Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

-Blackadder- posted:

Since we're going into filler I thought I'd ask are any of the Naruto movies any good? I've never bothered to watch any of them because I was under the impression that they weren't canon and of course all of the non canon Naruto I've experienced was terrible.

But are there ones I should be checking out?

The Shippuuden movies I've seen are a mix of 10 minutes of :hellyeah: fighting and an hour of :bang: plot and villains with completely retarded abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yes that describes every Naruto movie. They're the same as all the series filler but with good fight animation:

Naruto meets kid who does not BELIEVE IN HIS OR HER SELF
Villains show up and wreck poo poo
Supporting cast show up and wreck supporting villains
Naruto teachs kid to BELIEVE IN HIS OR HER SELF
Naruto wrecks main villain

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Sindai posted:

Naruto meets kid who does not BELIEVE IN HIS OR HER SELF

Or in the most recent movie, zombie-Kakashi.

Recycled Reader
Mar 19, 2005

These books are made for walking
I have always though the naruto movies were in the "ok" category. I never mind watching them, and theres usually some pretty good action scenes. The plots are generally terrible, so dont go into them looking for a meaningful story.
The obvious exception is the 3rd Shippuden movie that didnt have a plot at all, which turned out to be very surreal.
I think the best movie so far was the 2nd shippuden movie. It had the least obnoxious characters and the story kind of made sense. The worst was that god awful 3rd original naruto movie with the circus. I get really bad Vietnam flashbacks when I think of that movie

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
What was that 30 minute "jump" episode? Its when sasuke and naruto are still on a team and come up against a dude in a cave, and they have to use teamwork to kill him, but it ends up being a test from orochimaru on sasuke? It had really awesome animation, and was a pretty decent fight, but completely out of the timeline.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
So we're really into filler now? :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah, the next couple episode titles are things like iruka's decision or something along those lines. There's also an episode title referring to the kid from the zabuza arc? idkwtf

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
In regard to one of your spoilers and upcoming events in the series, manga spoiler clarification: If it's talking about Inari, that sounds to be canon material from the manga. Which means the filler might be over, or getting some manga content included.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

What was that 30 minute "jump" episode?

The Naruto Jump Special. Really nice episode with some fancy cell shading.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

razamataza posted:

The Naruto Jump Special. Really nice episode with some fancy cell shading.

Wasn't that made with and to show off the models from one of the games?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Probably, since it looks exactly like Clash of Ninja Revolution on the Wii.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
well 176 is out and yeah looks like were in an young naruto, sort of iruka based filler.

I don't know about you guys, but i'm kind of sick of young naruto. The timeskip made naruto a lot better. But i guess this is better then the usual "naruto has to protect the girl who doesn't believe in herself" filler plot.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I agree with you but it's nice to hear the old music again. :shobon:

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Shikamaru continues to be the smartest character

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

I think Naruto's past is actually alright to watch compared to most other filler. V:shobon:V

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

This illustrates the hard childhood he had far better than vague montages of people silently staring at him and his fox shadow. It probably should have come earlier though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Next week's episode looks like it might mix in some canon material, saw a few shots of sasuke and co. in the preview.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
This filler is actually pretty interesting. I agree with Slave. The old music, when used well, actually seems better than a lot of the newer stuff.

All the references to this point in Naruto's life from the first series just made it seem like people ignored him. People are being outright dicks to him in this.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The last five minutes of this week's episode (178) are canon material.

Right back to filler next week, though. But if you're avoiding filler there are a few plot-important lines of dialogue in this episode.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Actually some of the last few minutes are filler, which is actually pretty good content. The anime explains Suigetsu going to get his sword back and shows Yamato arriving at Konoha and seeing it destroyed. Both were not in the manga.

All in all, this was a nice little filler arc which helped flesh out Naruto's lovely childhood. Next week's episode looks like a serious retred, I didn't see anything new in the episode preview other than updated animation for existing content of Kakashi being their new squad leader.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
I'll kinda be sad to see this little arc go away. 178 had some really good animation as well.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well, I'm thinking about reading ahead in the Manga. Without spoilers, is there anything really interesting coming up immediately that I should wait to see animated?

Unlike, I think, a lot of people I've never really been able to get into the Manga of any of these shows. The panel reading direction always throws me off and it just ends up feeling like I'm reading an extended written spoiler version of the show. But I don't have anything better to do and I thought I saw it mentioned in a few places that the story isn't very good post-Pain for a long time so I might as well.

Can someone, without actually spoiling anything, tell me how good the next arcs are? If they're worth waiting to see animated etc. How they stack up to previous arcs and the like?

Off the top of my head the only thing that I'd be worried about spoiling myself on by reading the Manga is the (and I'm not even if this has happened yet) prospect of Sasuke walking in to Konoha and confronting everyone and getting some pay back for the despicable things that were done to his brother/clan. He's got a legitimate beef and I'm interested to see how that's resolved.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 27, 2010

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

-Blackadder- posted:

Can someone, without actually spoiling anything, tell me how the good the next arcs are? If they're worth waiting to be animated etc. How they stack up to previous arcs and the like?

