Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

You know, for someone who had a long drawn out fight with the Emperor and 800 years of general experience, Yoda didn't tell Luke poo poo.

Dude was 800 years old. He was so senile he was probably drooling offscreen and making GBS threads his sackcloth robe every ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You know, for someone who had a long drawn out fight with the Emperor and 800 years of general experience, Yoda didn't tell Luke poo poo.

"I came back to finish my training"
"No, uh, I think you did pretty good the last time. I mean, you almost got killed and Vader was taking it easy on you, but still, you're good. Thanks for stopping by"

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

You know, for someone who had a long drawn out fight with the Emperor

This, this right here is why prequels suck. The poo poo Yoda says in ROTJ made sense when it was just episodes IV-VI.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mister_Eel posted:

This, this right here is why prequels suck. The poo poo Yoda says in ROTJ made sense when it was just episodes IV-VI.

How would you have done the Yoda/Emperor confrontation?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

It not happening.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

What I mean is there WASN'T one when it was just the OT. Sorry my post wasn't very clear. Not being sarcastic.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

He certainly didn't try to save the Emperor or anyone else on the Death Star. :smith:
Wasn't there a huge alarm sounding, things falling down, and people running around in a panic as he dragged Vader to the nearby-shuttle-that-was-conveniently-vacant? I think they'd be able to tell that the entire freaking reactor just got torpedoed and had an old man fall into it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mister_Eel posted:

What I mean is there WASN'T one when it was just the OT. Sorry my post wasn't very clear. Not being sarcastic.

No, no, I was genuinely curious how you envisioned it. If Yoda knows about Vader=Anakin, then presumably the existence of the emperor would be known.

Actually...was the emperor ever mentioned by the Jedi in the OT? In any material?

If not, then his existence could conceivably be unknown to Yoda in the OT's writing.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

No, no, I was genuinely curious how you envisioned it. If Yoda knows about Vader=Anakin, then presumably the existence of the emperor would be known.

Actually...was the emperor ever mentioned by the Jedi in the OT? In any material?

If not, then his existence could conceivably be unknown to Yoda in the OT's writing.

I'm honestly not very articulate but I'll try to explain why this bothers me.

Assume there's just the OT. We don't know anything about the Emperor at the time of ESB when we first see him, we still know nothing about him when we first see him in ROTJ. There's no reason for us to think that Yoda has even met him. So it makes sense that Yoda doesn't give Luke any real advice towards fighting him even though Yoda was obviously correct in stating that Luke already knew everything he needed in order to face Vader and the Emperor. We were free to imagine what the relationship between Yoda and Palpatine had been(much like Obi mentioning the clone wars).

Now we have the prequels and the first rule of prequels is they never get the details and that not everything always matches up. So now we have people sperging over something as minor as what Yoda said. Now that we have the prequels we know about the fight between Yoda and Palp so it doesn't make any sense why Yoda didn't say anything like " Watch out for that lighting you must." or "A master of deception he is" and given George's awesome writing skills those lines probably would have been worse then mine. So here we are sperging over a 1 minute scene because of a prequel.

And that's why I loving hate prequels.

Anyways, I don't envision anything in particular. I could write fanfiction (HA!) about what I think the prequels should have been, but as much of a sperg as I am, I'm not going down that road. Lucas sucks. His writing sucks. He took what could have been three of the loving GREATEST films and turned them into complete and total poo poo. Not that I'm bitter.

PS. Do we even know that the Emperor is force sensitive in the OT before he shocks Luke? I honestly can't remember.

PSS. This post really doesn't answer your question. But all I was really saying in the first place was I hate prequels of any kind and I typed all this crap so I'm going to post it anyways.

EDIT: Ok here's something that I do envision. Here's how Padme should have died. First, totally erase the whole scene where Padme talks to Anakin on Mustafar. Now right when Obi-Wan jumps off the robot onto the shore of the lava river, Anakin should have followed him. Then Padme shows up and tries to convince him to stop. Anakin chokes/throws/whatever her and Obi uses the opportunity to strike. Obi-Wan doesn't kill Anakin because he's too busy trying to save Padme. He stop only to take the lightsaber. Zoom to Pollis Massa where the babies are born and BAM no more need for the whole "she's lost the will to live" crap. Also explains why Obi-Wan didn't kill Anakin.

But god see what a mess these films are? If you cut out the part where Padme and Anakin talk on the landing pad then how do you explain where Obi-Wan was during this time blah blah blah. It's pointless and now I've gone down the dark road that leads to fan fiction. I blame you for this Mister Roboto.

Mister_Eel fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 14, 2010

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Mister_Eel posted:

PS. Do we even know that the Emperor is force sensitive in the OT before he shocks Luke? I honestly can't remember.
The first thing he says in ESB is "there is a great disturbance in the force" so it's clear he is. He frequently says he has foreseen things in ROTJ. He's got Vader cowed yet he looks like a frail old man, so on first viewing we know he must be pretty drat powerful.

