Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Sorry for the double post, but this has actual knitted stuff in it!

I hate knitting for guys. My questions where "What colour would you like your socks?" and "Can I do fancy things with them?" I got "sock coloured" and "no. I just want socks." :(

Enter black socks (most of his socks are black, so I assumed that's what he meant with 'sock coloured') with a neat gusset that crosses the top of the foot so I didn't die of boredom.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

I finished these a week or two ago, but I was gonna take pictures of the cute little matching ones for his son (they were adorable and teeny and took about 6 hours). Then I mailed both sets without taking pictures of the little ones. :( But I totally will knit more socks for that kid, because teeny socks are so freaking cute and take so little yarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this has actual knitted stuff in it!

I hate knitting for guys. My questions where "What colour would you like your socks?" and "Can I do fancy things with them?" I got "sock coloured" and "no. I just want socks." :(

Enter black socks (most of his socks are black, so I assumed that's what he meant with 'sock coloured') with a neat gusset that crosses the top of the foot so I didn't die of boredom.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

I finished these a week or two ago, but I was gonna take pictures of the cute little matching ones for his son (they were adorable and teeny and took about 6 hours). Then I mailed both sets without taking pictures of the little ones. :( But I totally will knit more socks for that kid, because teeny socks are so freaking cute and take so little yarn.

I've never really knit anything for guys exept I made my brother a hat once (brown, but with some nice cables - the Koolhaas hat). Of course I have no idea if he ever wears it because he lives on a different continent but whatever.

My piano teacher said maybe some day I can knit him a vest but of course he wants a plain black one. Oy. Man sized plain black vest (probably in fingering weight yarn). Just as soon as I can get six weeks off work, ok.

Is that the coriolis sock? Or just one that looks like it? I made a pair of those a while ago and I just love them, one of the most comfy pairs of socks I've ever made.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I've never really knit anything for guys exept I made my brother a hat once (brown, but with some nice cables - the Koolhaas hat). Of course I have no idea if he ever wears it because he lives on a different continent but whatever.

My piano teacher said maybe some day I can knit him a vest but of course he wants a plain black one. Oy. Man sized plain black vest (probably in fingering weight yarn). Just as soon as I can get six weeks off work, ok.

Yeah, my husband's been pissing and moaning for months about how I don't love him because I won't knit him a sweater. He's 6'4" and refuses to even consider anything other than a charcoal grey stockingette long-sleeved pullover. Sure, I'll put that on my to-do list...

Although recently he's been seeming interested in some cables and Aran sweater designs. If he's willing to let me do that, the chances of this actually occurring will go up considerably.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Is that the coriolis sock? Or just one that looks like it? I made a pair of those a while ago and I just love them, one of the most comfy pairs of socks I've ever made.

It is based off that, but I mostly just free styled it. Not pictured is how I lost count (they're plain socks who cares so long as they fit?!) and so the band doesn't quite make it to the other side of the sock.

I will never ever knit anything bigger than socks for a guy unless they agree to awesome stuff.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I think I found something for that yarn I got: here.

I'm not really a scarf person, but I'm feeling this design.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just past the 7 inch mark.

On the one hand, this part is boring. One row of knit, one row of K1 P1. Over and over.

On the other hand, it's nice because I can pick it up at just about any time and within 5 seconds figure out exactly where I am and continue from there.

Also, apparently I grabbed size 10 circs instead of 9s. The problem is I can't really tell how big it actually is, since the needles are 32" and I'm a bit bigger around than that, so there's some necessary bunching. So I'm either going to end up with a really baggy vest or I can just say it's extra room for Thanksgiving dinner.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I have some questions. Have any of you guys used Knitpits DPNs? If so, how the hell did you do it? They are freakishly small.

That's only 11 stitches of DK weight on a set of 4mms! They are so freaking tiny that I can't grasp them properly. I'm going to have to go to another shop and find some normal ones because my new LYS only had them. They had other sets of DPNs, but no other 4mms.