The biggest deal about the immediate future canon is a ton of fights that will undoubtedly be much better animated for obvious reasons. Some of them are also confusing to read, in fact I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the hell is happening in a certain panel :v:

There are some reveals and :catdrugs: plot twists along the way, but as of now the manga is just finishing buildup for the endgame. By catching up you'll just be in a spot where there's not even much to speculate because a wrap-up miniarc just ended and the next chapter that presumably starts up the next arc is in two weeks. Unless you're really itching to know what happens next I'd recommend just going with the show for now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

-Blackadder- posted:

Well, I'm thinking about reading ahead in the Manga. Without spoilers, is there anything really interesting coming up immediately that I should wait to see animated?

Unlike, I think, a lot of people I've never really been able to get into the Manga of any of these shows. The panel reading direction always throws me off and it just ends up feeling like I'm reading an extended written spoiler version of the show. But I don't have anything better to do and I thought I saw it mentioned in a few places that the story isn't very good post-Pain for a long time so I might as well.

Can someone, without actually spoiling anything, tell me how good the next arcs are? If they're worth waiting to see animated etc. How they stack up to previous arcs and the like?

Off the top of my head the only thing that I'd be worried about spoiling myself on by reading the Manga is the (and I'm not even if this has happened yet) prospect of Sasuke walking in to Konoha and confronting everyone and getting some pay back for the despicable things that were done to his brother/clan. He's got a legitimate beef and I'm interested to see how that's resolved.

I personally think the upcomming arc is pretty good. As it further shows Sasuke's Descent into batshit insanity. But if you hate even the thought of Sasuke or Naruto not wanting to Kill Sasuke then like others you will probably hate it.

Also "A Cave-in born of HATRED™"(It's really a Pity that that won't be superimposed into the Anime

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hmm, sounds like I should just find something else to occupy my time with until some new episodes come out then.

I really haven't watched any of the new shows that came out in the past few years. Maybe I'll head over to the recommendations thread and see if there's anything good that's come out over the last few seasons. Must be at least a few things.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Hmmm, some interesting developments along with mostly filler.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

That was interesting, I'm glad I watched the episode. Also I hope the filler is over after next week, it's almost as if they're adding filler to all of Part one! (oh god please don't do this :gonk: )

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Having a vital canon plot point in an episode that had an entirely filler preview and episode title is psyduck-worthy.

Looks like they'll be retreading the Land of Waves in the filler part. Hopefully no more than that. Though I must say the addition of Kakashiface made the classroom scenes worth it. :kakashi:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tonfa posted:

Having a vital canon plot point in an episode that had an entirely filler preview and episode title is psyduck-worthy.

Looks like they'll be retreading the Land of Waves in the filler part. Hopefully no more than that. Though I must say the addition of Kakashiface made the classroom scenes worth it. :kakashi:

Care to spoiler the plot point for those of us who don't give a poo poo to watch filler?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Mr. Crow posted:

Care to spoiler the plot point for those of us who don't give a poo poo to watch filler?

Okay, the canon points that have been injected into the filler episodes so far are:

- Madara intends to have a new pawn to sync to the giant Akatsuki death machine now that Pain is dead, implying using Sasuke for this purpose.
- Kakashi was suggested for Hokage, but the Fire country's Daimyo selected Danzo to be the 6th Hokage instead.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

To add to that spoiler, it should be noted Danzo nominated himself after kakashi was nominated, a dick move on his part.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Wait did Tsunade (however the gently caress you spell it) die? Or is she stepping down? I can't even remember now to be honest I just remember her being conspicuously absent from the last non-filler episode where they were praising him and whatnot.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Wait did Tsunade (however the gently caress you spell it) die? Or is she stepping down? I can't even remember now to be honest I just remember her being conspicuously absent from the last non-filler episode where they were praising him and whatnot.

She went into a coma.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

She is in a kakashi-style "wahhh I used up too much chakra" coma and will probably only be awakened by the spirit of youth or something.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This has been bugging me. I'm trying to remember an episode I saw where Konohamaru and his crew each do kind of like an individual introduction pose and say a few lines about what great ninja they are. I wish I could remember more but that's it. I can't even remember if it was from part 1 or 2. Anyway, anyone know which episode I'm talking about?

If I could find a list of all the episodes where Konohamaru appeared I could probably track it down that way as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

-Blackadder- posted:

This has been bugging me. I'm trying to remember an episode I saw where Konohamaru and his crew each do kind of like an individual introduction pose and say a few lines about what great ninja they are. I wish I could remember more but that's it. I can't even remember if it was from part 1 or 2. Anyway, anyone know which episode I'm talking about?

If I could find a list of all the episodes where Konohamaru appeared I could probably track it down that way as well.

If I ever need to find something from a specific Episode or chapter for some reason I go here

http://leafninja.com/anime-1.php

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dexo posted:

If I ever need to find something from a specific Episode or chapter for some reason I go here

http://leafninja.com/anime-1.php

This helped me find it. Thanks!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Arg, looks like even more filler for next week as well. Seems like you can get away with watching the first and last couple minutes of an episode to get canon material. Anyone else notice really decent animation in this filler?

Also this has to be the most boring OP for shippuden to date. ten ten's time to shine in the ED however!

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah the filler was surprisingly decent but next weeks looks baaaad :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Ok, think I'm done with filler now.

[manga]Can we please get to the tale of God Mode Sasuke spamming and plot armouring his way through countless battles?

• Locked thread