Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Should be taking a trip up PCH to San Fransisco next weekend from Saturday-Monday. About a 5 hour drive? Chain and oil is good. Anything I should know? This will be my longest commute yet. Luckily it's a sumo so it should be "kind of" comfortable. I got some bungies on the back where I'll put my clothes and maybe some other bits.

Also, apparently there's a motocross track on base? But it's super dusty and I hate to leave my bike outside to rot in the sun (even though I have a cover). I'm an hour from Sequoia and 2 from Yosemite. I foresee a lot of day/weekend trips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

Should be taking a trip up PCH to San Fransisco next weekend from Saturday-Monday. About a 5 hour drive? Chain and oil is good. Anything I should know? This will be my longest commute yet. Luckily it's a sumo so it should be "kind of" comfortable. I got some bungies on the back where I'll put my clothes and maybe some other bits.

Also, apparently there's a motocross track on base? But it's super dusty and I hate to leave my bike outside to rot in the sun (even though I have a cover). I'm an hour from Sequoia and 2 from Yosemite. I foresee a lot of day/weekend trips

If you pass through SB, we should get together and grab lunch or something.

Watch the 25/20mph signs on 1 north after you past hurst castle, some of those corners are really, really seriously sharp and will sneak up on you.

I've done that trip, the best part is in the middle, from hurst castle to big sur. If you want to extend the trip a bit you could head up highway 9 or something, but I don't know if you'll want it at that point.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
How much should I offer this guy for his bike?:
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1990747758.html

Its stock except for a ducati tail light swap. Has 2500-3000 miles on it, not sure as the odometer has been swapped a few times. Two sets of tires, 50-60% tread on both, not been crashed. Guy says he has 5 bikes and one has to go and this is it.

Thinking around offering 3k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Start at 2500$, go up until he agrees. Try and get it for around 3k.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
He said he'd take 3k for it. Going out tomorrow after work. So excited.

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

henne posted:

He said he'd take 3k for it. Going out tomorrow after work. So excited.

Sounds like a great price to me. Wish i could pick one up for that much.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Oh hey, I made a motard tonight!

Pics:

Getting started:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Bracket that had me struggling like a goddamn ignoramus (Z3n is a very nice man and saved me from myself in this process):

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Front wheel finally in place!

All done:

I picked up the rims/hubs/rotors/etc from Z3n for a pretty sweet deal. I wanted to motard this bad boy from the start and it all worked out within a few weeks (bike, parts, etc.).

I struggled mainly with the fact that I haven't done this before, or anything like it really. It honestly wasn't that bad and I could probably do it again in an hour without much fight.

Still need to set up the speedo. on my test run tonight, I just went without and kept glancing down for it but it was nowhere to be found.

My first ride was awesome. The DRZ is in no way overhyped. With the motard setup, it is such a poo poo-eating grin experience to ride. It seriously feels like it is begging to corner faster no matter what I do. I was pretty tame with it because I don't want to learn the traction limits right off the bat, but I am sure that I was no where near them in my half hour of test riding.

According to my girlfriend it still looks stupid and the bonnie is better.

Also, noticed this rust during the work, made me a little :-(. Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Anyway, thanks to Z3n I now join the ranks of motards. I couldn't be more excited. I took the day off from work tomorrow just to eff around on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Girls tend not to "get" supermoto bikes in my experience, although there are a special few.

As for the rust, I'd hit it with sandpaper till you get it down to the metal, then go to your nearest hardware store and get a gray paint pen.

You can probably order the exact color in a paint pen from colorite, but that rust is in such an out of the way place that you wont generally notice if a small bit is off-color.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Phat_Albert posted:

Girls tend not to "get" supermoto bikes in my experience, although there are a special few.

My girlfriend at the time didn't "get" supermotos until, while giving her a ride, I missed a turn in the city and did a Uey across a raised meridian, scraping the bash plate in the process. She could not stop laughing. :v: Also not slowing down for speed fun bumps and doing wheelies off of sidewalks onto the street made her convert. :D

She had way more fun on the "ugly" DR than the sexy GSXR.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Multi gear, 2 up wheelies will convert any passenger who likes adrenaline.