Oh, and I don't like my new LYS. My old one was pretty useless and only really had acrylic (although it was getting better!). This one is the opposite and mainly has fancy yarns with some affordable ones tucked in, but I think it's badly arranged. Oh and the shop assistant ignored me when I came in (they were having a little knitting circle in the middle of the shop talking about how one of them was a saint for sitting down with a teenager and teaching her to knit), and then didn't ask if I needed help when I'd been browsing for more than 10 minutes. In short, I don't like them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I have some questions. Have any of you guys used Knitpits DPNs? If so, how the hell did you do it? They are freakishly small.

Yikes, those DPNs are scary. I'd be terrified to use them for fear of my work falling off and unraveling. Even when knitting something small I always use DPNs that are much much longer than my work. It never hurts them to be too big, but being too small is always tricky.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I really like those DPNs! I got another set from Knitpicks sometime last December that were longer, though. They come in the same type of set as the shorter ones.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I use Knit Picks DPNs and use the 6" and 8" lengths. I have an 8" 4mm set I was just knitting with last night.

I've always ordered from their website, I didn't know they were sold in local stores. I guess that particular store only carried the super short ones.

whoops, beaten! :v:

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I didn't know they had DPNs that short. They'd be nice for all the mitten thumbs I'm going to wind up doing before Christmas. I have a set of their sock needles, and they're 6".

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

guaranteed posted:

I didn't know they had DPNs that short. They'd be nice for all the mitten thumbs I'm going to wind up doing before Christmas. I have a set of their sock needles, and they're 6".

If you want a 4" set, I have an unused one. Accidental order that I got busy and forgot about till it was too late to exchange.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

madlilnerd posted:

Oh, and I don't like my new LYS. My old one was pretty useless and only really had acrylic (although it was getting better!). This one is the opposite and mainly has fancy yarns with some affordable ones tucked in, but I think it's badly arranged. Oh and the shop assistant ignored me when I came in (they were having a little knitting circle in the middle of the shop talking about how one of them was a saint for sitting down with a teenager and teaching her to knit), and then didn't ask if I needed help when I'd been browsing for more than 10 minutes. In short, I don't like them.

Hearing older women talk about "kids today" irritates me. Inevitably it always breaks down the concept that if they just tasted a little back o' the hand, they wouldn't into any of the awful things they do, like drugs, swearing, skateboarding, or not immediately respecting people older than them just because they're older.

Old people, get a grip.

/Rant.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Hearing older women talk about "kids today" irritates me. Inevitably it always breaks down the concept that if they just tasted a little back o' the hand, they wouldn't into any of the awful things they do, like drugs, swearing, skateboarding, or not immediately respecting people older than them just because they're older.

Old people, get a grip.

/Rant.

The old women in my crochet class were talking about how Facebook kills kids! And how NYC was so much safer in the 70's/80's! And that I'm TEXTING? The fact that I can instantly contact my friends is terrible for some reason!

I've debated getting earplugs or bringing an iPod to class. :geno:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

The old women in my crochet class were talking about how Facebook kills kids! And how NYC was so much safer in the 70's/80's! And that I'm TEXTING? The fact that I can instantly contact my friends is terrible for some reason!

I guess I'm lucky anything like this I've gone too has mostly been middle aged moms with maybe a couple older women. I mean I'm talking ~40s versus ~70s, but yeah. Off topic, its funny you say that about NYC because despite having gone multiple times since then, my father still felt the need to warn me and my friends about Chinatown because when HE first went by himself, he saw a pimp smack a hoe and one of his friends got arrested because a cop wouldn't break up a fight.

So I just realized this weekend is Rhinebeck. I just spent $30 at my LYS and got a lovely check this week, but I still want to go oh god.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 15, 2010

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

I went to a knitting group at my local library that started out fine and within 20 minutes had turned into a rant about the illegal aliens all being criminals and how Arizona got it right. The scariest thing about it was that it was about an even mix of early 20s women and the elderly. The ones in their early 20s were totally on board with the whole thing, spewing just as much crap as the rest. I left and found myself a GOOD knitting group at the Panera bread instead.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Old people, get a grip.

/Rant.

Well, there was the shop assistant who was around 55, with another woman her age and a younger shop assistant. The other woman was going on and on about how "not many people have the patience to be a teacher you know" and "I sat down with this girl a couple of weeks ago and she just could not wrap her head around the knittin', so I showed her on 20mm needles to show her what was happening and she still could not wrap her head around what happens in knittin' and in the end I spent more than 40 minutes with this girl and her face lit up at the end and not many people would have had the patience to do that and I know my friend Margaret would have given up or snapped at this poor girl and..."
Then the younger shop assistant started talking about how "crochet is, like, really impossible. I, like, don't understand that popcorn thingy and these say they're doubles but, like, they look like trebles".

Ew and then the owner brought out his "dog" (I have nothing against small dogs, but this thing was by all means a purse rat) and took it out for a "walk". He picked it up, carried it to the door, set it down, saw it looked unhappy, picked it back up again and walked off with it under his arm.

I went to John Lewis today and got some Pony bamboo DPNs (hooray). The place was like a mad house though, all these people trying desperately to find the yarn they were looking for. The shelves were too high and deep. I asked an assistant there if they had all the yarn for that gorgeous Rowan scarf I want to make and the woman, instead of going down the list and just seeing if they had in on the shelf, pulled each and every ball off of the shelf, leaving me juggling yarn and confirming her suspicion that they didn't have 4 of the ones I needed.

:sigh: Knitting bliss is so hard to find.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Ew and then the owner brought out his "dog" (I have nothing against small dogs, but this thing was by all means a purse rat) and took it out for a "walk". He picked it up, carried it to the door, set it down, saw it looked unhappy, picked it back up again and walked off with it under his arm.

What the gently caress is with shop owners and their dogs? :argh:

I've been in three knitting stores where their shop owners had their dogs running over the place without a leash or anything! God forbid if anyone allergic to dogs wanted to shop. And if anyone tried to complain it was always the same response: "Oh, he's just an ANGEL, isn't it? Why just the other day little Mitsy blah blah blah"

One day I'll find a good store and a good knitting group. One day. :smith:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I always figured yarn stores it was kind of implied no pets allowed. drat animals mixing their inferior fibers with my finest silk/bamboo/merino/possum yarns :bahgawd:

I'm serious though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I had no idea how lucky I was. Every knitting store (there are three I know of nearby) is incredibly friendly, and will bend over backwards to help find stuff. My only complaint has been the one that is also a spinning/weaving store has the shittiest fiber ever. My knitting group has one old lady who is rather intense, but because of how big the official group is there are three other meetings I can go to that she isn't at. And there's a strict "no politics, no gossiping about other members, and no saying bad things about spouses/significant others" rule in place which helps keep things ueber pleasant.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

FelicityGS posted:

I had no idea how lucky I was. Every knitting store (there are three I know of nearby) is incredibly friendly, and will bend over backwards to help find stuff.

This is how it is for me too :shobon: I really love the LYS here. One of the first times I went in the old guy who owns the place was sharing stories from his childhood. It was pretty :3:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm drat lucky too, there's at least three maybe four darn nice LYSs - wait, just thought of a fifth - within reasonable driving distance of me. Plus there's WEBS which isn't in reasonable driving distance (like two and a half hours) but still worth it. I mean, it's WEBS. It's knitting disney world.

prismeclipser
May 2, 2008
We have a monk come by every once in awhile and when he does, it goes from Stitch and Bitch to "Welcome to Religion class 101" where the Roman Catholics, Catholics, Southern Baptist, and Roman Orthodox get into huge "My church is the correct way" fights while I get to be the punching bag of "dirty earth religions," and going to hell because I'm not awesome enough to believe in a Christian religion. I still go because when he isn't there, it's a pretty awesome group though.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
We allow dogs into our store and have never had a problem, really. The people who usually bring them in are regulars though with really lovely dogs that are hypoallergenic. I figure if someone was upset we'd just ask them to put their dog outside, but everyone who comes in always seems enthralled.

