Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I wish the Pod F Tompkast was just an hour or whatever of him talking set to music.

I really like the Jen Kirkman phone calls. The ongoing skit about the "world's greatest musical" is getting better but didn't really click for me the first 2 episodes. I love all those characters when he does them on CDR but it's been a little stilted on the podcast so far. This latest one was looser and pretty good. I haven't liked the taped bits from his Largo shows. They were probably hilarious in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I agree, PFT is probably my favorite podcast guest and makes any show a multiple listen, but his own podcast isn't killing me dead with laughter like I thought it would.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm going to plug another one of my podcasting projects, since it seems to be in line with the thread:

Those drat Ross Kids

It's a show that I do with my brother, in a very similar vein to You Look Nice Today with a little Uhh Yeah Dude mixed in. We're keeping the episodes short right now, but they've been getting a good response. I submit it for your approval, and welcome any feedback.

iTunes link.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I miss the Best Show :(.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Narwhale posted:

I miss the Best Show :(.

Yeah, what's the deal? I know he was talking about quitting a few weeks ago, but I assumed he was joking . . .

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Mister J posted:

Yeah, what's the deal? I know he was talking about quitting a few weeks ago, but I assumed he was joking . . .

I'm assuming it was planned and he was just trolling the audience. I know Tom's had stuff going on like the Matador Vegas stuff and Gonerfest. Plus the WFMU schedule was just released, so if he really was quitting TBS probably wouldn't be on there.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008

Econosaurus posted:

Mbmbam wont answer my question :smith:

I can never think of a good enough question to ask! But they must be flooded with questions now that they're endorsed by the Hoff.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Nothing is more missed than You Look Nice Today. I just wished they would say if it's canceled or not. I need closure :(.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Nothing is more missed than You Look Nice Today. I just wished they would say if it's canceled or not. I need closure :(.

The three of them are active on Twitter, but I haven't been able to see any references to the show.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Doug Loves Movies - 10/12/10

This was a pretty visual episode.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
But how was Comedy Death Ray? :v:

Can't wait for friday.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
A new one I've been checking out is The Podcast Eating Contest. They don't have a set format yet, and it's just three dudes talking, but they're pretty funny. If they hit their stride they could be amazing.

It sounds silly, but I was laughing so hard at their show today on the bus that I had to go into a laugh seizure rather than laugh so loud as to disturb people. They're kind of an overly silly and absurd UYD.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Rudy Riot posted:

This was a pretty visual episode.

Awesome! As I've said before, if I went to LA I'd try to be at the UCB every night.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Rudy Riot posted:

I really like the Jen Kirkman phone calls. The ongoing skit about the "world's greatest musical" is getting better but didn't really click for me the first 2 episodes. I love all those characters when he does them on CDR but it's been a little stilted on the podcast so far. This latest one was looser and pretty good. I haven't liked the taped bits from his Largo shows. They were probably hilarious in person.

I think he needs to do a separate podcast that's entirely Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

And yeah, the Largo bits don't really work just as poorly-recorded audio clips without visuals.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Majorian posted:

I think he needs to do a separate podcast that's entirely Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

And yeah, the Largo bits don't really work just as poorly-recorded audio clips without visuals.

I love love love the lost project so far, but his Garry Marshall impression in the latest edition was kind of lax. He was a lot funnier and more bombastic when he improved (improv'd?) him on that one episode of CDR. The way he yelled during the whole call was hilarious. I think we might be in for a John C. Reilly/Cake Boss call on the next podcast, so I can't friggin' wait!

There need to be more nerds in the world so Paul F. Tompkins can finally get the propers he deserves for being awesome and amazing. The goddamn Situation is a loving household name and this dude languishes in almost total obscurity. Stupid kids and their goddamn reality televisions.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

DangerDummy! posted:

I love love love the lost project so far, but his Garry Marshall impression in the latest edition was kind of lax. He was a lot funnier and more bombastic when he improved (improv'd?) him on that one episode of CDR. The way he yelled during the whole call was hilarious. I think we might be in for a John C. Reilly/Cake Boss call on the next podcast, so I can't friggin' wait!

There need to be more nerds in the world so Paul F. Tompkins can finally get the propers he deserves for being awesome and amazing. The goddamn Situation is a loving household name and this dude languishes in almost total obscurity. Stupid kids and their goddamn reality televisions.

I need more stories about sentient cakes in my life.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Rudy Riot posted:

Is it just me or does Wee Man look like mini Benson. Imagine if he had the beard.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Majorian posted:

I thought the Largo bit on the 3rd episode where he's fake drunk dialing a stranger was amazing. But of course playing prerecorded audio is perfect for a podcast.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Just listened to the most recent Smodcast with Kevin Smith's mom. She's been on there before, but it had been a while. I just realized how much Walt Flanagan sounds like Kevin's mom, not just in accent but also in cadence and mannerisms and occasionally getting ashamed by something. Kind of creepy once you notice it.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.
No love for This week with Larry Miller?

Its pretty good and upbeat, its just Larry Miller sitting there telling stories about whatever he feels like for 1/2 hour. Its pretty entertaining and I think there's only about 5 or 6 episodes so far.

jbrazeal
Feb 20, 2004

Why are you wearing that stupid rabbit suit?
I am finding so many good podcasts in this thread.

I really love Never Not Funny and have been listening to them since season 2.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Mike Birbiglia is on the new CDR. I just clicked play so I don't know how it is but I'm sure it's good.

If you haven't heard Birbiglia's stand-up, do yourself a favor.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Binton posted:

No love for This week with Larry Miller?

Its pretty good and upbeat, its just Larry Miller sitting there telling stories about whatever he feels like for 1/2 hour. Its pretty entertaining and I think there's only about 5 or 6 episodes so far.

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's basically a half hour of the best boozy old guy stories. Larry Miller cannot go five words without mentioning drinking.

The story of him drunkenly banging that hooker with his friends and his friend almost sexually assaulting another friend's mother was a particular treat. Yes, this is a story Larry Miller discussed in his latest podcast.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Wyld Cannon posted:

I agree, PFT is probably my favorite podcast guest and makes any show a multiple listen, but his own podcast isn't killing me dead with laughter like I thought it would.

I agree, but he is brilliant and it's only 3 episodes in. Once he gets a hang of what's funny and what doesn't work I"m sure they'll pick up substantially. The fake drunken phone call was priceless though.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Mike Birbiglia is on the new CDR. I just clicked play so I don't know how it is but I'm sure it's good.

He was also on the Nerdist which was a bit more entertaining.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The Senate posted:

He was also on the Nerdist which was a bit more entertaining.

For sure. If you can, try to track down Birbiglia on This American Life. His story on sleepwalking is insane. In fact, I think the current TAL episode "Fear of Sleep" features that one if I'm not mistaken.

e: found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2KRBh1MOA

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 14, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

For sure. If you can, try to track down Birbiglia on This American Life. His story on sleepwalking is insane. In fact, I think the current TAL episode "Fear of Sleep" features that one if I'm not mistaken.

e: found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2KRBh1MOA

Speaking of TAL, it's a terrific podcast, even if it's not often related to comedy. I'm having an issue with it, though - I use Google Reader / Listen to listen to it, and the last couple of episodes haven't shown up. Anyone else have this problem?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

caveman thug poo poo posted:

This episode is dragging for me. Just low energy in general. Birbiglia is everywhere right now! (Over exposed book tour)

EDIT: Wow... This episode is really sucking actually. I mean too much music, reading out of the Birbiglia book and then Besser's terrible John Lennon bit really wearing on me. Also the whole Besser as Zuckerberg just doesn't have any punch. So not great.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 14, 2010

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

King Lou posted:

This episode is dragging for me. Just low energy in general. Birbiglia is everywhere right now!

I liked him on CDR (mainly because the other guests were funny), but his episode of Nerdist is the first one I've ever stopped early. It was just boring.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Birbiglia's part of the newest This American Life is my favorite Birbiglia so far. Also, I absolutly LOVE that podcasts are recognized as such a viable form of media that they now have a circuit. First everybody from The League was on CDR, DLM, The Nerdist, now Mike Birbiglia is doing TAL, CDR and Nerdist. Has it always been like this, at least for established comedians? Or is this new?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

webster876 posted:

Birbiglia's part of the newest This American Life is my favorite Birbiglia so far. Also, I absolutly LOVE that podcasts are recognized as such a viable form of media that they now have a circuit. First everybody from The League was on CDR, DLM, The Nerdist, now Mike Birbiglia is doing TAL, CDR and Nerdist. Has it always been like this, at least for established comedians? Or is this new?

Well the entire forum is kinda new, so it's all new. Comedians have always had hard time promoting their gigs. When have you ever seen an ad on TV or the radio telling you where to go to see a stand up comedian perform live? Almost always on a show where they had to perform live.

Birbiglia is a far better writer that a performer in my opinion. I've heard him on This American Life, and on WTF, and he's definitely good at writing material, and not as good at presenting it. It makes me kind of sad, but comedy authors make chump change.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 14, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

webster876 posted:

It could be coincidence that Birbiglia's story was on TAL, because it was recorded ages ago and actually has already been aired on the show. I think the episode is a repeat, but I don't recognize the other stories so they might just have plucked his bit from another episode because it fit the theme.

I hope one day TAL does an episode that's just a compilation of Birbiglia's bits because they're my favorite (along with Hodgeman).

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

webster876 posted:

I think the circuit is new, a lot of guys have done their promotions on the Adam Carolla show but I only recently noticed people making the rounds on all the other shows.

Birbiglia is a funny standup, I love his specials (they're streaming on netflix), but he's not really good at improv or coming up with jokes on the fly. I wasn't a big fan of this weeks CDR, it's a shame because I was looking forward to listening.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!

King Lou posted:

This episode is dragging for me. Just low energy in general. Birbiglia is everywhere right now! (Over exposed book tour)

EDIT: Wow... This episode is really sucking actually. I mean too much music, reading out of the Birbiglia book and then Besser's terrible John Lennon bit really wearing on me. Also the whole Besser as Zuckerberg just doesn't have any punch. So not great.

I quit this weeks CDR once they busted out the guitar. Might want to skip this one.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Steve Slavery posted:

Birbiglia is a funny standup, I love his specials (they're streaming on netflix), but he's not really good at improv or coming up with jokes on the fly. I wasn't a big fan of this weeks CDR, it's a shame because I was looking forward to listening.

Yeah, he didn't really seem to get any of Aukerman's silly wordplay jokes (so he'd probably be a real snoozer on Never Not Funny). On the Nerdist Chris was saying how Birbiglia is really into writing his jokes and is constantly writing so that probably gives creedence to him not being great at improv.

I did enjoy the weird Beatles trailer in the episode though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wyld Cannon posted:

Yeah, he didn't really seem to get any of Aukerman's silly wordplay jokes (so he'd probably be a real snoozer on Never Not Funny). On the Nerdist Chris was saying how Birbiglia is really into writing his jokes and is constantly writing so that probably gives creedence to him not being great at improv.

I did enjoy the weird Beatles trailer in the episode though.

I was cracking up at the Beatles trailer, it's pretty much what I was thinking when I saw the actual trailer. There were definitely good parts of the episode but overall it was pretty boring.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

King Lou posted:

I ended up shutting the computer off and going to bed before they even got to the half-way mark. Partly due to being sick as poo poo and succumbing to the NyQuil haze I was in, and partly because yeah, the episode was pretty boring.

I really want to read Birbiglia's book now though. His story was funny and I enjoy that kind of writing.

Also I thought the singer dude was 'OK' but that schtick gets old reaaaaally fast.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 14, 2010

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I liked this week's CDR. Yeah, probably won't be remembered as one of the bests, but it made me laugh out loud enough that it was worth it. I agree it started off really slow, and I took a break from listening like twenty minutes into it. But then Birbiglia started reading his stories, which are amazing, and Besser came in as Zuckerburg, which amused me to no end. Then the Nowhere Boy trailer, which is barely an exaggeration. The music got better too, I thought. Solid.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This week's show definitely gets better once the guest comes in, and we get to Mike's Musical Memoir (with Mark!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

King Lou posted:

I really don't like Besser on CDR. I'll give him all the credit in the world for being in UCB and all, but any time I've seen or heard him solo he's been pretty terrible. His Kanye East (ahahahaha it's a Jap version of Kanye West!) schtick during one of the Cyber Thug takeover shows was really loving painful. Cyber Thug's not one of my favorites anyway, which is weird since I'm a big fan of Jerry Minor, but that one was especially bad.

• Locked thread