But we don't see him actually do a single threatening thing, let alone use the force, until he starts hitting Luke with the force lightning. A lot of the prequel stuff seems very out of character because of this. I was sort of disappointed to see him use a lightsaber and throw things around and jump all over the place; it seemed beneath him.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 14, 2010

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

T-1000 posted:

The first thing he says in ESB is "there is a great disturbance in the force" so it's clear he is. He frequently says he has foreseen things in ROTJ. He's got Vader cowed yet he looks like a frail old man, so on first viewing we know he must be pretty drat powerful.

But we don't see him actually do a single threatening thing, let alone use the force, until he starts hitting Luke with the force lightning.

Oh yeah duh. I need to rewatch the OT again so I can make fun of the PT.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

T-1000 posted:

I was sort of disappointed to see him use a lightsaber and throw things around and jump all over the place; it seemed beneath him.

That's really one of the worst things in the entire PT, they completely destroyed two great characters who were basically the oldest (and most powerful?) Force users alive, ie. Yoda and Palpatine. Having them jump around like loving superballs, throwing space dishes and space chairs and whatever around in a ridiculous geriatric ADHD fight was pretty much the lowest point of ROTS and that's somewhat of an achievement in itself. Nice work making two cool and mysteriously powerful characters look totally retarded.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The thing I never got was how force lightning made Palpatine look all decrepit. When Luke gets hit for just as long he looks the same, he's fine. It really made no sense other than Lucas didn't have a good reason for why the Emperor looked pretty normal for most the PT.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ask and there's a bunch of Star Wars fans who already hashed it out over a span of months and pestered Leland Chee into writing an article.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mask_%28Sith_Alchemy%29

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The thing I never got was how force lightning made Palpatine look all decrepit. When Luke gets hit for just as long he looks the same, he's fine. It really made no sense other than Lucas didn't have a good reason for why the Emperor looked pretty normal for most the PT.

There was no good reason why he shouldn't look pretty normal even at the end of RotS either. Him simply not aging well or doing some stupid stuff with Force experimenting in the next 20 years would be good enough as explanation why Palpatine looked far shittier than he should in the OT. It was an unnecessary appearance change, probably to hit the idiots who claimed Palpatine and Sidious aren't the same guy and Chancellor Palpatine isn't Emperor Palpatine over the head with it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The whole alchemy thing is pretty much how I interpreted it before RotS so at least someone else thought the same as me. Star Wars is honestly one of the best ventures in collaborative storytelling ever.

If you honestly couldn't tell that Palpatine and Sidious were the same person you're beyond clueless. It was pretty loving obvious considering he doesn't even hide it in RotJ, a film that came out 23 years before RotS. I was at the end of the 6th grade when Phantom Menace came out and I knew they were the same person.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 14, 2010

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
As a ten-year-old I just thought that he was so strong in the dark side it was burning out his body. Like the head witch in The Witches, or to a lesser extent Gollum with the Ring. The power corrupts you. The Emperor embodied spiritual corruption, and him having sold his soul and his body for power made perfect sense. Maybe this could have been shown with a bit of ageing towards the end of RoTS to show he's finally using all his power and it's consuming him. None of this insta-ageing crap.

In the same vein, Yoda was dedicated to the light side of the force, and it kept him alive for nine hundred years. He even sort of implies that the force can prolong life, just not indefinitely; when Luke says he can't die, he says "strong am I in the force, but not that strong". This could just be a species thing; if the prequels were never made it'd be open to speculation.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Mister Roboto posted:

In ROTJ, Yoda says, "Do not underestimate the power of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

NGL posted:

In ROTJ, Yoda says, "Do not underestimate the power of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will."

Also, Kenobi: "Then the Emperor has already won."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

T-1000 posted:

As a ten-year-old I just thought that he was so strong in the dark side it was burning out his body. Like the head witch in The Witches, or to a lesser extent Gollum with the Ring. The power corrupts you. The Emperor embodied spiritual corruption, and him having sold his soul and his body for power made perfect sense. Maybe this could have been shown with a bit of ageing towards the end of RoTS to show he's finally using all his power and it's consuming him. None of this insta-ageing crap.

In the same vein, Yoda was dedicated to the light side of the force, and it kept him alive for nine hundred years. He even sort of implies that the force can prolong life, just not indefinitely; when Luke says he can't die, he says "strong am I in the force, but not that strong". This could just be a species thing; if the prequels were never made it'd be open to speculation.

Pretty much the same here but considering Chewbacca's age, he was 200 during ANH, I just thought Yoda's people lived a long time.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I was just reading the wookieepedia and found this...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_apparel
"It has long been hypothesized that the first known Jedi came from Tatooine, and as such, wore loosely fitting robes made of low quality fabric."

Is this true? Did the Jedi come from Tatooine? Where did they get this idea? :psyduck:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

oratiO_obliqua posted:

That's really one of the worst things in the entire PT, they completely destroyed two great characters who were basically the oldest (and most powerful?) Force users alive, ie. Yoda and Palpatine. Having them jump around like loving superballs, throwing space dishes and space chairs and whatever around in a ridiculous geriatric ADHD fight was pretty much the lowest point of ROTS and that's somewhat of an achievement in itself. Nice work making two cool and mysteriously powerful characters look totally retarded.

My kid brought home a Clone wars comic compilation from the library and made me read it to him (he's only 4) one of the stories pissed me off immensly is essentially had Yoda carrying a massive crate (30 feet big!) on his back into some no-name town that was about to be invaded by a droid army. There's a bit of Yoda being Yoda while interacting with the towns residents and then the droid army turns up. And the greatest Jedi master in the galaxy pushes a button on his big crate and out pops a giant laser cannon which he uses to eliminate the droids. WTF???? whoever wrote this should be shot.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

T-1000 posted:

But we don't see him actually do a single threatening thing, let alone use the force, until he starts hitting Luke with the force lightning.

Besides claiming clairvoyance, the first time the Emperor uses the Force directly is to release Luke's cuffs. You can tell from Luke's expression that this was not only unexpected, but pretty impressive. He also dismissed the guards at that point and accepted Luke's lightsaber as "the weapon of a Jedi"...to me implying he didn't require one to be secure.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ScottyJSno posted:

"It has long been hypothesized that the first known Jedi came from Tatooine, and as such, wore loosely fitting robes made of low quality fabric."

Is this true? Did the Jedi come from Tatooine? Where did they get this idea? :psyduck:

Couldn't tell you whose rear end that idea was pulled out of. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tython

haitfais fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 15, 2010

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

ScottyJSno posted:

They were playing the odds. Since about a third of all things that happen in the entire galaxy happen on Tattooine it follows that the force was discovered there. Hyperspace engines were also invented there, as well as the first functional Republic and the highest calorie-per acre strain of grains. Tatooine also hosted the First Contact between humanity and an alien species and Mos Eisely was where the high-density metals that would be used in space ship hulls were first formulated.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Decius posted:

There was no good reason why he shouldn't look pretty normal even at the end of RotS either. Him simply not aging well or doing some stupid stuff with Force experimenting in the next 20 years would be good enough as explanation why Palpatine looked far shittier than he should in the OT. It was an unnecessary appearance change, probably to hit the idiots who claimed Palpatine and Sidious aren't the same guy and Chancellor Palpatine isn't Emperor Palpatine over the head with it.

I heard that Samuel L Jackson wanted to do something bad rear end and important in the movie so Lucas wrote that part in to make Mace more important

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I heard that Samuel L Jackson wanted to do something bad rear end and important in the movie so Lucas wrote that part in to make Mace more important

I thought the whole character of Mace Windu was because Jackson lobbied like hell to be in Star Wars.

They did something similar at the request of the Backstreet Boys, but their musical number was cut from AotC due to fan protest. In hindsight, it wouldn't have hurt, it could only have made that movie better

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Angry Midwesterner posted:

They did something similar at the request of the Backstreet Boys, but their musical number was cut from AotC due to fan protest. In hindsight, it wouldn't have hurt, it could only have made that movie better

Essentially correct, except for the wrong band, and not a musical number but a background cameo:

Wikipedia posted:

E! Online reported that Lucas had allowed 'N Sync to film a small background cameo appearance, in order to satisfy his daughters. They were subsequently cut out of the film in post-production.

More details: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/*NSYNC

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Now I don't mind a dude doing things for his kids, but does he have to wreck his franchise with it?

Personally I'm surprised his adopted kids aren't disdainful or bitter about Star Wars. Yet.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don't know if Lucas meant to do this, but drat.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bieber Fever in the new Blu-Ray release!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't know if Lucas meant to do this, but drat.

I'm not even much of a Star Wars nerd and even I have seen this about a million times.

(it's cool though, are there other theories like it?)

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Bieber Fever in the new Blu-Ray release!

Lucas is going to digitally replace Jake Lloyd with Justin Bieber

EDIT: Didn't see it mentioned earlier but TFUII demo is available on xbox live/PSN.

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 15, 2010

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now I don't mind a dude doing things for his kids, but does he have to wreck his franchise with it?

What? Buddy, are you seriously implying a tiny 10 second cameo by a band wrecks the franchise?

I'm pretty spergy, but that's seriously over the top.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

What? Buddy, are you seriously implying a tiny 10 second cameo by a band wrecks the franchise?

I'm pretty spergy, but that's seriously over the top.

I heard he stuck Jar Jar and whole Gungan concept into TPM to please his adopted son. Said sons cameo was equally pointless in ROTS.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He let his daughter be in all 3 prequels, and he shouldn't have, because she's a fatfat.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Casimir Radon posted:

He let his daughter be in all 3 prequels, and he shouldn't have, because she's a fatfat.

Goddamn you for making me look up "fatfat" as if it were an actual species name.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

SeanBeansShako posted:

I heard he stuck Jar Jar and whole Gungan concept into TPM to please his adopted son. Said sons cameo was equally pointless in ROTS.

I thought that scene was great. It worked as a time marker to note the conclusion of the operation in the temple and I thought it was pretty dramatic to see one of the last remaining Jedi - just a kid - being mopped up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Casimir Radon posted:

I like to think of her as "target audience"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And those blue humanoid chicks in Mass Effect just lost their sex appeal.