We did have a German Shepherd come in yesterday, but he was the most well behaved dog to come in. Sat right down next to one of the tables for classes and chilled out there.

Edit: In all honesty I hate it when people tie their dogs up and they yelp outside. It distracts me from my work and I feel so bad for the dogs :(

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Sorry if this has been covered, but are there good online sites for getting yarn? I live in an area that doesn't have any specialty stores and I was looking for something nicer than what they have at Michaels. I'm looking for a dark green yarn that would be good for a scarf that can be ribbed. Any recommendations?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but are there good online sites for getting yarn? I live in an area that doesn't have any specialty stores and I was looking for something nicer than what they have at Michaels. I'm looking for a dark green yarn that would be good for a scarf that can be ribbed. Any recommendations?

I order from Knitpicks pretty often, although I think they only ship to the US and Canada. WEBS is also pretty good.

Edit: This in dark green looks pretty nice.

Gently Used Coat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 17, 2010

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Is there a simple guide for picking out yarn? I'm used to seeing it in the store and just feeling it for softness. I have no idea what worsted means and don't know what types of yarn are softer than others. For being a self-taught knitter for four years, I know surprisingly little about knitting. I still don't know intarsia or circular knitting...

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lackadaisical posted:

Is there a simple guide for picking out yarn? I'm used to seeing it in the store and just feeling it for softness. I have no idea what worsted means and don't know what types of yarn are softer than others. For being a self-taught knitter for four years, I know surprisingly little about knitting. I still don't know intarsia or circular knitting...

Worsted is a weight. Wool-Ease, Red Heart Super Saver, The Stitch Nation yarns, and Patons Classic Wool are all worsted weight. Pretty much like 70% of what you see in a Michaels or Joanns craft store is worsted weight. I'd say like 20% of the rest is sport weight yarns in the baby section. The rest is sock yarns, bulky and novelty stuff.

For what it's worth, Knitpicks descriptions of their yarns are generally pretty accurate so you can initially go off of the description. Except for Wool of the Andes, which they say is soft and I find scratchy (maybe I'm sensitive to Corriedale wool?) Are you knitting from a specific pattern? When I do that and I don't have access to the specific yarn listed, I look up the yarn on Ravelry and then look to buy a yarn that is the same weight and fiber content.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 17, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Lackadaisical posted:

It really comes down to what you want to use it for. Worsted - if we're talking about seeing the word "worsted" on the label of the yarn - is a thickness. It's like: lace weight yarn, fingering weight yarn, DK weight yarn, worsted yarn, bulky yarn in order of thickness (there are some others and in-betweens but those are the most common in my experience). Worsted also refers to a particular style of spinning yarn but that's not something you're likely to see on the label I would think.

"Softness" is kinda personal but in general the thickness of the actual hairs from the animal has something to do with it (also, I think, the length of the hairs but I could be wrong). The actual individual fibers in Cashmere are thinner than say, shetland wool.

Different fibers also have different qualities like drape and stretch. You wouldn't want to make a sock out of 100% bamboo yarn, because you want socks to fit quite closely and bamboo stretches out and never goes back. Wool has more "memory", and will bounce back into the shape you put it in. You wouldn't want to make a very bulky, heavy sweater out of alpaca for the same reason, it'll stretch itself out. A whole sweater of pure angora would be very soft but probably too hot to wear.

You may want to check out the "Knitters Book of Wool" and the "Knitters Book of Yarn" if you want an incredibly exhaustive study of almost every kind of fiber available.

