with it. Ditto TMNT. Lego needs vehicles to work off of, or we get half-assed excuse-to-make-minifigs lines like Batman and Indy. So yeah, Trek is the only real answer there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Why are we kidding ourselves. Cars 2 is coming out in 2011 and LEGO is gay for Disney.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Krispy Kareem posted:

Why are we kidding ourselves. Cars 2 is coming out in 2011 and LEGO is gay for Disney.

They launched the DUPLO Cars line this year. I'd be suprised if they were going to do a LEGO range as well.

I'm suprised it took so long. Cars is a merchandise juggernaut. I mean the movie isn't as beloved as most of Pixar's stuff but it churns out an insane amount of money. Pre-Toy Story 3 it was the most profitable Pixar film when you took merchandsing into account. Not sure if Toy Story 3 will top it, but either way Cars 2 will get the crown back. I think it suprises a lot of people just how ridiculously popular Cars is.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 14, 2010

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gravy Jones posted:

They launched the DUPLO Cars line this year. I'd be suprised if they were going to do a LEGO range as well.

I'm suprised it took so long. Cars is a merchandise juggernaut. I mean the movie isn't as beloved as most of Pixar's stuff but it churns out an insane amount of money. Pre-Toy Story 3 it was the most profitable Pixar film when you took merchandsing into account. Not sure if Toy Story 3 will top it, but either way Cars 2 will get the crown back. I think it suprises a lot of people just how ridiculously popular Cars is.

My nephews were saying Cars was their favorite movie before it even came out. You didn't even need a movie, just lots of merchandising.

And it's bonus for LEGO because you don't need to include any mini-figs!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Krispy Kareem posted:

My nephews were saying Cars was their favorite movie before it even came out. You didn't even need a movie, just lots of merchandising.

Yeah I should have said "I think it suprises a lot of people who don't have young male relatives just how ridiculously popular Cars is"!

Unfortunately I've seen it more times than I've seen any other movie :( I'm intentionally not buying any of the DUPLO sets even though my kid would love them because I want him to have something he plays with that's not Cars related.

Well that and the fact that they're hideously expensive.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Thanks to me, my nephews are into Transformers Animated/Beast Wars (not the movies), Superman, non-lisenced Lego, and Big Wheels-type vehicles, just as god intended.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Hey UK Goons, the Lego episode of How Do They Do It is on Discovery Channel (Sky: 520) right now!

:britain:

edit:
Found it on youtube if you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JBFLgOmrM

beato fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 14, 2010

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Pehther posted:

I really, really believe you added an extra '0' there. I've been hoping to get some money to start buying Lego again (it's been around 20 years) but I find I get intimidated by the $0.10 per brick average. I see the 20 dollar sets I think would be fun...but then my eyes wander up to that Slave I and I realize I can't afford that yet.

If you buy the giant tubs of bricks that aren't meant to build anything in particular, it's about $40/1000 bricks. It's 29.99 for a 700 piece tub from TRU.

The licensed sets are hella expensive though. :( I think I'm gonna go stop by TRU though, and drop $40 of my paycheck, since my 450 piece tub that I got for when my nephew comes over isn't really enough to satiate me.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait what's holding the ammo chain together there? I feel like I can see something right where it's coming out of the gun around the back but I don't get any evidence of that anywhere else.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Daisyvondoom posted:

Wait what's holding the ammo chain together there? I feel like I can see something right where it's coming out of the gun around the back but I don't get any evidence of that anywhere else.

It looks like some sort of narrow, thin plastic strip. I doubt it's an actual lego piece but it's possible.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

I love Ghostbusters as much as anyone but once you've got your $30 Ecto-1 and $99 Fire Station, there's not much more to do with it. Ditto TMNT. Lego needs vehicles to work off of, or we get half-assed excuse-to-make-minifigs lines like Batman and Indy. So yeah, Trek is the only real answer there.

The top of Dana's apartment building could be cool.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Thanks guys... you made me go and buy this.

Full size poo poo phone pic.

Now I need more :toot:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

Construct-a-Stay Puft Marshmellow Man?

Still, I agree, Trek would be my vote.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

AA is for Quitters posted:

If you buy the giant tubs of bricks that aren't meant to build anything in particular, it's about $40/1000 bricks. It's 29.99 for a 700 piece tub from TRU.

The licensed sets are hella expensive though. :( I think I'm gonna go stop by TRU though, and drop $40 of my paycheck, since my 450 piece tub that I got for when my nephew comes over isn't really enough to satiate me.

I think I'm focusing on the sets too much. There are about a half a dozen I'd love to get (plus probably a half a dozen of the sets they don't make anymore), but a tub might be a better option at the moment. I honestly haven't been looking at those because I tend not to see myself as very creative without some sort of direction. I guess we'll see what comes of it.

Edit: I'm sort of surprised Blizzard and Lego haven't teamed up for a run...seems like that'd be a cash cow. Maybe they just figure WoW players simply don't have the time to build things, but they certainly have the disposable income to buy things.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Star Trek would be my vote by default simply because I've had a massive trek hard-on since I was 6 years old. I would do everything short of genocide to see officially licensed Star Trek LEGO kits.

That being said, I'm not really quite getting all the "Avatar" hate. The only thing I find insufferable about Avatar (besides the use of the word "Unobtanium") is the obsessive (somewhat perverted) fan base. Avatar really was the "Star Wars" for the current generation. Big, flashy, cool to look at, cinematic spectacle on a scale never before seen, and utterly derivative. I'm not trying to say it was the best movie ever made or anything, but I can certainly think of far worse ways to spend 3 hours. Avatar themed LEGO kits could be potentially really cool, with all the helicopters and mechs and gunships, I'm just concerned that anything from the blue alien things side would be way to greeble-centric.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
$30 later, I manged to escape with not one, but two lego sets! The Creator 3-1 sets, which are actually really awesome. I've spent the night while waiting for dinner to cook making a totally sweet sports car and a totally sweet airplane...and joining them together to make it a totally sweet flying car.

...I have a feeling I'm going to be devoting 15-20 of every paycheck to lego sets now, because drat, I forgot how totally awesome it is to not only build, but play with lego. It's like...impossible to resist playing with the things you build.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

beato posted:

Hey UK Goons, the Lego episode of How Do They Do It is on Discovery Channel (Sky: 520) right now!

:britain:

edit:
Found it on youtube if you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JBFLgOmrM

That's awesome. I wonder if they'd ever consider US-based factories, might cut down on the consumer cost here.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's awesome. I wonder if they'd ever consider US-based factories, might cut down on the consumer cost here.

LEGO used to manufacture pieces in Enfield, CT but I don't know when they stopped. LEGO pieces were also made in Denver CO back when Samsonite (yes, the luggage maker) had the license to make them for the US. IIRC, the Samsonite license ended in the late 70s or early 80s.

edit: Samsonite stopped making LEGO in the US in 1972, Canada in 1986.

rockinricky fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

AA is for Quitters posted:

It's like...impossible to resist playing with the things you build.

When I finished building my X-Wing, I didn't just carry it upstairs... I flew it, while making flying sounds. :cool: