Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Adam is wearing loving Batman gauntlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Adam has a full modern day Batman suit, but some flimsy looking helmet. He should have dug in with his arm hook things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hazo posted:

Adam is wearing loving Batman gauntlets.

Ha, I didn't even notice those at first.

Have they explained what is up with Adam's superhero body armor? I've noticed him and Jamie have used it in a couple episodes but I've never seen them introduce it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I honestly hope they make no mention of it and just play it off like wearing Batgloves is just something Adam does for fun.

edit: Nice job on that 100% prediction Reed :downs:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I've been missing this show a lot for some reason.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just noticed the build team hasn't showed up at all and the show is almost over.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

muscles like this? posted:

Ha, I didn't even notice those at first.

Have they explained what is up with Adam's superhero body armor? I've noticed him and Jamie have used it in a couple episodes but I've never seen them introduce it.

He explained it at some conference or convention I forget the name of, but it's literally movie-accurate Dark Knight replica armor that Adam bought for fun. apparently it's strong stuff.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Yeargghhh!!!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The tornado snuggie would be cool until something hit the part that wasn't armored.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maduo posted:

He explained it at some conference or convention I forget the name of, but it's literally movie-accurate Dark Knight replica armor that Adam bought for fun. apparently it's strong stuff.

Those are pretty cool. Especially those Iron Man boots.

Too bad about the episode, it sucked.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

Overbite posted:

The tornado snuggie would be cool until something hit the part that wasn't armored.

Or if it dropped a tree on you.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Overbite posted:

I love how it is designed for straight line winds coming from one direction, but tornados are characterized precisely by not having straight line winds. This episode was simply pathetic on all fronts.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Sounds like I didn't miss much tonight. However, I'm positively giddy at the prospect of them testing poo poo hitting the fan next week.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

fishmaster17 posted:

Or if it dropped a tree on you.

Or a car, or a roof, or a house with a roof attached, or a couple of mobile homes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

XK posted:

I love how it is designed for straight line winds coming from one direction, but tornados are characterized precisely by not having straight line winds. This episode was simply pathetic on all fronts.

It was supposed to have a pivot point on the bottom so it could turn toward the wind but I don't see how it would work that well.

Speaking of stuff flying at it, that's something they left out of their tests of those stupid vehicles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FogHelmut posted:

Adam has a full modern day Batman suit, but some flimsy looking helmet. He should have dug in with his arm hook things.

No joke, it's a helmet for surfers called a Gath Hat.

It's designed for low speed impacts into sand and rock. In other words, utterly useless fo debris hitting you in the head at 130MPH.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The episode was pretty lame.

The thing about Storm Chasers is this. Sean, the guy with the giant tank, isn't in it for science. He is a film maker trying to make a movie. He wants a shot from inside a tornado. That's why he has the TIV. For a while, he was teamed up with a scientist so that they could guide him into a twister. They strapped some scientific doodads to the TIV to get measurements that otherwise they wouldn't normally get. Basically, if you remember the movie Twister, where they drop pods off and hope the twister hits them, well that is what they tried to turn the TIV into.

Reed was a meteorology student who made a living selling videos of tornadoes. The internet being what it is, his website gained popularity thanks in part to his dramatic yelling in his videos, and he was eventually added to the Storm Chasers cast. At first, he was just there with a normal truck running around taping twisters for cash. Then he built his own bootleg TIV called The Dominator and now flings his crew at every twister he can. The Dominator has a whole bunch of scientific doodads all built in or something, as opposed to the TIV which kind of just had them strapped on by the scientists if they were around.

Sean never cared for the scientists because they cramped his style and he feels they cost him the shot a lot of times. Now he put a meteorologist as his navigator and hilariously enough, the meteorologist is more aggressive about intercepting than he is, because he is all hung up trying to also direct the second unit cam crew, much like the science team was hung up... uh.. being scientists. So I am looking forward to another season of mostly failure there, unless they start gelling.

Next week's episode looks grim though. :smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Reed's yelling has to rank among the Top 3 Most Annoying Things In the World, but I'll watch tonight's season premiere... and probably whatever else this season has to offer.

Such is the TV perils of living in Tornado Alley. :smith:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

ToastyPotato posted:

The episode was pretty lame.

The thing about Storm Chasers is this. Sean, the guy with the giant tank, isn't in it for science. He is a film maker trying to make a movie. He wants a shot from inside a tornado. That's why he has the TIV. For a while, he was teamed up with a scientist so that they could guide him into a twister. They strapped some scientific doodads to the TIV to get measurements that otherwise they wouldn't normally get. Basically, if you remember the movie Twister, where they drop pods off and hope the twister hits them, well that is what they tried to turn the TIV into.

Reed was a meteorology student who made a living selling videos of tornadoes. The internet being what it is, his website gained popularity thanks in part to his dramatic yelling in his videos, and he was eventually added to the Storm Chasers cast. At first, he was just there with a normal truck running around taping twisters for cash. Then he built his own bootleg TIV called The Dominator and now flings his crew at every twister he can. The Dominator has a whole bunch of scientific doodads all built in or something, as opposed to the TIV which kind of just had them strapped on by the scientists if they were around.

Sean never cared for the scientists because they cramped his style and he feels they cost him the shot a lot of times. Now he put a meteorologist as his navigator and hilariously enough, the meteorologist is more aggressive about intercepting than he is, because he is all hung up trying to also direct the second unit cam crew, much like the science team was hung up... uh.. being scientists. So I am looking forward to another season of mostly failure there, unless they start gelling.

Next week's episode looks grim though. :smith:

I love Reed Timmer. He successfully monetized storm chasing and I guarantee all the other chasers out there are very pissed they didn't think of it before him. He's interesting to watch and if you've seen the first season of Stormchasers you'd understand why he is on there. Imagine 10 episodes of ONLY Sean Casey, it was so bad.

Talking about the preview for next week's episode.
I don't know what is up with that guy (dead guy?) they kept on showing. I was under the impression that most of the time if you're dead on TV they blur out your face (they did that on Deadliest Catch at least.) I hope it's just creative editing, but with Joel crying I don't know.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm thinking the guy was probably breathing, but knocked out. Either way it's pretty intense (hence the emotions).

I drove through Yazoo the other day..right where the Tornado came over. It's incredible..we have trees everywhere and then it's all of a sudden a half mile wide strip of ....trees...sort of. They're still there (some of them), but just totally stripped and whipped into all different shapes. It's really quite striking.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

BonoMan posted:

I'm thinking the guy was probably breathing, but knocked out. Either way it's pretty intense (hence the emotions).

He's definitely alive, and I'm sure after all of the hoopla and flashing that scene at every commercial break, Reed will go up to him, say "Hey buddy", and the guy will open his eyes and crawl out on his own. I'm not going to call it a "letdown"(because the alternative is that he's dead), but it's not going to be very dramatic.

Am I the only one that thinks Sean is the biggest crybaby on tv right now? All he does is bitch and moan about everything, treats everyone like a piece of poo poo, and talks poo poo about Reed. I think he's insanely jealous that a guy like Reed is getting awesome footage that he's making money on, and having fun doing it. Thet comment about how Reed "should have asked me if he could build a vehicle kind of like mine" made me want to punch him in the face.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Meathole posted:

He's definitely alive, and I'm sure after all of the hoopla and flashing that scene at every commercial break, Reed will go up to him, say "Hey buddy", and the guy will open his eyes and crawl out on his own. I'm not going to call it a "letdown"(because the alternative is that he's dead), but it's not going to be very dramatic.

Am I the only one that thinks Sean is the biggest crybaby on tv right now? All he does is bitch and moan about everything, treats everyone like a piece of poo poo, and talks poo poo about Reed. I think he's insanely jealous that a guy like Reed is getting awesome footage that he's making money on, and having fun doing it. Thet comment about how Reed "should have asked me if he could build a vehicle kind of like mine" made me want to punch him in the face.

I think he's actually losing it really. It all seems to be getting to him after 10 years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Sean definitely cries a lot. Literally. I think Reed is a great addition to the show, but I could totally see why various people in various positions might not like him.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ugggh, the mythbusters are getting ANOTHER celebrity guest next month :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101018/tv_nm/us_obama_mythbusters_1

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

change my name posted:

Ugggh, the mythbusters are getting ANOTHER celebrity guest next month :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101018/tv_nm/us_obama_mythbusters_1

:sigh:
But seriously I wonder how awkwardly phoned in it's going to be. I'm already cringing at whatever Adam will say.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ugh. My fiance was just complaining how she doesn't like when Obama does those little scripted "hey I'm just hanging out with the regular joe" things and I was all "oh that's dumb he doesn't do that many of those!"

welp

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I hope they investigate the myth of his birth certificate. :smugdog:

Seriously though, is he going to take part in the show? Or just have a recorded bit where he's like "Obama here, science is cool."

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Perhaps it'll be an episode focused around presidential myths?

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

FogHelmut posted:

I hope they investigate the myth of his birth certificate. :smugdog:

Seriously though, is he going to take part in the show? Or just have a recorded bit where he's like "Obama here, science is cool."
It looks like they just filmed the opening set-up scene at the White House. I'm sure it won't be any more overly staged and fake than usual. Maybe a bit less goofy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

http://blogs.discovery.com/discovery-insider/2010/10/president-obama-to-appear-on-mythbusters.html

This again.

quote:

President Obama will be featured in the December 8th MythBusters episode, "Archimedes Solar Ray," during which he will challenge the MythBusters to revisit an ancient and somewhat controversial myth: Did Greek scientist and polymath Archimedes set fire to an invading Roman fleet using only mirrors and the reflected rays of the sun? Will Adam and Jamie be able to pull this off, or will they have to report back to the President that they failed?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I guess they really have run out of myths. I wonder if they're going to phone in the rest of the season too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

They're going to talk about the myth for a while and then Obama announces he's giving General Dynamics a hundred million dollars to make a full-size model.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Won't that be like the third time they've tried that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Are these new American Chopper episodes actually new, or are they from the show's run on TLC?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are these new American Chopper episodes actually new, or are they from the show's run on TLC?

I am wondering the same thing. I have looked online and cannot find anything conclusive.

Edit:

Episode 1 of Season 7 is the Domani Studios Bike. My TV Guide says today's episode is Christopher and Dana Reeve foundation bike with an original air date of 01/7/2010. :-(

Moniker fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 18, 2010

Mushboom
Apr 9, 2005
Adopted by Adam Kensai. If I mess up, ban him.

XK posted:

I guess they really have run out of myths. I wonder if they're going to phone in the rest of the season too.

They're probably revisiting it again becuse there have been claims that the new Vdara Hotel in Vegas is acting like a death ray and burning tourists.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Teek posted:

Won't that be like the third time they've tried that?

Fourth time, I believe. First was on their own, second was where they had the one guy and two girls build their own as part of a contest (one of them didn't survive the trip to San Fran), third was the one built by the college professor and his class.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

the-jam posted:

It looks like they just filmed the opening set-up scene at the White House. I'm sure it won't be any more overly staged and fake than usual. Maybe a bit less goofy.

Come on Jamie, Adam at least put a tie on.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

robot roll call posted:

Come on Jamie, Adam at least put a tie on.
It looks like Adam is wearing a tie but he's also wearing jeans so it's kind of a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Mushboom posted:

They're probably revisiting it again becuse there have been claims that the new Vdara Hotel in Vegas is acting like a death ray and burning tourists.
But that isn't a myth. Its actually a well documented phenomenon.

• Locked thread