And oh man, circular knitting rules so hard. You should it! Intarsia I can live without, personally. ;)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I just spent two hours debating on what socks my yellow yarn wants to be. I know the yellow yarn (bamboo/wool blend) wants to be socks. (I also know that it cannot be socks with cables, traveling stitches, or anything ribbed at all due to the fact they must be knit with my 2.25mm Signatures and ribbed = down one needle size for me)

I started browsing my yarn closet. I found some beautiful purple yarn I purchased on the yarn field trip--deep plum purple. It looks good next to the yellow. I started looking for colourwork I would like.

I found a cuff on the Estonian socks in "Around the World in Knitted Socks" that I like. That meant I needed a third yarn. So I pulled out the really pale lilac, planning on using yellow for the design colours and the purples for the background colours.

Two hours, and all I know is I'm making the cuff of this sock for my socks.

Sometimes I hate being so picky.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ooh, I love purple and yellow together, that's going to be gorgeous whatever you pick out for the body of the sock.

Do you guys think this http://www.ravelry.com/projects/annebrit/sullivan-street-bolero will look stupid with long sleeves? I want a shrug with long sleeves and I've got plenty of pale blue Cascade 220 and I kinda like the way this one looks except for the no sleeves part.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Oh man, I just wish I was a sock knitter. I know how to knit socks, and I like knitting them, but I can't stand the thought of putting handknit socks on my feet. Nobody will see them unless I go and buy special sock shoes.

I'm on my feet a lot and I just feel like they're all too nice to be hidden away on my stinky feets :(

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Do any of you knit for babies? I want to make some outfits (I'm due 1/18) and a lot of the moms I know use wool, but I'm worried about how it will feel on her skin and honestly how it will hold up considering I'll have to wash it 1,000 times. Any yarn recommendations or anything specific you've found to be awful?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know about clothes, but for blankets and toys for the love of GOD knit in cotton or something easily washable.

I have seen way too many expecting mothers knit their babies ultra-fancy blankets using super expensive yarn and it hurts every time I see it. :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

I don't know about clothes, but for blankets and toys for the love of GOD knit in cotton or something easily washable.

I have seen way too many expecting mothers knit their babies ultra-fancy blankets using super expensive yarn and it hurts every time I see it. :(

Oh my god yes D: People who buy loving cashmere blends for baby blankets. Aaaaaaa

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I won't even get superwash wool for babies--cotton or acrylic/wool blends (Beroco has one) only. They're only going to mess it up otherwise. Plus, what if the poor kid has a wool allergy? :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Cotton's a good choice, assuming it's nice. Maybe a cotton/superwash wool blend if you want warmness too.

I don't get why people knit baby stuff with nice (and expensive!) yarn. Goddamn, everything you put on or near the baby is going to be covered in poop and vomit. And they'll outgrow it in about six minutes! Not the time to pull out cashmere.

I have similar feelings about knitting a sweater for your dog out of fancy, non-washable yarn. You really want to hand wash dog pee out of a dog sweater? Really?

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

Ooh, I love purple and yellow together, that's going to be gorgeous whatever you pick out for the body of the sock.

Do you guys think this http://www.ravelry.com/projects/annebrit/sullivan-street-bolero will look stupid with long sleeves? I want a shrug with long sleeves and I've got plenty of pale blue Cascade 220 and I kinda like the way this one looks except for the no sleeves part.

I actually think its lack of sleeves looks silly. Long sleeves would be awesome, particularly if they belled out a bit at the wrist. Also, what color is it going to be?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Cawie McFuckyou posted:

I actually think its lack of sleeves looks silly. Long sleeves would be awesome, particularly if they belled out a bit at the wrist. Also, what color is it going to be?

Agreed. It looks like it would be awesome with sleeves. Sleeveless it looks a bit awkward to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I want to use this as a base to make a sweater with an Iron Man color scheme...