If they're riders, the light weight and responsive nature of sumos will sell them. Bunway's favorite bike was her DRZ. Supermotos are pretty much the ultimate girl bike. :v:

ohwandernearer, glad everything worked out, enjoy the bike!

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

ohwandernearer posted:

It seriously feels like it is begging to corner faster no matter what I do.

This is seriously the truth. Every time I think I'm going to just haul through a corner as I'm powering out of it I always realize how far away from it's limits I am.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm looking at buying a 2006 KTM 625 SMC tonight with about 4k on the clock. Comes with sexy white and black Euro fairing, as well as stock fairing and all black fairing, and different sets of handguards as well. Also, this one has passenger pegs (?).

If I get it, what should I set the sag at, approximately? I'm used to streetbikes with 30mm of sag in the rear. SMJ thread says 65mm or 2.6 inches.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Welp. I drove 120 miles from CT to Long Island to look at the KTM, bought it after a test ride, and then rode that bitch 120 miles back on the highway at approximately midnight to get home. Fuckin cold hut it was worth it.

And everybody who says that the LC4 engine vibrates too much for the street or that supermotos cant do highway are bitches, poo poo was fine. My 80's bikes vibrated worse in certain parts of their power bands, and as long as you change up how you're sitting every so often I can get as much range on that as I did on my CBR (which I took from CT to Florida).

Also I can only get one toe on the ground and I love it. Rode on sidewalks and curbs when I got back to my town. No wheelies...yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never did get people who dont like SM's on the highway. Yeah its windy, and they get blown around, but unless your average highway speed is 95mph, you'll be fine.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
This video kicks rear end! It's probably even better if you speak French though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9aPtNC-rIs

Crazy badass French people...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From the related section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZiEmZ7Clw

Also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0ARsvJElA

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

I never did get people who dont like SM's on the highway. Yeah its windy, and they get blown around, but unless your average highway speed is 95mph, you'll be fine.

The big thing for me is you just don't have the power/gearing to squirt through traffic if you need to. On some of the interstates around here average speeds of traffic is pushing 80, the 625 doesn't have much to give above that. But, if you're paying attention and planning ahead like you should it isn't a big deal. It's nice to hop back on the CBR and just plonk it in 6th and always have the grunt you need for any reason on the interstate though :shobon:

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Becktastic posted:

This video kicks rear end! It's probably even better if you speak French though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9aPtNC-rIs

Crazy badass French people...

Does anyone know which bikes they are riding here?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I know that the naked standard is a Ducati Streetfighter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The sumo is a converted YZF-450

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The sportbike is an Aprilia RSV

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I thought it was a Ducati, but couldn't tell what the others were. Thanks

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Even though it's getting cold here in Connecticut I'm starting to learn how to ride my KTM 625 quickly. Where do you guys usually sit on the seat for spirited riding? I don't mean the knee out/foot out thing, but rather where you sit on the seat from front to back. There's a lot of space my rear end could go and I'm not sure where the best place is for it.

I also noticed that for 2up riding I have to sit way forward near the tank to allow the passenger enough room for themselves. Normally on sportbikes I tell them to brace against the back of the tank for braking, but on the sumo there isn't poo poo they can hold onto so I get a lovely slam whenever I brake.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 14, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Middle for knee down antics, towards the back for wheelie antics, and up on the tank for foot out/stoppie antics.

Use your knees to grip the tank when you're riding 2 up, and don't mash the poo poo out of the brakes and you shouldn't have too many issues with your passengers sliding forward on you. Or you could install a grippier seat.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I'm definitely not a "quick" rider but I do ok. I really haven't hosed with dirt style cornering on the sumo but on tracks I try to keep my rear end centered on the bike front to back but get my upper body forward to weight the front tire. I've never really had traction issues at the rear but I've pushed the front hard enough to make it seriously chatter and skip across the track... always an interesting feeling. Since I'm a vain motherfucker have a couple pics!

Edit: Make sure to check your suspension settings... I dunno if the PO of my KTM messed around with them or what, but mine were ALL OVER the loving place. Made a huge difference in how the bike feels at speed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is that an 08 690 SM or SMC or something?

I hate seeing those. Makes me feel like that kid at school with the ugly lunch box (07 690 SM aka beaker) in awe because of that kid with that sweet Ninja turtle one.

I think I'll hold on to my beaker for another 6-12 months and then "upgrade" to a new-ish SMC.

That's it as far as the late model Super Motos right? SM and SMC? Is there anything besides an SMC that's an upgrade from an SM or are they all ridiculous expensive? Ducati, husqvarna or whatever the hell. Dukes are rad but I think I'm sumo fo' life.

And I wish I had under fairing exhaust :argh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's a 625 SMC. From where you sit the only upgrade is a 2008+ 690 SMC.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah, duh. That's what my friend has. It's the paint mixer that back fires down the highway. And it's pretty awesome. That thing is insanely wheely happy. I think his is a 624 SMC?

In terms of power mods for a 690 SM/SMC. What are the options?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I did indeed return the suspension to factory settings for now. Also, I can really tell that my mufflers have been cut compared to yours. Mine's a 2006 625 SMC and the only things I'm aware of are the airbox lid removed, the mufflers de-baffled and shortened, and a rejet.

I really should get some better pics of it than the cell phone pic my friend took. The only thing I've done so far is put some white Acerbis handguards on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

In terms of power mods for a 690 SM/SMC. What are the options?
There's only one mod:
Apply throttle until satisfied.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Don't get me wrong I love the torque but I also miss my GSXR 750...sometimes....

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Short of a big bore kit, there is really nothing you can do to a 690 SMC to make it better power wise. If you mod the airbox, put a exhaust on, and map it on the dyno, you may see some small gains. You can remove some evap crap and save some weight but power? You won't be lacking in that department stock. It'll never be a GSXR750. If you need that, buy a sport bike for the street like I did to compliment the motard.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh I love the poo poo out of my sumo and a second bike isn't really an option. I was just wondering if I did want to add some powers if and what the options would be.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Z3n posted:

Middle for knee down antics, towards the back for wheelie antics, and up on the tank for foot out/stoppie antics.

Use your knees to grip the tank when you're riding 2 up, and don't mash the poo poo out of the brakes and you shouldn't have too many issues with your passengers sliding forward on you. Or you could install a grippier seat.

edit:

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 15, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You can put an aftermarket pipe on for a loss of all midrange power. It's a trade-off, lose power, gain noise.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, mine has that freaking expensive leo vince exhaust. The ECU was rejetted or whatever by the dealer so who knows.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

Yeah, mine has that freaking expensive leo vince exhaust. The ECU was rejetted or whatever by the dealer so who knows.

There's a good chance your bike is running like poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Spiffness posted:

There's a good chance your bike is running like poo poo.

Because of the exhaust or because it wasn't tuned for the exhaust? I thought that's what the rejet or whatever it was called was for.

Wait, sorry. It had a Akrapovic remap for the exhaust

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Canned maps are generally shite. Powercommander (or similar) + custom mapping on a dyno is the only way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well I have no idea about any of that stuff. Just know that's what was done to it.

Why are the 08+ 690 SMCs SO expensive? It's ridiculous.

Also, is the 950 SM even a Super Moto anymore? Thing must be heavy!

I'm lost. In 07 The 690 was introduced with the new motor and all. So in 07 there was the beaker 690 SM and some beaker SMC-R or SMC something? I remember seeing one on craigslist. Then in 08 there was the SMC with the completely different body style....and a regular SM? Then in 09 there's the enduro/SM? Same thing? AND SMC? I'm confused.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 14, 2010

• Locked thread